jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

RDLS outtakes to be released as New Year's gift
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Diamond_Doc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 19:29    Reply with quote

JamiroFan2000 wrote:

The reason I add the 'extended AGITH' to the list is that the version we heard way back with Derrick doing a drumming demonstration too was an 'edit', we haven't heard the 'full extended band version' of this yet. Whatever is released will be very interesting for the Jamily! EXCITING TIMES!

Derrick did a masterclass in Paris, right after the gig at la Salle Pleyel, & we heard the « extended extended » version of « All Good... ».
It end with lots of weird sounds...

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 13:25    Reply with quote

First one!

Now We Are Alone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiPQRFZUGs

As promised, enjoy the first in a series of new bonus tracks as a special Happy 2018 present, with a personal note about the song from Jay Kay himself here:

‘’After decimating every other species on the planet, humans may find out the poverty of their own existence, with nothing but cattle and domesticated animals left for company. What a tragedy we are creating. Hope you enjoy the track. Love. J’’

You might remember this song playing at the very beginning of that 9-minute RDLS documentary.

Javis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 16:42    Reply with quote

Thanks Dye! so good we are finally listening these outtakes!

zeioIIDX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 18:51    Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Dye! Awesome gift to come home to after classes today. Such a cool thing for the band to give us outtakes/b-sides and such.

Nice throwback track to their earlier stuff where some tracks were more politics/environment/planet earth centric. Pretty mellow track overall, nothing truly stands out in it although I do love the main chorus that starts with "Giant steps on the moon, what's that supposed to mean?"

It seems to start abruptly so not too sure why that is but it's possible the band didn't create a true intro to the track or they simply chose to upload a version that begins shortly after the real intro.

Giant steps on the moon, what's that supposed to mean?
Get your kicks down here killing dreams
Keep on trying to turn the world to stone
Hey, got no juice, used it all chasing you for miles and miles (I'm thinking of you alone)
And I keep thinking of us all alone

Concrete jungle keeps on getting (higher and higher)
Hey, let's wreak some devestation (higher and higher)
Ooh, let's wreak some devestation

There's no juice to run 'cause I used it all up chasing you
Gonna use my stolen(?) gun, send away our spirits to their doom
And it's all in God we trust, written on the paper that we burn
Painted faces in the dark tell us what we never, ever learn
Hey baby I'm thinking of me, thinking of you, thinking of us alone
Thinking of me, thinking of you, thinking of us alone

Giant steps on the moon, what's that supposed to mean?
Get your kicks down here killing dreams
Keep on trying to turn the world to stone
Hey, got no juice, used it all chasing you for miles and miles (I'm thinking of you alone)
And I keep thinking of us all alone

I'm thinking of me, thinking of you, thinking of us all alone

You know what I'm thinking
I'm thinking of me, thinking of you, thinking of us alone
Ooh, got no juice to run so let's make some devestation baby
All these rainbows of a dirty world
Ooh, got no juice to run

Nothing here pays the guys, keep on throwing it all to the side [Can't decipher this line]
Concrete jungle's getting higher and higher

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 21:24    Reply with quote

Thank you for the lyrics!

A few thoughts: first, I'm still impressed in the way the band -and specially Jay- have embraced social media. Is hard to believe, but remember a few years ago they were very reluctant to all of this stuff: selfie-videos, uploading leftover material, personal videos from the tour, posting regular stuff on FB and/or Twitter, etc.
It is a huge step forward for everyone involved. It brings everyone (the band and the fans) a little bit closer.

Second, as bonus material goes, I really like the track. It might be unfinished because there is no real intro, but musically it feels a bit different from everything on RDLS. Lots of synths with interesting lyrics (no boring love stuff), and that bass, man, it groovessss. In fact, it is some sort of companion piece for the song Rock Dust Light Star, touching some similar subjects.
I can think of a couple of songs on that album that could've been replaced with this one. Same with Smile.

Anyway (and I can't express this enough) I love that we are still high on the wave since Automaton was announced exactly one year ago today and they haven't faded away, specially with all this unreleased material and the latest videos.

And there's still more to come! Oh, great times.

John Doggett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 22:23    Reply with quote

As always thank you guys for the heads up, the lyrics and above all your involvement !
Thank you very much Jay !
I really dig this track ! I Iike the music, the lyrics, the groove ! You're right Dye, It's a kind of Rock Dust Light Star companion piece. But it could be the part 2 of Automaton title's track. It reminds me a little bit the AFO flavour too.

I remember that they've worked a lot during the RDLS sessions : about 40 tracks (!) was recorded, 12 + 4 were published (I don't count AGITH acoustic version) and there is some gems for sure.

I'm happy with this gift and I cant wait for the second track ! (Maybe Your Television is a crazy window ? (I'm not sure about the right title but you know what I mean !)

Last edited by John Doggett on Wed Jan 17, 2018 14:08; edited 2 times in total

smellbob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 08:16    Reply with quote

I know these are rejected and shelved demos, but still.

I'm not feeling this track. It sounds very boring and while it's still nice.

I love the acoustic sounds, it's just a really bland track for me.

I hope these other shelved RDLS/Automaton sessions songs are better than this though.

Zsoma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:24    Reply with quote

smellbob wrote:
I know these are rejected and shelved demos, but still.

I'm not feeling this track. It sounds very boring and while it's still nice.

I love the acoustic sounds, it's just a really bland track for me.

I hope these other shelved RDLS/Automaton sessions songs are better than this though.

Couldn't agree more, appreciate the message in the lyrics but overall it sounds more like a hybrid track of RDLS/Automaton, the tracks making the album sounded much more organic which I prefer.

zeioIIDX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 13:15    Reply with quote

I understand that feeling and I felt that way at first as well somewhat. It might have to do with the fact that Automaton is what we've all been listening to since last year and that had much punchier tracks on it so hearing something mellow and repetitious like Now We Are Alone is kinda like, "Wait...what?" lol.

But hey, it's still a groovy track with a nice bass line and an interesting message. The track has grown on me and it's been stuck in my head since yesterday now! Something I noticed with this track is that the instruments seem to take more of a backseat to Jay's vocals compared to what I normally hear. The beat is fairly minimal. I could be wrong though.

Earni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 17:36    Reply with quote

I also think that the song is not that catchy, but it's still cool and funky. I have to say that the promotion since Automaton came out is really good. There are plenty of videos for the album-songs, Jay and the band are sharing videos and pictures of their tourlife and they are releasing demo tracks Very Happy thumbs up!

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 23:44    Reply with quote

I was thinking... maybe that bit on the RDLS documentary was reworked for Automaton and has something to do with that Pangolin title that was supposed to have? The description talks about endangered species, and the style definetely sounds closer to Automaton than RDLS. Anyway, I'm still enjoying this one a lot. It doesn't sound like a single but one of those good long jams they used to have.

zeioIIDX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 13:10    Reply with quote

Dye wrote:
Anyway, I'm still enjoying this one a lot. It doesn't sound like a single but one of those good long jams they used to have.

It does! I actually miss the band's longer tracks that were chilled out. Stuff like Morning Glory, Blow Your Mind, Journey To Arnhemland (that lovely didgeridoo!), and Music of the Mind. The instrumentals were jarring to me when I first became a fan but I ended up loving them rather quickly.

Javis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 14:07    Reply with quote

there is a pretty interesting edit of the song where they added a (much needed) intro https://soundcloud.com/andy-moulton/now-we-are-alone-with-intro

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 22:35    Reply with quote

Oh yessss, now we are talking!

FunkyListener

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 23:45    Reply with quote

2018 Bonus Tracks
Are we going to be able to buy the 2018 bonus tracks through a digital services such as Amazon, iTunes etc???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: