jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Negative critics about the new stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 02:40    Reply with quote

alyd
Quote:
I'm hungry

Laughing Laughing Laughing

OMG Space Clav is a little long winded! I could only skim! But I swear, I had Paella this weekend at a Spanish restaurant, and it was horrible!!!(We sent it back)!

I think the problem is that the people/music fans here can probably all appreciate different types of music. They just don't want "Jamiroquai" playing something other than their favorite genre.

Question - So tell me, what is their single genre? You can't name it.
It is variable. They've sort of touched on every one. And you can't say just because EOPE and ROSC are the early ones that they are the style of music Jamiroquai must follow.

I watched the Stillness In Time video today. They were just boys (except Derrick. He still looked like a man!) Young artists.

I think the jazz came easy in the early days since Jay's was brought up on it (him mom). He has logically ventured out, and this is the evolution. Also the musicians he now plays with probably play key parts in the current style of music.

alyd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 07:47    Reply with quote

Did people get upset at the reggae thing on Travelling Without Moving? If that came out now I'd certainly be very worried - always thought that was Jay being a bit of a wannabe, singing in an accent, still makes me cringe a bit Cool

As I've said, I don't think this new LP is any kind of radical departure and that is probably the problem. Like I say I reckon he wants to break some fundamentally different ground, stuff that could not conceivably carry the Jamiroquai name. RDLS is not that Smile

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 17:36    Reply with quote

Alyd -wow! So you think they aren't shocking enough in their change?
That they aren't breaking some new ground and this stuff kinda sounds the same?

LOL Maybe. Question I agree that they've always had different stuff with each album.
And Heck, BDC was very Rock!

I think the 4 RDLS songs so far are all different from each other, regardless if they are different from their earlier music. I'm not sure if the 'releases/leaks' are doing them justice here on the fansites for whatever reason! I think the average music fan will see the variety and skill in the JMQ album more than the fans! Laughing

I like the new stuff, I like the old stuff.

robotscantadlib

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 21:10    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:

And Heck, BDC was very Rock!

Yeah, and it was god-awful. Not to say rock is awful, just saying that aint a great track by the band. I almost never listen to 'Drifting Along' for the same reasons Alyd mentioned.

Last edited by robotscantadlib on Wed Oct 06, 2010 21:11; edited 1 time in total

ophone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 21:11    Reply with quote

I don't understand why Jamiroquai and especially JK don't stay loyal to themselves.

They try to change into some obscure directions almost nobody understands, instead of sticking to the styles they perform and know best:
Acid Jazz, Funk and Disco with a heavy and elaborate bass and a nice brass background!!!

Not that I totally dislike the new tunes, but when I listened the first time to these tunes, the so-called "Wow effect" was missing.

Nonetheless I'm looking forward to hear the album RDLS entirely the first time.

ophone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 21:43    Reply with quote

A little add:

Take for instance WKR:
It's a nice tune, but it doesn't sound like Jamiroquai as we were used to. It sounds more like "French touch" house music.

But there's not the problem, I actually like contemporate French disco music.
The problem is that the 4 tunes we could listen to so far haven't much in common. I'm afraid of ending up with a new JMQ album which will sound like a patchwork of a lot different music styles and no consistency!

robotscantadlib

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 21:47    Reply with quote

ophone wrote:
A little add:

Take for instance WKR:
It's a nice tune, but it doesn't sound like Jamiroquai as we were used to. It sounds more like "French touch" house music.

The problem is that the 4 tunes we could listen to so far haven't much in common. I'm afraid of ending up with a new JMQ album which will sound like a patchwork of a lot different music styles and no consistency!

You mean Dynamite? Laughing

ophone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 22:57    Reply with quote

*shoosh*!!! Wink

iranterres

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 00:03    Reply with quote

robotscantadlib wrote:
ophone wrote:
A little add:

Take for instance WKR:

You mean Dynamite? Laughing

Dynamite was indeed something hard to get together...

You had tracks like electric mistress, hot tequila brown, (don't)give hate a chance wich were full of electronic shit and in the other hand some valuable stuff like starchild and the last recording with a true live feel, Time Won't Wait.

The album was a mess.

kellte2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 01:44    Reply with quote

Dynamite, as a whole, sounded canned and cheesey. The production values on some of the songs just flat out sounded cheap with dated sounding synthesizers and bad backing vocals. Almost every song on the album - with the exception of Time Won't Wait and Seven Days were woefully overproduced. Pro Tools was not the right direction for Jamiroquai.

That being said: if you consider music to be a form of art, an artist generally refuses to become stagnant in their respective field. When you are content with your work and constantly recreate it, you aren't really creating art anymore. You're simply emulating yourself. The band has indicated on many occasions that their music evolves as an art form. Creativity of the individual performers has changed the sound over the life of the band, and in theory this is how it usually operates.

It is great that we can celebrate works from almost 20 years ago, like EOPE and ROTSC, but to Jamiroquai, they aren't content with recreating this work or treading the artisitic waters of the music they create. They want to push the envelope and evolve as artists. As fans, we can either accept that or not, but simply calling for the "old sound" frankly distorts the reality of the situation. If you want quality music from artists who value the creativity they put into performing, then you must accept the fact that the sound has and will continue to evolve. Simply appreciating it for that reason alone is enough for me to have tremendous respect this band.

Jamirowolf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 01:56    Reply with quote

Oh yes...I have to put my two cents as well..get ready for the bitterness of the jamirowolf..

Rob, I respect you, a lot, during a concert you won me but....remember who pays the bills..US!...the fans and the audience, jamiroquai stopped being indie back in 93-ish..

Don't read to our comments, use that time wisely learning from the art of repetition that won us all, Jason Kay copying Johnny Hammond...now as I said, use that time wisely and pop some Crusaders tunes to Mr. Kay will ya? maybe something good will come out of it.

Shoot the moon perhaps? you rocked that guitar man...

teecheedeedee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 05:54    Reply with quote

I guess from a very simple point of view, it's important to remeber that this isn't the same band as the oldschool one. Sure there's Jay, and Derrick and Sola are almost original members, but otherwise the band is made up of different members. Drums and percussion, whilst essential, aren't so much involved in the direction of the music per se.

And Jay never really composed the music (with the exception of singing things to Toby). So what we are left with is a band that really has no reason to resemble the original one. So there is no reason to expect music which is back to the oldschool Jamiroquai, it really is a different band under the same name.

Reminds me of the old philisophical dilema - a ship sails continuously around an island. Whenever part of the ship is damaged, they replace it and throw the old part on the island. Eventually, all the parts are replaced by new ones, and the old ones are thrown away onto the island. One day, somebody goes the island and builds a ship out of all the old parts.

>Which ship is the original one?

freaky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 13:23    Reply with quote

ophone wrote:
I don't understand why Jamiroquai and especially JK don't stay loyal to themselves.

They try to change into some obscure directions almost nobody understands, instead of sticking to the styles they perform and know best:
Acid Jazz, Funk and Disco with a heavy and elaborate bass and a nice brass background!!!

Not that I totally dislike the new tunes, but when I listened the first time to these tunes, the so-called "Wow effect" was missing.

I am just happy they never continued with the "supersonic" vibe.
That track is wicked on its own, but thank god not a whole album.

almatri

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 13:59    Reply with quote

ophone wrote:

How do you know he's not staying loyal to himself ? If Jay Kay didn't care about his music, it wouldn't have taken 5 years for the album to come out.

Seb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 16:44    Reply with quote

Andre: Maybe that's simply the kind of music they are in the mood for right now.

Maybe they are tired of "classic" Funk hits, they done it for a long time, they managed (we're all ok on this point) they want to challenge themselves, to renew, try something different.

We are not decisioning anything here, we are just listeners, so it's up to you to like it and to take it, or to leave the music they are doing nowadays, and they (the band) perfectly knew it and took the risk.

But before taking any "decisions" wouldn't be more clever to wait the 20 of november and listen the full new album ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: