jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

TUNE STORIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:35    Reply with quote

is a jackson 5 video what we see in the tv jay goes in,on canned heat video?

***STONED AGAIN***

Zsoma

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 08:09    Reply with quote

Just to give a push to the topic:

- In the demo version of When You Gonna Learn Jay sings a line "Do It Till You're Satisfied", which is from a B.T. Express song called "Do It Till You're Satisfied"

- The sample DJ D-Zire played in Space Cowboy on the TWM Tour ("Cheeba, Cheeba") is from a Harlem Underground Band song called "Smokin".

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 17:34    Reply with quote

Hi there,

I noticed something else, don't know if it has something to do... we know that Jamiroquai (and specially Jay) has a lot of influences. For example, Stevie Wonder, he has a song called 'Music Of My Mind'... and JMQ made 'Music Of The Mind'... there are a lot of those examples (in a topic I made... let me search it in a few minutes). Well... I was listening my MP3 of Sly & The Family Stone (clearly another influence on the band) with a song called... 'Dynamite'!! I wonder if those are just coincidences... or a tribute to what Jay likes... Rolling Eyes

EDIT: I found it! The topic 'Shoot the Titles: Same Names' here

D! (dyego)

Samiroquai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 01:16    Reply with quote

A few comments from me (I'm afraid I don't have the stamina to get through ALL of Jamirokaki's excellent posts right now, but I've read most of them, and nearly all of the points below are in reply to them)...

- Simon Bartholomew of the Heavies didn't only play for some of the EOPE tour gigs, he plays on the album as well. He's credited with it in the inlay. Simon Bartholomew is also in possession of the original EOPE sessions tapes, containing totally unreleased stuff, which Sony and Acid Jazz (Eddie Pillar, basically) have been arguing about since Jay switched labels. Simon's been advised to prepare it for reissue one day, but until they've sorted out which label has the rights to it, we won't hear any of it. I know this because Simon's best mate is a DJ called DJ Trafford Lovething, who plays with the Heavies live (and on their new album), and who I also am mates with, due to meeting him at a club night he DJs at in Manchester.

- Just Another Story, apart from being Derrick's first song, has, officially, the worst production of any Jami song ever. The snare drum sounds... well, you pretty much can't hear it. This appears to be because it was miked up incorrectly - the mic was put underneath the drum instead of above it.

- According to Jay's 'letter to the fans' in the 1999 Synkronized World Tour programme (or at least, the version we got at the UK gigs), Black Capricorn Day was meant to be the SECOND single from Synk, not the fourth as Jamirokaki suggests (Jay says it'll be 'the next single', and at the time that programme first came out, Canned Heat was the only song that had been released from Synk).

- The live versions of Canned Heat include a sample of the bassline from Chic's 'Dance Dance Dance (Yowsah Yowsah Yowsah)'. I know this because my own band stole the exact same bassline for one of our own songs (a couple of years BEFORE we heard Nick Fyffe using it, by the way).

- The song the band were jamming from that resulted in 'Love Foolosophy' was apparently 'Alright'. Can't remember where I read this, but it was Jay who said it...

- Jamirokaki's list of covers: i) I'm pretty sure Wild Style is not a cover, and ii) the original of Sunny is by Boney M (no idea who Bob Hebb is, but I wasn't able to find him anywhere on Amazon)...

- Just Another Story does indeed contain a couple, but I've never heard the word 'fuck' used in Revolution 1993. Certainly not on the UK CD release of the EOPE album - where did you hear it (at which point in the song)?

- Just found it interesting that you think Derrick's an amazing drummer, as well. My best mate IS a very good drummer indeed (good enough to be studying at Europe's best music college), and a big Jami fan, but he's fairly underwhelmed by Derrick. Derrick's decent (and compared with every other drummer in the world of POPULAR music today, he IS stunning), but not amazing, and he's certainly not a patch on Nick van Gelder...

And just a quick reply to T_R_S as well:

- Gil Scott-Heron is absolutely BRILLIANT. Just such a shame he's now gone down the path he once warned us all against, and finds himself 'living in a bottle'... I sincerely hope he manages to beat it one day...

Sam

Gonza-Arg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 04:45    Reply with quote

Hi jamirotalkers!
(thank Jamirokaki, you did an excellent work Wink )

And I think the beginning of the following songs are similar:

Everybody's going to the moon (The bassline at the begining)

Dynamite: at the begining (I think it's the keyboard what makes this sound, it's at the begining slower than in Everybody's going to the moon)

I Hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain Confused

Goodbye.

Keep on Groovin' yeah Exclamation

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:49    Reply with quote

Quote:
- Just Another Story does indeed contain a couple, but I've never heard the word 'fuck' used in Revolution 1993. Certainly not on the UK CD release of the EOPE album - where did you hear it (at which point in the song)?

the very last sentence on this track (wich is indeed hard to hear 'cos it have lower voulme and it's said in "duet" with the brass) is "i want to fight the fucking power", right now i'm not sure if it's the only time it's said but definitely this one is in the uk version of the album

***STONED AGAIN***

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 17:01    Reply with quote

Hello there,

I'm confused... I think Jay also said that the first song Derrick played with them was 'Mr Moon'... I believe he said that during the Montreux Festival 2003...... And now is 'Just Another Story'? Clear me up this please!

D! (dyego)

Samiroquai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 22:32    Reply with quote

Jamirokaki - interesting. That line's not too clear (very quiet, as you said), but I heard it as 'Everybody fight the power'. The metre and number of syllables doesn't sound quite right for 'I wanna fight the fucking power'...

Anyway, we differ on that one. I only asked at all because I'd just finished transcribing the lyrics to that song to (hopefully) go into one of the new sections on the Funkin site.

Sam

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 22:34    Reply with quote

Gonza-Arg wrote:
Hi jamirotalkers!
(thank Jamirokaki, you did an excellent work Wink )

And I think the beginning of the following songs are similar:

Everybody's going to the moon (The bassline at the begining)

Dynamite: at the begining (I think it's the keyboard what makes this sound, it's at the begining slower than in Everybody's going to the moon)

I Hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain Confused

Goodbye.

Yeah! I just heard that! Similar tempo or something like it Exclamation The 'chu chu chu' 'chu chu chu' at the beginning of 'Dynamite' is like the bassline at the beginning also of 'Everybody's going to the moon'. Same rhythm.

Cool.
D! (dyego)

Gonza-Arg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 22:39    Reply with quote

Good! So I'm not crazy, hehe.

Goodbye, thanks for listening.

Oh, and in the Odemira 2003 gig Jay sais that the first tune Derrick played was Just Another Story

Keep on Groovin' yeah Exclamation

Lydster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 20:48    Reply with quote

Because of the different versions of the videos: There is also a You Give Me Something version 3 where they cut another piece out. You can watch clips from these versions on funkin.com, the 3rd one can you watch on mtey.com. I also read on funkin.com that there is a censored version of Canned Heat where the scene with the two people in the bed (making "love") was removed.

anya korjik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 22:19    Reply with quote

Hey,Partypeople!Anyboby knows information about song name is "Cannabliss"?

mr.az

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 02:11    Reply with quote

jamirokaki wrote:
kubrick and jay

jay's favorite movie is 2001 a space odyssey, and he put the name of 5th album because of this, but i noticed another kubrick wink on jamiroquai stuff, yesterday i was watching (again) a clockwork orange, and theres an scene with Alex, dancing in a table, throwing everything on it, then jumping from it to the floor with a half turn and then trowing the table itself away and some other stuff on the room, you should see this and the quite same scene at the end of canned heat video Wink

yea i see the video Wink
very good work jamirokaki
ur info level is really amazing¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
AFO=AUTOMATON

mr.az

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 02:16    Reply with quote

Lydster wrote:
Because of the different versions of the videos: There is also a You Give Me Something version 3 where they cut another piece out. You can watch clips from these versions on funkin.com, the 3rd one can you watch on mtey.com. I also read on funkin.com that there is a censored version of Canned Heat where the scene with the two people in the bed (making "love") was removed.

yea i see the ''hot scene'' in canned heat video
AWESOME¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
i see this video uncensored in vh1 some days ago, and in www.mtey.com u can find the same version Wink
AFO=AUTOMATON

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 17:48    Reply with quote

anya korjik wrote:
Hey,Partypeople!Anyboby knows information about song name is "Cannabliss"?

this song was played by jamiroquai on funk odyssey tour in 2002.
in an interview (i think it was Rob) said that the intro and outro of corner of the earth was first made to be a full song named cannabliss, but they put only a short part of it as intro for corner of the earth at the end.
But the song played as cannabliss in those late tour concerts was so different from this intro, maybe they had the lyrics wrote for the other one, later made this new tune, and put the lyrics on it.

***STONED AGAIN***
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiro-Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: