jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

US Fans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Notjustbonez

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 16:14    Reply with quote

Drake's Canadian... he'd still be there... Degrassi star turned mediocre rapper... sorry... from all Canadians...

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 20:18    Reply with quote

Funk Fiction -I do think it could be a case of bad Karma.
I wonder if Stu had stayed what would have been.

As for Drake, (sucks) and Rihanna, I don't think there's an impact.
The music scene has just changed.

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 21:52    Reply with quote

Funk Fiction wrote:
Apparently Jamiroquai lost their US post-TWM steam because their next album took too long to come out. Therefore, I wonder if Jay didn't scrap Symphonized and released it in 98, would that have a had large impact on the music industry on a US and even global scale?

If Jay didn't kick Stu out, would we not be contaminated with Drakes and Rihannas? Would the US have more open and sophisticated taste on the mainstream level? Either way I guess it's very sad to see how much influence MTV has and people cannot seek out or judge music they truly like instead of being a drone robot.

I definitely think Symph would've been equally successful if not more so compared to Synk. From what I've read & understand, after the successful release of the Canned Heat single, a lot of people were turned off by the rest of the material & the low album sales reflect that. According to wikipedia (I know, not a super legit source) TWM has basically sold 11.5 units worldwide. In this Billboard article from Aug 25, 2001, the sales estimates for TWM are 8 mil, compared to Synk's 3 mil. That's a massive drop off in sales, and JK fully expresses his disappointment toward Synk in that interview.

I'm not sure about the intended release date of Symph, but if it had been finished up and released say 3-4 months after Deeper hit the airwaves, the momentum would have definitely still been strong. If you listen to those Symph outtakes on youtube, the music has a real sense of fun & exuberance, and it feels like a natural extension of the vibes that were on TWM. In stark contrast to the cool vibes of the previous album, Synk has a really hard, angry, and less organic sound. I guess the public wasn't really into that?

One more point I'd like to make, is that artists usually have to deal with the pressure of avoiding the sophomore slump. Jamiroquai handled that problem adequately with ROTSC. The thing is, TWM was like the first release all over again. It was essentially their worldwide debut, so in that sense, the 4th album was the sophomore release for their worldwide audience. It was the make it or break it album as far as worldwide popularity is concerned, especially in the US market. Synk floundered, however, and Jamiroquai didn't really reach that wider market until AFO, but by that point the US wasn't interested, especially considering the album was released on 9/11. Talk about bad timing. Or karma. Whichever.

Notjustbonez

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 22:41    Reply with quote

But think about the video for Virtual Insanity. That sold the album, hands down.

Yes, 9/11 screwed up a bunch of album releases. Not just Jamiroquai.

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 23:51    Reply with quote

Wow! Great thoughts Funkyvibe.

And yes, Notbonez, "Virtual Insanity" may've sold TWM.
But definitely "Canned Heat" would've sold Synkronized too. We just didn't see it (U.S.).
(or maybe the fans stopped watching MTV!)

FunkEducation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 00:02    Reply with quote

FunkyVibes wrote:
According to wikipedia (I know, not a super legit source) TWM has basically sold 11.5 units worldwide. In this Billboard article from Aug 25, 2001, the sales estimates for TWM are 8 mil, compared to Synk's 3 mil. That's a massive drop off in sales, and JK fully expresses his disappointment toward Synk in that interview.

Reason=Zender

Notjustbonez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 02:19    Reply with quote

Grammy... video... I mean seriously, the video sold that album. Synkronized went downhill because of delay and A Funk Odyssey had less tracks written by Tony. Also, the test pressing of AFO was denied, so there must have been a delay on AFO just like there was with SYNK.

Also, SYNK bad mouthed Zender, and bad mouthing anyone usually doesn't get great reviews (even though a lot of people like King For A Day).

But delays kill it. When Jamiroquai announced another album 14 years ago or whatever it was (2008? Feels like forever though) saying that it would be out "next year", people stopped waiting and gave up hope. Repeat for 2009 and 2010...

Personal Example: Metroid Prime 3 for the Wii. I was super pumped. Supposed to be released in March. Didn't come out. I was pissed. Then it was August. Didn't come out. Then they had a more specified date. Didn't come out until a week later cause of "delay." To this day, I have not bought Metroid Prime 3. People want instant gratification, and when they don't get it, they move on.

FunkEducation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 06:13    Reply with quote

You know what happens, Stuart Zender was not the usual bass player, I mean, he wasn't just in the band playing bass! He produced and wrote a big part of the first three albums. On the other side, Stuart Zender was a bass player who had a fan base himself (thing that most bass players does not have) and that was a huge impact for Jamiroquai in '98, and today, I believe Jay Kay admits that (why he wrote a song like King For A Day huh?)!

Most people were expecting an album from the same line of TWM and it was not what was released. You can hear some bits of the "Zenderized" album in that video of Jay scatting at the studio, and OH MY GOD that's hard Funk and Jazz! I know it could have been a success!!! The sales from one album to another let everybody see how much important was Stu for Jamiroquai.

Well, the case is that it happened 13 years ago, and Jamiroquai are now promoting "Rock Dust Light Star" worldwide. And the band is actually having the behavior and the treat of a "senior" band. Not anymore MTVesque videos of Jay dancing or things like that! Now we are seeing a more "mature" band, its members are all 40+ years, I can imagine how this band will look in another 10 years when they get all in their 50's! Maybe back to Jazz and other type of arrangements? We will have to wait and see!

ohhh long post! haha

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 15:26    Reply with quote

@ Notjustbonez wrote:
Quote:
A Funk Odyssey had less tracks written by Tony.

- Tony=Toby?

Notjustbonez wrote:
Quote:
People want instant gratification, and when they don't get it, they move on.

So true, and so funny!

FunkEducation wrote:
Quote:
Stuart Zender was a bass player who had a fan base himself (thing that most bass players does not have) and that was a huge impact for Jamiroquai in '98, and today

Definitely Stu had (has) something special, more than the average bass player. Would really like to see him hit it really big.
Have to admit, didn't know Stu or the band's faces back then. But really, didn't know Jay's face back then. Except in one interview.

It's kind of like a divorced marriage. It won't work again.
And I really don't like "King for a Day".

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 16:02    Reply with quote

Let's just ask
"Is there going to be a U.S. release of RDLS?"

What about a U.S. tour?

synkronized

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 04:04    Reply with quote

It doesn't look too promising for a U.S. tour. There has been no album release here yet, and based on the current state of the U.S. music industry and the lackluster marketing so far, it probably wouldn't sell very well anyway. So far, after one date in Chile on 29 April it's back to Europe in July. Our best bet would be sometime between those dates I guess.

JamiroNuts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 22:48    Reply with quote

Jamiroquai will never make it big in the US, their style simply doesn't fit the American mainstream market and Americans aren't usually very open to what comes from other countries.

But I bet Jamiroquai can still get a few venues full across the US. Very Happy

Tiffinypie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 23:03    Reply with quote

It will happen here dammit Confused ! Can't do a new album tour with out coming to the US. Got New York , Chicago, Atlanta, Los Angeles. I will travel !!!! They sold out shows here 5 years ago . So I know they will do well here. They will sell if they got good promoters. And judging by the release of RDLS...well Rolling Eyes wish them luck.

Sandriche
Officer & Jamily Coach

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 00:20    Reply with quote

I believe that the only problem they have is to actually find a promoter /organiser who trusts to get the concert hall full...I am surprised nobody seems to be up for it yet...there are soooo many people in america...all those big cities...if they can come over to australia to perform ( including covering flights costs accomodation etc) why is it so difficult to come to america???

the MARKET seems to be nearly everywhere the same these days.

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 14:57    Reply with quote

First they need to just release it in the U.S.
Then I think they have to get the name "Jamiroquai" out there.
And not just on the radio. Maybe the evening shows.
Jimmy Fallon, Chelsea Lately, Conan O'Brien, SNL, Glee...

I'm with ya Tiffany. I will travel (to Chicago.)
(my good friend is moving out there next week!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: