jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Your favourite band member... (past or present).
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

teecheedeedee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 09:04    Reply with quote

Your favourite band member... (past or present).
Hi all. I'm curious, if you had to pick your favourite member of Jamiroquai (from any era), who would it be?

It's pretty tough, but I'd say for me, Simon Katz. He was never amped up too much in gigs, but you can hear his fantastic playing on the funky paranoia bootleg, especially during too young to die. And he was great in the high times guitar solos. One of the more under-rated JMQ musicians, I'd say.

deesh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 15:10    Reply with quote

Toby.
He is the reason why I am so into this band. I always loved his vibe, the chords and just the swag he brought to the band. The melodies he'd play and the addition to the band overall made me hooked.

He always seemed real simple, not flashy also - my kind of guy!

FunkyLaura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 16:38    Reply with quote

Yes Deesh for me is the same, musically Toby Smith the best!

P.s: ...but if I can Embarassed I always had a weakness for Zender's charming

tfunk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 19:03    Reply with quote

For me it is Sola. He's is an amazing percussionist and he adds the flavor to grooves. He's been there a long time also, a well versed player. I also think Paul is amazing, sometimes over-looked because of "previous bass players". His pocket is sweet.

tfunk

iranterres

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 20:42    Reply with quote

I'll pick two guys...

Stuart Zender: Zender gave Jamirquai's sound spice, clearly a genius at the bass and perhaps with an astonishing improvisation capability, was the bandmember who actually made jamiroquai sound genuinely funky. And I still personally think his departure was the heaviest blow jamiroquai has taken since then.

Toby Smith: The god of melody... Most of the band's past compositions are credited 'Jay/Smith' but in my opinion Smith was the true genius in there... Jay just wrote lyrics, the magic of putting them inside a melody that fitted them was Toby's task, and Toby mastered it like few ones in music history could.

teecheedeedee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 04:18    Reply with quote

Haha I agree completely with you, iranterres!

Stuart and Toby were essential parts of the Jamiroquai sound, no-one has been or ever will be able to completely replace them. Therefore Jamiroquai is not at all the same band it was all those years ago.

I definately agree that Toby would have been more responsible for writing the songs. But hey, it's always the singer that takes the credit.

Stu's departure was surely the first nail in the coffin.

tfunk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 15:04    Reply with quote

Not the same band is a good thing. The times are different, the sound is different. I think change can't be helped. What I love about Jamiroquai is their ability to grow and move forward. The current line-up is smokin', tight, and powerful.

I like the Jamiroquai of all of their stages. Past, present, and hopefully future.

caroli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 16:52    Reply with quote

Very well! I agree with you! Very Happy

iranterres

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 21:36    Reply with quote

I agree in part with tfunk...

Althought it is visible that the band hasn't grown much last years, I think that since AFO the band's sound stucked, even the lineup which is stable now, is more than 8 years old the only change was Paul Turner replacing Fyffe...

The so called ability to 'move forward' as cited above didn't seem to happen since Synkronized wich was a crossover album the band made.
AFO came suggesting a more disco/electronica/pop driven sound and Dynamite didn't depart from this trend becoming just an AFO part II in my opinion... As opposite from the jamiroquai of the 90's where you had a wide range of styles with much more complex arrangements and well crafted lyrics and melody. The Jamiroquai's of today looks much more than an ordinary pop group than the powerful and cutting-edge band that we saw in the 90's.

Of course there are some things that can't be imaginated back then like... Rob Harris back in the 90's where the band sound was more heavy, I personally think Rob fits perfectly in the band's sound of today (which I personally think is excelent), Rob turned the band's music much more funky/disco oriented, much different from the technically driven and laid back sound of Simon Katz wich fitted perfectly in the band's sound back then...

This proves the ability the band has to 'adapt' itself to their new musical directions, but as about growing up, it doesn't happen since AFO. And i'm not saying these albums are bad, absulotely... Both AFO and Dynamite are well above the average we use to listen in the radio now a days, and I hope from the bottom of my heart the band tries to rescue some of the creativity of the past with this new album, but still, Jamiroquai still remains one of the best bands so far in the music scenery of today.

mr.az

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 23:08    Reply with quote

sola akingbola and derrick mckenzie

they put the drumms and the rythm behind every song, in a way i love it Cool

drumms are the best to me in music, so all my music idols are drummers Wink

also i wanna be a drummer someday too Razz
AFO=AUTOMATON

jamfan2005

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 16:31    Reply with quote

DJ D-Zire was such a great part of the band. While he never stood out like Stu or Toby, his added style is missed. While I think that he was used much more in live shows than on records, take a listen to Use The Force and High Times on TWM and Hooked Up on EOPE, then tell me it would be the same without him.

Rita

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 22:04    Reply with quote

I pick Toby Smith and Stuart Zender...they brought magic to Jamiroquai

teecheedeedee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:00    Reply with quote

Ah I really miss Darren's scratches. Space cowboy in particular, nothing like that wicka-wicka cheeba, or too young to die's hey!

It's incredible just how well a live DJ fitted in with Jamiroquai's sound.

Gavin Dodds was another interesting musician, I wonder if he left or was kicked out. He was somewhere in between Katz's background role and Harris's more substantial role.

iranterres

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 20:09    Reply with quote

katz was so laid back and accurate, I love his style! Surprised

freeetz!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 21:12    Reply with quote

teecheedeedee wrote:
Gavin Dodds was another interesting musician, I wonder if he left or was kicked out. He was somewhere in between Katz's background role and Harris's more substantial role.

Gavin is my favorite Jamiroquai guitarist ever! I wish he hadn't left the band.
I doubt Jay kicked him out, Gavin was funky as hell, what else did he want??? Laughing

Talking about bandmembers in general, I would say Toby Smith. He and Jay made a perfect songwriting team.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Bandmembers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: