jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

What tracks are you skipping?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

alyd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 14:26    Reply with quote

What tracks are you skipping?
I can see how perhaps the title track and White Knuckle Ride might be tracks to skip to get on to the less familiar ones but personally I've not been skipping them.

The one I can really live without is Blue Skies which still just sounds like Will Young to me - it's this album's King For A Day; a track I skip but most people don't seem to have a problem with.

Anyone else skipping any or finding a new listening order better?

Jamiroonquai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 14:37    Reply with quote

Re: What tracks are you skipping?
Skipping most of the 'familiar' tracks indeed. Not because they are less interesting, but just because I already know them (just like you said).

Smoke & Mirrors, SAFP, All Good In The Hood, Hey Floyd and Never Gonna Be Another is my top 5 played atm =)

alyd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 15:39    Reply with quote

Yeah, I think that's gonna happen when a) those tracks come out first and b) they're so different from the rest of the record.

The ones you mention are they all the ones not produced at his home? They are all of a piece I reckon, being the ones that have the best live feel - are they the ones in the studio we saw in the behind the scenes video on the website? Smile

robotscantadlib

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 16:13    Reply with quote

Re: What tracks are you skipping?
alyd wrote:
I can see how perhaps the title track and White Knuckle Ride might be tracks to skip to get on to the less familiar ones but personally I've not been skipping them.

The one I can really live without is Blue Skies which still just sounds like Will Young to me - it's this album's King For A Day; a track I skip but most people don't seem to have a problem with.

Anyone else skipping any or finding a new listening order better?

Skipping: Smoke & Mirrors, All Good in the Hood, Goodbye to my Dancer, the first half of Blue Skies, Never Gonna Be Another (mega-skip), and the reggae section of Hey Floyd..finding myself skipping more than I'd like, and not really obsessively re-playing the ones I do like decently. I wasn't expecting the best thing ever, but I'm a bit disappointed overall.

kellte2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 16:23    Reply with quote

Loving the album. Listened to it about ten times according to iTunes.

Songs that have been skipped most:

White Knuckle Ride (I blew this out when I downloaded it from the dutch cite back in August);

Hurtin' - it fits with the flow of the cd, but I'm not always in the mood.

Blue Skies - same as above

Lifeline - just can't get into it, not a fan.

Never Gonna Be Another- one of the weakest Jamiroquai ballads out there. The lyrics are just lame. Closing of the song is great though, "now that you gone, I think of you." Everyday is my watermark for Jamiroquai ballads. This has a solid groove, but the composition doesn't "go" anywhere... [/list]

smills

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 16:29    Reply with quote

I was skipping White Knuckle Ride and Blue Skies due to impatience but have since today made sure to listen to the entire article. I need to get over the feeling that White Knuckle Ride and Blue Skies don't fit due to their early release and (perceived) difference to the rest of the album.

I think it's best practice to try and force yourself; you might be rewarded!

mr.az

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 16:42    Reply with quote

i skip the less i can
i mean, i try to listen all the tracks many times
the song i skip the most is goodbye to my dancer
i dont get it yet
sometimes hey floyd
then, smoke and mirrors
and i dont skip anymore

i mean, i skip two tracks(i am still discovering smoke and mirrors)so, its good to me what i can hear Cool
AFO=AUTOMATON

Cosmic Noe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 17:16    Reply with quote

I'm only skipping Hurtin' because I feel is a song for a special ocassion, if you know what I mean Twisted Evil You have to be in the mood for it. Even so, it doesn't sound as badly as it sounded when they release it (I was complaining about Jay's voice "hurtin'" too much)

alyd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 17:26    Reply with quote

robotscantadlib wrote:
Skipping: Smoke & Mirrors, All Good in the Hood, Goodbye to my Dancer, the first half of Blue Skies, Never Gonna Be Another (mega-skip), and the reggae section of Hey Floyd..finding myself skipping more than I'd like, and not really obsessively re-playing the ones I do like decently. I wasn't expecting the best thing ever, but I'm a bit disappointed overall.

Hmm, you like the Hurtin', Lifeline, Fast Persuader, Two Completely Different Things, Goodbye To My Dancer - so that's pretty much a split down the middle of the stuff that has the same vibe, interesting.

When I first started reading I thought you were gonna not be liking any of that stuff and just going for White Knuckle Ride, the title track and Blue Skies (the ones I don't think belong with the rest so much).

kellte2 wrote:
Everyday is my watermark for Jamiroquai ballads. This has a solid groove, but the composition doesn't "go" anywhere... [/list]

Ditto, though I do like the others on here, just totally failing to respect Blue Skies as that's another really dumb lyric not saved by the usual pep of the instrumentation.

Initially I wasn't too keen on the sort of Chicago musical stylings in Lifeline but I've got over that now and I even think the Reggae in Hey Floyd works having said a short while back here how much I cringe at Drifting Along (which others here agreed with).

alyd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 17:30    Reply with quote

smills wrote:
I was skipping White Knuckle Ride and Blue Skies due to impatience but have since today made sure to listen to the entire article. I need to get over the feeling that White Knuckle Ride and Blue Skies don't fit due to their early release and (perceived) difference to the rest of the album.

I think it's best practice to try and force yourself; you might be rewarded!

When I first put it on I didn't skip them, nor the second time but now as I just said above I reckon those two and the title track are playing a very different game - the game I feared the whole album would play and I'm delighted it didn't.

It's like I never wanted an album like Virtual Insanity either and was very pleased there were some large grooves on the album. This is the problem with singles - I know they can't all be Cosmic Girl and I really liked You Give Me Something... but then those are probably only different to fans Wink

smills

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 17:39    Reply with quote

I certainly feel that White Knuckle Ride has received more processing than anything else on the album. I suppose I'll need some more time to see just how it fits with the rest. Blue Skies is definitely guilty of the extra production and polish of a single. I like these tracks, but I'm so much more impressed by the direction of the overall album. The 9 songs we didn't hear really made the difference. I wonder how it will be reviewed...

nitric

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 17:43    Reply with quote

[quote="kellte2"]
Never Gonna Be Another- one of the weakest Jamiroquai ballads out there. The lyrics are just lame. Closing of the song is great though, "now that you gone, I think of you." Everyday is my watermark for Jamiroquai ballads. This has a solid groove, but the composition doesn't "go" anywhere... [/list][/quote]

Agreed!

"Never Gonna be Another" is a bit weak. Don't like the chords from the keyboards but I'm not sure if I would skip it anyway.
"Everyday" is fantastic and exotic!

alyd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 17:54    Reply with quote

smills wrote:
I wonder how it will be reviewed...

This is not a dig at you being a more recent fan but the answer to that is always 'poorly'. Reviewers for all types of cultural output work in tribes and on-trend and there's nobody out there with a loud voice saying anything other than Jamiroquai - he's a dick who's got more cars than sense and this album is the same as all the others, boo-hiss! - been that way since the third album, for every column inch about the music there's thirty miles worth on Jay's private life Rolling Eyes

Jamiroonquai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 18:33    Reply with quote

I can't really get into the things some of you are saying about Never Gonna Be Another

I really dig it, it has a sick sound, somehow.

alyd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 18:39    Reply with quote

Jamiroonquai wrote:
I can't really get into the things some of you are saying about Never Gonna Be Another

I really dig it, it has a sick sound, somehow.

I like that one but do see the points people are making - it's quite sleepy but that's ok with me given the rest (not heard the bonus tracks) Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: