jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Sola Akingbola solo album- Routes To Roots
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

deesh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 15:20    Reply with quote

You can also hear 1 minute snippets of selected tracks at the above link.

I suggest Ninu Opon Ori Tiwa, Ifanla and Enia Lasoo Mi Wink

deesh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 16:33    Reply with quote

Just discovered that this is available on USA Itunes for 9.99. Might be available under other countries also. Check, check it!

cosmic gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 17:53    Reply with quote

great news deesh thanks sur i will check it Laughing

deesh

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 03:57    Reply with quote

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cd-reviews/yoruba-drums-from-nigeria/2008/05/09/1210131243530.html

Review from Sunday Morning Herald:

Yoruba Drums From Nigeria
Bruce Elder, reviewer
May 9, 2008

Sola Akingbola, percussionist with Jamiroquai, delivers a mesmerising mixture of the ancient and the contemporary.

Yoruba Drums From Nigeria

The prospect of an hour's drumming, even if it is the Yoruba drums from Nigeria, will send most people rushing for their ambient albums. And this album from Sola Akingbola, the percussionist with Jamiroquai, starts with such a full frontal assault from myriad different African drums that such a percussive prospect seems to have become a reality. In fact this is much more than endless percussion.

Focusing on three specific Yoruba drums - the iyaalu, bata and sakara - and with Akingbola's percussion enriching the sound, this is a wonderland of traditional and contemporary Nigerian compositions, most of which are richly enhanced by vocals from Akingbola, Joy Aigbekan and Abiola Dosunmu. The result is a mesmerising mixture of ancient African sounds with a decidedly contemporary feel. At various points there are hints of jazz and Cuban influences.

This is an album made by Akingbola, who has spent most of his life in Britain, as an attempt to discover and explore his African roots. As such it is a genuinely fascinating and vibrant exercise in music which is deeply rooted in the traditions of the Yoruba and yet sounds both accessible and hugely exciting.

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 15:47    Reply with quote

i finally got it!!! Very Happy

(on my birthday my mum asked what i want as present, i said: "i don't need nothing", but later i remembered i was wishing to hear sola's album!!!
and now i finally got it!!!
i love it, the sound is so clear and good, the different sounds from the different drums sounds really deep and sola's voice is amazing (he should have more musical and voice influence in jamiroquai!)

i love the languaje and the music (wich is in fact a percussion languaje) and i also love the culture and spiritualism behind every song.

as you know i'm not spiritualist and i'm atheist and anti-religious, but i totally understand the original value of the ancestral folklore, religion, languaje and music (culture) for the evolution of the humans, so i'm so gla di can have this album full of the pressence of this original spirit of the social relation between humans and nature.
i love this music and the line notes by sola explaining everything on it.

Very Happy

***STONED AGAIN***

Stenoquai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 13:45    Reply with quote

Sola Akingbola launches the new single Generation Vex with the live project Critical Mass. This song is now available on iTunes, Spotify, Deezer and Amazon. And here's the official music video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw_BDwXAmo0

Tlum

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:43    Reply with quote

My promo copy of Generation Vex EP of Critical Mass just arrived - there is also new version of Sola's song from his Tank Tribe project called G-Spot and new smooth jazzy lazy soul version of track called Ninu Opon. And I just found those song on spotify, deezer and so on..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Bandmembers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: