jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Parliament Funkadelic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Music & Musicians
View previous topic :: View next topic  

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 18:01    Reply with quote

Parliament Funkadelic
The Mothership has landed! Just went to a Parliament Funkadelic concert. Very Happy Main floor, front row. (I squeezed my way to the front!) It was such a party, it was almost hilarious! There was more pot in the house than any other concert. The concert was 3 1/2 hours of pure jamming Funk. The head guy is George Clinton, and he turns 70 this year!

It was a loosely formed performance of musicians coming together and just playing. It was like they grabbed their friends to play at a house party! And in a Halloween/Army character theme! Didn't really look rehearsed -more like improvisational. There were at least 3 drummers. And maybe 5 guitarists. Trumpet, Saxophone, keyboards, a few rappers. Some were members from the 70's, some were James Brown musicians. Including 4 or 5 guest singers (one was George's granddaughter and a few locals). 25 musicians in all? It was a party, and also there were about 20 friends, doing nothing, on stage in back! Some musicians taking their break in the back were actually taking pics of the audience! The keyboardist was smoking a fatty on stage!

I couldn't keep up with who was who, since a couple original members have passed, and Bootsy is on his own. But the guys next to me knew who everybody was! And one guitarist wore knee high leather boots, leather jacket with stars, one drummer was in a yellow alien costume, the mother guitarist had a pink cartoon hat on, and the dancer wore fur pants and a fur coat, and dirty danced around the stage!

These guys are the innovators of Funk, the genre funk. Basically gave Funk the name. And what I think makes real funk, is that it is nasty and dirty, and jamming.

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 04:28    Reply with quote

Ha, that sounds awesome! It's great that George Clinton and the band can still keep it funkay for hours on end, because I would like to see them some day soon. Where was the concert at by the way? It would be great if they came to Oregon!!

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 20:52    Reply with quote

Detroit (area).
P-Funk still touring small venues 2/15th -19th 2011.
States: SC, CT, MA & PA (east coast)

I think it was Carlos “Sir Nose” McMurray - half dressed man in the fur pants –he had a body like I never seen!

Seb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 21:08    Reply with quote

Awesome log, I enjoyed reading it !
Cheers
Seb

petra0666

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 07:09    Reply with quote

Cant believe THE George Clinton is still doing gigs!!? Wow... HoneyBee It must have been truely something else... still jamming for 3andahalf hours... cant believe it!!
I've seen him/them in 1995 and back then I couldnt believe what I was seeing... it was such a show and definatly so funky! But also so outrages... and also so very busy on stage haha...
Great of you to share this with us HoneyBee! Thank you!

Petra

russky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 14:30    Reply with quote

Fantastic Exclamation Very Happy

did they perform 'give up the funk' Question

now a Pringles advert theme Rolling Eyes Laughing

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 15:50    Reply with quote

Russky -Of course they performed "Give up the Funk". We're gonna tear this mother out. I didn't know all the songs, but the guys next to me did!

Petra -Yes, So amazing stage show! And to be turning 70 & still funky!
And I guess I'm Just bragging cuz I can get so close to Parliament Funkadelic. (I got some pics, but not sure how to post)
But no Jamiroquai out here. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Music & Musicians All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: