jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

how smart is Jay?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Zilali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 16:50    Reply with quote

how smart is Jay?
I was talking to a friend yesterday and the subject of intelligence and musicians came up. It quickly moved to specific artists of course!

I thought that Jay Kay seemed like a reasonably intelligent guy, not overly smart, but smart enough to stay in the music business for 15 years and not snort all his money up his nose or pay it out in alimony.

My friend on the other hand argued that that was no guarantee of intelligence. He thought that Jamiroquai was a product - you sign up with a record company and they assign smart people to manage your career and as long as you stay with the program you are o.k. Plus he deducted points because Jay can't play any instruments.

He certainly seems to have to a point because there is no other way to explain Britney Spears. She seems to be as dumb as a rock but a very wealthy and successful one nonetheless.

Obviously there is no real way of deciding this arguement (unless anyone here knows Jay personally) but I thought I would throw it out to the forum to see if anyone else had any thoughts on the subject.

Z

jameerica

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 17:53    Reply with quote

hmmmm I.Q. test? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
well....dunno what to say....he may not be very smart but he's certainly not ignorant as other "stars"....i know a guy who once met him in 1995(while there was still a war in my country) and he was quite surprised by the fact that jay actually knew what was going on in here....as he said "the average englishman thinks that we don't know how to use a toothbrush"....to me that's good enough....ain't no genius but at least he's aware of the world he lives in and the things that happen in it.

dynamite_love

Location: This town deserves a better class of criminal, and im gonna give it to them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 18:07    Reply with quote

Maybe he is not soo intelectual, you know..
But he is a guy who know about things.. he may be smart. why not ?

Anyway.. u have to know JAY in person, have a conversations with him, know how he thinks and then you will realized if Jay is smart, quite smart or not smart at all..

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 18:15    Reply with quote

there are 3 points in this subject i want to tell.

first: jay didn't snort all his money because he haves SO MUCH money, not because he didn't snorted too much. an artist that can buy a megacar monthly it's not easy to waste all his money in drugs. he was in the cocain and stoped right in time to not to waste all his voice and careeer, and so, his money.

second: jamiroquai is not a product comparable to britney spears. he can't play any intrument properly, but is him who "writes" the songs just singing the different instruments stuff. it's him who managed over this years all the band and technics and in this it's clear he's an intellignet guy.

third: although we don't know him in person so much, we heard him in million interviews and tv programs doing and talking about so many different matters and it's clear he's not dumb.

i would say jay is in the average intelligence (you know 90-100 in the intelligence text), knowing what's going on denotes he's interested in the world and don't live in a cloud doesn't means he's more intelligent just more concerned about the world.

***STONED AGAIN***

Zilali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 19:34    Reply with quote

Jamirokaki,

I think someone could quite easily snort $30 million! Probably not individually, but a couple of years of partying with friends and hangers-on, not to mention business associates ripping you off and I think the pot of money would shrink rapidly.

As for the interviews, I always find Jay Kay a bit random. Sometimes he sounds together and focused and other times you just wonder what he is talking about.

There was one interview he did on English T.V ( I can't find the link now) and he was asked what he would ban, if he was prime-minister for the day. And one of the items he chose was blancmange! (That is a pink, wobbly, dessert like jelly, for those who don't know).

Sure, he was probably just joking but he comes across as an idiot when he says stuff like that.

Z

jameerica

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 19:42    Reply with quote

LOL well....why not-i bet pink,jelly-like stuff can't be very healthy LOL
and jamirokaki is right-he's got too much money to snort it all up...and he's gotta have some brains i mean...you still need to think up that great music Wink

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 22:31    Reply with quote

well i heard him saying so many idots and stupid tihngs, but that doesn't mean his not intelligent.
in opposition i heard him lot of times saying intelligent things and that does mean he is (if you are not talking like a parrot, wich is not the case) Wink

***STONED AGAIN***

Samiroquai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 23:41    Reply with quote

Re: how smart is Jay?
Zilali wrote:
Plus he deducted points because Jay can't play any instruments.

In the UK Synkronized Tour programme, Jay claims that he plays the bass on 'Supersonic'... so in fact no, your friend's probably right, thinking about it.

On a more serious note there are different levels of intelligence, and different subjects to be intelligent about. I couldn't arrange a horn section better than Jay, but I'm fairly certain that I could beat him in a debate about the Islamic mystical traditions of Persia...

Sam

dynamite_love

Location: This town deserves a better class of criminal, and im gonna give it to them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 01:33    Reply with quote

jamirokaki said this:
third: although we don't know him in person so much, we heard him in million interviews and tv programs doing and talking about so many different matters and it's clear he's not dumb.

Im absolutely agree... i mean, i hear to jay kay in so many interviews..a lots.. and i think he is quite smart.. you know.. jay is not dumb, i know.. He said a lot of intelligents things..

And yeah, jay write the songs.. and the lyrics are EXCELLENT!, i must say..

that inspiration, imagination, creativity that jay kay has, is incredible..

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 09:19    Reply with quote

people understands the difference between intelligence and knowledge?

***STONED AGAIN***

FRA
Jamily Coach & Correspondent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:01    Reply with quote

Exactly Inaki, this s the point: so many persons misunderstand the meaning of all these mental human qualities: intelligence, knowledge, wisdom and talent, mixin up the definition of each one in another one and considering them the same thing is like denying a "part" of your mind. KNOWLEDGE IS NOT INTELLIGENCE! It's obvious. Knowledge is the pure and essential product of intelligence. As Sam said for example, i could write a full essay about the french literature but in a terrible spelling and grammar, this doesn't mean im not intelligent , only that i have a lack of the language.

http://www.myspace.com/frajamiroquaiaddicted
www.jamitaly.altervista.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

KennyAkira

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 17:37    Reply with quote

jamirokaki wrote:

jamiroquai is not a product comparable to britney spears. he can't play any intrument properly, but is him who "writes" the songs just singing the different instruments stuff. it's him who managed over this years all the band and technics and in this it's clear he's an intellignet guy.

I totally agree with this!
i think Jay is a very smart person ! he also had a past full of experiences that signed him a lots!
Then, the fact that he writes his song let's understand us how deep he can be and no matter what stupid things he can tells, sometimes it's better to say stupid things than getting too serious! Wink
And what about his knowledge? well... he knows about history, present time, politics, war, ecology, "music", movies, cars and he travelled through many different Countries increasing his cultural baggage...
for me it's enough and i don't care if he's able to act the Shakespearean' theatre...
we all got our lacks!

jameerica

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 17:43    Reply with quote

KennyAkira wrote:

for me it's enough and i don't care if he's able to act the Shakespearean' theatre...
we all got our lacks!

WHAHAHAHA LOL i'd love to see that!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

MissyM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 03:39    Reply with quote

He has great passion & talent for music and that has led to great success.. PPl who follow their dreams and believe they can do it always go far.. I believe he is very intelligent and has good knowlege about the really important things such as the environment and humanitarian issues. ...

FRA is right as well I think because you can't know everything about every subject.. You are better to find where your interests are and try to gain your knowlege in that area.. I would say he probably knows a thing or two about Cars!!..lol..

Space Clav
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 06:34    Reply with quote

Knowledge and intelligence are totally different things. Intelligence helps if you want to acquire knowledge though. But... you can also know a lot about certain things and still be a total idiot. Wisdom comes with age, but it is also comparable to being street smart. Wisdom and knowledge goes hand in hand but has virtually nothing to do with being intelligent but rather with the ability to make wise decisions. Talent is a whole different thing. Talent has nothing to do with intelligence. Even a simple moron can be talented in something... very talented even. Someone who can't tell what 2 + 2 is can still write a friggin' sonata with his index finger if someone puts him/her in front of a piano.

With that said I think Jay comes across as a bright bloke (smarter than average) with a healthy dosage of knowledge and wisdom as well as a big chunk of talent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jay Kay All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: