jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

San Francisco review (part 1)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> The Dynamite Tour
View previous topic :: View next topic  

spacecowboy_vibe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 05:39    Reply with quote

San Francisco review (part 1)
Hey guys, I will first say that this is the first of two messages I-ll be posting on the san francisco review, since I am currently at my pre-final period of university, I graduate this december but end school by the end of next week, so it-s kinnda bussy for me right now... here it goes, and enjoy.

This is my very first time writing a gig review; as a matter of fact it was the very first time to see Jamiroquai perform live, so I will start telling what went before I got to the gig:
November 5:
My plane leaves Monterrey at 2:40 PM but since it’s an international flight I had to be there a little early, so I got to the airport about 12:00 PM because my classes ended early that morning. I took an early flight but had to board right away I got to continental airlines front desk, but since I only was carrying a backpack (full with my video camera... oh yes... I taped 90 minutes of the gig) a photo camera and my TROTSC guitar tab book, which became truly handful latter on..
As I got on the plane, I realized somebody made a mistake, I got seat 21A, and there was only places till 19... I was confused and asked for help, and a jackass started slamming the restroom door and making fun that I would have to travel in there, I told him to fuck his own ass Twisted Evil and apparently he stepped off it (a bit rude hahaha)
Next thing I know, I am seating next to a beautiful, lovely, but married Canadian lady, who turned out to be one major figure in the enterprise that builds those blackberries devices... we were talking about many things, and I told him some jamiroquai stuff as she kept asking. One hour latter we landed on Houston and I was going to be there for about two hours and a half to make my connection to Sacramento (where my friend pyrat lives). I started hanging out the halls of the airport, and I went inside a music store, I searched for the Dynamite album and apparently it sales were doing alright, that what the clerk said... but I didn’t get a copy, I probably will get one in the future, since I am interested in the making of FJLIS, but anyway.
I landed on Sacramento around 8:30 PM and my friend pyrat took me to some night club in davies, a small university town, lovely and truly small. I got to meet some Brazilian girls (Brazilian femmes are incredibly lovely!!!), we spended the rest of the night listening boss nova and they were teaching me how to say kiss and, heart and stuff like that... Brazilian love was a mystery to me, i will miss paula and gena.
Okay, back to jamiroquai... On Sunday we drove to SF around 11 AM and go there around 12:30 PM, the weather was alright, a bit gray but trully fresh and incredibly beautiful. I saw Alcatraz an the golden gate (jay did a joke on this during the show)... and we went to the Fillmore.
There was no line, and we were the first guys to be there, but we went to a place named the boom boom room, this was some kind of bar, they were playing jazz and soul and I spended around an hour there, truly nice, only half a block away from the Fillmore.
So me and my mates were circumnavigating the area next to the Fillmore, and for my surprise the shoe store Harputs ( www.harputs.com) was about 7 spots away from the Fillmore, so, as you all cats must know I went there and checked the stuff… they only had a pair of Oregon, and they were number 5, so if anyone is running that size go and get them… Next door from harputs is a rather upscale trademark: Adidas Y-3 (for Yohji Yamamoto) (check also http://y3store.com/beta/ ) and I was amazed by the kind of stuff they have over there, expensive, but super nice…
Around 5 PM we went back to the Fillmore and started to line up, there was only about 5 people in front of me, one of the guys was (as I would find latter on conversation) a jamirotalker. This dude was wearing a pair of Oregons, the perfect excuse to start a little chat, and I salute you mate! (and yes, I handled to record the gig hahaha).
The bouncers were some kind of neo-light-posh-patsy-gangstaz, and they were trying to show a hard face, yabbing about stuff nobody cared, but the vibe on the line was getting higher and higher.. Around 7:00 PM people started moving in the Fillmore and I was a bit nervous because I was carrying a Handicam in a place where the sun doesn’t normally hit me, I was not taking chances so I figured out a little scam in case they pulled a metal detector on me, so I stapled my Jeans in the backside where there’s a line (to be clear, in the crack), but yeh, it went smooth, and it is amazing how a smile helps to avoid any suspicion, the lady that patted me down didn’t find anything on me, but he asked a couple of questions to my lady friend who carried my camera’s battery (it was one of those big bulky kinds), but she got away with it.
Once inside I ran to get a place right in the front and in the middle. The guy in the Oregon´s, Adidas 2076 (I can’t recall your name mate, but it was my pleasure to meet you) was as well right on the front so I just waited for the Dj to start playing and for the people to gather around. The DJ played for around an hour, and he was amazing in my opinion, since I am used to more housy tunes in clubs, and because he really knew how to blend tracks one another while keeping the funky sequence on.
I can’t truly say how happy I was feeling to see Jamiroquai for the very first time, but now I know what they mean when they say Jamiroquai is a live band.
People started doing the sound check, and the first one to appear was rob, he was barely showing is face behind the curtains on a balcony, he took a picture of two of the crowd and then it was Matt Johnson´s turn to make a click and flash they seemed very happy to be playing the second San Francisco show and to see how people was moving around dancing and bouncing to the rhythm of the Dj’s music.
Then Jay showed his face on the balcony, he smiled and then went away to a room to change clothes and put his hat on. It took about 20 minutes after the band got on stage, and man, it was surely impressive how the crowd got on when Enter the Dragon was on, the loop was excellent, very danceable and everybody seemed to know that it was just about time to start. Sudently the band started heading to their possisions and then Jay jumped on stage, got to the mic and said “San Franciscoo”.
He played Canned Heat and danced around. Jay got some cds with a white cover and the Jamiroman in black, very similar to the EOPE album cover, and he started to throw them around to the audience (I don’t know what was on those cds, but a guy that got one told me he got a blank cd, so they could probably be just to cheer the public up and warm things a bit, but since I didn’t got my hands on one, I’m just telling what a guy told me)…
When Canned heat ended (very energy charged performance), jay talked about how nice it was to be in san Francisco and how long it was since they had played in the states
After Spacecowboy, he just said: This next song is for the cosmic girls, and everybody kept on dancing. Rob was playing like the devil, I mean he was flawless and the best thing is that the sound truly made justice to the riff. The chorus was essencial in this tune, and the entire crowd sang this song, I can still remember everybody going: Like a baby barbarella, with the stars as her umbrella… she’s just a cosmic girl……sends me into hyperspace, when I see her pretty face?... Anyway, Sola did a good job on this song, he got about 5 seconds to hit it hard, and he showed his skills off.
When spacecowboy ended, Jay said that since it was too long they had first played in the states they were going to play a song from the first album, and they played revolution 1993. Man, this was one of the most energy-charged tunes, very danceable, and jay really got down to it, he was spinning around and he was following the music with his hands, coordinating with the chorus ladies and giving them instructions with his hands, apparently up to increase pitch and down to lower the note, they truly gave a hell of a show, this ladies know how to follow, they are very lovely and I loved how they noticed that people were aware of their singing.
Jay then says that next song is from the album a funk odyssey, and introduces Little L. I think people liked this one, since it was one of the most loud songs singed by the audience, and everybody followed clapping their hands, it was a very fun section of the gig. The guitar was in its prime, the song was fast and jay pulled his feet even faster than he was doing it, probably due to the nature of the song. I noticed jay likes to jump and touch the back side of his shoes a lot! And man, he did it a lot during this song (right now I’m watching the video hahaha) Sola got a decent part on this song, and he was making the whole audience scream, while jay was dancing salsa and spinning around, nevertheless, Derrik Makenzie defined the word synchronize, as he kept going side to side with sola: What a team fellas…
Then they jay says he feels it´s time to play a song from funk odyssey, and little L starts, I kept saying this, but the audience knew the lyrics word by words, and when the time came, everybody was shouting the song all over the place. San Francisco was in its prime.
Jay announces they will start playing a song from the new album, and Rob starts with the flirty guitar riff and then everything went down. Jay didn’t sing that effusively but he kept the audience singing the chorus lines.
In my tape there’s the voice of an assian girl (she was next to me) and she kept saying, I love you Jay kay. A very funny thing happened here, Jay thanks the audience for supporting the band all over the years, and then he starts saying that he takes proud to be a good boy, and then he asks what was “that disgusting smell” (a fella was lighting a spliff), and he started joking with the crowd saying “I don’t understand you kids, talking about legalizing marihuana, it’s nonsense” He talked a bit more on this, mentioning that he didn’t smoke and stuff, he was almost laughing but he pulled it off well and then he just laughed away, he said that he had to throw away his Ganja to cross the Canadian border, and somebody threw a joint right in front Jay, then he said “heeey, this is what I’m talkin´about, and then somebody else threw a big fat juicy Ganja piece and he asks “what is this???. Then a fella in the audience lighted a lighter and jay said “hey sunny, this is for me, I have to go back to Holland to get stuff like this” and then Spacecowboy started, and everybody was hooked on it, people were singing the chorus lines and jay seemed super high when he rolled his eyes on high notes, this cat knows how to enroll himself in the stuff he sings, but he didn’t seemed to be “under the influence”, I know for a fact that he was grounded since he was very professional during the whole performance.
Carrying it on, Jay introduced High times, very danceable, moved crowd and heavy rock vibe drifted the whole scenario. San Francisco crowd kept singing the whole song, and during the small bits of breaks the song has in between you could feel the people dancing all over the place. In this particular song Rob did his most effusive guitar presence, since he almost set on fire that thing he was carrying in his hands. There was a piece of the song where Sola and derrick kept it alive so smoothly, no other instrument was being played and jay improvised some vocal around the music.
I have a scene in my video where jay sees my camera (he already knew and he wasn’t mad on this)
He asked weather we wanted to listen Starchild or dynamite, and Starchild it was, then jay noticed that the people on the front was the same as last night and they saluted them. The song was full of bass and guitar and they both made an excellent ambient. I really want to state that Paul turner is an excellent performer; he changed a couple of notes and did a great piece of work.
You give me something started without notice and it kept everybody moving.
Feels just like it should was very different, it was played almost as a reggae, maybe because of the clear guitar sound and the rhythm that they adopted.
When they ended the song, a guy in the audience was shouting “Chelsea, Chelsea” and jay replies to this: “Chelsea?, I’m a Manchester united fan” and then a funky guitar riff gets on, it was the first time I heard this one, and I couldn’t figure it out which song was it, it was progressively climbing to a climax, and then Sola got to the intro of use the force. It must be said that the intro was outstanding and the whole song was one of my favorites. The synthesizer had a solo, very funky, and the bass man, ooh the bass…
During the break between songs at this point, jay told he was going to tell a little story, a funny one, he said some of the band had never been in San Francisco before (specifically pointing Paul), and they were in the cab, they were in a bridge, and Paul said: This is some fucking bridge, so what bridge is this? And he kept on joking about it.
--------------End of part one (more to come in the next days)------------

VirtuallyInsane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 07:43    Reply with quote

Wow this review reads more like a story!!! Thanks a lot for sharing your whole trip experience: well at least Part One of it!! Looking forward to reading Part Two!!

Thanks again!! Wink

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 17:38    Reply with quote

thanks for that great revoew, i hope you can write the second part soon....and i hope yo share that record of the concert!!!!
it should be great!
feels just like it should sounding like a reggae??? can't wait to hear that!

***STONED AGAIN***

monisum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 19:59    Reply with quote

Fantastic review Very Happy . Thank you very much. Wink

Can't wait for the second part Very Happy

Zsoma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 22:07    Reply with quote

" I need to see the Handy, man!" Razz Cool

And congratulations!

*frenchcosmicwine*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 18:20    Reply with quote

hi, I ve got the concert and I m ready for trading so e-mail if you have rareties

spacecowboy_vibe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 18:35    Reply with quote

hey
hey yes,

i have 90 mins of the concert on tape, but i haven't encoded it yet.
i have no time at the moment since i don't have the required equipment nor the time to get it since im looking for a job.
i'll let everybody know through here, when i have it to share it around.

regards
marco

deesh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 00:15    Reply with quote

i am at work bored waiting on my boss to finish what he has to do, so i can finish what i have to do and go the hell home...

so i'm reading old topics to keep me amused and came across this. someone just sent me a recording of the filmore concert, which i am downloading now, but i realized that they played FJLIS at this concert, which they rarely did in the USA (i think the first san fran date was the only time they played it) i hope this recording is from that first night with starchild and FJLIS.

okay, my boss is finally done. i'll be back with a report on the download.

goodnight all, dee

deesh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 14:53    Reply with quote

update - that download didn't work on my pc! ugh! oh well. can't miss what you never had. i'm sure i'll hear it eventually.

robotscantadlib

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 15:32    Reply with quote

This was the second day, right? The first day was special for me..I'll write a little story later on
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> The Dynamite Tour All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: