jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Rock Dust Light Star at No.7 in the UK charts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

*LeeLoo*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 23:04    Reply with quote

Elvishmaid wrote:
Sometimes I think things started to go downhill in the UK when Jay was dragged into this whole yellowpress tabloid thing. He was never much in the tabloids before he had a certain girlfriend. His violent intermezzos with paparazzis probably didn't gain him much respect either.

Totally agree. Even in my country, where is reeeeeeeaaaallyyyyy strange to find a few lines printed about the band anywhere I've read about that "nice" meetings with the paparazzis in gossip magazines.

Also, I consider the prom is bad done. Sony had more knowledge in that bussines, they get in general audience who may know or may not know the band.

That prom is kinda naive for me, looks like the company wasn't really sure they had to do and asked (surely Jay) about "what do you want" and him, (who isn't an expert 'cause this isn't his issue) said "oh, put that, it's kinda different..." Also he did what he want and nobody come to say "look, it wouldn't work, that video is kinda boring" or "knowing who the market is going it'll be better release a more clubbing song for the singles".

In essence: A prom made it for rookies.

Winterkat
Moderator & Officer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 07:35    Reply with quote

Universal Music is the biggest record company in the world. They have everything in order to do mega promotional campaigns. The fact that this isn't happening can mean either of two things:

* they don't really have much faith in Jamiroquai and decided not to invest too much;

* Jay negotiated a contract stipulating him holding most of the power and he wants to do things his way.

Whichever is the reason behind it... it could be a hell of a lot better but at least it's not as bad as it seemed to be at first.

Fnac Belgium for example did not get any promotional articles... not even a poster. I sent an email to Universal Belgium but doubt I will get a response. I think Belgium is completely being skipped in the campaign.

Ow and don't even get me started on the fact that they aren't even on the artist lists on most branches of UM...

Elvishmaid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:30    Reply with quote

Well I have to correct myself-I think things started to go downhill when Jay started using cocaine. I think the drug was chiefly responsible for his violent paparazzi intermezzos.
I agree that the videos are not really entertaining.
But I think there are only a few good videos of Jamiroquai-I like Space Cowboy and Virtual Insanity and the videos for Emergency on Planet Earth and maybe Little L.

The budgets for videos aren't that big any more-even big record companies like Universal have to cut budgets because of the overall decrease in album sales.

Maybe that should have used a live performance-Jamiroquai are a very good live band and they should have taken advantage of that.

Catalonia is not Spain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 19:12    Reply with quote

Winterkat wrote:
Universal Music is the biggest record company in the world. They have everything in order to do mega promotional campaigns. The fact that this isn't happening can mean either of two things:

* they don't really have much faith in Jamiroquai and decided not to invest too much;

* Jay negotiated a contract stipulating him holding most of the power and he wants to do things his way.

Whichever is the reason behind it... it could be a hell of a lot better but at least it's not as bad as it seemed to be at first.

+1

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 19:31    Reply with quote

I think that after 5 years without material, number 7 in the UK, number 1 in a few places, and top 10's almost everywhere, I say those are pretty good numbers.
They should've taken advantage of the success of High Times Singles (in the amazon best seller's rank, that album was at number 4 one week ago... with 935 days in the top 100), but I totally understand the time they took to switch labels and recording everything.
Luckily the gap for the next album won't be too long.

About the promotion, I think Mercury/Universal did a very good job. Dynamite was heavily ignored, and it definetely didn't have the same promotion RDLS has. TV presentations, internet promotion (through facebook, those behind the scenes videos from the studio, the renewed official site), the pre-album gigs, I think it was pretty good.
Granted, the graphic design of the releases are not that good (AFO had a great one).
Anyway, I think the numbers are good. And at the end of the day is just that, numbers. They don't represent quality.

Gonza-Arg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 02:36    Reply with quote

Dye wrote:
Granted, the graphic design of the releases are not that good

the new album's design SUCKS badly... the album, on the other hand, is f*cking AWESOME Cool

I went a little offtopic, but I had to say that...

*LeeLoo*

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 21:48    Reply with quote

Dye wrote:
Anyway, I think the numbers are good. And at the end of the day is just that, numbers. They don't represent quality.

Got it. I agree. Also agree with the not very worked desing and awesome content.

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 17:45    Reply with quote

In the global/worldwide album chart, Jamiroquai sits at number 7, up until yesterday:

http://allcharts.org/music/world/albums.htm

That's a pretty nice number if you ask me!

princenpg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 18:44    Reply with quote

in the UK album chart the album has fallen 15 places to No.22

1. Space Cowboy (Stoned Again)
2. Time Wont Wait
3. Revolution 1993
4. Hot Tequila Brown
5. Just Another story

Cesar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 20:33    Reply with quote

princenpg wrote:
in the UK album chart the album has fallen 15 places to No.22

WKR has dropped too... From 39 to 85! Sad

Elvishmaid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 22:07    Reply with quote

RDLS is no. 1 in the German download charts according to Media Control Smile :

Source:
http://www.pressemitteilungen-online.de/index.php/jamiroquai-mit-rock-dust-light-star-in-den-downloadcharts/

Cesar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 18:39    Reply with quote

Bad news...
RDLS drops again in the UK.
7=> 22 => 45

But it's not the end of the world.
Loads of famous artists released their albums 2 to 4 weeks ago and sold less.
JayZ (peak at #20, now at #37)
Ne-yo (peak at #11, now at #61)
Pet Shop Boys (peak at #27, now at #73)
Elton John and Leon Russel (peak at #12, now out of the top 75)
Bryan Adams (peak at #35, now out of the top 75)

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 21:06    Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but I think the success of RDLS, lies mostly in the hands of fate!

They do however need to promote it so people know it is out there. (U.S.)
Jamiroquai are in a league of their own. They aren't like anybody else. Don't really fit a genre. But there is a fanbase there. And yes, where I live, we have a "club" genre on the radio. And I love it!

So funny -I only heard of Cheryl Cole because Will.i.am was promoting her. (She's pretty, but not much in music.) And as for BEP, yes they became one of the top groups in America. Why? They fit in a down time, and they brought our spirits up. Luck of the draw! Their latest album really isn't their best, and musically not the greatest work of art. But they became part of our culture theme.
"I got a Feeling, That Tonight's gonna be a good night"!

nitric

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:19    Reply with quote

Well, at least "White Knuckle Ride" is at #1 in Tokyo-Japan:

http://www.j-wave.co.jp/original/tokiohot100/chart/main.htm

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 13:41    Reply with quote

Two Completely Different Things is at #36, up from #60 last week as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: