jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Manchester 10th Concert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> The Dynamite Tour
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nico Rossi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 21:32    Reply with quote

Manchester 10th Concert
Wow! My first ever Jamiroquai concert was on Saturday and it was nothing short of absolutely brilliant. Here was the setlist and my thoughts.

Canned Heat - Opening song that came on to Jay dancing around like crazy on set.... it sounded really good, even if I preferred the style they did it in for the Funk Odyssey tour.

Space Cowboy - Got to hear the girls singing a lot in this, I really like the new breakdown they've put in it with the new lyrics that the girls sing. Sounds just awesome live, especially with the synth and drumming mixed together.

Dynamite - SONG OF THE NIGHT! This was just brilliant to listen to.... I'd heard a couple of 2005 live versions off it from the hub but nothing prepared me for this. Half way through the song Jay broke it all down and handed over to Matt to play for a good 2 or 3 minutes on the keyboard and then over to Paul on the bass. Everyone was jumping up and down screaming at this bit as it was really quite funky, then they looped it back to the final chorus with a Rob guitar solo. The whole place erupted come the end! Hopefully someone recorded a version of this, I was in love with the bassline for 10 minutes!

Cosmic Girl - Sounded good as ever and Paul funked it up quite a bit by throwing his own bass flicks into the mix from time to time.

Revolution 1993 - I just love this new style for this song, makes it sound so much better than the studio version! Everyone was dancing a lot to this and Derrick did a great solo in the middle.

Little L - The foot stomping song had everyone doing just that, particularly when Jay handed over to Paul to do his own thing for a bit in the bridge; fantastic.

Seven Days In Sunny June - Haha, Jay got someone from the crowd up on stage to sing it as they said they could do it better than him. This man was about 50 years old and very drunk, but nevertheless the band began to play anyway and Jay was in hysterics as this guy stumbled through the lyrics of the song. Jay tried to get the microphone back off him after the first verse, but he just held onto it so Jay walked to the end of the stage and sat down and pretended to sulk; everyone was laughing a lot and cheering the man on. Then Rob signalled to the band to just cut it and security bundled the man off the stage, never to be seen again haha. When they did it properly though it sounded good, though it would've been nice if Rob's guitar volume was cranked up slightly as you could barely hear his bit at the end, which is what I like most about the tune.

Love Blind - Didn't expect to hear this at all, but it sounded really good actually if very different to the album version. Everyone was singing a long in the ballad-style slow part in the middle.

Use The Force - This was my second favourite song of the night, completely different to the album version and all the better for it. Fantastic high tempo introduction that carried on throughout. Even better than the Montreux 03 version.

Love Foolosophy - This had the more casual Jamiroquai fans jumping up and down after a few of the more "obscure" songs. Great breakdown in the middle had my brother and I jumping up and down all over the place. The end to this was strange as Jay was singing lyrics from Main Vein and then back to Love Fool. Still, it sounded great.

Time Won't Wait - I was a bit disappointed by this as it's a great album track, just didn't seem to work so well live, once again because I believe the volume on the guitar wasn't high enough.

Black Capricorn Day - Another song I wasn't expecting to hear but it sounded really good, Jay sarcastically thanked everyone after for just singing the "HEY!" bits in the chorus.

(Don't) Give Hate A Chance - This was done really well, particularly by the three backing singers.

Virtual Insanity - Not a fan at all of this live as it never works in my opinion, it's just not a very good dance track so I always skip it in concerts. I gave my feet a rest whilst this played!

Alright - Very funky live bass as ever and Jay got two girls with Jamiroquai hats to com up on stage to "serenade" to them in the breakdown later on. They were also extremely drunk but seemed to be enjoying themselves.

ENCORE

Deeper Underground - Extremely rocky and had everybody jumping. They really stretched this out too and I enjoyed a song I am otherwise not too fond of, great way to round the night off.

I think that's all they played anyway. Well done for sticking with me this far. Overall I had a brilliant time - I was in a seated place but I just stood up throughout dancing and screaming throughout. Jay's voice sounded spot on (unlike when we first heard him live this year) and the rest of the band worked well. There were a few times where Jay was going ballistic at the sound people because I don't think he could even hear himself sing and I just wish they'd pumped up the bass and electric guitars up a bit more too.

Great concert though and the 15,000 there gave the band a huge roar as they departed. Next time I'd love to also hear Travelling Without Moving and Starchild. Anyway, now all I need to do is find that version of Dynamite and I'll be very happy. Smile

monisum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 22:02    Reply with quote

Very detailed and brilliant review. Sounds so great. I am looking forward to my concert in Hamburg on Sunday next week Wink
Thanks a lot Very Happy

Zender4Cash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 22:17    Reply with quote

Looks good m8, just because of your great review, im gonna go ahead and take a $7.95 convenience fee PLUS a $3.95 Service fee upside the chin harder than Fyffe takes it from Zender's right hand on Scam.

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 23:03    Reply with quote

great review, funny that jay seems only to choose drunk people to go onstage!

***STONED AGAIN***

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 08:40    Reply with quote

good great review!! Thanks a lot!! somersault

Mouse

Butterfly in June

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:42    Reply with quote

Thanx so much - with every review I read I get more exited for the concert in Düsseldorf next week!!!

beautifunk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 18:00    Reply with quote

I was there
it was an outstanding gig! i was there, front row with my girlfriend vicki, Ezbe, Sarah and Phill, not that Ez saw much she was txting everything that was happening to Jan, and Rob was making fun of her while he was onstage! it was funny Smile

That guy singing seven days was so funny, haha, i loved that, Jay seemed in a really good mood which made for an even better gig i think.

Wish i knew when i was seeing them next!

Dave

MoonShooter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 19:26    Reply with quote

Awesome review! Very Happy

I guess I wasn't imagining the Main Vein thing after all Laughing

jordy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 21:47    Reply with quote

It was a brilliant gig. I am desparate to get hold of a bootleg of it should one become available. Does anybody know how long it usually takes for these kind of things to surface?

Usually I am on Jamirohub but I won't be able to log on for a few months. Has anyone seen anything on there though?

Otherwise i'll just keep trying mtey...

CosmicBear
Officer - not married to CosmicMouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 06:26    Reply with quote

ez told me all about the concert on the weekend. wish i would have been there *sigh*

bootslegs normally appear within a week, so you might be lucky, jordy Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> The Dynamite Tour All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: