jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

New Album "Automaton" Coming on 31 March 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 59, 60, 61  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Trolll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 01:06    Reply with quote

Yep, IF there are no (or little) horns on the album and (way worse) if there is no brass section on the tour, it will be a major drawback... Let's see what happens, but I'll keep an eye on that.
Jamiroquai have played with several different guys, so this message does not necessarily mean "no horns", but it's not reassuring either!
(No horns on tour = no Mighty Troll in the audience for sure!)

Curry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 03:52    Reply with quote

zeioIIDX wrote:
The heck? The writer makes it sound like just because she isn't much into Jamiroquai and they don't put out an album every year, the band has been forgotten and is "uncool" and "vintage". Oddly written article that seems to bash the band throughout while at the end saying "It looks like 2017 will be the year people finally start admitting their love for Jamiroquai" as if no one since 1997 has mentioned Jamiroquai as being an influence or a great band. People know who Jamiroquai are. More people than one might initially think. I don't know why I took offense to that article so much, I mean hey...at least it's putting the band's name out there and letting another audience know that the band has a new album releasing.

Yeah I read that whole thing and I couldn't get over how forcefully glib they were trying to be. It's like the person didn't know how to craft a creative piece about the "resurgence" of Jamiroquai. Instead they had parts that insulted them and then parts that praised their relevance in today's industry.

I was stuck wanting this person to make up their mind. Confused

iranterres wrote:
I'd rather smoke my weed instead haha

Oh man, if I did that I'd be on the floor before the debate is over! Laughing

mr.az

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 05:13    Reply with quote

msammon wrote:
Dye wrote:
Katy Perry's body is ready:

https://twitter.com/katyperry/status/821630574712520704

Very Happy
this is beyond awesome from a marketing pov

katy can call us everyday if she want Razz

I didn't know she was a fan Shocked so, thats gooood Very Happy
AFO=AUTOMATON

eviltimeban

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 09:42    Reply with quote

Jamiroquai playing Boardmasters festival in Cornwall:

http://www.boardmasters.co.uk/tickets

It's funny, they've obviously realised their UK audience has become more "selective", hence booking a festival like this. However the (unexpected) hype around the new album might mean their audience will grow in the UK, meaning they might need to do an actual tour. Didn't JK once say that his market was now Latin America, Europe, etc? Not the UK or US?

With all the hype, and a good lead single, they could be in line for the their first number 1 album since AFO!

Jamirowolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 17:42    Reply with quote

Hey, a GREAT positive of this whole thing (regardless of how crappy or great the music is) is that the band will be touring again!!!

I just pray they make it to NAM or SAM!!

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 21:35    Reply with quote

eviltimeban wrote:
Didn't JK once say that his market was now Latin America, Europe, etc? Not the UK or US?

probably true.

Jamirowolf wrote:
Hey, a GREAT positive of this whole thing (regardless of how crappy or great the music is) is that the band will be touring again!!!

yes same here -just happy they are going once again even if not the U.S.

and Funny that Katy Perry is a fan! we should've known by the Supersonic reference in E.T.!

Vintage73

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 23:03    Reply with quote

Hi all. I think I´ve been away from this board for some years by now. But I´ve heard today on the radio Jamiroquai was releasing a new album. So, even though I ditched Jamiroquai music a long time ago, because I simply didn´t like the sound anymore, I was such a fan back in the day, that I can´t help to come here to give my 2 cents about it ..

Well, I think it´s bloody insane, how, after all these years and changes, so many people still hope for a return to the old Jamiroquai vibe (As far as I´m concerned, I think that, after Dynamite, I had no expectations about it anymore or whatsoever)

Because it´s quite simple to realize, if you add 1 + 1, that was, almost entirely, the sound of an extremely talented guy named Toby Smith.

Since Toby left, the “sound” was over, and it´s impossible to come back, simply because the “sound guy” is not on the band anymore. Those tunes were made folowing the same recipee – Toby laying down melodic, complex keys, for soulfull, young Jay Kay to sing. And then polishing the whole thing with Toby´s fenomenal taste for exquisite, sweet, retro-synths and wah´s. And of course, both of them designing those bridges of horns and strings, probably under the effect of LSD or marijuana.

I still think, even after spending years and years digging through jazzfunk, nu-jazz, and groovy, soulfull stuff in general, Toby was a genious. His work was something quite unique and had a special touch of his own. The impact of Toby it is still visible today – his music still constitutes the lion share of live shows. Which in my view, is quite normal, because since he left there were no huge hits anymore. Matt, seems like a decent live player, but as far as the writing process and the synth work goes, it´s like, light years of difference …

In retrospect, I think it was quite easy to understand why he left. It´s extremely unfair how Jay got so bloody rich, and Toby seemed to got in more modest ways.

Then, there is Jay Kay. People obviously change – no one is young and hyper creative forever, and the vast majorit of musicians seem to experience dramatic changes as they get old (with a few rare exceptions like Donald Fagen and Azymuth). But if there is a category of “dramatic change”, Jay Kay fits there – both personally and musically - and this needs no explanaition I guess.

So there it is, old school heads – if you haven´t buried the “old Jamiroquai” over the last 16 years, please take my advice seriously and do it now. Forget all hypes and expectations, you will probably hear the same commercial, mixed-in-the-crowd, pro-tools, opaque stuff you don´t like. Why don´t you start digging through 70´s, early 80´s jazzfunk? There is a whole universe to explore. Or if you want to stick with the house, pay attention to Nick Van Gelder work – he´s a groovy bastard and one of the most respected guys on the underground scene.

PS: Even though I am out of the game, that snippet still shocks a bit Confused

robotscantadlib

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 06:33    Reply with quote

Toby was indeed the secret sauce, but don't try to say he didn't get filthy rich co-writing practically their entire back catalog. He shares writing credits on their hits and surely worked out a great royalties package. He's sitting pretty on a pile of money, I assure you. He left the band because he got tired of touring and wanted to raise his kids, from all accounts.

As for Matt, he's sufficient but not excellent. His soloing is mediocre (he uses the same tricks and licks time and time again and always seems to get caught off guard by his chance to solo), songwriting is iffy, and his synth patches sound weak. Maybe that last thing is not entire up to him, but I think there is a textural/sound design aspect missing from their sound now that Toby had locked in.

I think ultimately it comes down to hunger and having something to prove. A young band wants to establish itself and make a mark. Now it's maintenance mode.

Space Clav
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:07    Reply with quote

Lots of different opinions here so far... and none are wrong really.

It's impossible to judge a whole album from a 22 second blippety blop clip. The only thing I can say is that the clip did not impress me. Visually yes. Musically no.

Automaton is like a box of chocolates. We don't know what we're gonna get. Smile

Golomeen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:00    Reply with quote

Guys hold on, promo and single tracks are not necessarily best on the album. Have you ever heard Manifest Destiny somewhere? Or Picture of My Life?

AFO seemed to me a crappy stupid disco at the release moment, but 10 years later it became my favourite album (after ROTSC, essentially Smile

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:32    Reply with quote

Everything is so subjective.

I mean, as much as I like the early JMQ days, I wouldn't want them to turn into Incognito that pretty much do the same album every couple of years (a band that I love, don't get me wrong). But sometimes I want them to do something different, explore other music styles.

And I like that about JMQ. They take risks. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. But art is about that too. Even from their first album to their third there are many changes. Cosmic Girl is so different from everything on EOPE. Two Completely Different Things sound a look like something they would've done in the 90's.

So... I don't know. I think sometimes people don't realize that and get caught up in closed statements like "they used to be like *that*" and no, is not exactly like that. There are many shades and views, specially in music.

mexifunk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 21:18    Reply with quote

Dye wrote:
Everything is so subjective.

I mean, as much as I like the early JMQ days, I wouldn't want them to turn into Incognito that pretty much do the same album every couple of years (a band that I love, don't get me wrong). But sometimes I want them to do something different, explore other music styles.

And I like that about JMQ. They take risks. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. But art is about that too. Even from their first album to their third there are many changes. Cosmic Girl is so different from everything on EOPE. Two Completely Different Things sound a look like something they would've done in the 90's.

So... I don't know. I think sometimes people don't realize that and get caught up in closed statements like "they used to be like *that*" and no, is not exactly like that. There are many shades and views, specially in music.

You're absolutely right Dye Smile

msammon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 22:46    Reply with quote

i felt that this thought belongs here. But does the marketing for them stop on Friday?! oh because no one goes out on Friday nights to socialize with friends Rolling Eyes

iranterres

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 23:17    Reply with quote

I'm presuming we're going to have a very diverse album, but what is concerning the most is about the mastering quality!!! I really wish it to be good, like back in the old days. LOL

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 23:19    Reply with quote

iranterres wrote:
I'm presuming we're going to have a very diverse album, but what is concerning the most is about the mastering quality!!! I really wish it to be good, like back in the old days. LOL

Apparently it was mastered at Precise. If you wanna know how it *might* sound, check the latest from Justice, "Woman", it was mastered there too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 54 of 61

Jump to: