jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

First time you ever heard Jamiroquai? ("DETAIL")
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

SLYM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 22:54    Reply with quote

First time you ever heard Jamiroquai?
Can you remember the first time Jamiroquai graced your ears? If you do, wouldn't it be nice to share some stories? Maybe if there are enough responses I'll share mine.. Smile

CosmicBear
Officer - not married to CosmicMouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 23:00    Reply with quote

yeah, i remember the first time i heard jamiroquai. i don't remember the song though, but that shouldn't be too hard to find out.

it is actually thanks to CosmicMouse that i heard of Jamiroquai. We have known each other for almost 10 years now and used to go out quite a bit together. No, not dating, just hanging out together!!!! Wink

We used to got to that club called the "Jolly Joker". We used to call it "Jolly". Anyway, CosmicMouse and I went there almost every tuesday. (best day for clubbing, because most of the school-kids weren't allowed; schoolnight and all). there we heard a great song and CosmicMouse told me, that the band is called Jamiroquai and that they use all kind of cool instruments in their music and different styles in their music. I bought my first Jamiroquai-album then and have been a fan ever since. somersault

Last edited by CosmicBear on Mon Mar 04, 2002 23:02; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

CosmicBear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 23:01    Reply with quote

Stupid me! i forgot to say the year! it must have been in 1993 or 1994

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 23:28    Reply with quote

Yeah, Bear! I remember that day!!! stoned

My first Jamiroquai-Contact (in 1993!!) was also at the "Jolly" ... it was "Too young to die". The first time I heard it, I was like: "Oh, cool, what's that?" When I asked a guy next to me, which group it was, he supposed: " Ahem, it sounds like Steve Wonder..." LOL

Everytime I heard it at this club, I jumped on the dancefloor and boogied all along, always wondering that they are playing "Stevie Wonder" at the "Jolly"... strange!!! Razz

The same time I have read in some magazines about this new Band called "Jamiroquai" with its very talented frontman. I thought that I willl have to go and check this EOPE-Album some day... (I remember being fascinated about the buffaloman and the puristic design of the cover!!)

It took some months to realize that my favorite song was from that band.

After buying their debut-album I became a big fan. I finally discovered the music, the sound, the feeling I have always been looking for.

It was like finding the love of your live. love2 I knew that I would never ever stop adoring this music. biglove

CosmicMouse

Last edited by CosmicMouse on Sun Apr 02, 2006 08:37; edited 2 times in total

SLYM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 22:29    Reply with quote

I'll share my experience:

One night in the summer of 1997 (Yes I know I'm kinda late but when Emergency On Planet Earth came out I was like 8 years old so please forgive me!). Anyway, my bro and I were driving down a highway in Chicago in his jeep and he decided to turn his CD player on. What CD could it be? Travelling Without Moving. Cosmic Girl played first and became the first Jamiroquai track I ever listened to. I ended up doing that same thing with a few other people I know. I let my friend listen to Cosmic Girl first and after hearing it she also enjoyed Jamiroquai. I bought her A Funk Odyssey for her birthday and she thought it was great. :D

Okay back to the story,

Just imagining us driving downtown on a beautiful summer night listening to Jamiroquai is a great feeling :oops:

After that I became hooked, and now own every Album released, and pick up as many singles as I can find.

I really should thank my brother.. LOL

Little H

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 22:20    Reply with quote

my first time
I remember the first time I heard Jamiroquai. I had just started working in a record shop when I was told to put these albums out on the shelf. The cover was really eye catching and I decided to play it at the first oppotunity. That afternoon the whole shop was funking and I bought my copy of emergency on planet earth that day, and haven't looked back since.

sunrayvibe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 09:26    Reply with quote

Incredible!
I just cannot remember which song of Jami I heard first! Shocked
Is not this a shame!

My husband Comfort the Poor Boy offered me ROTSC when it was released (so should be 1994)and I liked the style and the voice. I then bought EOPE.
What hooked me was JK's voice because it sounded so much like .... Stevie Wonder! I really loved S.Wonder's double album "Songs in the key of life" (that was back in the late 70's or early 80's).

How weird. Most people find it unproper to relate Jamiroquai to S.wonder but this is the very reason why I got to Jamiroquai, at the beginning at least. What a better compliment there could be?

Yes CosmicMouse, the way JK sings on "Too young to die" is so Wonder-like... and so GOOD!

Anyway, I kept on buying the albums each time one was released, but without being so obsessed about it. The Jami bug Mr. Green bit me only in September 2001 and after experiencing Jam live at the Berlin in Oct2001.
sunny

Funktion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 22:41    Reply with quote

ahhhhhhhh...el 96
yo conovi un poco tarde a jamiroquai, la verdad es que fue en el tercer disco, Travelling without moving, ahi me gusto y ahora tengo todos sus discos y lo que puedo conseguir de ellos

a mi parecer en todo caso the best disc of Jamiroquai is:

the return of the space Cowboy, simplemente genial

el año??????
bueno los conoci el 96´

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 23:30    Reply with quote

Hi Funktion!
Could you please so nice and translate this in english (or german, or french)??? I can't understand it and I am so curious about your little story!!! Rolling Eyes

Welcome to jamirotalk - have fun and keep up the good work on your own website - I just checked it out! It's cool!!! Cool

Cosmic greetings,
Meike

Last edited by CosmicMouse on Tue Mar 12, 2002 07:40; edited 2 times in total

Funktion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 01:01    Reply with quote

ohhh, i don´t speak english, but i will try to translate ok?

i meet Jamiroquai in 1996, with the song Alright. ehhhh, i don´t know, i have now all her discography, and i like so much...

in 1997, Jamiroquai come to Chile, specifically, to the monumental stadium, was great...

well, sorry for my english
8)

thank for saw my site....

CosmicBear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:49    Reply with quote

don't worry funktion, most of the people here know english only as a second language. i think, you are doing a pretty good job with yours! Very Happy

anyway, i like to think, we are all connected by something more important than languages - the great music of jamiroquai! Very Happy

fiske

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 20:01    Reply with quote

back in 97 virtual insanity was just a good song that was played on the radio in the evening (didnt have cable at the time) then i saw virtual insanity on david letterman and the image of the guy in the cool hat was etched in my mind then a few years later i saw the very end of virtual insanity on pop up video remembered the song found out it was by jamiroquai using napster got a bunch of songs bought some albums and began my search for the letterman performance video (which i finally found after 2 years
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

davina

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 04:44    Reply with quote

interesting stories here! if you're talking about the very very first time i heard them, then i can't really remember. i'll explain... the first song i heard was too young to die, but i can't exactly remember where or when i first heard it... i heard it a few times before but the memory was so vague that whenever i heard it, i got a sort of deja vu feeling. and i SWORE to god that it was an old stevie wonder song! (cozmicmouse u know what i mean :P) so a few years ago, i was watching a bit of a jami video special on tv, and then i saw this guy in colorful clothes jumping around giant tubes and singing 'doo-doo-doo-doo...' and i was like 'HEy, this group is doing a cover version of a stevie wonder song!' so i was still left mystified about the origins of the song.

i can't remember if that video incident happened b4 or after virtual insanity took over the airwaves in '96/'97. but i remember having difficulty pronouncing the name when i first heard it! i thought VI was an interesting song, and then cosmic girl came out, and my sister loved that song to bits, so i got her the TWM cassette for her Xmas pressie.

i borrowed the album from her for a listen one day and i didn't like it very much! i was such a silly little girl back then! :P

fast forward about 2 years later to mid/late 1999, and i saw the canned heat video 4 the first time. i thought it was a good song.

then soon after that, my friend and i passed this sale in a music store... i didn't intend to buy anything that day, but this store was never on sale b4 so i was damn excited! i ran in and skimmed thru the racks... synkronized was in a front row... i thought about 'canned heat' so i just grabbed it together with fatboy slim's u've come a long way baby album. i tested both albums out at the counter and decided to buy them on the spot! and i had to borrow my friends money! synkronized was initially difficult to like and it took a long time to grow on me, but it did eventually and soon it was the ONLY cd i was playing all day long!

and about 'too young to die'... a couple of months later i went back to the store to check out EOPE... and i listened to it and then i heard a song that had 'doo-doo-doo-doo' and i was like SHIT THIS IS THE SONG! so my friend bought the cd for my b'day. it took a really long while for me to convince myself that it was an original Jamiroquai song and NOT a Wonder cover. i eventually had to force myself to come to terms with the fact that it was indeed the true work of jamiroquai.

and then that was when i realized that jamiroquai was one of the best bands that ever lived!

sorry, the question was when i first heard of jamiroquai, and NOT how i became a fan! sorry, one thing just lead to another and whoops! :P well that's my story anyway.

Funktion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 00:14    Reply with quote

thank you Cosmic bear,

Ezbe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 01:33    Reply with quote

Right, first time I heard Jamiroquai -

I don't remember exactly, but I know it would have been on Kiss 100FM (the only decent London radio station at the time) cos they were one of the first radio stations to play Jamiroquai. I know I heard WYGL, probably thought it was cool but that was it (I was 14, what would I have known?!!). I liked a few Acid Jazz bands at that time, like BNH and Incognito.

A little later on I saw Jamiroquai on a London-based show called "01 for London". I will swear to this day, I thought it was a woman singing with them!! I, like a few I've read in the past, was surprised to find that not only was it a man, it was a white man. I think that was when they stuck in my head, like "Hmm, this band seem cool..."!

But when I caught the actual bug? I remember this moment. It was late one night, I was in bed and for once I had the radio on to send me to sleep rather than the TV. TYTD had been getting some radio airplay, and I really liked it. It came on, and I jumped out of bed and began to dance! Now, my mum slept in the room below me, so for me to get out of bed and risk her moaning cos she'd hear me, that was important! I just had to do it. Ever since then I've been a complete Jamiroquai Obsessive! I took loads of stick at school for it (cos everyone thought JK was a freak in a furry hat, even then!) but I couldn't get them out of my head. I remember buying EOPE too, and putting it on my bed, and just looking at it for ages. Reading the sleeve from end to end, staring at the pictures. Then I played the music... love5

And that's how it's been ever since. The signature says it all!

Ezbe
XXXX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiro-Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: