jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Jamiroquai (half-portuguese)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tiffinypie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 20:02    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
Oh c'mon, it's not like there's anything else interesting going on here.
2banghead
good good

Lua

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 16:32    Reply with quote

Well, this might not be new for most of you, but just yesterday I realized that Jay’s page on Wikipedia says that his name is “Jason Luís Cheetham”. Luís like his Portuguese father.

I was really surprised! The last time I checked that page it was written only “Jason Cheetham”.

Curry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 14:14    Reply with quote

Lua wrote:
Well, this might not be new for most of you, but just yesterday I realized that Jay’s page on Wikipedia says that his name is “Jason Luís Cheetham”. Luís like his Portuguese father.

I was really surprised! The last time I checked that page it was written only “Jason Cheetham”.

I have to say that everytime I see an article out using "Cheetham" as his last name, I facepalm my face in.

It's mega embarrassing to see "journalists/reporters" relying on things like Wikipedia to get their info.

I mean, if they thought about it a bit more, they'd realize the name makes no sense and doesn't fit anywhere.

Ivy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:05    Reply with quote

cheetham .

Last edited by Ivy on Sun Jul 05, 2015 02:55; edited 1 time in total

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 03:52    Reply with quote

or Cheetah

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:45    Reply with quote

Cheetham... gourmet ham??

Srrsly though, read up on the history: http://www.houseofnames.com/cheatham-family-crest

Interestingly, a bunch of USA cheethams also got into the music biz at the bottom of that link. Looks like it's in their blood!

Adolphus Anthony "Doc" Cheatham (1905-1997), American jazz trumpeter, singer, and bandleader
Maree Cheatham (b. 1942), American daytime serial actress
Katherine "Kitty" Cheatham (1864-1946), American singer and actress
Jimmy Cheatham (1924-2007), American Jazz trombonist and teacher

Curry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 21:44    Reply with quote

Lol, it looks like the name is nothing more than a play on his and his mother's career.

Laughing

I wonder who started such a silly (yet widely spread) rumor?

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 19:18    Reply with quote

Disclaimer **Not like I really care**

I thought JK's real last name is Cheetham, and Kay is a stage name.

and Cheatham is not the same name as Cheetham.
Just because they sound the same doesn't even mean they are of similar cultural heritage.

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 05:21    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
Disclaimer **Not like I really care**

I thought JK's real last name is Cheetham, and Kay is a stage name.

and Cheatham is not the same name as Cheetham.
Just because they sound the same doesn't even mean they are of similar cultural heritage.

According to that heritage link all variations are derived from the original word cheetham based on the town of the same name. Same thing happened with a lot of people leaving countries and immigrating to the US. Letters get dropped misplaced or names get totally mangled during the immigration process.

This article has a lot of interesting comments in it (disregarding the article): http://genealogy.about.com/b/2013/02/28/our-name-was-changed-at-ellis-island.htm

ophone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 08:08    Reply with quote

FunkyVibes wrote:
or names get totally mangled during the immigration process.

This reminds me of the biggest US town founded by Luxembourgers, it has been called Belgium.

*** For those who are interested, I explain now why:
There is a small strip in Belgium at the Luxembourg border, where many people speak Luxembourgish, still nowadays. This area is called Areler Land. In fact, the whole nowadays Belgian Province of Luxembourg, belonged to the Duchy of Luxembourg, including the Walloon/French speaking parts.

This was before the Belgian revolution and before Luxembourg has been "upgraded" to a Grand Duchy, although losing more than half of its territory.

Because there was no real major town in the Walloon part of the Province of Luxembourg to get the title of provincial capital, the Belgian Kingdom has also be granted the in fact Luxembougish speaking town of Arlon and its outskirts, called Areler Land (country of Arlon). (For example, even today the mayor of Arlon speaks fluently the Luxembourg language.)

Well, most of the people who founded the town of Belgium in Wisconsin, came from the Areler Land. They emigrated shortly after the Belgian revolution, although not as political refugees, but as economical refugees, because Luxembourg and the territories around it used to be very poor (imagine that today...). This until steel production was pushed with the discovery of a certain Mr. Thomas, who succeeded in getting rid of the phosphore in some kinds of iron, as the one in southern Luxembourg and northern Lorraine.

Well, the authorities in the US simply took as name the nation these emmigrants from the Areler Land were from and called the town Belgium, even if those emmigrants spoke Luxembourgish as mother tongue and felt rather having the Luxembourg nationality. ***

Curry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 09:59    Reply with quote

@ ophone and FunkyVibes

Exactly!

Matter of fact anyone who checks out their family crest can find variations of it. I know I have.

In the case of this "Cheetham" mystery, I still think it's a joke. No offense to HoneyBee in the slightest, however. It's just I'm the sort who asks a lot of questions...and to me this Cheetham thing holds no other purpose than to link a "jazz man" to some jazz musicians as though it's some divine design he became this way. Laughing

It's a very sad thing when a joke is turned into a magical fact and never corrected. Sad

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 03:21    Reply with quote

Laughing
no offense taken. doesn't affect me.

And Well Ellis Island did have a history of ethnic cleansing and name butchering.

smellbob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 02:53    Reply with quote

I always thought he and Mike Lindup were related somehow.

Not to go off topic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jay Kay All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: