jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

*Rock Dust Light Star - FAN REVIEWS of the new album*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

iranterres

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 02:45    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
I think Matt is getting some recognition for his bass-playing.
Very Happy

Matt???

You meant Paul Turner, right...?

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 03:11    Reply with quote

Yep! The bassist Paul!
(Edit)!

Laughing

cheebalover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 06:12    Reply with quote

matt did some bass on his synth Razz

Notjustbonez

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:53    Reply with quote

Um... hating on Sony for changing your style into a more processed electronic music, then leaving Sony, going on your way, then doing your own rougher sounding electronic album seems a bit hypocritical...

The album is okay, but I have to say I enjoyed the collaboration between the ZingZillas and Stu Zender better than the album. When I listen to the album I feel depressed. (I referred to this album to one of my friends as Ranting on Depression, Loneliness and Sadness.)

Definitely their worst album (not that it means much, look what its up against in terms of EOPE or TROTSC). I didn't feel this way until I watched an interview from 1993 (god, I was only one year old) and Jay's talking about why the band is named Jamiroquai and stuff like that, and I said to myself, "What's missing is not a previous band member, but instead that young Jay who wanted to make a difference with his music."

I'll still buy a physical copy... but I'd rather own the 2xLP version of EOPE.

(Again, the album isn't bad at all, it sounds great, but due to recent events I have to say that this album is meh compared to even the likes of Dynamite. The records sales prove my point.)

Jamiroonquai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 13:07    Reply with quote

Notjustbonez wrote:
Um... hating on Sony for changing your style into a more processed electronic music, then leaving Sony, going on your way, then doing your own rougher sounding electronic album seems a bit hypocritical...

The album is okay, but I have to say I enjoyed the collaboration between the ZingZillas and Stu Zender better than the album. When I listen to the album I feel depressed. (I referred to this album to one of my friends as Ranting on Depression, Loneliness and Sadness.)

Definitely their worst album (not that it means much, look what its up against in terms of EOPE or TROTSC). I didn't feel this way until I watched an interview from 1993 (god, I was only one year old) and Jay's talking about why the band is named Jamiroquai and stuff like that, and I said to myself, "What's missing is not a previous band member, but instead that young Jay who wanted to make a difference with his music."

I'll still buy a physical copy... but I'd rather own the 2xLP version of EOPE.

(Again, the album isn't bad at all, it sounds great, but due to recent events I have to say that this album is meh compared to even the likes of Dynamite. The records sales prove my point.)

Well first of all.. Music industry is more fucked up now, even compared to 5 years ago (in terms of people not buying records anymore + rising of shitty pop music).. Furthermore people might not be buying this album because of the ''whack'' Dynamite album.. So the record sales are not proving your point.

Some coincidence: I was watching probably that same interview from 1993 (when I was only 2 years old hehe) 2 days ago and I thought exactly the same. I often hear people say Jay has changed through the years. What I see though, is not a really different Jay there compared to now (except for the things you said, which I totally agree with, about 'wanting to make a difference with his music')

I'd not say this is the worst JMQ album though. It takes some time to make that considiration, since our opinions of the other albums are based on years of listening to it. We just need to get used to a totally different Jamiroquai style. I think All Good In The Hood has the most familiar 'Jamiroquai-sound' together with Two Completely Different Things. The rest are totally new (JMQ-)sounds to me.

Soooo... Let's listen some more and review it in a year .. or 2

Notjustbonez

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 14:12    Reply with quote

I'll give you the Dynamite thing for sure and the record sales. (Probably didn't help that some person named Surgeringz on Youtube was posting random house music and saying its Jamiroquai... god I hate that person).

Guessing you were watching the interview from Japan? (Where Toby basically says he rights all the riffs which made me laugh my ass off, I was like "Proof!" haha). Yeah, you're probably right about it being the same Jay, I think the young protesting Jay can't be heard over older Jay's Ferrari...

I'm assuming you dislike Dynamite. I actually like Dynamite, I just feel this album is depressing, I want my music to be uplifting. Singing a song about how your ex has moved on but you haven't is not enjoyable for me (its not a way to get over a break up).

I love "All Good In The Hood" and yes "Two Completely Different Things" is a return to that "original" sound. It depends on which version of the album I'm listening to. If I'm listening to the 13 track version (Japanese) or the deluxe version I rank this higher, but the main 12 tracks (i think that's right?) aren't strong enough I find.

I do dig the new sound and maybe a follow-up (within the next 2 years and not 5!) will expand further on this new sounds. I'm gonna say one thing though, I know that Jay is hurt that his ex is moving on, but everyone has problems in the business of love. One song would have been understandable, but it dominates tracks 4, 10 and 11. I get it after Hurtin'...

Okay, I'm done my rant... I'm going to try to enjoy this album (when I'm not listening to AZUR by Zender of course... which hopefully gets an official release this year).

cheebalover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 14:34    Reply with quote

Notjustbonez wrote:
(Probably didn't help that some person named Surgeringz on Youtube was posting random house music and saying its Jamiroquai... god I hate that person).

i hate him too, and btw he is on this forum!

Notjustbonez

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 14:52    Reply with quote

i think its a she... but I have no sympathy, don't spread lies about Jamiroquai. I may not find this album fantastic, but its pretty damn good (please refer to All Good In The Hood cause it brings da funk)... Surgeringz was claiming that some house music was new Jamiroquai material. I feel bad for Niquid (Italian Summer, also known as Believe), for house music he's pretty awesome, but instead Surgeringz claims that his music is Jamiroquai, therefore sending bad vibes Jamiroquai's way and giving no props to Niquid... Sad

No good comes from this.

Glad they are on the forum, maybe they'll learn that I'm aiming to take them down...

Butterfly in June

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 14:53    Reply with quote

matutevip wrote:
What can i say about this, eagerly anticipated album??. I listened to what jay said, long time ago: "Dont worry, you will like it", and faith started growing on me. He was right, i like it, and a lot.
This new album is bright. Has no weak points, all the songs have a special groove. As everyone pointed right, Paul Turner delivers perfectly in this album. His first album with the boys and showed that he is up to the challenge and a lot more. He was allready showing his quality when Jamiroquai released "Runaway".This is a bass led album, and he does his job brilliantly. It is about time for the band to be exorcised from Zender's ghost.
It is wonderfull to hear all the guys playing again, i mean, i love when i hear Derricks hi-hat in Smoke and mirrors, or Sola in "Goodbye to my dancer", the flute in "Two completly different things", Matt's keys in "Blue Skies" or "never gonna be another", and the beautifull guitar riffs that fill the album, Rob made a perfect job again, and yeah he could be a lot funkier, but he is awesome. His job in "Hurtin" and "All Good in the hood (acoustic version)" is simply amazing.
I think that Derricks work also deserves to be emphasize, he is allways great, but in this album, he reached TWM level. In every track you can hear his drums blowing away!. Specially in "Rock dust light star".

The brass is back, and its shining. This is something, that i beleive, that every jamiroquai fan wanted. I think that "Hang it over" is the highest point of the brass section, with that kind of dixie style. Is completly amazing.

Jay's voice, keeps being unique, and also proves that can be a little bit more rough in "hurtin", but keeps that magical touch that makes every song so particular. I think that his voice is more developed in this album, but, still, keeps the freshness of his young voice in the early days of the band. Listen to his vocals in the acoustic version of "All good in the hood", they are great.

To conclude, this album proves the versatility of this band, from the disco souns of "White Knuckle Ride", "she is a fast persuader" or "Thats not the funk", the rocky-funky sounds of "Rock Dust Light Star", the pure Funk of the 70's of "All good in the hood" and "Smoke and Mirrors", the 70's rocky sounds of "Hurtin", the beautifull ballad "Blue Skies", the reggae break in "Hey Floyd", to the oldie fox-trot dixie style of "Hang it over". Jamiroquai shows that is a versatile, virtuous band.

Another thing is that every song sticks in your mind inevitably, the rhythms are catchy, and when you finish listening to the album, you end up singing one of the songs all the time.

Thanks Matt, Sola, Derrick, Rob, Paul, the girls, the entire brass section And of course, Jay. Great, awesome, job.
And as i said before, i think that for the fans this is going to be an awesome time. The band, as i see it, is in its highest level, and we are going to enjoy it!!!!.

Sorry for the long review.

Thanks for this review - you speak right out of my heart and I could not have said it in my words!!

ophone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 20:47    Reply with quote

For me there's just one single down on the deluxe album:
The remix of Blue Skies! What the feck is this supposed to be?

The rest is brilliant!

Edit:

I might have said this already, but I have to underline that the new album sounds more natural, more organic than "Dynamite", well even more than "A Funk Odyssey".
It sounds like if the different bandmembers have found finally their right place in the band and it's clearly audible that this band as it's composed now is playing music for a bunch of years now.

As some here say, "Rock Dust Light Star" is the descendant of "Synkronized", just with some changes in the lineup.

John Doggett

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 22:30    Reply with quote

ophone wrote:

The rest is brilliant!

Edit:

I might have said this already, but I have to underline that the new album sounds more natural, more organic than "Dynamite", well even more than "A Funk Odyssey".
It sounds like if the different bandmembers have found finally their right place in the band and it's clearly audible that this band as it's composed now is playing music for a bunch of years now.

As some here say, "Rock Dust Light Star" is the descendant of "Synkronized", just with some changes in the lineup.

As usual you've been stealing my words! Very Happy

Yes RDLS IS the successor of my dear Synkronized! I'm VERY HAPPY, 11 years of waiting...not in vain fortunately!

matutevip

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 01:32    Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks for this review - you speak right out of my heart and I could not have said it in my words!!

Thanks butterfly!!! Glad that you feel the same!!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

iranterres

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 03:35    Reply with quote

ophone wrote:

The rest is brilliant!

Edit:

Rock Dust Light Star is the bastard offspring from Synkronized RazzRazzRazz

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 03:39    Reply with quote

Thanks Cheebalover!
Quote:
matt did some bass on his synth Razz

I don't have the album yet - but a remix of Blue Skies sounds unnecessary!

Last edited by HoneyBee on Thu Nov 04, 2010 14:30; edited 1 time in total

Poderfunk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 13:21    Reply with quote

I'll say it again
I love all about jamiroquai !!!!
I love dynamite songs (specially live) and now I'm so happy with all the new staff
they are great!
In fact my list in the music player right now is:
time won't wait
she's a fast persuader
hey floyd
starchild
dynamite
all good in the hood
space cowboy (live montreux95)
goodbye to my dancer
shoot the moon

VIVA JAMIROQUAI POR SIEMPRE!
VIVA ROCK DUST LIGHT STAR AND DYNAMITE! XD

(Love all the feelings but I miss some political critics from RDLS like world that he wants and DGHAC)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: