jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

RDLS - 3 months later
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Funk Fiction

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 09:10    Reply with quote

There's something else I'd like to point out.

I should admit some of my comments are a little harsh. If it means anything at all, I'm very passionate about the group and they have at least 90% influence on me and my music. I've listened to RDLS numerous times and it just hasn't grown on me or immediately grabbed my attention the way any of the previous efforts have. And as much criticism I've voiced, I've also mentioned a lot of great things.

Now that aside. I suppose I haven't listened to RDLS with the FULL perspective of taking into consideration that this is a very personal album of Jay along with the circumstances of him passing the age of 40, his current state of life, all he's been through, from media to women to his bosses.

Jay is a very inspiring guy. When I read what he has to say in his interviews, I get a strong sense of intimacy and I feel like I know him and could talk to him for days on end. I share a lot of his political, societal, and metaphysical views and they're the types of things I think about all the time, independently.

I'm going to go through Rock Dust Light Star again with an even more open mind and take into account this more understanding perspective. I don't deny Jay's magnificent song-writing abilities, rather, it's the more dramatic change from before that has thrown me off the most. Even the more personal songs (Manifest Destiny, Falling, Soul Education, Picture of My Life, Tallulah) still had that distinct Jamiroquai funky flare to them. I simply haven't gotten that out of RDLS and if it DOES exist and I'm just missing it, it shouldn't take this long to get it.

EDDI

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:59    Reply with quote

unfortunately you have be dragged along with the times kicking and screaming though. Because until they invent a time machine you can't go back to the 90s, as much as you'd like too.....trust me, i'd join you if their was. You can quote song lyrics from Jamiroquai songs at me all day, buts its not going to make any difference. Yes, i completely get your point about the old days, ive looked back on youtube and i have a load of pre-98 live stuff on my ipod and i think "bloody hell, this is amazing" and how id love to go back in time and see them at Montreaux 95 and the McClaren Launch Party in 97. But i cant. You have those memories and you'll cherish them, and i don't blame you. However, nostalgia can tint your view on things, and this maybe effecting your view on the new stuff, so maybe try detracting yourself away for those view while you listen to it. I don't get all the "new Jamiroquai" bashing at all for me the stuff they are bringing out is of real class, and im sure if the Red Hot Chili Peppers had wrote RDLS the world would be licking their asses. I personally think its a quality album and a major improvement from a disjointed Dynamite album. The stuff they have brought out since the 90s has been really good. Much better than alot of the pap out their today. Sunny live from Covent Garden is probably my favourite ever live track, Little L, Love Fool, Main Vein all top songs, Time Won't Wait on Dynamite is a brilliant track, and Fast Persuader on the new one are just an example of a few of the great songs they have put out since. Thats why i think instead of complaining everytime they bring stuff out about its not the good old days, i think maybe you should just sit back and enjoy it, and when you listen to the old stuff you can go back to the 90s in your head, but don't pan the new album for being average when it is miles better than about 99% of the stuff out their now.

Funk Fiction

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:19    Reply with quote

EDDI wrote:
unfortunately you have be dragged along with the times kicking and screaming though. Because until they invent a time machine you can't go back to the 90s, as much as you'd like too.....trust me, i'd join you if their was. You can quote song lyrics from Jamiroquai songs at me all day, buts its not going to make any difference. Yes, i completely get your point about the old days, ive looked back on youtube and i have a load of pre-98 live stuff on my ipod and i think "bloody hell, this is amazing" and how id love to go back in time and see them at Montreaux 95 and the McClaren Launch Party in 97. But i cant. You have those memories and you'll cherish them, and i don't blame you. However, nostalgia can tint your view on things, and this maybe effecting your view on the new stuff, so maybe try detracting yourself away for those view while you listen to it. I don't get all the "new Jamiroquai" bashing at all for me the stuff they are bringing out is of real class, and im sure if the Red Hot Chili Peppers had wrote RDLS the world would be licking their asses. I personally think its a quality album and a major improvement from a disjointed Dynamite album. The stuff they have brought out since the 90s has been really good. Much better than alot of the pap out their today. Sunny live from Covent Garden is probably my favourite ever live track, Little L, Love Fool, Main Vein all top songs, Time Won't Wait on Dynamite is a brilliant track, and Fast Persuader on the new one are just an example of a few of the great songs they have put out since. Thats why i think instead of complaining everytime they bring stuff out about its not the good old days, i think maybe you should just sit back and enjoy it, and when you listen to the old stuff you can go back to the 90s in your head, but don't pan the new album for being average when it is miles better than about 99% of the stuff out their now.

Okay a lot of what you're saying only has grounds in presumption. I haven't been "kicking and screaming" as times have gone by. I am only 23 and I've been enjoying myself thanks. That means that when Virtual Insanity came out, I was only 10. So I wasn't even there to see Jamiroquai live in 95 and growing up in the States doesn't help that either. Therefore, nostalgia doesn't even play a factor in this because way down the line was when I became a die hard Jamiroquai fan actually DISCOVERING all that old 90s stuff during the 2000s. "New Jamiroquai" bashing exists because it doesn't quite sound like Jamiroquai, plain and simple. I doubt you read my thread on my thoughts on the album, let alone my last post here as all the songs you've mentioned I've said great things about along with how most music sucks today.

Spare me the time machine lecture please. I know what I'm talking about and it's not the same music without Toby.

Anyway, you make a fantastic point about Red Hot Chili Peppers. I think what you said is very true and the whole rock community would think it's a revolutionary album, etc... but then again, that's the Rock community and Jamiroquai seemed to always be about the funk... guess not anymore. Guess I just gotta accept it and sit back and relax with this not-so-funky-but-classy-rocky stuff. I get it.

Sandriche
Officer & Jamily Coach

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:13    Reply with quote

hey funk fiction! welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Jay is a very inspiring guy. When I read what he has to say in his interviews, I get a strong sense of intimacy and I feel like I know him and could talk to him for days on end. I share a lot of his political, societal, and metaphysical views and they're the types of things I think about all the time, independently.

that was beautiful and I totally agree!!!

Quote:
"I'm going to go through Rock Dust Light Star again with an even more open mind"

and I hope it will hit you..

For me " Hurtin" was a total grower and I only after hearing the live version I kinda also felt the power in the studio version...weird? hahah
I would say the new stuff sounds FRESH ..not " this is not jamiroquai anymore".. it´s still jamiroquai sound..
I mean how different was "King for a day"! but it was still jamiroquai...

Very Happy Very Happy

EDDI

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 19:41    Reply with quote

i have quickly read earlier posts Funk Fiction, but there is 3 pages of them, sorry if i upset you in any way. I just don't like the way people pan the new Jamiroquai, its still better than no Jamiroquai, and a hundred times better than whats out today. I was 6 when Virtual Insanity was released so similar age here. I just think that if people hadn't heard old school Jamiroquai and heard the stuff they released now they would really like it, its just the fact that people keep harping back to old Jamiroquai, i don't blame them for doing so, but i think its unfair to pan it on the basis it isn't them from the 90s, when there is alot of good on RDLS and a lot of promise. You have be fairly thick skinned, talented and good to last 20years, and Jamiroquai keep doing that! Whether or not it sounds like EOPE of TWM or not, they have encorperated newer sounds to theirs to progress with the times and what they are releasing is still at least 4/5 stuff. I understand why fans may not listen to it as much as earlier stuff when the first 3 of basically Acid Jazz/funk/latin and RDLS is more funk rock and jazz, but to say its not a good album compared to what garbage is out today i personally feel is unfair

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 03:04    Reply with quote

Whoa, you guys have been busy.
Funk Fiction -Oh, welcome (what state you from?)
F2 wrote:
Quote:

Now that aside. I suppose I haven't listened to RDLS with the FULL perspective of taking into consideration that this is a very personal album of Jay along with the circumstances of him passing the age of 40, his current state of life, all he's been through, from media to women to his bosses.

I really think all that matters when reviewing any album, is if you can relate to the music, or that it can put you in that place. Does the music move you?

In my opinion, it really shouldn't be me reflecting on the artist's life, struggles, issues, or age! Or whether I like the artist, or how he's living his life. Listen w/o prejudice.

When I buy an album, I only want something good. And really, I know not every album from an artist can be a 10. But if there's one 10 in the catalog, then they rock! Wink

And, Kiedis couldn't handle RDLS, but love him anyways!

Also -I thought Jamiroquai were dead. I discovered they're not. So I'm happy just for that!

Cesar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 14:24    Reply with quote

Hey, hookedup

I can totally relate to what you're describing...
I don't think I've ever gone off a JMQ album this fast...
I played all the previous ones for months and couldn't get enough.
This time around, I don't even listen to the 4 songs I really like: Persuader, Completely, Floyd and Dust (live version).

It's not that RDLS is a ''bad'' album. It's nicely produced and the guys obviously put a lot of effort into making.
It's just that it somehow lacks ''energy''...
I don't really know how to describe it.
Several songs are well produced, well arranged, nicely played but... it's like there's something missing...
They just don't rock or move me.
Most of them aren't even that catchy to begin with.

I like some songs, ''accept'' others, but very, very few tracks have actually made me say ''wow... what a brilliant track! I want to listen to it over and over again''

It's it a bad thing?
Not really.
I love music and every artist I admire has released albums that I like and that I dislike.
This is the case of RDLS. Unfortunately, it's dated pretty fast for me.
But I don't make an issue out of this.
In a few years' time, they'll release another cd and hopefully I'll fall deeply in love with that one (as it's happened to other JMQ albums).

For the time being, I'm happy to dream of a tour and hope they come here once again.
If they do, I'll gladly see them live and I'm sure I'll leave the arena with a huge smile on my face. Very Happy

Funk Fiction

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 06:54    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
Whoa, you guys have been busy.
Funk Fiction -Oh, welcome (what state you from?)
F2 wrote:
Quote:

I really think all that matters when reviewing any album, is if you can relate to the music, or that it can put you in that place. Does the music move you?

In my opinion, it really shouldn't be me reflecting on the artist's life, struggles, issues, or age! Or whether I like the artist, or how he's living his life. Listen w/o prejudice.

When I buy an album, I only want something good. And really, I know not every album from an artist can be a 10. But if there's one 10 in the catalog, then they rock! Wink

And, Kiedis couldn't handle RDLS, but love him anyways!

Also -I thought Jamiroquai were dead. I discovered they're not. So I'm happy just for that!

Thanks HoneyBee. I'm from Los Angeles.

I think you're right and I actually went and gave it a couple more listens and I'm still just not sold. It's just an okay album with good old pop style songwriting and low on the life/energy.

Bottom line is I'm still thinking it was an album for Jay to vent out his depressions and perhaps he'll bounce back into something more.. fun.

On another note. I've been realizing more and more just how difficult it is to write original, fresh, hip vocal melodies and lyrics. I've been having at it with some of my own new work and it's definitely a formidable challenge. Nevertheless a fun one! I look forward to working hard at cracking the intuitive secrets of coming up with great melodies even over complex chord changes!

Stillness In Time and Mr. Moon come to mind. Cool

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 15:27    Reply with quote

Funk Fiction wrote:
Quote:
Bottom line is I'm still thinking it was an album for Jay to vent out his depressions and perhaps he'll bounce back into something more.. fun.

Maybe. I don't mind a sad, deep album. But I don't think this is it.

Quote:
On another note. I've been realizing more and more just how difficult it is to write original, fresh, hip vocal melodies and lyrics. I've been having at it with some of my own new work and it's definitely a formidable challenge. Nevertheless a fun one! I look forward to working hard at cracking the intuitive secrets of coming up with great melodies even over complex chord changes!
Stillness In Time and Mr. Moon come to mind.

Yes, I've been appreciating some earlier music areas and simpler styles.
We're all critics. But maybe we should learn to appreciate an artist.
Cuz, Unless you've got something better, shut up! (not at you FF)

FunkEducation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 17:54    Reply with quote

I just can say the album has grown on me after these months! Smile

annie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 22:52    Reply with quote

i remember listening to this album the first time. and i can say, i was disappointed. but then, hearing it over and over again, i started to love every song. weird, never felt this way, either i like sth or not. but with this album it was different.

Rita

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 00:13    Reply with quote

almost a half a year since the release and the album has completely grown on me!! jay said it would be a little weird the first times we'd hear it but then it would make sense..and he was totally right. unfortunatelly i can't say the same about blue skies and never gonna be another (still not on top Sad )

Jamirocat

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 16:15    Reply with quote

I wonder what the next album will bring? I imagine it to be sexy and hot!

DTNY

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 03:32    Reply with quote

Listening to it as we speak. Smile Very interesting points being put out there. I love how you guys think and I love this dialogue going on. (Can't say I'm surprised... I think JMQ's music attracts a certain type of person.)

I like RDLS. It's an enjoyable listen, particularly on the morning commute. It definitely has a more "mature" sound to it... a classic-rock feel, as some noted, with a smattering of Motown, some funk, and 4 true "classic Jamiroquai" tracks... WKR, Smoke & Mirrors, She's a Fast Persuader, and Hey Floyd.

I don't mind the departure from their core sound... I respect the band's desire to explore new areas of music, and most of it sounds pretty good. Do I wish that more tracks had that classic euphoric, transcendent vibe of yesteryear? (Which Toby's presence and contributions had a LOT to do with.) Of course. But all in all, I think it's a quality addition to their repertiore.

My one gripe: They put out music SO infrequently. Back in the day, circa the 70s, bands would have their ups and downs and go through their sonic experiments and gyrations... some were better than others. But those same groups put out albums every year or two. If one wasn't so great, eh, no big loss. There would be another. But with Jamiroquai, you have to wait 5 -6 years for something, anything. So our expectations are extraordinarily high... After a long wait and drought, we are expecting music that causes SPARKS to shoot out of our ears and other bodily parts! (Pardon my crudeness, but you know what I mean. Smile)

With that said, RDLS has 4 songs that really do it for me. One of which, as mentioned, is Hey Floyd. I have been humming it in my head for the past several months... it's insane. And most of the other tunes are at the very least, good. I LOVE Never Gonna Be Another... very "vibey" and modern-sounding. Very musically and lyrically relevant. Which I suppose can sum up the entire RDLS collection.

I conclude with what may be a strange question: Does anyone else think Lifeline sounds a LOT like STP's Interstate Love Song? Or is it just me?

Last edited by DTNY on Tue May 17, 2011 15:36; edited 1 time in total

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 13:53    Reply with quote

for some different reasons i'm not in the jamiroquai world as i used to be. i don't heard any of the albums as much as i use to do but i still listen to them from time to time.
i can't say the last album is a bad album but definitelly it's not a new TWM like stated here by lot of people...and a hard to defend album against not fans! Confused

***STONED AGAIN***
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: