jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Frontiers Magazine interviews Jay
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Little H - KSA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 00:40    Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the interview.

How gay is gay ??? And what is gay ???

Being gay, or not being gay doesn't have to have finely defined lines or permanent ones.

As some of you know, I herald from a different way of thinking and norms, the gay debate begins and ends with execution in my neck of the woods. However, I strongly believe that gay couples either males or females should be allowed the basic rights of legal marriage and child adoption.

And 'Sir' JK can be as bad as he wants to be, if he would only appreciate that just as many hetero-(over)-sexual females would enjoy the form clinging apparel just as much as the gay males.

ja, ja, ja, imagine our fountain of creative funk growing up on ABBA !!!

Funk is like an instinct yearning, socio-influences cannot eliminate it !!!

Thank God he made a Jamiroquai fan.

:-))))) h

Jamarcus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 20:37    Reply with quote

Re: Frontiers Magazine interviews Jay
PhilG wrote:
A short interview with Jay from the U.S. Gay Magazine Frontiers

http://www.frontierspublishing.com/agenda/music.html

Tip of the Hat

Jamiroquai’s Jason Kay gets into the groove on Dynamite

By Lawrence Ferber

Handclaps, meaty bass, plucky guitar notes, spacey synth, and a smooth disco beat. Listening to this tune, you’d swear you were in the hottest gay disco in town circa 1975. But you’re actually listening to Dynamite, the irresistible title track of the latest album by Jamiroquai. Fronted by the boyish, giant-hat-wearing Jason Kay, the super funky UK outfit has whipped up flawless funk and dance hits—including “Space Cowboy,” “Alright,” and “Canned Heat”—for over 12 years. Dynamite (Epic) gives the likes of Sylvester and Stevie Wonder a boogie for their money with tracks like “Starchild,” “Don’t Give Hate a Chance,” and “Seven Days in Sunny June.” The album’s first single, “Feels Just Like It Should,” is a dirty little Red Hot Chili Peppers-esque groover. The video features Kay gussied up in very sexy drag.

To discuss the new album, the menace of George W. Bush, and the importance of proper-fitting pumps, I spoke with the pro-gay Kay by phone.

Jay, have you been a fan of ‘70s disco your whole life?

For the bit I can remember, yes. Because it’s a “Studio 54, get down everybody and have a better time than you did before” vibe. But bear in mind I was only 7 years old when the disco thing was in!

Did your parents bring disco into the house when you were a kid?

Not so much. My mum was a singer, and she did a lot of Lena Horne and Dinah Washington–type stuff. But she was a big Beatles fan. She was the 64th Beatles fan-club member, which is quite trippy. But we didn’t live in one of those disco households. The closest I got was ABBA!

I love the title track—total retro gay disco with the echoing layers of female vocals, no less.

Thanks very much. That’s the thing about recording in America—I wanted a different vibe for the track and I think it benefited from that. And with the girls singing together, I like it. It’s a good track.

What clubs did you go to as a teen?

I used to go to [London’s gay club] Heaven quite a bit when I was about 18, 19, because the music was good. It was banging. And we were all pilled-up. Or tripping. Or pilled-up and tripping. Those were the good days.

Was that your first exposure to gay people?

No, not at all. My mum’s a singer, and every hairdresser and guy in the biz was gay. Leonard, a hairdresser, was super camp, which was really great. He used to fluff around [my mum] all day. Funny. But in terms of the gay scene, yeah I suppose it was.

What about these days? And what are your thoughts on gay unions, which are about to become legal out there in the UK?

Well, my stylist is gay. My publicity guy is gay. Where does the list end? People should be allowed to do what they want to do, know what I mean? As long as we get along, that’s the thing. But the bottom line is this—you should be very worried over there in the States. That sort of right-wing Christian thing and your president doesn’t bode well. That’s something you need to watch out for. [Bush] is ruthless. A big thing’s going on, a lot of hypocrisy in regard to the church and homosexuality.

What’s the gayest song on Dynamite?

The gayest sounding song is “Love Blind.”: “All black leather like a disco bitch / five feet nine with your ruby lips.” I mean, you know.

You’ve addressed politics and world issues in your music. How did you do that on Dynamite?

“The World That He Wants.” It’s about those people who want to make a certain world. George Bush is one of those guys. He’s a menace. I’ve written the song about him.

Are you married?

No.

Do the gay boys have a chance?

I’d love to say yes, but I have to say no. The boys have never had their chance. I’m keeping [the women] busy. Think of me as someone separating all the extra luggage for you.

You do seem to have many gay fans, though.

Fantastic. I should wear tighter trousers in the future. I shall wear a slightly tighter fit next time I don those hot pants.

You’re in drag in the “Dynamite” video. You look great!

Yeah! Have you seen the “making of” [on the DualDisc release of the album]? I step out onto Hollywood Boulevard like that and that’s where the trouble really begins! I don’t think my legs look too bad, actually. But I couldn’t believe we had a shoe problem in West Hollywood. We couldn’t find women’s shoes in my size! How the fuck—I’m only an 8 1/2!

Best thread ever

caroli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 14:14    Reply with quote

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jay Kay All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: