jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Symphonized? Will it ever be released?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

deerosa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 15:41    Reply with quote

Symphonized? Will it ever be released?
I know this has been discussed but I really feel this album may have had some amazing tracks to it. Definitely a dark period for the band between the departure and having to scrap everything that involved Stu. Just wish it would surface or see the light someday.

smellbob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 09:10    Reply with quote

What's funny is still after all these years, we don't know the whole situation, as I don't think Jay or Stuart ever said exactly what happened, which makes the whole Symphonized sessions being shelved, and in turn the Synkronized sessions very quickly taking it's place thing kinda confusing.

There are many reasons fans think, which many different reasons might be in connection with each other. But it's all assumptions.

Some people say Stuart Zender was expecting a child at the time, (which he was) so he decided to focus on that. So being that Stuart Zender temporarily left the band, the songs he cowrote had to be put on hold. For reasons unknown connected to that, he never returned to the Jamiroquai ensemble and the tracks Zender wrote, unfortunately left with him.

Some people say that Sony did not approve of most of the tracks they wrote for Symphonized. So maybe this might be in connection to another reason, (Zender leaving the group, etc) which lead to the whole project being closed.

Some people say that Jay and Stuart were quarreling around this time. Over financial reasons and royalty reasons etc. People say Stuart Zender wasn't being fairly treated as a bandmember with songwriting being a main issue. . So I guess in act of rebellion, Stuart Zender left the group and put out a lawsuit or something saying the tracks he wrote Jay and the rest of the guys can't use etc. So Symphonized was shelved, and they decided to start fresh with Synkronized with no Stuart Zender input at all.

I don't know.

What I do know is this, in other words, Symphonized was the original fourth album, likewise being Synkronized that due to conflicting reasons wasn't completed;

This video supposedly contains samples of sounds (with the exception of the last song that was an error of the uploader who added the instrumental version of Space Clav) that were apart of the Symphonized sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsaklGHwcbM

There are two sound clips that might be the same song, and fans have labelled it "Midnight Funk", but the second and third pieces were featured in a commercial bumper for the 1998 MTV Video Music Awards which had Jay miming to the prerecorded music in a recording studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Ez1VugiQY

Here's an extended fan made version of "Midnight Funk" which I love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crPdaN7pBtg

So all we know is that "Midnight Funk" track is very possibly apart of the Symphonized project.

I also think that Shoot The Moon is also a Symphonized track that they somehow were able to use.

There is a youtube channel, which I don't know is run by Stuart Zender or not, but they are uploading rare Jamiroquai recordings. Such as the original versions of Scam and Mr. Moon. I don't know if they are going to post any Symphonized stuff, but anyways, here it is
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG_e3RpwWyZmtwR6NZ2TroA/feed

Other than that, that's all I know on this.

Yes I would love for more information on Symphonized to come out.

deerosa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:52    Reply with quote

Awesome breakdown.....
I actually knew every thing you mentioned here Very Happy

Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 15:14    Reply with quote

There are slightly longer versions of those MTV clips that have Jay talking in them (one where he's swinging in a cane chair hanging off a tree in a garden and the other in that same studio - possibly Chillington?). I think the show these two clips come from was a feature about past MTV award winners which was shown prior to the main awards show in 1998 as smellbob mentioned. In each of the clips of him talking you can just hear in the background some music playing which must have been mixed in later for the show. I'm not sure if this background music is Jamiroquai or not, but it has that feel, and in the clip of him talking in the studio, some of the faint sounds that can be heard sound very similar to a part of Snooze You Lose, which came out on that limited CD that was made to promote the new website three years later around the time of the AFO release. Makes me think an early version of Snooze You Lose might have been started around the time of the "Symphonized" sessions, set aside during the making of Synkronized and developed a bit more later on.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if LOADS of the ideas that get thrown around in the studio when making an album get put aside and eventually used or reworked into something else down the track. It probably happened with some of the stuff from Symphonized too.

I have a vague recollection of hearing that Stu mentioned something he was involved in during the Symphonized time was morphed into what later became Little L, but don't hold me to that, I can't remember where I got that info from.

smellbob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 09:44    Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
There are slightly longer versions of those MTV clips that have Jay talking in them (one where he's swinging in a cane chair hanging off a tree in a garden and the other in that same studio - possibly Chillington?). I think the show these two clips come from was a feature about past MTV award winners which was shown prior to the main awards show in 1998 as smellbob mentioned. In each of the clips of him talking you can just hear in the background some music playing which must have been mixed in later for the show. I'm not sure if this background music is Jamiroquai or not, but it has that feel, and in the clip of him talking in the studio, some of the faint sounds that can be heard sound very similar to a part of Snooze You Lose, which came out on that limited CD that was made to promote the new website three years later around the time of the AFO release. Makes me think an early version of Snooze You Lose might have been started around the time of the "Symphonized" sessions, set aside during the making of Synkronized and developed a bit more later on.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if LOADS of the ideas that get thrown around in the studio when making an album get put aside and eventually used or reworked into something else down the track. It probably happened with some of the stuff from Symphonized too.

I have a vague recollection of hearing that Stu mentioned something he was involved in during the Symphonized time was morphed into what later became Little L, but don't hold me to that, I can't remember where I got that info from.

^^^
Wow nice, now that you have mentioned that,

(I knew there were more VMA clips and you can see from that clip there's a clip of Jay talking that got spliced, but I never knew they featured more Symphonized/Rejected Synkronized tracks. Nice.)

But now that you mentioned that, it reminded me of some Jamiroquai Sony commercials. I think they used to be on youtube long time ago.

But there used to be so, so many Japanese Sony commercials with Jay being their spokesperson like around the TWM, Symphonized/Synkronized time.

As Jamiroquai was, and still is very huge in Japan.

He would be advertising Sony Minidisc Players (oh no V_V lol), Sony discmans and walkmans, sony boomboxes, and sometimes he would just be driving a sports car or jumping off buildings not really promoting a specific Sony item, but just advertising their name.

All the adverts would have a Jamiroquai song playing in the background.

Here's an example of one of many commercials that I was able to find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTP37jXSezo

Anyways, I couldn't find them online, but I swear there were some commercials he did that had background music that wasn't familiar sounding at all. I'm fairly sure that they were Symphonized tracks.

Similar to as you said there are similar VMA bumper clips that feature possible Symphonized tracks.

Thank you for reminding me of this. Wow.

Javis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 14:12    Reply with quote

What Stu said about leaving the group, was that he took some weeks off for vacations and when he came back, the group already had a new bass player.

Javis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 14:13    Reply with quote

Regarding Shymphonized, Stu said that it was basically Canned Heat with some chords modified .

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 20:50    Reply with quote

Javis wrote:
What Stu said about leaving the group, was that he took some weeks off for vacations and when he came back, the group already had a new bass player.

mmhhh....i think that story is for the bass on space cowboy album version track...

***STONED AGAIN***

Javis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 21:00    Reply with quote

jamirokaki wrote:
Javis wrote:

mmhhh....i think that story is for the bass on space cowboy album version track...

haha is actually similar, it was on a Magazine interview, around the time Smile was released, Stu wasn't on a very good mood regarding all Jamiroquai things, and I remember reading that interview because of what Stu was publishing on different social networks.

I couldn't find the article anymore :S it was a scanned magazine. Well not I don't know.. :S

Last edited by Javis on Wed Jul 26, 2017 21:30; edited 1 time in total

Javis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 21:27    Reply with quote

I was searching for the article and I came up to this little piece of information:

Quote:
They played some music awards a few years back and Stuart came out with a nice red mark on his face and a less-than-happy expression. It was later noted that he had just gotten punched by the singer over some dispute backstage.

Quote:
Yeah I was watching VH1 and they played on the Fashion Awards in 96' or 97' and they said that the whole band was in a fight and beating each other up. THen Stuart left and D'Angelo was just about ready to fill in for him and then he came back seconds before they were supposed to preform. Could that be why he was playing with a nice mark on his face?

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/why-did-stuart-zender-quit-jamiroquai.52328/

so I went to look for the video of that performance and:

Quote:
Allegedly Zender and K got into a scrap before they hit the stage. If you look at Zender's right cheek bone you can see that it is slightly red and raised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhhtdIFMUI

Did you know about that?

Curry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 06:34    Reply with quote

I don't see anything in that video clip...and that's where I'll stop indulging in old lady gossip.

Regardless, I doubt Symphonized will be released unless both parties can agree to something.

deerosa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 15:07    Reply with quote

Wanted to focus on the music soley...
Not really about stu's departure which yes had something to do with it being scrapped and re-worked. I just like the fact that in some of those clips you can hear plenty of horns and Jay Scatting. Midnight Funk would have been a tremendous song to release and a fan favorite no doubt!

Synkronized is an underrated album in my opinion.

Javis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 18:12    Reply with quote

Re: Wanted to focus on the music soley...
deerosa wrote:
Synkronized is an underrated album in my opinion.

Well, maybe. it definitely has some of the best songs in all Jamiroquai story, but the fact it had so many instrumental tracks ruined the whole experience and made it feel like incomplete and unfinished to me.

Adidas2076

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 21:31    Reply with quote

Had so many instrumental tracks??? It had 1. 2 of you want to count Supersonic due to its repetitive lyrics. Travelling had 2 instrumentals back to back with the same lead instrument and 2 more on singles. In my opinion, Destitute Illusions is their best album instrumental they've ever done.

Javis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 22:50    Reply with quote

well it feelt like much XD maybe because the album is short? I dunno
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiro-Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: