jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

First time you ever heard Jamiroquai? ("DETAIL")
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

jameerica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 20:42    Reply with quote

steffenfunk wrote:
(and Jamee...im convinced 1 day that Jay's gonna rip off his hat 2 reveal a hairdo like Grace Jones....think about it...u never see 'em in the same room do ya?!) Laughing

LOL LOL LOL
true!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

euges

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 05:15    Reply with quote

Ok, here I go.

Mid 90's, I don't know, maybe 1996, I was 15-16 years old. There was this radio station I loved, Radioactivo (sadly, now extinct). It was mainly rock, grunge and alternative music during daytime, I was a grungie girl then. But at nights, it changed a bit, more styles of music. I've always been a night owl and I enjoyed discovering music.

Those days I didn't have internet or an easy way to download the songs I liked, and of course, money to buy albums. So I used to record the songs from the radio into a cassette, hahaha. I recorded a strange tune, different from the rest of the station's songs, it took me a year or two to know the name, but I listened to it very often. It was Blow your mind. And then it was Space Cowboy. Months later I heard the band's name: JAMIROQUAI. I became a fan even though I didn't own the cds. It was the smoothest and most relaxing music I've heard. I could dance and sing to it for hours. And besides, an extra touch: it was sexy music. Many reasons to fall for it. Then I met the band in some magazines, I can't deny I fell in love with Jay, well, who didn't?

Later, in 99 when I finished high school and started college, my boyfriend at those times went to the UK to spend 6 months with his family there. When he came back, he brought me Travelling Without Moving (we had already broken up, I had a new boyfriend!). Then I got the rests of the records by myself and here I am today.

And... I just love Jamiroquai.

Deja

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:04    Reply with quote

steffenfunk wrote:
haha...u girls...Yeah Vere...i used to do a work placement at a hospital radio station & I always used 2 insist on signing off with a Jamiroquai tune.Now bearing in mind that this station broadcast to wards such as the 'old peoples' ward, (cant think of a proper word 4 it!),i 'boo boo'-ed big time the once & spun 'Too Young To Die'...haha....needless to say...it didn't go down too well with my bosses at the time....(and Jamee...im convinced 1 day that Jay's gonna rip off his hat 2 reveal a hairdo like Grace Jones....think about it...u never see 'em in the same room do ya?!) Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing need to say your Bosses didn't understand a note of good music!

Wink
Vere

steffenfunk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:16    Reply with quote

too right Vere....if they had their way,i wudve been playing nothing to the oldies but boring wartime songs... Laughing

Deja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:16    Reply with quote

OMG! I can immagine how fast people used to get out of that hospital!!
wartimes songs it remind me of Rita Haywort dunno why Laughing

sorry x the Ot ppl!

Vere

Guly from Argentina

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 14:48    Reply with quote

1999, in my earlies 14...I watched the videoclip of "King For A Day", and It was love at first...heard? hahaha.

Then a friend of mine told me: "Hey, Guly. I´ve found an excellent group called Jamiroquai!!!"

And I said: "Oh, yes...the one who play "King For A Day"

And he said: "Yes! I´ve got the Synkronized cassette, do you want it?"

And I said: "Ok, give it to me...."

At first, I´ve only looked for "King For A Day" track, ´cause I love it. I just listened this track. But after few days, I´ve started to hear the complete album, and...wow...I loved the whole album, and I loved the band!

steveflanuk

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 15:21    Reply with quote

Can't remember the exact year, but they played "Too Young To Die" live on British television, and I thought the song was brilliant - so I assume it was around the time that it was released as a single.

DiscoStu

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 04:18    Reply with quote

1996... my uncle had bought TWM and I recognized Virtual Insanity (I had heard it on the radio or tv). I had to listen to more of that stuff! Then it all went downhill from there. First TWM, then EOPE, then TROTSC... no need to explain anymore.

mr.az

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 19:40    Reply with quote

ok, now i will tell how i come into the jamily and jamiroquai at the same time...did all remember the old jamiroquai site?i was part of the old forum ever since Laughing Laughing Laughing the same nick, EVEN Wink now i've added a big Z at the end just to make it more ''special'' Cool ...well, that old forum helps me alot, i must recognize the first time EVER was a night alone and i was doing zapping lookin' for a car show(hehe)but at that hour-around 3 am-there's no more cars on tv...so i put MUSIC21 Cool and i've found miself watching a jamiroquai special with all the info of the band and all the music videos till that time(was 1997, im really really sure), well, in that time i was lookin'miself, i was trying to find who i was...yeah, and jamiroquai was part of who im now Wink
i will NEVER never forget that i was listening while i was drawing some cars the songs when you gonna learn, blow your mind(is one of the first videos i can remember now...)and then i see on tv my fantasy(a sexual and a special fantasy...is hard to say why)I'VE FOUND COSMIC GIRL¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
i never forget, the first time i see the video i cant believe what my eyes were watching...i was like in paradise listening that catchy funk song and watching the cars doing all i was wanted to do ON TV¡¡¡¡¡¡
in fact, i never forget since that time many fantasies i have with girls(yeah, is very related in this point)are with me driving a lamborghini diablo like the one jay drives in a mountain road and the girl is on the passenger seat...i will not tell more, just i can say that always we end in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by mountains and nature...that's why i discover the band, if i was never bored in the past midnight trying to find some cool stuff on tv, i been never become a jamiroquai fan¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

even more funny, i forget the band for a while, i dont know why, maybe in that time i have prejudice about the music style, i dont know why...well, after the big crisis we have in 2001, in 2002 i've found miself AGAIN watching love fool and corner of the earth at muchmusic and i never forget when i read a message on tv about the love fool video of a girl who say''thanks for put jamiroquai on tv, we love you jay'' or something like that... Laughing Laughing Laughing
well, after that i found finally the net and the first video EVER i've downloaded was''cosmic girl''...that version with the mtv logo Laughing
the time go by, some day i dont know how i've found miself on the jamiroquai old site-the one with the funk oddisey art-and i never forget when i finally log in Razz
then i start to post messages about the videos, then the songs, then i discover more, then i've found this site...well, and a few year later i have all the albums(except high times), i've found finally all the versions of the cosmic girl video i want without tags(all the videos too), and i've listen so many very good songs by the band that i cant even believe it...in some way, this band was part of my own aknowledge, i've found miself during the last years listening many tracks, so i cant live without listen a few songs some days, dance when i can, i really wonder why i dont do all of this before...must be the destiny Wink

so, to me, discover jamiroquai finally was a way to found me, before i was lost trying to know who im and then, looks like the band call me in some ways and when the calls come, you must listen Wink
now i had all the videos, a few live tracks, a few remixs, a few pics, many info about the car passion jay have, i've made a lot of friends with the band...so, god bless jamiroquai Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
they really help me in a part of my life when i was lost, and now they're part of me Wink

AFO=AUTOMATON

Lups_Jones

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 23:23    Reply with quote

euges wrote:
There was this radio station I loved, Radioactivo (sadly, now extinct).

Ahh Radioactivo... such a great radio station... so sad its gone!! Crying or Very sad

I guess that Radioactivo was the first radio station to play Jamiroquai here in Mex ... then Alfa Radio with the mix of Space Cowboy... (which was the first contact I had with the band...)

Guly from Argentina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 22:55    Reply with quote

Mmm..I remember that It was in 1999. I saw the "King For A Day" video on a TV Show...And I fall in love with the band.

-->JamiroJay<--

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 18:19    Reply with quote

I first noticed Jamiroquai in 2005 when FJLIS was released and the video was on heavy rotation on mtv and viva.
Have to confess that I was not that interested first, but this song and its video made me being aware of Jamiroquai Wink
When I think of the band, that song is almost the first one, which comes into my mind.

ElTouffoDrum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 19:09    Reply with quote

I discovered it only in 2013..

My grand sister (born in 87, i was born in 97) was teenager at the 00' and like all teen of this year, there was Jamiroquai, Modjo, Stardust, etc.. And she got a strange goodies that we never (re)found : A pic of Jay with the title "Jamiroquai" on a glasses frame.

I remember dance when i was very very young on Canned Heat at a Christmas Family repast... Laughing But i never knew what was Jamiroquai...

Since the 11 of March in 2013 : All the France is under snow, i came back home after made the fool in the snow with friends, and when i take a bath to heat myself and i though "Hey, Jamiroquai is a name i've heard sometimes in my life, go Spotify to listen to this".... So basic :p I listen to Too Young To Die and then... : "OMG THAT SOUND, THAT VOICE ! So 90', i like it !". I listened to Cosmic Girl and Virtual Insanity and i liked a lot the sound.
Then i listened to a best of, and with Canned Heat, Alright, Love Foolosophy i said : Damn, I know that song ! I heard it sometime in my life !

Since that moment, i listened to all the album, and i never stopped. Smile

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 19:31    Reply with quote

I read the beginning from CosmicMouse -saying she was told it was Stevie Wonder playing in her club back in '94! And I remember the comparison of JK to Stevie Wonder.

I never really thought much about JK sounding like Stevie, but the first 2 albums really do. I don't know anybody here who compares him to Stevie though! And as Stevie's music got kinda boring, Jamiroquai got more interesting!

(can I say that?)

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 20:13    Reply with quote

I first heard Jamiroquai from the movie Napoleon Dynamite. God bless that movie. Laughing I thought the singer was a lady at first. Then I found out it was a british dude and my entire reality was turned upside down. Youtube was also a great resource to listen to the other music.

Also, I thought a lot of the songs sounded the same at first. I also listened to the albums backward from newest to oldest. I considered the earlier albums to sound much more experimental and radical in their sound. I believe I had a preference for the newer material and then my tastes changed as I listened more until the earlier albums became my favorite.

To me the only song that reminded me of Stevie Wonder was Too Young To Die. I mean that really sounds like it could be Stevie :p.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiro-Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: