jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Who mastered the first three Jamiroquai albums?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

HardSmokerI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 20:25    Reply with quote

Who mastered the first three Jamiroquai albums?
Hi guys,

I would like to know who mastered the first three Jamiroquai albums (Emergency On Planet Earth, The Return Of The Space Cowboy, Traveling Without Moving) and which mastering studios were involved.

I only could find some information about the recording / engineer artists in the booklets or on the web. But the mastering engineers and the mastering studios weren't mentioned.

Any help would be appreciated.

Trolll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 08:44    Reply with quote

Hi !
I'm just pulling this out of my head as I'm not home to check, but I think all early Jamiroquai releases on vinyl are signed as mastered by Mike Marsh - The Exchange Studios...

Wink

HardSmokerI

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 20:02    Reply with quote

Many thanks for your answer. I directly contacted the guys from The Exchange. It seems that Mike Marsh mastered "Synkronized" including singles for "Canned Heat" and "Supersonic". They suggested that the mastering may have been done "in-house" at Sony's "Whitfield Street Studios" for the earlier records.

Trolll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 21:15    Reply with quote

Here's what I've seen on my LPs & 12" (UK releases) (when they were signed)

EOPE : TY2
ROTSC : Timtom
TWM : signature is a "M" inside a circle (referred to as "M Logo" below)

EOPE singles : TY2 / Damont
ROTSC singles : Metropolis / M Logo / Timtom
TWM singles : MA / YD / M logo + JML / M logo / Damont

I've sold a fair deal of my collection a while ago, but I also remember for sure having already seen "Simon - The Exchange" several times as a signature (part of what I sold or later releases that I didn't check?)

That's all I can help you with so far! Wink

[EDIT : You might already know this page, but some of the clues find their answer at : https://www.discogs.com/fr/group/thread/678616 ]

Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:02    Reply with quote

Whitfield Street definitely rings a bell for some of the singles... Mostly late 90's though, around the Deeper Underground/Canned Heat sort of time. I think there were some acetates or something wasn't there?

Trolll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 15:16    Reply with quote

Yep, all promo CDRs (that began to surface on later TWM singles) come from "Whitfield Street". I know there was one for Alright remixes (on Funkin) and another for High Times remixes ("Hi Times" listed at EIL).
However, still for High Times, there's an acetate 12" (with the same remixes) that come from "Metropolis Mastering Studios" (listed on Funkin).

The oldest acetate I could find was one of "Blow Your Mind" (listed on EIL), mastered by "the Hit Factory" : http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=80923

Globally, it all seems to be a mess ! Wink

Trolll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 15:29    Reply with quote

Self reply here... Regarding "The Hit Factory", Wikipedia states:
"From 1989 to 1993, the company also operated The Hit Factory London. This facility later became Sony's Whitfield Street Studios"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiro-Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: