jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Jamiroquai is "electronic now! the funk is gone!"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Vincenzo89

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 02:01    Reply with quote

Re: Jamiroquai is "electronic now! the funk is gone!&a
def.con.1 wrote:
Been seeing this sentiment quite a bit on the boards and Facebook lately. A lot of angry and disappointed "fans" saying stuff like "it's all electronic now. there's no funk anymore!" It's driving me crazy.

Funk didn't begin and end with James Brown and Kool & The Gang. "Funk" doesn't simply mean live instruments with emphasis on pop-bass, wah guitars, and horns etc. Besides, Jamiroquai has been doing that sound longer than most of the actual bands from the 1960's/1970's that originated the genre.

People are forgetting about Kraftwerk, Giorgio Moroder, Zapp, Arthur Baker and Afrika Bambaataa, Cybotron, Herbie Hancock, Mantronix, and countless others who used and accentuated electronic instrumentation in their funk, disco, electro and early hip-hop productions in the late 70's and early 80's.

If you don't hear the "funk" in the "Automaton" single, I'm not sure what to tell you. You might be dead inside.

ignoring the fact that you open a topic about what people say about this track, opinions should be respected it is a forum and each of us can express opinions (bad or good) on what the band produces. Now if you say that automaton can be classified in the genre Funk I'm sorry you have no idea what Funk is.

Curry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 02:22    Reply with quote

iranterres wrote:
I will disregard this topic

Is it because you're too high to write a lengthy reply? Laughing

def.con.1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 03:05    Reply with quote

Vincenzo89 wrote:
def.con.1 wrote:
Been seeing this sentiment quite a bit on the boards and Facebook lately. A lot of angry and disappointed "fans" saying stuff like "it's all electronic now. there's no funk anymore!" It's driving me crazy.

Funk didn't begin and end with James Brown and Kool & The Gang. "Funk" doesn't simply mean live instruments with emphasis on pop-bass, wah guitars, and horns etc. Besides, Jamiroquai has been doing that sound longer than most of the actual bands from the 1960's/1970's that originated the genre.

People are forgetting about Kraftwerk, Giorgio Moroder, Zapp, Arthur Baker and Afrika Bambaataa, Cybotron, Herbie Hancock, Mantronix, and countless others who used and accentuated electronic instrumentation in their funk, disco, electro and early hip-hop productions in the late 70's and early 80's.

If you don't hear the "funk" in the "Automaton" single, I'm not sure what to tell you. You might be dead inside.

ignoring the fact that you open a topic about what people say about this track, opinions should be respected it is a forum and each of us can express opinions (bad or good) on what the band produces. Now if you say that automaton can be classified in the genre Funk I'm sorry you have no idea what Funk is.

First, I never said people weren't entitled to their opinions. I'm just puzzled by some of the disdain and resistance to "Automaton." Second, genre designations are subjective and open ended so like "jazz" or "rock, "funk" can encompass a variety of sounds. "Automaton" is a combination. Mostly electro and disco, but the bass playing during the chorus is absolutely funk.

This isn't a huge leap for the band just like it wasn't for jazz/funk artists like Herbie Hancock embracing electro and proto-hip-hop in the early 80's. "Automaton" is well within the funk lineage.

Curry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 03:45    Reply with quote

def.con.1 wrote:
but the bass playing during the chorus is absolutely funk.

"Automaton" is well within the funk lineage.

Going to be honest here, but I didn't hear it. While you can bop your head to it, it's not something I'd categorize as Funk. There are more components to Funk than just bass. Automaton is more electro/pop.

BudFox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:09    Reply with quote

I Like Automaton Smile

A Little bit Electrric
A Little bit Rock
A Little bit Daft Punk
but still very Jamiroquai Cool

Jamiroquai is a 25 years Band.
we can not expect to remain at one kind of genre.
In 1993 Jamiroquai was more Jazzy, Funky
In 2017 Jamiroquai is more Electric

That is no problem...
Many Super Stars and Bands go through transformation :
Madonna - ( Every 5 years new style )
Pet Shop Boys
Michael Jackson
Depeche Mode
Peter Gabriel
etc..etc.

iranterres

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:31    Reply with quote

Curry wrote:
iranterres wrote:
I will disregard this topic

Is it because you're too high to write a lengthy reply? Laughing

Touché

Zsoma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 13:11    Reply with quote

Vincenzo89 wrote:
Now if you say that automaton can be classified in the genre Funk I'm sorry you have no idea what Funk is.

"If you can define funk it ain't funky" - said a wise man called Prince Rogers Nelson once...

Is Automaton boogie / disco? Yes...
Does it give you the "funk face"? Not for me..

Elvishmaid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 19:51    Reply with quote

Seriously - I don't know what's the matter with people these days. One track of the new album that doesn't meet expectations and it's the end of the world?

I don't remember people acting like little children who didn't get their favourite sweets when Synchronzid came out.

Of course the track got funk. And I like it very much - I'm into electronic music.
And who says that the rest of the album sound exactly like Automaton? Rolling Eyes

Curry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 20:28    Reply with quote

Zsoma wrote:
"If you can define funk it ain't funky" - said a wise man called Prince Rogers Nelson once...

I'll take George Clinton's word for it. Laughing

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 00:18    Reply with quote

Zsoma wrote:
Vincenzo89 wrote:
Now if you say that automaton can be classified in the genre Funk I'm sorry you have no idea what Funk is.

Is Automaton boogie / disco? Yes...
Does it give you the "funk face"? Not for me..

haha "Funk Face" I love it!! let's not fight about it! I agree we all have different ideas of what the Funk means. I don't mean to get offended if others don't see it my way. Funk is a very strong word to me, and only applicable to a special few Wink including Prince. But he was also many other genres too.

it's like a groove down on 1-2-3 up on 4...back down...
So here's a tune I didn't even know by Prince; it's mellow, but still very funky, hoping for stuff like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZxrONlqsA&list=PLMvBgH8vQxY6yRdDulsP5NhTKvyE6R2H5

Jamiroquai are funky, and groovy and smooth. That's my favorite stuff. whatever Jamiroquai produce is good, so it doesn't matter what genre they get labeled with.
Just wait til the entire album is out because then it will all make sense.

Zsoma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 09:02    Reply with quote

Elvishmaid wrote:
Seriously - I don't know what's the matter with people these days. One track of the new album that doesn't meet expectations and it's the end of the world?

I smell a bit of overreacting right here, this topic was started off as someone said Automaton lacked the funk and people started defining funk from their perspective and I gave mine as well.
Curry wrote:
I'll take George Clinton's word for it.

I'll give you this one Wink

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 16:40    Reply with quote

which song of Jamiroquai's past is the Funkiest? Smile

Javis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 17:08    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
which song of Jamiroquai's past is the Funkiest? Smile

Don't know which one, but I'm pretty sure it's on the first album

def.con.1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 18:57    Reply with quote

Elvishmaid wrote:

I don't remember people acting like little children who didn't get their favourite sweets when Synchronzid came out.

Of course the track got funk. And I like it very much - I'm into electronic music.
And who says that the rest of the album sound exactly like Automaton? Rolling Eyes

I remember plenty of people freaking out, upset about Stuart Zender leaving the band at that time. People still moan about that to this day.

Javis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 19:12    Reply with quote

def.con.1 wrote:
Elvishmaid wrote:

I remember plenty of people freaking out, upset about Stuart Zender leaving the band at that time. People still moan about that to this day.

So you are that old huh ?

XD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiro-Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: