jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

LONDON, UK - Lovebox Festival - 23 July 2006 / Reviews
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> The Dynamite Tour
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Anjing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 20:59    Reply with quote

Sam, It's great you have the whole performance of IILIIDI.

Can't wait to see it again Smile

Southern Son

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 21:56    Reply with quote

Lovebox
Hi Jamiroquai fans far and wide, i hope you have recovered from lovebox.

I really enjoyed travelling up to London again and meeting familiar and new faces of the apparent Jamily. I have been away studying, or as charlie from the original italian job said, i was shooting tigers. So i did not really know everyone, but you were all very welcoming.

The set was awesome something a bit different as you always hear the same old songs and SOul eductaion, if i like it i do it and of course black capricorn day, apologise for spelling were a welcome change to cosmic girl.

Finally, i can safely say that you hardcore Jamiroquai fans are crazy all of you, but i love you all.

OldFunker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 22:01    Reply with quote

Hi! New to the site, but I had to post because we (me, my wife and daughter) were at Lovebox and we were just behind you guys at the front. In fact most of my photos have got the back of Cosmic Bear's head in them Very Happy

Great day out and only our second Jamiroquai gig. The first was in Dubai in April (we went specifically for it) and met Little H!

Loved the Lovebox gig and wish we'd connected before so we could have met properly. Another time, perhaps...

Samiroquai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 22:02    Reply with quote

Hi Southern Son, can't remember introducing myself to you but you must have been somewhere in the group of us anyway! I was pretty crap at putting real-names-to-faces-to-online-Jamily-names anyway, except for those people considerate enough to include a self-photo in their avatars!

My photos and video are coming shortly, I'm having to scan my computer at the moment because oddly, after not having been switched on for three days, it seems to have managed to pick up a virus!

Sam

PS - hello and welcome to the forum OldFunker as well. Glad you enjoyed it. The others have been talking about making a Jamily meet an annual event, so here's hoping...

Last edited by Samiroquai on Mon Jul 24, 2006 22:05; edited 1 time in total

freaky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 22:02    Reply with quote

I just got home, and am BEAT!

i will just upload one pic for the most hugable bear bear here.
And no i was not the only one who got some shades!!!
Me and bear went shopping, he got a cool rayban. And i got fashion advice and oakley!

The shoe thing, Jay threw both in the crowd..one front row (guess who caught it!!!) and the other one landed somewhere way back.
And he did dance on his socks...hahaha he even jumped..white socks.

I will upload the rest soon Wink

Last edited by freaky on Wed Jul 26, 2006 20:03; edited 1 time in total

OldFunker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 22:38    Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. Here is one of my better pics (how do you show them in the message?)

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs204&d=06302&f=scan0002.jpg

Last edited by OldFunker on Mon Jul 24, 2006 23:08; edited 2 times in total

Samiroquai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 22:52    Reply with quote

It's a bit complicated at first... you have to use 'Img' tag at the top of the reply screen (just underneath the 'subject' box). Upload your pics to a site so that they're available without having to type in a password (which you have done already), and then paste in the image link with [img] and [/img] on either side. I'm going to have a go now, so we'll see how good my advice is!

Sam

OldFunker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 23:10    Reply with quote

Doesn't seem to be working. Must be doing something wrong. Sorry if the newbie is messing up.

LLCoolJR
Officer & Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 23:13    Reply with quote

Hi all!

Just arrived back home and I will keep it short for now:

It was an amazing and unforgettable night.
Thanks to the band and all the fans for making this possible.

Setlist, atmosphere and afterparty: it was a brilliant combination of these three things on one night.

Will try to put online a longer review later on.

Jeroen.

LLCoolJR
Officer & Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 23:15    Reply with quote

OldFunker wrote:

Doesn't seem to be working. Must be doing something wrong. Sorry if the newbie is messing up.

Sorry, I edited it and now it seems ok.

OldFunker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 23:20    Reply with quote

LLCoolJR - thanks for the edit, even if I don't understand it!

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 23:22    Reply with quote

Back home again as well...

I have just read all your comments here and at funkin! And I can just agree on all your words. Unforgettable, incredible, amazing, the gig, the setlist, the band, Jay, the fans, the jamily, the funkin party... everything was perfect! I am so thankful that I could enjoy this with my lovely jamily!!
I think online life will be much more intense after this weekend!
And yes, we have to do this regularily!! Can't wait to see you all again!!

Much love,
Mouse

2cloud9 biglove 2grouphug 5heartbeat Heart 5heartbeat Heart love2 love5

Review and pics will follow soon... just have to "arrive" here. In my thoughts I am still in London... Rolling Eyes

Jamiroquanna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 23:23    Reply with quote

Wonderful night, buzzing atmosphere, Jay Kay was excellent, cute poncho! Wink Managed to have a little chat with Matt, who is lovely. Waiting for hours was a little tiring, especially in the heat, but someone spotted Derrick, so we all went and said hello. Am sure that put us back on track and we were raring to go!

As for the day: the boys were brilliant, the setlist was excellent, the party was fantastic, our Jamily were undescribable! Very Happy It was so great to see familiar faces and to meet new ones!!! clapping jumpinggreens 2grouphug

The reviews have been pretty much covered by everyone else here. Just want to say that waiting for nearly 12 hours to get into the front row was definately WORTH THE WAIT! Very Happy

I have lost my voice and am a little sunburnt! Wink

The highlight of my day was sniffing, kissing and dancing with Jay's shoe Wink Wink - thanks Bear, you lucky thing!!!! I can honestly say that it didn't smell.... Laughing

Bear, my idea for the shoe: A plant pot (you can grow some basil or carrots in there)! Wink Laughing

Last edited by Jamiroquanna on Mon Jul 24, 2006 23:25; edited 1 time in total

samantha1170
Correspondent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 23:25    Reply with quote

Hi everyone, this appeared at the Jamiroquai Myspace.com website...

Jamiroquai's Personal Messages to Lovebox Audience...

"Let me just say, you were all fantastic! The support was phenomenal and it boosted us all no end. We tried to do some different stuff for you, I hope you enjoyed it, there is plenty more where that came from. There is nothing else to say - except you are all great and that the new jamiroquai single is coming soon and I know you're going to love it" - Love Jay Kay

"I had such a great time! It was nice to play some different tunes, I hope you enjoyed them. The festival was a really nice day out, so much fun stuff going on!" - Matt Johnson

"Thank you all so much for coming, we had a fantastic time doing the gig for you guys, and I look forward to the next one in London. Thanks for all your support over the years. Respect, D" - Derrick McKenzie

"Always great to be back in London, and feeling the support of all the fans old and new. Thank you very much! - Sola Akingbola

"Thanks to everyone for coming. Great to see so many familiar faces in the front row, from fans from all over the world! I hope everyone enjoyed themselves as much as we did" - Rob Harris

"It was great to see so many smiling faces, hope you enjoyed it, especially the new playlist. Thank you for your continuing support, See you soon" - Paul Turner

Source: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=17910772&blogID=147990482

Enjoy Smile Smile Smile

SAMANTHA

Samiroquai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 23:26    Reply with quote

(APOLOGIES before I begin: some of the band-on-stage photos are very blurry - nowhere to put my tripod, and I couldn't use flash because it would've just washed the picture out...)

OK, here goes...

- Getting the coach over from Bristol on Saturday afternoon, just as I got into Wiltshire the heavens opened and southern England finally got that long-awaited storm the farmers had all been praying for. I, on the other hand, was cacking it - this had better have passed by the time I reached London, or my decision to pack neither waterproofs nor indeed anything long-sleeved at all wouldn't look too clever. Fortunately, by the time I got into Victoria (NOT anywhere near Victoria Park!) it was only spitting slightly, and by the time I emerged into the lovely air of Blackheath Common (where my best mate lives, whose flat I stayed in for the weekend) the sun was threatening to poke through all that cloud. A wash, a change of clothes and a mind-numbingly dull Dennis Bergkamp testimonial match (the first at Arsenal's new stadium) on Channel 5 helped pass the time, and then it was down to central Greenwich and onto the Docklands Light Railway, the funnest most enjoyable trainline in the whole wide world, to get the Tube to Bond Street for the Big Jamily Meet...

Sandra got her Jamirotalk.net t-shirt signed by everyone...

Next day I was up as early as 10am (laugh if you like but me getting out of bed before midday only happens on very special ocassions!). I wandered down to the station again and got off at Bethnal Green to walk up to Victoria Park. When I arrived, about 11:30, the queue wasn't half as long as I'd expected (only 100 - 150 people in front of me), but Meike was texting me soon telling me to come to the front. Me being English, and it being a queue, I was hesitant, but she talked me into it. A wait for the barriers to open and then a run for the main stage (with police and security people telling us not to run - why not?!) and the front row was secured for the People's Republic of Jamily.

There followed a lengthy session of sitting, eating, going for a piss and to refill waterbottles, and talking, all whilst watching the crowd get steadily larger and larger behind us, for the next 7 or so hours. After a few hours there was a mass exodus at great speed to the side of the stage. Not sure who spotted Derrick first, but he was very friendly and had a lot of time for everyone. What a nice man.

Needless to say everyone who wasn't part of our group was standing around looking at us like we were crazy, and when we returned to our position was asking us 'what was that about? Who? Who's he?'. Fools.

So, fast forward to 8:30. The sun's getting lower by now, the stage lights are up... and then the big entrance. 35,000 people go wild - all of them BEHIND US!

Jay's poncho was a very nice one, I have to say, and he was kind enough to come and model right in front of myself, Freaky, Rom and Jan:

Some more band pics:

Sadly I couldn't get a decent one of Derrick because he was behind a glass cage - no doubt to stop his energy from exploding all over the audience!

The nicest moment of the gig for me was that for the first few songs, some chap called Stuart decided to come and watch from right in front of where we were standing (almost). Jay was singing 'Space Cowboy' to him and the two of them were smiling at each other a lot. The nice man called Stuart was applauding louder than any of us and seemed really made up to be in the media area. I suppose he must be a really long-standing fan, or something... Wink

On a more serious note (obviously I know who he is REALLY!), it did seem like they're friends again. It was genuinely lovely to watch.

A great gig all round - it would've been nice to have a longer setlist, but the restrictions of playing as part of a festival, and the very very very strict curfew that all events not called Live 8 have to operate to if they take place in a park in London meant only a 90-minute set, and no encore - a shame, but it can't be helped. Other than that, a runout of the new single would have been nice, but the lack of it didn't take anything away from it, especially considering the presence of numbers like 'If I Like It I Do It' and 'Stillness In Time' in place of it!

Sadly, due to Ken Livingston's (the Mayor of London) insistence that London CAN be a 24-hour city without having a 24-hour transport system, and due to this being England and thus things shutting down even earlier than normal on a Sunday night, I got to Islington for David's surprise party only to see a sign at the Tube station telling that the last train back to where I needed to be was leaving in ten minutes - so I had to just turn round and go. It's partly my fault for staying at my mate's flat (Greenwich is absolutely nowhere near central London, for those of you who were asking me where exactly I was staying), but hopefully we can do something next year on a different night of the week to make up for it!

Can I just say it was really genuinely GREAT to meet all you people at last. A little odd to begin with. I found it odd, and I have previous experience of meeting people from the Jamily after getting to know them - even falling in love with one of them - online. So I can only imagine how peculiar it must have felt for everyone else. We have GOT to do that again next summer, even if there's no Jami gig to accompany it. Seriously, we have to - let's start organising now!

A shame the South Americans couldn't be there to liven things up further, though... anyone fancy a Jamily meet in BA around New Year's? Razz

Last but not least, some shoutouts...

Deesh - thankyou SO MUCH for the CD, I'm giving it its first listen now, and it's GREAT! Even fucking better for only $6!

Stephan - look after that shoe, but please make sure it gets some air before you put it into storage - I don't want to think about how sweaty Jay's feet must get with all that performing!

Freaky - thanks for holding my place, and congratulations with the Oakleys!

And a special mention to Jan, who wins the weekend's 'slowest on the uptake' award for this conversation, before we left the Park after the gig, at which point we still thought I WOULD be at the Funkin party, whilst David stood about 10 feet / 3 metres behind her:

Me: 'Well Jan, it was a great weekend. I'll talk to you soon. I'll get your MSN address from Heather, or something...'

Jan: 'Yeah, thanks Sam it was great, see you soon.'

Me: 'Yeah... talk soon online, or something' (WINK WINK)

Jan: 'But Sam... I'll be seeing you again in a few minutes at the party!'

Me (now leaning much closer and lowering my voice): 'Yes I know THAT, but David's standing right behind you...'

Sam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> The Dynamite Tour All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 3 of 28

Jump to: