jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

actual physical automaton/cloud 9 single out there?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 19:27    Reply with quote

actual physical automaton/cloud 9 single out there?
any of you has asingle from the present release?

***STONED AGAIN***

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 20:40    Reply with quote

i saw on funkin.com that all the releases have been only digital edition (i was suspecting that)
there isn't even any physical promo?
why there is no single out there?

***STONED AGAIN***

mr.az

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 21:30    Reply with quote

maybe the time jay said the music is only online and digital( a very old interview) has come...
AFO=AUTOMATON

Jam Vibe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 22:11    Reply with quote

I think it's a Universal Music thing, back in 2013 they announced that due to low sales they we're not going to release any singles in CD apart from some very "especial" tunes.

Edit: It seems that they've made some physical promos, as one of them popped on ebay.

Mofle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 09:26    Reply with quote

Cloud 9 promo sold on Ebay. ¿Fake or not? Rolling Eyes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAMIROQUAI-CLOUD-9-NEW-UPFRONT-2-TRACK-VIRGIN-RECS-CD-PROMO-IN-CARD-SLEEVE-/311844391218?hash=item489b5fc932%3Ag%3A1JgAAOSwuLZY6-Ex&nma=true&si=JZ4%252FGQJnm7C40rONn6geDt4rKUg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

wounded buffalo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 19:09    Reply with quote

That promo on ebay looks genuine to me, or a very good fake. Does anyone know what the radio edit is? (I didn't realise there was one!).

Also, there will be a limited edition physical release of automaton as a 10" single for Record Store Day (22nd April), with nights out in the jungle as a b-side.

Jam Vibe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 20:13    Reply with quote

wounded buffalo wrote:
That promo on ebay looks genuine to me, or a very good fake. Does anyone know what the radio edit is? (I didn't realise there was one!).
The radio edit is the one that was originally premiered, it's almost exactly the same of the album but without the keyboard breakdown.

funkin
JIP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 09:02    Reply with quote

jamirokaki wrote:
i saw on funkin.com that all the releases have been only digital edition (i was suspecting that)
there isn't even any physical promo?
why there is no single out there?

Don't trust the discography at funkin!!! There is all sorts of info about releases at discogs.com but as others are saying it's hard to know if things are real or fake now. Although that virgin records promo does looks kind of official.

Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 04:11    Reply with quote

wounded buffalo wrote:
That promo on ebay looks genuine to me, or a very good fake.

That ebay listing will disappear over time, so I'll put these here in case we don't see another one (which would be weird if it was a genuine promo seeing as they usually make loads of them):

Posted image has been reduced in size. Size of original image (239656 KB) is 1600 x 1600 pixels. Click image to view full size and better quality!
Posted image has been reduced in size. Size of original image (299704 KB) is 1600 x 1600 pixels. Click image to view full size and better quality!

One thing that makes me a little suspicious is the written date. We know the album was released that day, but didn't the single get released to radio stations in February? It was available well before the album in any case.

Looking at the sellers other items (all he sells are CD promos it seems), it's hard to tell for sure if they're legit or made in his bedroom. A lot definitely look like they're thin paper covers that have been made on a poor quality inkjet printer, and the printing on the discs look cheap too. I don't know - maybe that's how promos get made these days? Be SO easy to fake though...

wounded buffalo wrote:
Does anyone know what the radio edit is? (I didn't realise there was one!).

I think the radio edit might be the shortened version we see the band playing to when they've done it 'live' on TV those times - it seems to finish quite abruptly with that violin bit.

jamfan2005

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 14:16    Reply with quote

To me it looks fake because no time length for songs or mention of which is track 1 or track 2. There is no information about the record company either (typically at small print on the bottom). Seems a bit like a fake to me.

gonna_dance

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 15:44    Reply with quote

I don't think it's a fake copy. It looks genuine. Nowadays, promo cd are less usual than in the 90's and first decade of 2000's. I wouldn't expect too many promos and even singles. Times has changed and not too many stuff is released in these days. Maybe some vinyl and special editions will be released, but singles are not a great deal for companies.

I remember some promos from dynamite and RDLS that really look as cheap copies but they're official.

Andrew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 06:34    Reply with quote

For the record, here is the profile of the seller of the item above.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/luckylarryspromoshack

As you can see, their negative feedback is littered with comments accusing them of selling fake promos.

It would not surprise me at all if that Cloud 9 item is a fake. It would be the easiest thing in the world to make, and if someone's prepared to pay £60 for one...(!) the temptation to make some easy money is definitely there. I mean, the image they used for the front is simply the first one that shows up when you do a Google image search for "Jamiroquai Cloud 9" and the Virgin EMI logo is equally easy to find.

We don't have an image of the disc itself, but it would seem doubtful that Virgin, having gone to the trouble of getting someone to create a unique cover like this, would fail to put some sort of catalogue number or identification on it somewhere too. I'd want to see another one exactly the same coming from a different source before thinking it's genuine.

wounded buffalo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 09:41    Reply with quote

I'm also starting to think it's likely to be a fake.

The thing that makes me most suspicious is that I have only ever seen this one item appear (and as a collector I am looking). Even for very rare CDR promos on previous albums, we see a few on the market around the time they are distributed. So I agree with Andrew that there should be others coming from different sources if it were genuine. And I would expect a catalogue number on the sleeve.

mr.az

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 03:06    Reply with quote

so, we are in a era with only digital promos-singles...
AFO=AUTOMATON

wounded buffalo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 17:11    Reply with quote

Automaton 10" released as a Record Store Day single today.

https://www.discogs.com/Jamiroquai-Automaton/release/10173130

Looks very nice, my local store didn't have it unfortunately. I'm guessing both tracks are the album versions, anyone know?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiro-Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: