jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

D' Angelo
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Music & Musicians
View previous topic :: View next topic  

almatri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 16:07    Reply with quote

D' Angelo
D'angelo or the soul music's voice...
Seriously, the guy did 2 albums:
Brown Sugar and Voodoo.
Both are classics... Right now he's certainly my favorite artist. Maybe because it doesn't sound forced when he sings, or maybe because he just keeps it real...
Now I seriously hope that everyone have listened his albums. But if you have not, I beg you to listen them, because those albums are just excellent Surprised

deesh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 21:04    Reply with quote

yep, they are great
but he seriously needs to get his act together
go to rehab and get back to making good music.
the soul scene needs him.

deesh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 21:33    Reply with quote

Thought you might dig this info about D'Angelo's new album:

This comes from the Q & A being hosted on Gearslutz.com in which Russell Elevado is answering engineering/production queries.

Russell engineered and mixed Voodoo amongst many other things, (Badu, The Roots, Nikka Costa,Aicia Keys..)

This question was presented by OKP betelgeuse:

Hello Russell,

Thanks for taking the time to talk to us fans!

I'm curious about D'Angelo's new album (James River?) for it's mentioned as an upcoming release in your Discography and there's hardly any word on what to expect (and when to expect it). Could you tell me anything about this project and, more specifically, how you are contributing?

?uestlove mentioned a track on Okayplayer and in interviews named "Died A Thousand Deaths" which is said to be "a psychedelic-soul head trip (...) that comes across as an adventurous combination of Earth, Wind and Fire and The White Album" (c) HARP magazine. Could you tell me more about this song and how you rate it amongst D'Angelo's released work?

Is D'Angelo reinventing himself again for this album, as he did for Voodoo? And how does that translate to your input/output?

And finally, will we hear some of this in 2007?

I hope you are willing and able to talk about this. Again, thanks for all the insightful posts/replies.

and Russell's answer:

hello,

unfortunately, i can't go into too much detail about the new album. i can however, give you a litle background:

we have been working on it (on and off) since 2002. and i don't have any idea when the exact release date is but hopefully this year, the latest 2008. but it has been in progress (slow as that may be). we were in the studio last november doing some o/d's and rough mixes on about 5 new songs that we could play for the label. but besides that, D has not worked on the album for about 2 years or so. we do have plans to head in the studio in may to finish mixes on some live material from the voodoo tour and that's all i can say about the live stuff for now...sorry

i turned him onto hendrix just before we started voodoo (hence the album title) and he just went crazy. it was like a revelation for him. he realized (for the first time) that a lot of his heroes were greatly influenced by hendrix, including prince, sly, george clinton...everyone! and i got him hooked on the beatles as well. so it's opened up a few doors for him.
it will be a different album than voodoo, that much is definite. to me it's leaning more in a rock direction. like funkadelic meets the beatles or something. he hasn't given up his soul roots by any means, but he is growing and exploring a new genre. he's writing quite a bit of music on guitar rather than the keyboard this time as well.

it will have a different sonic quality as well. we'll have to see how it will turn out as the vision has not revealed itself fully yet. his songs are varied and he's gone through much experimentation. my contributions wil be (more than ever) in the old school production techniques and style. but this time it will come from a slightly more rock prespective...slightly. and heavier.

the song you're speaking of is actually called "1000 deaths". and i don't hear the earth, wind, fire influence. it's more like a heavy rock/funk vibe. it would be hard for me to rate as it's every bit of a good D'angelo song than any of his others but it's also different. there's some really nice guitar work from him on that song also.

all the best

almatri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 01:34    Reply with quote

Thanks for that Smile !!!
Even though it's sad to hear that he didn't really work on his album for 2 years (:/), it's nice to know that he didn't cancel it.
I really hope that he will come out with another album. This guy has too much talent, he just can't end his musical career now -____-. I also hope that Questlove will be part of this project, when it comes to good music he can still help Very Happy

On another note, I was listening to chicken grease with my father (fan of D'Angelo since yesterday XD) and I was really impressed by one thing: the rythm in this track.
It's just crazy, it sounds messed up, but in a nice way. And of course D' angelo's vocals... It's not THE track where he's displaying his vocal abilities, but it just comes off so...naturally. Like he didn't have to find a way to sing it, it was just natural for him to do it like this. And that's why he's for me one of the best (or just the best) soul singer for me, because when he sings, it comes straight off his soul.

deesh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 13:35    Reply with quote

almatri wrote:
This guy has too much talent, he just can't end his musical career now -____-. I also hope that Questlove will be part of this project, when it comes to good music he can still help Very Happy

I agree...?uestlove can do wonders within music, but gathering from the posts on his website (?uestlove's - www.okayplayer.com), he has become very frustrated with D'Angelo. Very!

almatri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 23:05    Reply with quote

Damn, bad bad news :/ I understand though. Not working on his own album for 2 years... That's pushing it Confused

deesh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 13:27    Reply with quote

Here's the whole topic discussion incase you are interested:

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=1167515&mesg_id=1167515&page=

n20

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 02:13    Reply with quote

I just hope that theres no crap with relaese dates like the voodoo album (i.e. didn't virgin self the voodoo project for a while ??)

Zsoma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 07:40    Reply with quote

Me too. Just had time to read through the Q&A that Deesh quoted and it's really interesting to see that D is discovering new musical fields although I much prefer his soul vein. He's one of my top heroes ever, I really want him to come up with a groundbreaking record, but seems to me he's lost for ever...Hoping at least Maxwell is coming up with BND this year!

Jana B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 21:14    Reply with quote

I'm listening D'Angelo now...it's so good. I love How Does it Feel and Making Love. Both are beautiful song. I don't know nothing about his hard life. Thanks Deesha and everybody!

Anyway, for people who likes D'Angelo I guess you'll like Anthony Hamilton. I guess he made all American Gangster Soundtrack...just joke, but this music is very good.

Anthony Hamilton - Do you feel Me
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=7ErJKRd7hfQ

Is another one. I can't discovery If this is his name but...
Musiq Soulchild - Love
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=YJS6YWQjuJA

Zsoma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 09:54    Reply with quote

Jana B wrote:

Anyway, for people who likes D'Angelo I guess you'll like Anthony Hamilton. I guess he made all American Gangster Soundtrack...just joke, but this music is very good.

Anthony Hamilton - Do you feel Me
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=7ErJKRd7hfQ

Is another one. I can't discovery If this is his name but...
Musiq Soulchild - Love
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=YJS6YWQjuJA

Those 2 artists are also classic neo soul artists. I've got all albums from Anthony (fav is Coming From Where I'm From) plus his dvd, and each albums from Musiq except Soulstar. Good recommendations!

Maxud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 08:57    Reply with quote

yes hats cool music

i know a link where you can download 3 albums

the third is live at the jazz cafe Wink

KEEP THE FUCK QUIET ABOUT THAT LINK!
THANKS
http://www.zona-musical.com/postt78682.html

tell me if these are ligh years...
dont stop the beat...

n20

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 03:59    Reply with quote

Speaking of D'angelo, i've heard rumors of a posible bootleg called "live in Cirkus" I think it was a bootleg from his tour in Amsterdam???

Does anyone have any idea what i'm on about???? and if you do, is it still avalible

Zsoma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 13:39    Reply with quote

n20 wrote:
Speaking of D'angelo, i've heard rumors of a posible bootleg called "live in Cirkus" I think it was a bootleg from his tour in Amsterdam???

Does anyone have any idea what i'm on about???? and if you do, is it still avalible

http://db.etree.org/lookup_show.php?shows_key=95735

The show was in Sweden. I don't know this one.

n20

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 04:36    Reply with quote

hey your right it was in Sweeden (my bad), I checked out the link you posted but theres nothing in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Music & Musicians All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: