jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

*Rock Dust Light Star - FAN REVIEWS of the new album*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

*LeeLoo*

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:42    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
I hear a lot more details on my I-pod/earphones.
Many lyrics aren't as printed. For all artists.

LeeLoo -I think he says "She's coming from a stranger place, yeah"

Thanks for mention it.

HoneyBee wrote:
And I still hear a "Ch" sound for "hit it".

I also hear a "Ch" sound in the "hit it", it makes me think it says "chear up", and knowing it's said at the end of the soft instrumental line and and after starts the "epic chorus" it has sense for me.

HoneyBee wrote:

Great to listen on stereo, I-pod, and in the car. All are different feels.

I totally agree that about listen it in different places and have different feelings.

Also, there really is the loud breathing in SAFP, sounds the same in my car or in stereo, it's only I couldn't believe that Jay would use that kind of resource in a song. Rolling Eyes

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 20:42    Reply with quote

Thanks LeeLoo! I just write what I think!
Maybe 'Cheetham'!You can't believe it is only what is written.

As for the heavy breathing in SAFP, maybe kinda appropriate in that song!!! Wink

*LeeLoo*

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 20:45    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
As for the heavy breathing in SAFP, maybe kinda appropriate in that song!!! Wink

Of course, it's really appropiate sound for it Wink

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 18:30    Reply with quote

still didn't have time for reading your reviews, i'm sorry
but here goes mine:

Rock dust light star review by jamirokaki

i have my (standard 12 tracks) jamiroquai new album since two days ago now and i listened to it 7 times, first times with a passive “let's hear what they give”, and this last time with an active analisis of music and lyrics.
As all the music in the world (at least for me) the moment on your on life when it comes to you alteres the vision you have about it, and can't be or hardly can be separated from your latest experiences and feelings so this is a very subjetive, personal and evolutionable (if that word exists) review, but at the same time i think i know enough about this band and this front man to analize the album with some wisdom.
For me the most positive thing on it is the sound. You can hear of a live band, bandmembers actually playing they intruments without any overproduction behind. It is particulary good to hear again Derrick on a jamiroquai album, 'cause in the last two and a half he was simply “not there”. Paul makes a great job too and Robs guitars are the best in all his history in the band.
It is also great to hear horns, horns ands horns, both as backing support and with cool solos. Also ausent in the last studio and live works. As always the strings are just beautiful, perfectly balanced.
The backing vocals are everywhere but it's alright with that as jamiroquai have evolved into this lately (since d-zire was out and jay's voice become so weak, apparently and happily recovering more and more!)
The worst thing on the album is the simplicity of the songs. This is the first thing that came to my mind after listening first times. I'm not saying that simplicity is always bad (as i've heard jay saying the same day i got the album as i also got the oportunity to download some stuff you put here (thanks!!): less is more) All of them are nice tunes, simple or not, they have their touches, their power and a good bunch of arrangements wich made them good songs with jamiroquai sound, but i would apreciate more “music” and less “tracks”, if you know what i mean.
In the same way extended versions of most of them are required. Instrumentations, solos and more parts. (as Jay promised in the “leaving sony era”) but i guess this will be in the live versions (and hope, but hopeless that will be in the singles)
As for overall sound, music and lyrics, they express as always jay's view of life in the time of the writing. Jay's feelings, desires and restrictions (i will always curse (sorry i can't find the world in my mind) the missed opportunity of making they're own label or run the album on an alternative free way out of a big record label. The time was now)
about this “jay's fingerprint” on the album i can feel a nostalgic man, thinking a lot in the past times, specially jamiroquai's old story (from EOPE to TWM) and Jay's personal loves and lives, wich makes a synkronized era resemblance but with the addition of the impression of 10 years gone fast and lost in an extrange space.
Emergency on planet earth reflects the pure freshness of a borning star with an energic and young wanting of make everything, The return of the space cowboy reflects the quality of a fresh artists who knows they can and are giving more, Travelling without moving reflects the power of a stablised band who have won the honour of having their own and recognizable sound, synkronized the mixed feelings of a new beggining, the aknowledge of the hard of maitenance, and the positive vibe in life, a funk odyssey reflects the contradictions and darkness of the “high times” and dynamite the desperate pressure of an inflexion point (while the two new tracks on high times the singles are a clear ironical “good bye to all this”)
in this case, this album is thinking in a positive present and future, with a crisis of the fourtys (so, remembering nostalgic the past times)

the artwork is growing on me but it's crap. I know four of five people in this forum who can do a better job in one day of job, I myself make a better front and back cover even using the same photos and fonts. The inner part juts can't grow: crap. I love Jays special NO thanks. Perfect.

i will do now a little commentaries on each track (oh by the way, the reductions to initials of the tracks runs alright for classics like “EOPE” “TWM” and “TYTD” but i think it's a bad decision to do with all the tracks this early, that one of us didn't even know the titles of each when listen to them!)

rock dust light star:
The best lyrics in the whole album (and from long time), funny jay uses the pig thing again to refer himself (as in main vein, and this time with a not that funny but better metaphore than in that one)
Derrick kicks ass. Cool and nice track with the pure “new” (rob harris) jamiroquai sound.

White knuckle ride:
the melody of the voice is so childish (as lots of latest jami hits) but they work. Great dance hit song with the jam-glam sound. Lyrics talking about the jamiroquai path on present (gonna make it better, i'm on it)

smoke and mirrors
the band doing fresh and simple funky, here's what we got, you can move, you can enojoy...doesn't go anywhere we didn't already went. Nice sax solo.

All good in the hood.
The rime tonight/alright is the most heard in the music history...and jamiroquai aready got a bunch with it. Musically, same as previous.

Hurtin'
interesting voice (recording just when woke up huh jay?). The most simple and plain song since feels just like it should (and almost the same as it, maybe playing it backwards you can get this one). Derrick makes it listenable. Jay's head not right, she thinks a lot on, Denise?

Blues skies
Nice, could be a classic of red hot chili peppers' californication but it's alright. Simple but a good song 'cause thanks to the strings, backing vocals and instrumentation it sound to jamiroquai in the end. Lyrics tells clearly jays story on the present. (same as white knucke ride, now i understand even better thing about the videos)

Lifeline
Sad that what it can be a simple and good song like an stevie wonder hit, becomes just a simple song like beatles'. That trumpet in the end playing three F*cking notes is a di*khott*er, and extended and reworked version of this track could be a really good song. Lyrics express Jay's drean on, Denise????

She's a fast persuader
Thanks Paul this song makes it, perfect stuff. without it it's also too simple. Nice brass solos too. The final part is the best stuff in the whole album, they could extend 10 minutes and we all would be amazed making crazy rhythm moves.

Two completely different things
one of the best songs in the album. A bossa nova in a funk-pop costume. It's like if “stillness in time” have gone to synkronized album and hide in “fallin'” and run to make on the tracklist of this album , but sadly that's exactly what is it, not a new song, but a good song.

Goodbye to my dancer
well for me this song will be always “i've see you dancing” and travels me to jays car surrounded by the jamily and living a dream back in 2008 in ahaus. And i'm sure this will never change. We heard a “pure demo” as jay said. Everything on it has changed from what we heard there but is the same song (that simple and plane song) wich may be or may not be a good song. I will never know cause the feelings it make me feel are so strong. Love to the jamiroquai world.
Oh by the way...lyrics talk about.....mmmhhh...denise!! ???

never gonna be another
ehem...nobody can't deny me that this lyrics are about denise. I know it.
it makes me so sad that i can't say more about it now. Recently i have fall in love with a girl wich i will lost due to our different paths right now and i been really feeling theres never gonna be another, cause i already tought there wasn't nobody perfect for me and this time i felt she was.
I think is the worst song in the album but i don't know.

Hey floyd.
Well. Floyd is Jay. Nothing to discuss. (and again refers himself as a pig!!!). Musically i think is one of the best track in the album and all the band is doing top stuff here. And definitelly...they should make an alternative reggae band, they would be the best current reggae band in the world, at least they should make a cover of a bob marley tune in the next concerts...jammin'!!!!!! they must!

This is it.
can't wait to hear and see them live and to see the jamily again, and hopelly with the bandmembers around again.

Sending love from mexico,
jamirokaki, the basque funky-monkey

***STONED AGAIN***

*LeeLoo*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:09    Reply with quote

jamirokaki wrote:
A lot of interesting things.

Also...
jamirokaki wrote:
Hurtin'
interesting voice (recording just when woke up huh jay?). [...]. Jay's head not right, she thinks a lot on, Denise?

He said he tried to made his voice sound different (I'm gonna say bolder) and for that he drunk a half bottle of Scoth and smoke 60 cigarretes and after went to record at 2 A.M., so put the sleepless at this mess. All this info is from a Mirror interview.
jamirokaki wrote:
Lifeline
[...] Lyrics express Jay's drean on, Denise????

Confused
jamirokaki wrote:
She's a fast persuader
[...]The final part is the best stuff in the whole album, they could extend 10 minutes and we all would be amazed making crazy rhythm moves.

I've found the main opinion is totally different from you, 'cause is like "all the song is pure amazing except the final part". I include myself in the main opinion, also maybe you think different for the fact that this song has some AFO reminiscense sound. IMHO.
jamirokaki wrote:
Goodbye to my dancer
[...]Oh by the way...lyrics talk about.....mmmhhh...denise!! ???

Confused
jamirokaki wrote:
never gonna be another
ehem...nobody can't deny me that this lyrics are about denise. [...]

No, not this time. Jay said it talks about a friend of him who died in a Faceculture interview .
jamirokaki wrote:
Hey floyd.
Well. Floyd is Jay. Nothing to discuss.[...]

Totally agree with that, also the way he tries to hide the fact (talking on third person) show to us that he's ashamed of this expirience but has the need to "confess" it. I find this detail really interesting, knowing how time ago he talked openly about his affairs with drugs (Space Cowboy) but now he can't, shows he has come more mature on a time. When I'll have time I want to talk about it extendedly.

And for the "Denise main theme", in the Mirror interview Jay said he's into the mid-life crisis and thinks a lot of the fact of having a family (wife and children and all the stuff), and usually he compares himself with friends of his age whose have one. Recently Denise's had a children, and I bet Jay compares this situation too. Nobody can know which were and are his feelings from her, but I'm pretty sure that Denise is more important as a landmark in his lifeline (the expirience they had) than as a woman; so sometimes look back and ask himself "Why haven't I a thing I had before?" or something similar.

But that's only a theory. Rolling Eyes

Funkiroquai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 18:01    Reply with quote

thanks for review, nice reading...

loved these words

jamirokaki wrote:
but i would apreciate more “music” and less “tracks”, if you know what i mean

Cool

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 20:44    Reply with quote

@ jamirokaki -don't think all the tracks are of one girl-Denise. Rolling Eyes
C'mon, I hope he's expressing more than one that ended years ago!
But "Goodbye" is most likely dedicated to her.
Was there a song (demo) "I've see you dancing" at a concert 2008?
I Wanna hear it!

Leeloo explains "Hurtin'" voice, and "Hey Floyd". Both great songs.

As for "Fast Persuader", I do think the end is the peak of the track! Definitely think this will be extended LIVE. Maybe to dance to! And think it has symbolism to the song's lyrics! Wink

jahmorican

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 17:17    Reply with quote

*LeeLoo* wrote:

Also...
jamirokaki wrote:
Hurtin'
interesting voice (recording just when woke up huh jay?). [...]. Jay's head not right, she thinks a lot on, Denise?

He said he tried to made his voice sound different (I'm gonna say bolder) and for that he drunk a half bottle of Scoth and smoke 60 cigarretes and after went to record at 2 A.M., so put the sleepless at this mess. All this info is from a Mirror interview.
Confused

This is exactly how I was going to describe it, too- sounds like it was recorded at 3:00 AM after a whole night of heavy...ummmm...smoking. I guess I wasn't too far off! Wink

-Alex

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 20:41    Reply with quote

thanks forthe replies and info

Very Happy

***STONED AGAIN***

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 21:20    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
@ jamirokaki
Was there a song (demo) "I've see you dancing" at a concert 2008?
I Wanna hear it!

jay invited some of us to his car to hear some stuff of the forthcoming album after the ahaus gig. you can read the full story (everyones verisons) in the ahaus thread

Wink

***STONED AGAIN***

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 22:52    Reply with quote

ok, i'm on page 5 now. great reviews, thanks for all your time and feelings
i like so much iranterres' and smills'

Very Happy

***STONED AGAIN***

freeetz!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 23:47    Reply with quote

I don't think Jay gives a damn about Denise anymore, I mean it's been 10 years.

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 23:52    Reply with quote

it may be that i now link all the love songs with one girl too and i translated this to jay...but anyway.
i can tell you he gives a damn about her.
she is the only "serious girlfriend" he had in all his life....
and also you can read in some interviews out there

***STONED AGAIN***

freeetz!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 00:06    Reply with quote

Denise is a celebrity, hence the media coverage, interviews, gossip, etc.
Now Jay is not dating celebrities and doesn't speak about his relationships publicly. That's why we don't read about it in interviews. But I'm pretty sure he's had a few relationships since then, plus he got older and wiser. I'll be surprised if I hear Jay saying he's still not over her. Smile

Jamalgerie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 00:14    Reply with quote

I guess it is difficult for Jay to escape from the feelings he had for his first true love. Razz But I do think he has moved on,and seeked pastures new.NGBA was a tribute song to Michael Jackson I think. Every interview he gives, he seems to compliment Denise and her new hubby. What I respect about this guy is the fact that unlike your modern 'pop star' you do not see him with a different girlfriend from one day to the next. He is genuinely waiting for the 'right one'

A national holiday should be declared when Jay does eventually decide to tie the knot. Wink If Prince William deserves that, then Jay certainly does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: