jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Old School Fan here , my Review of Automaton

View previous topic :: View next topic  

deerosa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 17:56    Reply with quote

Old School Fan here , my Review of Automaton
Some of you might recognize the name from the old old forums, I am a Jamiroquai OG and have been to over ten stateside concerts, when they used to tour here Smile. I would check them out in L.A. and San Diego back in the day. I have also hung out with the band for both stints and attended the after party shows. Good times believe me!

Overall I like the album as I like how they fused some of their old school sounds, you have to dig deep but it's in there.

Automaton

Shake it on – Wurlitzer Sounds/ this one has grown on me like some of other Jay songs it’s all about the bridge and taking it to the other side, what lies on the other side is sometimes a funkier version of the previous half of the song. As a bass player it kicks in at the 4:02 mark with Paul’s dirty bass track. Then the song goes into overdrive with the strings and his background vocals from the female singers. Again, like any other Jamiroquai album you fast forward a few but then go back to the one’s you skipped and go, hmmm what do we have here 

Automaton – at first I was like, WTF is going with this daft punk crap….oh wait Jay influenced Daft Punk what am I talking about. In many ways it has a Deeper Underground vibe and drum track to it. He’s been doing this shit for year’s man! But at the 1:10 mark it starts to come alive. 3:00 minute mark he does his scat/rap but at 3:15 with Rob’s guitar we only get a snippet from it turning into a master track 

Superfresh – I like what Paul’s doing on bass. But as an “old school “ jamifan I feel like this is a B-side for AFO and that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I am surprised that this was put out as a video/single this week. The track grows on you but this may have been put out since they have leftover footage from the first video and they could have chosen a better dancer for the vid.

Hot Property – One of my favorite tracks, did I mention I am a bass player. The mix of the keyboard bass and Paul’s fuzz bass is mesmerizing. Also, I always play this track loud in the ride. Infectious! Pauls snaps/pops underneath is just enough raw funk needed for the track. Prince used to do this a lot, not a lot of flashy pops underneath but just enough to let you know, I am in this motherfucker.  2:25 mark on the track turns into a rising wave of disco funk. I dig it! If you get a chance check out the paris show roundhouse show when they perform it live , it sounds great.

Something about you – for me this is a tasty track. Rob’s guitar licks are just enough and Paul’s bass is upfront. The 2:55 Mark oh boy here he we go again turning the track upside down. When the band drops except Rob’s guitar and they come back in with the backing vocals, just a good track for me.

Summer Girl – my favorite track, song does it for me. Intro with Sola and Derrick is nice, wanted some more percussion myself. Nasty and tasteful bass from Paul and this album starts to become a passive Jamiroquai album to a good album. This album bridges the gap from TWM/AFO in my opinion.
Nights out in the Jungle – drum and bass remind me of early jamiroquai. “Hooked up’esque” drums with some cowbell, I will take it.
To be continued……

Poderfunk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 23:33    Reply with quote

nice review! Very Happy wanna read more of your opinion
TY for share it with us

deerosa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 19:54    Reply with quote

Jamiroquai Review Cont'd
Nights out in the Jungle – drum and bass remind me of early jamiroquai. Also the drums sound reminiscent of “hooked up” from the 1st album. In many ways this can pass as an instrumental and Jay mentioned they shot a video for it.

Dr Buzz - This one grew on me after a couple of listens. It has al ot going for it especially the can you feel me chorus with the background singers chiming in and the hands up, don't shoot fade at the end. I guess it has to do with people going home and getting buzz either drinking or getting their weed on to stop thinking about the shit that is going out there with violence and folks getting shot up for no reason. I live in the states and its a shame really. I grew up in the South Bronx in the 80's so I have seen it all as well.

We Can Do It - I like this track, he has the drifting along sound and feel to his voice. I like to ride in my car with this track on. I am digging it for sure.

Vitamin - This track sounds like something from the TWM era for sure. Anyhow I like it but not one of my favorite tracks. Of course I am digging the distorted bass.

Carla- Probably Jays most personal song. Definitely has a Michael Jackson feel to it with the Keyboard bass in the background. I recently heard them do this on one of the last live sets. Amazing how you do not like a song orignally played but when you hear it live you like it more. Case in point with this song.

** As I am typing this I got a tweet back from Paul Turner. He used the Stenback for Summer Girl and the MM Stingray 5 for Superfresh. **

Replying to @deerosa
Stenback for Summer Girl and MM Stingray 5 for Superfresh

John Doggett

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 14:26    Reply with quote

It's a very nice review deerosa !
I like your analysis which is close To mine except that I really love the Vitamin track (one of the best Jamiroquai song imo, a perfect fusion of Do you Know, Butterfly and Planet Home)

Summer Girl is a beautiful track too, the percussions at the begining remind me the cosmic girl vibes and the song itself is a Big wink to Leon Ware (liste To I want you for the bridge and the song what's your name).
Nights out of the jungle has this didgin out feeling. Well see about superfresh: Paul Turner bassline is pretty good and the title grows on me.
Did you listen to Nice and spicy, which is a lovely track ?

Last edited by John Doggett on Thu Aug 03, 2017 20:47; edited 1 time in total

deerosa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 16:23    Reply with quote

John Doggett wrote:
It's a very nice review deerosa !
I like your analysis which is close To mine except that I really love the Vitamin track (one of the best Jamiroquai song imo, a perfect fusion of Do you Know, Butterfly and Planet Home)

Summer Girl is a beautiful track too, the percussions at the begining remind me the cosmic girl vibes and the song itself is a Big wink to Leon Ware (liste To I want you for the bridge and the song what's your name).
Nights out of the jungle has this didgin out feeling. Well see about superfresh: Paul Turner bassline is pretty good and the title grows on me.
Did toi liste To nice and spicy, which is a lovely track ?

Yes I like nice and spicey as well. Vitamin is something that could have easily been on the TWM album or B-side.

I agree with everything you said here John.

deerosa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 16:28    Reply with quote

Hot Property Live
I am digging how some of the new tracks fit so well with the setlist as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqXwgbc-XkA

Hot Property
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiro-Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: