jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

TOBY SMITH'S MODIFIED RHODES PIANO SUITCASE 88

View previous topic :: View next topic  

High Times

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:09    Reply with quote

TOBY SMITH'S MODIFIED RHODES PIANO SUITCASE 88
hi

i am big fan of Toby Smith , ex keyboards player from english band Jamiroquai.

http://www.geocities.com/chillingtonrecords/tobyR.JPG

i wanted to discuss kind of modification this exactly rhodes piano has (Toby Smith has many different Rhodes pianos in his collection).
As you see there is an additional control panel and a sticker above Rhodes logo.
Also its very interesting what is that rack unit placed on the top of his Hohner Clavinet D6. Toby said that that white pedal is Ibanez autowah
attached to his moog synth.
Look at the pics, ok.

http://www.geocities.com/chillingtonrecords/tobyR2.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/chillingtonrecords/tobyR3.JPG

Space Clav
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:41    Reply with quote

I have no idea what the "control panel" above the Rhodes logo is.

The rack unit on top of the Clavinet looks like an EQ unit... it's hard to tell though as the picture isn't clear enough. EQ is just my guess.

The white pedal is absolutely not an Ibanez Autowah. I'm 99.9% sure it's the Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah Toby was using. Even if it's not that particular model I'm 100% sure it's a Boss pedal of some kind. There are so many "tells"... ie the screw that locks the actual pedal (the one you need to unscrew to replace the battery), the shape of the pedal box, placement and design of the knobs etc.

Ibanez Autowah (not even close)
[picture deleted by Space Clav]

Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah (looks close enough innit?)
[picture deleted by Space Clav]

I think we've nailed the origin of the pedal. I'll post again if I can determine exactly what the rack unit is and if I can find out more about that elusive Rhodes mod.

Edit: Demo of the Boss AW-3... it sounds so lush!!!
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/demos/en/AW-3_sound/demo.html

Last edited by Space Clav on Fri Sep 19, 2008 17:07; edited 2 times in total

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:45    Reply with quote

i don't know absolutelly nothing about this stuff, but i think it's very interesting...and it's great to see you two discussing about it! Very Happy
(i miss toby!!!!!!!! really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

***STONED AGAIN***

Sandriche
Officer & Jamily Coach

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:46    Reply with quote

yes..good to have some experts here..as i always say..u can learn something new here every day Very Happy

Space Clav
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:47    Reply with quote

I'm going to get one of those pedals now. Laughing

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 13:02    Reply with quote

Sandriche wrote:
yes..good to have some experts here..as i always say..u can learn something new here every day Very Happy

yeah!
it embarraseds me when i see a "expert" close to my nick and then i read this stuff!

***STONED AGAIN***

Sandriche
Officer & Jamily Coach

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 13:03    Reply with quote

or BETWEEN two experts LOL Embarassed Very Happy

High Times

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 14:09    Reply with quote

yes it does look like boss pedal... i said its ibanez because of this:

Quote:
Smith uses the Suitcase 88 version of the Fender Rhodes, but complaints from disgruntled roadies meant he had to make certain modifications. "I had to take the bottom bit -- the amplifier -- off, because the roadies got so fed up with carting it around. It was only a glorified stand anyway because I wasn't using it. So now I've got this little box which takes a direct out, including all the vibrato and tone controls, which makes it a lot easier. I also use an Electric Mistress phaser and a wah-wah pedal on the Fender. For the rest of the stuff I use an Ibanez Autowah which gives a great '70s sound. It has an auto filter which produces this wow-wow-wow sort of sound.

And as for that rack unit, it can be a... mixer??? but i also think it reminds EQ unit. Read this:

Quote:
Then I've got delay on the Moog. I have all my keyboards plugged into an in-line mixer, a rackmount thing, so I can mix my own monitor which is important as I've got six instruments on the go a lot of the time." For piano sounds, however, he makes an exception to his anti-digital rule. "Actually, I use a Yamaha P150; it's definitely the best-sounding piano I could find. I ended up using it on the album, too. We wrote Virtual Insanity on it and when we went into the studio to record the song properly I tried it on a Steinway and on a Bechstein, but it just wasn't happening, so I stuck with the Yamaha.

Space Clav
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 16:09    Reply with quote

If he said he was using the Ibanez I guess he did then. But the pedal pictured in your first post is definitely a Boss. Maybe he used that one first and then replaced it with the Ibanez or vice versa.

The rack thingie doesn't resemble a mixer. Unless... it could be a mixer with a built-in EQ qhich would explain those white things looking like EQ sliders. But it sure doesn't look like a 6 channel mixer. Perhaps the mixer is of the traditional type and tucked away where we can't see it. I've tried to find something looking like the one pictured on various places selling vintage gear, but so far no luck.

NickHexum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 16:33    Reply with quote

A person's passion for creating music can never go away.....its something that calls them! I hope in the future that Toby will release some tunes that he has composed fully.....I know he's a kinda private/low key individual, but to hear him sing over some of his chill keyboard sounds would be a real treat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Bandmembers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: