jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

What's it gonna take to get JK singing about politics again?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

eviltimeban

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:32    Reply with quote

What's it gonna take to get JK singing about politics again?
Let's look at where we are. Trump is the president of the USA. Racism, homophobia, and sexism are all very much "on the menu". These issues are huge at the moment.

The world is getting hotter - 2016 was the hottest year on record since the pre-industrial age. This isn't improving.

Fundamentalism is rife - be it Islam or right-wing Christianity.

Speaking of right wing, we have politicians with these views making ground across Europe and the UK. UKIP, Marie Le Pen...

Brexit? Come on.

So why doesn't Jay sing about the important issues? There's a whole album there. What made EOPE so RELEVANT was the lyrical approach, add to that his liner notes on the original release and you've got a band and an artist with a PURPOSE. Sure, they were funky and we got down and boogied but at least there was something to think about as well.

It's "high time" that JK started looking at the world again and writing about it. Nobody does that now (and certainly not on UK number 1 albums), at a time we need it most.

Last edited by eviltimeban on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:06; edited 1 time in total

mr.az

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 00:10    Reply with quote

When this album is released we ill know if jay is singing again about politics, anyways, the automaton clip preview looks like a reflection on how bad the world has gone...
AFO=AUTOMATON

eviltimeban

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:05    Reply with quote

mr.az wrote:
When this album is released we ill know if jay is singing again about politics, anyways, the automaton clip preview looks like a reflection on how bad the world has gone...

Yes but song titles like "Shake It On", "Superfresh", "Hot Property", "Carla", "Summer Girl", "Dr Buzz" etc, don't suggest he's singing about anything other than girls and good times etc. Which is fair enough, but he was such a good lyricist back in the EOPE days, it's a shame he doesn't go back to that.

mr.az

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 18:37    Reply with quote

eviltimeban wrote:
mr.az wrote:

Yes but song titles like "Shake It On", "Superfresh", "Hot Property", "Carla", "Summer Girl", "Dr Buzz" etc, don't suggest he's singing about anything other than girls and good times etc. Which is fair enough, but he was such a good lyricist back in the EOPE days, it's a shame he doesn't go back to that.

Maybe the only politic themed song will be automaton? Shocked
I wonder if dr.buzz have something critic related...
AFO=AUTOMATON

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 19:37    Reply with quote

I remember Jay saying in an interview he pretty much said everything he wanted to.
He does sing about social/cultural/political issues from time to time. Virtual Insanity, Twenty Zero One, World That He Wants.
Rock Dust Light Star is more about religion, same with Starchild.
Automaton could be about that too, we'll know tomorrow.

Maybe we won't get another album filled with political themes. If the world goes to sh*t after Trump, maybe we will. Who knows.

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 02:32    Reply with quote

Look, I love "The World that he Wants", and loved that Bush was written of in the liner notes! It was so funny because I had the same views!

But as an artist, you have to be cautious you don't drive some people away, if you only sing about Veganism, you'll lose some meat-eaters.

I'll bet Jami will have some general song or reference to politics. I'm hoping.
But I'd hate for Jamiroquai to be labeled against American politics, rather do it inconspicuously, in double entendres! Maybe they should write a song about the Pussy hat!

I can't stand Trump and his cabinet, and can't believe people support him. This is the modern reality. Some people suck.

Eviltimeban where are you from?
It's hard to write a timeless song about politics becoming dated. But there are things that are some things that are forever.

Last edited by HoneyBee on Thu Jan 26, 2017 02:37; edited 1 time in total

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 02:37    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
Look, I love "The World that he Wants", and loved that Bush was written of in the liner notes! It was so funny because I had the same views!

But as an artist, you have to be cautious you don't drive some people away, if you only sing about Veganism, you'll lose some meat-eaters.

But I'd hate for Jamiroquai to be labeled against American politics, rather do it inconspicuously, in double entendres! Maybe they should write a song about the Pussy hat!

I can't stand Trump and his cabinet, and can't believe people support him. This is the modern reality. Some people suck.

One of the things I love most about Jay's lyrics is that a lot of the stuff can be applied to several things. Sure, World That He Wants was about Bush, but it could also be any other guy like that in history.
Apparently, Never Gonna Be Another was about a friend of his. But the lyrics could be about anyone you can relate to. A lot of lines in most songs are open to interpretation, and I really like that. It makes the songs a little deeper, and as you get older, some of the lyrics get new meanings.

mr.az

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 03:07    Reply with quote

Let't not forget even the ''light'' seven days in sunny june was censored, and that is a song of love and bittersweet, and i love the fact just a one lyric has made so much impact Cool

Jay know how to sing about the universe, so, let's wait
Who knows in one of the''light'' songs there's a deeper lyric that says so much(like in many jamiroquai songs)

Those last years i've changed my way to write songs,because i found jay put many subtle critics in love songs, and i like the fact you can sing a love song thats say much more than just''you girl , you are so special'' Laughing Laughing
AFO=AUTOMATON

Curry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 08:21    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:

It's hard to write a timeless song about politics becoming dated. But there are things that are some things that are forever.

To be honest, I will always love Rage Against the Machine. They were so political and anti-establishment that it created a huge audience because they agreed with them.

Same with Jay. He first gained traction for his political messages. For him to strongly go back to that now...especially now....I think will invigorate a lot of minds who feel overwhelmed by establishment rule.

I think what Jay sings about won't endanger his place or standing with people, and I don't think there will ever be a time where he won't stand up for people's rights. He's the type who won't name names, but will get the message across.

With our dumbest and most sellout administration we've ever witnessed, would it be too much for Jay to sing about what they stand for and the crap that spurned Brexit?

Honestly, I think the man has a lot of material to work with! lol

A whole lot! Laughing

eviltimeban

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:01    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:

Ireland. We know a thing or two about politics and conflict over here! Wink

If he said all he needed to say, then fair enough - but there's still so much to say. I'd love an album with lyrics as rich and complex as EOPE. Heck, I'd even settle for a Light Years or Manifest Destiny approach (a little more subtle).

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 17:17    Reply with quote

3 things:

Az: You Carla, you are so special
Curry: Free Leonard Peltier
&
Evilbatman: Sure, Look it

Very Happy

and Dye, yes the politics will probably be covert, and the love songs have some depth to them.
I love the love songs, I want more ballads -so hoping for that.

Last edited by HoneyBee on Fri Jan 27, 2017 20:40; edited 1 time in total

mr.az

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 19:48    Reply with quote

I can bet some love songs have subtle critics, at least i like to write some that way(jay was my teacher Laughing Laughing )

So, don't take love songs as love songs, they can be politic at the same time(so bad punk and rock bands think a title is enough sometimes)
I like to think you can make subtle critics to the world in love songs.
AFO=AUTOMATON

def.con.1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 18:48    Reply with quote

It's tough to make political themes/lyrics work in music because you can't be too specific or you might alienate some fans or end up sounding dated, and you can't be too vague because it'll sound insincere and frankly it's probably already been done/said already.

"Automaton" is obviously about the inhuman and alienating aspects of modern technology. A theme the band, and many others, have written about before. Not revolutionary, but not absolute fluff either.

I have no problem with Jay Kay not singing overtly about politics, but I kinda wish he'd stop writing such tepid love songs.

eviltimeban

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 09:46    Reply with quote

def.con.1 wrote:
It's tough to make political themes/lyrics work in music because you can't be too specific or you might alienate some fans or end up sounding dated

But the lyrics of EOPE are as relevant today as they were back in 1993. Things haven't improved, and with Trump and the rise of the right, they are even worse.

An overt anti-Trump song would sound dated in 20 years, sure. But something akin to EOPE wouldn't.

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 19:00    Reply with quote

yes Jamiroquai should write in what's pertinent to them; political themes, a social evolution to digital technology society, an evil leader come to ruin a country...

But I want to say something about the early album EOPE; I made a mix-cd to pass on, (but it's still in my car) and "Blow your mind" is back-to-back with "You Give me Something", and after BYM plays, you realize it sounds like he was singing in a box! To me, BYM his voice sounds kinda flat, placed in the back. And well, singing about 'blowing your mind' isn't political! (but I love the trumpet). So to all those who only love the early music. Smile

I like YGMS better, his voice is clearer and in the front, is this that loudness war discussed here? I think it's better recording techniques. Plus the song is better layered and groovy. I'm hoping this album will be more like AFO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiro-Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: