jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Why aren’t Jamiroquai appreciated more in British music?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

phunkynassau

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 08:57    Reply with quote

Why aren’t Jamiroquai appreciated more in British music?
I don't know if anyone has posted this article before. Anyway, I think it is a great read.

https://www.the-newshub.com/music/why-arent-jamiroquai-appreciated-more-in-british-music

What do you think about this subject? I think the auteur's view is spot on.

Jam Vibe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 03:39    Reply with quote

Re: Why aren’t Jamiroquai appreciated more in British music?
phunkynassau wrote:
I don't know if anyone has posted this article before. Anyway, I think it is a great read.

https://www.the-newshub.com/music/why-arent-jamiroquai-appreciated-more-in-british-music

What do you think about this subject? I think the auteur's view is spot on.

I can't say much about the old days of jami because I was not even born, but I do feel the same about the rest of the article, in a world full of talentless musicians and other with huge appreciation for jamiroquai is hard to define why they don't get highlights back again.

Looking through the internet for articles of back those days, my only argument is that media always took hard on janitorial style, the same kind of thing as with X Factor.

Now, about departures, even liking a lot the new sound, I do think that the old crew is such a big miss!

John Doggett

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:50    Reply with quote

Some hypothesis :

Maybe because :

- Pop rock IS the main style appreciated in Great Britain. Remember, only Deeper Underground (a rocky style) reached n1 british top chart.

- Antagonistic relation from the start between JK & Medias (English Medias wanted to discredit Jamiroquai since the begining : The Melody Maker was the first to claim that Jamiroquai was a Stevie Wonder clone, as matter of fact they did a survey on summer 1993 to know if people would make the difference between Jamiroquai and Stevie Wonder (A f.....g non sense !)

Unfortunately, most of the others medias did the same (even in France, I remember in recorded broadcast (Faxo on M6 in 1994) that the female journalist said "StevieRoquai on Faxo !" (sic)

At that time, some journalists thought : "You're White, do some pop rock grunge stuff/ You're black do some hip hop soul rnb funk stuff !
What ! JK is a white guy who make some black music ??? I can't find the box to put him (and them) in it !! It's suspicious !"

But it's a theory.

phunkynassau

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 20:11    Reply with quote

Found this quote in an interview with Sola Akingbola in 2005, that might give an explanation.

Q: Why do you think that of all those 90’s Acid Jazz bands, only Jamiroquai is still a global act?

Sola: I tell you, if Jay was less successful at making people dance, he’d be taken a lot more seriously as a musician.

http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=1035

John Doggett

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:26    Reply with quote

phunkynassau wrote:

Q: Why do you think that of all those 90’s Acid Jazz bands, only Jamiroquai is still a global act?
Sola: I tell you, if Jay was less successful at making people dance, he’d be taken a lot more seriously as a musician.

It's unfortunately possible.

mr.az

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 01:24    Reply with quote

because all the media don't care about good music
thats why we have lady gaga still, and some more music no one needs but the media makes favours...
AFO=AUTOMATON
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiro-Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: