jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

New Album "Automaton" Coming on 31 March 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

iranterres

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 23:47    Reply with quote

Akghar wrote:

How sad the the best part of the song is this short break.
And most importantly : where's the bass ?

It's there...

But the mastering was so utterly stupid that they found out best to brickwall the entire track in order to make it loud that it became impractical to listen. Even Jay's voice is completely fucked up on it, people are barely able to transcript the lyrics and still arguing the quality is nice, oh well...

By the way if you want to check the basslines better, watch the video.

mr.az

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 01:35    Reply with quote

iranterres wrote:
Akghar wrote:

It's there...

But the mastering was so utterly stupid that they found out best to brickwall the entire track in order to make it loud that it became impractical to listen. Even Jay's voice is completely fucked up on it, people are barely able to transcript the lyrics and still arguing the quality is nice, oh well...

The biggest question is, how it will sound live????

All we need to know that, sooner in this year...remember that FJLIS never sounds as the album? i don't remember a live video or mp3 where the song sounds as the music video...
AFO=AUTOMATON

iranterres

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 03:56    Reply with quote

mr.az wrote:
iranterres wrote:
Akghar wrote:

It's there...

All we need to know that, sooner in this year...remember that FJLIS never sounds as the album? i don't remember a live video or mp3 where the song sounds as the music video...

I can't see the relationship between FJLIS and the question here, because FJLIS had a very clear bassline (despite being synth bass).

mr.az

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 04:20    Reply with quote

iranterres wrote:
mr.az wrote:
iranterres wrote:
Akghar wrote:

It's there...

I can't see the relationship between FJLIS and the question here, because FJLIS had a very clear bassline (despite being synth bass).

because both songs are veeery weird at the ears and both-i hope not-will be hard to play live...
AFO=AUTOMATON

iranterres

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 04:46    Reply with quote

mr.az wrote:
iranterres wrote:
mr.az wrote:
iranterres wrote:
Akghar wrote:

It's there...

because both songs are veeery weird at the ears and both-i hope not-will be hard to play live...

I don't think this song will be played live that much, as it was with FJLIS. It used to be seldom played live and in some performances it even got lipsynched.

mr.az

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 07:20    Reply with quote

iranterres wrote:
mr.az wrote:
iranterres wrote:
mr.az wrote:
iranterres wrote:
Akghar wrote:

It's there...

I don't think this song will be played live that much, as it was with FJLIS. It used to be seldom played live and in some performances it even got lipsynched.

Yes,it could be, because between sound and lyric hard to catch, will be hard to see it on stage.
AFO=AUTOMATON

robotscantadlib

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 09:47    Reply with quote

iranterres wrote:
Akghar wrote:

It's there...

It's a hybrid approach. I can quite clearly hear Paul's playing during the chorus section, and the synth bass dominates the mix in the verses. Did you expect them to make a quiet, wide dynamic range song given that they're seeking to have this make a splash on the radio, and especially given that it's an electronic funk song?
I don't find that his voice was over processed and it's perfectly audible to me in the car, on speakers, and in nice earbuds. Your criticisms seem a little dramatic. The mix on Twenty Zero One sounds pretty anemic and squashed compared to this, and I'd say it's probably the most similar track in their discography. I consider it a good job despite the brickwall/clipping stuff. That's all quite common now. So it goes.

iranterres

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 14:11    Reply with quote

robotscantadlib wrote:

It's a hybrid approach. I can quite clearly hear Paul's playing during the chorus section, and the synth bass dominates the mix in the verses. Did you expect them to make a quiet, wide dynamic range song given that they're seeking to have this make a splash on the radio, and especially given that it's an electronic funk song?
I don't find that his voice was over processed and it's perfectly audible to me in the car, on speakers, and in nice earbuds. Your criticisms seem a little dramatic. The mix on Twenty Zero One sounds pretty anemic and squashed compared to this, and I'd say it's probably the most similar track in their discography. I consider it a good job despite the brickwall/clipping stuff. That's all quite common now. So it goes.

It's a commercial aproach only, the last decade producers try to make tracks louder and louder only in order to take your attention pretty much as it is done with TV commercials, which are usually louder than the show you're watching and almost always make you turn your volume down (unless you have hearing problems).

But anyways I don't care how much people say that's fine for them including you because they've achieved their goal which was to please the end user.

As for dramaticity, take yourself a look at the first albums (especially at the first one). Those got great mastering, it's dynamic, not that quiet and still "squashed" the radios back in the day, so I will not discuss that to anyone here because sometimes it feels like teaching mathematics to sheeps in a flock. Still if you like garbage thrown at your years, fine, I don't. And NOBODY is discuting about the music quality here, it's the audio quality.

robotscantadlib

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 18:02    Reply with quote

iranterres wrote:

As for dramaticity, take yourself a look at the first albums (especially at the first one). Those got great mastering, it's dynamic, not that quiet and still "squashed" the radios back in the day, so I will not discuss that to anyone here because sometimes it feels like teaching mathematics to sheeps in a flock. Still if you like garbage thrown at your years, fine, I don't. And NOBODY is discuting about the music quality here, it's the audio quality.

I'm going to strongly, strongly disagree that those albums sound well recorded or mastered! ROTSC and TWM have a lot of problems with audio quality and muddiness, noisy recordings etc. EOPE is overall fine. And the remastered versions are more or less simply louder versions of the old recordings, so the hiss etc. is even worse. Dynamic range is not the end all be all of what makes a well produced song. Your taste is your taste, but you are getting lost in a blend of nostalgia, wishful thinking, and luddism. There seems to be almost nothing they can do going forward that will make you happy from an audio engineering perspective, let alone a songwriting perspective. They are ultimately a funk-pop act, and part of being a pop act is going with the production trends of the day so that the songs sound contemporary despite their musical content.

Last edited by robotscantadlib on Mon Jan 30, 2017 08:13; edited 1 time in total

iranterres

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 21:21    Reply with quote

robotscantadlib wrote:
iranterres wrote:

I'm going to strongly, strongly disagree that those albums sound well recorded or mastered! ROTSC and TWM have a lot of problems with audio quality and muddiness, noisy recordings etc. EOPE is overall fine. And the remastered versions are more or less simply louder versions of the old recordings, so the hiss etc. is even worse. Dynamic range is not the end all be all of what makes a well produced song. Your taste is your taste, but you are getting lost in a blend of nostalgia, wishful thinking, and luddism. There seems to be almost nothing can will do going forward that will make you happy from an audio engineering perspective, let alone a songwriting perspective. They are ultimately a funk-pop act, and part of being a pop act is going with the production trends of the day so that the songs sound contemporary despite their musical content.

Well like it or not agree or disagree, the audio is garbage and aganst facts there are no arguments, and I don't dig into nostalgia and nor am "trendy" towards the subjects in music. Oh and since you got trained ears towards pop trends you should take a look at this: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Jamiroquai&album=
Dynamic range and audio quality walk together, your and my perceived audio quality does not. And if you want to discuss recording artifacts on albums, you better avoid half the music catalog that was ever released and never listen to it. Still, i was discussing about a technical standpoint. But since it is useless I will stop for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61
Page 61 of 61

Jump to: