jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

*Rock Dust Light Star - FAN REVIEWS of the new album*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

jayscam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 17:31    Reply with quote

Very Happy Here is a good news !! Thanks a lot Arnhemland ! .... Unfortunately, FNAC said release november 2 !

Diamond_Doc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 17:50    Reply with quote

Seb wrote:
Man, I tried to ask a virgin employee yesterday, but no way, "I can't, release date is 1st november" he told me Razz

Got it in a french Virgin yesterday... Surprising album, but to me, it's too early to speak about it! Anyway, "Hey Floyd" & "Fast Persuader" seem to be the highmights of this album... Paul Turner is just amazing...

funk4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 20:41    Reply with quote

The album is great Cool . It brings positive, REAL music in a music business filled with electro-beats and fake singers. I love the diversity, the "old" yet original sound... but most of all the richness of instruments: trumpets, saxophone, slapp bass, and so on...
I do hope SAFP or TCDT get their own video's cause they are great tracks to visualize.

matutevip

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:38    Reply with quote

What can i say about this, eagerly anticipated album??. I listened to what jay said, long time ago: "Dont worry, you will like it", and faith started growing on me. He was right, i like it, and a lot.
This new album is bright. Has no weak points, all the songs have a special groove. As everyone pointed right, Paul Turner delivers perfectly in this album. His first album with the boys and showed that he is up to the challenge and a lot more. He was allready showing his quality when Jamiroquai released "Runaway".This is a bass led album, and he does his job brilliantly. It is about time for the band to be exorcised from Zender's ghost.
It is wonderfull to hear all the guys playing again, i mean, i love when i hear Derricks hi-hat in Smoke and mirrors, or Sola in "Goodbye to my dancer", the flute in "Two completly different things", Matt's keys in "Blue Skies" or "never gonna be another", and the beautifull guitar riffs that fill the album, Rob made a perfect job again, and yeah he could be a lot funkier, but he is awesome. His job in "Hurtin" and "All Good in the hood (acoustic version)" is simply amazing.
I think that Derricks work also deserves to be emphasize, he is allways great, but in this album, he reached TWM level. In every track you can hear his drums blowing away!. Specially in "Rock dust light star".

The brass is back, and its shining. This is something, that i beleive, that every jamiroquai fan wanted. I think that "Hang it over" is the highest point of the brass section, with that kind of dixie style. Is completly amazing.

Jay's voice, keeps being unique, and also proves that can be a little bit more rough in "hurtin", but keeps that magical touch that makes every song so particular. I think that his voice is more developed in this album, but, still, keeps the freshness of his young voice in the early days of the band. Listen to his vocals in the acoustic version of "All good in the hood", they are great.

To conclude, this album proves the versatility of this band, from the disco souns of "White Knuckle Ride", "she is a fast persuader" or "Thats not the funk", the rocky-funky sounds of "Rock Dust Light Star", the pure Funk of the 70's of "All good in the hood" and "Smoke and Mirrors", the 70's rocky sounds of "Hurtin", the beautifull ballad "Blue Skies", the reggae break in "Hey Floyd", to the oldie fox-trot dixie style of "Hang it over". Jamiroquai shows that is a versatile, virtuous band.

Another thing is that every song sticks in your mind inevitably, the rhythms are catchy, and when you finish listening to the album, you end up singing one of the songs all the time.

Thanks Matt, Sola, Derrick, Rob, Paul, the girls, the entire brass section And of course, Jay. Great, awesome, job.
And as i said before, i think that for the fans this is going to be an awesome time. The band, as i see it, is in its highest level, and we are going to enjoy it!!!!.

Sorry for the long review.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

garyod7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 16:25    Reply with quote

Immense!!
this album is superb!!! i loved stuart zender but paul turner for me personally is light years ahead of stuart or nick - the bass for she's a fast persuader is unreal, i play a bit of bass (far from these guy's class!) and i've been loving paul turner since he joined - here's his first shot at original songs and its out of this world!

fantastic album - didn't take to blue skies right away but a few listens and im really liking it now, songs like hey floyd, smoke and mirrors and all good in the hood especially are brilliant

well done jamiroquai your five years have been well spent so get yourselves to glasgow on tour and i'll be there!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

petra0666

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 16:27    Reply with quote

matutevip wrote:
Another thing is that every song sticks in your mind inevitably, the rhythms are catchy, and when you finish listening to the album, you end up singing one of the songs all the time.

Thanks Matt, Sola, Derrick, Rob, Paul, the girls, the entire brass section And of course, Jay. Great, awesome, job.
And as i said before, i think that for the fans this is going to be an awesome time. The band, as i see it, is in its highest level, and we are going to enjoy it!!!!..

So so so true!
You've said it all!!
And I am having an awesome time... when I am not playing the album I am singing it... all the time! They have brought the vibe back again!! And I am loving it!

Freddie Hg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 17:34    Reply with quote

I've been listening to the album for about a week (a friend burned it for me, but don't worry, I'm waiting for the deluxe copy I ordered from Britain). Gotta say, I'm loving it!

It took some getting used to, but I think that's just because we have such high and specific expectations that can never really be matched.

Even the songs I wasn't initially wild about -- RDLS, Hurtin' and Blue Skies -- have grown on me quite a bit as I listen to them over and over again, and within the context of the whole album. At first I thought the album wasn't quite as good as Dynamite, then it was on par with Dynamite, now I think it's better than Dynamite. Whereas Dynamite had some songs that I have never really liked (Loveblind and Hot Tequila Brown... plus some weird parts of Black Devil Car and Tallulah), this album doesn't really have a comparable weak song. The only complaint is that it's not quite as initially catchy as their other releases... but in time it sinks in very nicely. It's got a more organic sound than we've heard in a while, and just about every song finishes off really nicely... just fantastic brass throughout. Hey Floyd has become a new favorite, and Two Completely Different Things just gets better and better. All Good in the Hood, despite it's somewhat sparse chorus, is really fantastic too. I had problems with Smoke & Mirrors and Lifeline when I first heard them, but now they're really working for me.

And for the first time since Travelling Without Moving, I haven't heard any lyrics that really bother me. The closest they get to that is "for me she was clearly made" in Lifeline. And that's just picky English grammar... and anyway, it has to rhyme, I get it.

Very happy overall. My only other worry is that it's just not going to grab American audiences the way Travelling Without Moving and Sykronized did. I keep hoping for something that will get a lot of radio play over here, but I don't think it'll happen this time around. Who knows though, I'll be curious to see how they promote it over here.

smills

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 21:22    Reply with quote

This album is an absolute joy. I downloaded the leak (and I now have the physical deluxe edition in my hands after purchasing from play.com) and initially thought "WHAT?!" at just about everything. The first shock was the actual production, considerably rough for a funk album. I understood the "live" aspect from the beginning, the recording process focusing on whole band sessions rather than individual input one after the other. This doesn't mean the tracks are live per se, but the recording process is as honest as you can get in the realm of modern recording technique (some of the greatest bands still record in this manner: Radiohead anyone?). Let me just say that the leak is nowhere near as warm or as sharp as the CD is; this I discovered with great joy today. I'd listened to the leak last thursday and then decided to put it off until the 1st came round.

After I got over the initial shock of the title tracks sound, I found myself enjoying it more than the live performances we'd all grown accustom to over the past few months (Paleo, Live with Jools Holland etc.). The rhodes in the left of the stereo field is noisey and full of "off" reverb which serves to create the atmosphere of the "live" sound Jay Kay was so keen to identify. At first I felt the vocals didn't feel a part of the mix, reminding me of Radioheads Bodysnatchers and my initial reaction there. They also sounded rather corrected (I don't get this from any other track on this album) but more and more listens made me more comfortable with the overall tone of Jay's performance. The chorus gets quite flashy with some added processing but generally it sounds more alive than most music these days. I love Rob's fuzzy guitar, a surprisingly rough edge that wouldn't have made it past a demo take with Sony. There is great depth between the backing vocals, the guitars, the rhodes and Jay Kay. If anything, the bass is a slight dissapointment on this particular track and the tracks ending is slightly scattershot.

Many of us were worried that White Knuckle ride would be par for the course for Rock Dust Light Star. Thankfully, it really is the only track of its kind on the album and it does well to stand apart from Jamiroquai's previous disco/house hits. It's certainly darker than Canned Heat or Little L due to a reliance on rock chord structures but the basic synths and popping bass line serve to propel this track into a similar league. Paul Turner provides a rather standard bass pump that could have been a little more interesting but it does the trick for the most part. I was dissapointed that the version on the album is indeed the short single version released a while back but after some thought, the length suits the catchy nature of the track and only serves to increase repeated listening.

The first time you hear those keys and the wailing note of a guitar, you have a suspicion that things can only get better. Smoke and Mirrors is the fist time Jamiroquai have taken their time opening up for a track in quite some time, most of the tracks after following on in this manner . The darker tone set up by White Knuckle Ride continues (and in my opinion is the overall mood for the album) and the sax's(!) make their presence felt. One can't help but be thrown back to the 70's in the most cliched funk way possible; but those beautiful backing vocals help to brighten things up a little. Smoke and Mirrors is the standard that is surpassed by pretty much every other song of a similar vein on the album. The hook "He wants your loving tonight" is irresistable, but the track paves the way for greater things.

All Good In the Hood is the beginning of the truly great stuff. Paul Turner's bass finally pops in a far more satisfying manner and with a significant focus in terms of production. The chorus features some of Sola's subtle yet wonderous percussion techniques (seriously it adds so much to the depth). Jay Kay's vocals are double tracked and played from the left and right, soothing as they climb down the scales into a darker tone. Although the verses are generally brighter in nature, the mood of the entire track continues on from Smoke and Mirrors' dark funk. I have no idea who else it sounds like, but it's all very familiar (in the best way possible). A great track that doesn't explode but maintains the mood much like a statement: "This is what we're doing!"

When I first heard Hurtin' on Youtube I nearly cried. It was a god awful recording but it increased my fears surrounding Jay's vocals. We all know he's lost some of his middle range (evidenced in live performances - although he's lost some upper register he can still hit higher notes easier) but this is the first time we've heard Jay Kay sing in such a manner. Dirty, dry, broken but for some reason it works. The track is a slight dissapointment overall; Paul could have popped around all of Rob's guitar stabs with precision but instead decided that empty space would be far more impressive. NO. Paul you MUST pop at every possible opportunity! Otherwise your fans will cite the Zender and his ceaseless fret humping subtleties. I recently heard what Hurtin' could have sounded like (there's a link to it on the site somewhere) so it leaves something to be desired. I enjoyed Rob's Hendrix style technique but I'm not impressed by the impression of three guitars all at once... it's somewhat dishonest. The track barely morphs until the end and when it does, there is a feeling of relief that things are coming to a close. It's not bad at all - simply my least favourite on the album (I will not skip it on principle, it's still enjoyable).

There's a definite change in production technique on Blue Skies. This might be because it's been mixed by someone else (read the production notes in the album booklet; one Michael H. Brauher) and specifically for single release. Blue Skies is actually a rather good rock ballad. It was as much a poor indicator of what would feature on the album as White Knuckle Ride but on repeated listening it seems to fit, especially with the upbeat Lifeline following in its hopeful wake. It's polished but it would have been better with trumpets rather than strings (ala Live with Jools Holland). It's not as bubble gum pop as some have suggested, it has more in common with Eric Clapton than James Blunt; I appreciate it for its warmth and honest pop hook. Rob's guitar is a little too indulgent but Paul does well to keep the bass interesting (as interesting as a classic rock bass can be really).

Lifeline is a surprise. First time I heard this on the iTunes store as a sample I did cry out "What's this bouncy pop shite that is afflicting me in the brain?" A little unfair considering it's become a firm favourite of mine. As with Blue Skies, Jay Kay and co. somehow avoid comparison with modern pop interpretation and are flung straight back to 60's 70's naivety (in my studious opinion). The guitar is chunky and warm, the sax's are bouncy and Jay sounds calm. The strings during the intro and bridge keep up the dark and urging tone of the album and help to bring release with the cheerful chorus. Great musicianship all round.

Is it the best song on the album? Does it stand next to the classics? Is it an honest to God work of art? Yes. She's a Fast Persuader is youthful Jamiroqui coming at you like breath of fresh 90's air. I didn't know what to make of the chugging guitar riff but it fits with what's left of the album: a progressive rock style instrumentation that is remniscent of Pink Floyd (I wonder if there is some subtle nod to them?) The jazz chords are back with a vengeance and take us off to the moon and back on a sultry, dirty, brothel rocket. Jay's lyrics get as dirty as they can without losing their poetic edge. They've had a mixed reception but I find them direct and very sexy.

Some say that Two Completely Different Things is "old school" Jamiroquai. I couldn't quite agree with that. I can't quite think of any riff or drive on the first two albums that fits. In fact, it's even more vintage and classical than anything on those first two albums - it's simply "old school". It's a kind of romance jazz funk that I couldn't imagine Jay performing in his 20's. Got to love the synths in the right stereo field during the chorus, a classic Jamiroquai and classic acid jazz accompaniment. I believe this is part of what made Jamiroquai's early sound so unique. The horns at the start of the track are exceptionally vintage and Jay's vocals follow a suitably 70's croon that make me want to experience Jay Kay's own fast persuasion techniques.

Here comes the reggae. It's far more matured than Driftin' Along and without an ounce of naivety. Jay finally sounds like he can pull of the reggae vocal in an honest and modest fashion. This track is just so special; Sola's percussion is especially stand out. Rob plays some understated reggae riffs, Paul follows a rather square and simple bass line, while Derrick keeps a steady tempo. I've not mentioned him much I realise; he's just grounded every track in a tight and punchy technique that is often overlooked. Love the chorus on this track.

Never Gonna Be Another is simply beautiful. I absolutely love the rhodes throughout the track, it breaks every so slightly and rises and falls dynamically - another nod to the great production technique here. Rob's guitar is entirely Pink Floyd, all dark and moody, and full of reverb and phaser effect. Again, the double taked vocals come in during the chorus and follow the simple yet effective bass laid down by Paul. The outro is also especially pretty: "Now that you're gone, I think of you." David Gilmour wants his Strat licks back.

And another masterpiece; Hey Floyd sounds like something and I've been both too lazy and unable to identify exactly what that something is. Rock funk is exemplified here, the climbing and falling piano stabs simply calling out to my inner "cool" and urging me to dance in the street, intensely point at strangers all the while mouthing the lyrics that no one else can hear. The dub step makes another appearance with some absolutely brilliant vocals from Jay. This is perhaps the albums finest moment and rather surprising considering the nature of most closing tracks in the Jamiroquai discography; quiet, paced and full of jazz. Somehow, Jamiroquai have sold it to the fans, they can do rock without sounding entirely like something else. To me, this is more of a natural progression from the first three albums than anything that came afterward. It's the dark side of funk, the rock angle. I love this album. It's consistent yet varied unlike anything before it and is perhaps Jamiroquai's most mature attempt at an album ever.

I'm happy that the CD is overall quieter than most and does indeed allow for some exceptional dynamics. Paradoxically you can tell a well compressed album when you can bearly hear it while listening through headphones in the street, and turning it up only serves to hurt your ears due to the sharp contrasts between loud and quiet (simple ear bud headphones are just no good for dynamics if you're out in a noisy environment). Haven't felt that on any new album in a while. This album is better than any first impression can tell. It's familiar but it's still Jamiroquai and it deserves your attention. Let it get on it's knees and persuade you.

9/10

John Doggett

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 22:12    Reply with quote

Congratulations for these brilliant comments, especially to Matutevip and Smils! It was a pleasure to read them...and know that I'm not alone who thinking the same!

Long Live Jamiroquai! Long live beautiful music!

matutevip

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 00:01    Reply with quote

Quote:
Congratulations for these brilliant comments, especially to Matutevip and Smils!

Thanks John!!! I really needed to tell everybody about this absolutely brilliant album!
Listening to it, i felt an unstoppable joy, like the first time my brother put the "Emergency on planet earth" casette on, back in 1993 when i was only 8 years old, immediate and eternal love....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 04:36    Reply with quote

@ Smills Wow. I think I just was thinking "This is good".

(just kidding, don't have the cd yet!)

LittleS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 06:03    Reply with quote

...And finally, the day arrives, and I find myself listening to RDLS in its entirety for the first time. Oh, the excitement! Oh, the anticipation! Very Happy

To be honest, I was frankly worried about the album before it's release. The title track took a bit to grow on me, and while White Knuckle Ride was fairly good (even if it wasn't exactly what I was expecting from this album) what really made alarm bells ring big time was Blue Skies. My head went spinning as I thought "Seriously, guys? Five freaking years and you come up with this crummy ballad? How is this not mainstream?!" Evil or Very Mad

Come on. Some of you must have thought this too, admit it.

However, the optimist in me still made me get the deluxe version. I promised myself I would not skip any song (no, not even Blue Skies) as I pushed play on track one and crossed every one of my fingers -toes included... RDLS went through, my ears still liking the Paleo version better. Oh well. White Knuckle Ride followed, an easier, dancey-coated pill to swallow. It grew on me, I must confess.

And after those two familiar songs I closed my eyes and braced myself, equally excited and scared. What would the next song be like? Another fast-forwardable, or an enjoyable tune?

Of course, what followed was Smoke and Mirrors, which was met with a sigh of relief and a nod of approval. Then All Good in the Hood proceeded to turn the relief into happiness. Reaching She's a Fast Persuader and Two Completely Different things (in a row, no less!) was an overjoying double-whammy. Best moment in the trip. Also, props for Lifeline, which came right before these two, for setting the right mood again.

That was of course due to the fact that it had to be preceeded by Hurtin' and Blue Skies (in a row, no less...) which made, ironically, a good contrast with what followed. Not on account of Hurtin' being a bad tune itself, mind you (no song tops Blue Skies in that respect). It just felt like a fairly hazy experimental moment. And the same applies to Goodbye to my Dancer and Never Gonna Be Another.

Hey Floyd was an excellent way to finish the album, with Angeline and Hang it Over serving as brilliant bonus tracks, much to the liking of Do You Know Where You're Coming From or Time Won't Wait. Nice inclusion of the Paleo version of RDLS. I also celebrate the amazing strings and brass sections. And some people need to drop the we-want-Stu-Zender-back-or-else act. He was all sorts of awesome, we know that, but have you heard Paul Turner on this album? Seriously, if he hasn't proven himself on this album, I don't know what it will take to convince you.

Whoa, this is too long. Time for closing remarks! After the whole trip, I just think... did the band really need to pull another Dynamite scare on us? (I personally LOATHED Feels Just Like it Should and was terrified with that first single.) Even with its not-so-memorable moments, I'm glad it was just a scare after all. Some songs will grow on me with some time, and some others are doomed (guess which one!) but as an album it's fairly cohesive, solid, and true to the sound of the band. People are calling this a TWM2, and they might be right, but all comparisons aside, this is on its own right a very enjoyable album and a remarkable effort from Jay and the guys. I just can't wait for the tour dates! Wink

Last edited by LittleS on Sat Nov 06, 2010 03:07; edited 1 time in total

smills

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:34    Reply with quote

John Doggett wrote:
Congratulations for these brilliant comments, especially to Matutevip and Smils! It was a pleasure to read them...and know that I'm not alone who thinking the same!

Long Live Jamiroquai! Long live beautiful music!

HoneyBee wrote:
@ Smills Wow. I think I just was thinking "This is good".

(just kidding, don't have the cd yet!)

Very Happy

Thank you.

dannyev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 16:46    Reply with quote

After listening to the album solidly for a couple of days since buying it, I feel like contributing my own little review (although it is not as long winded and detailed as some!):

The first thing I must say is that this is a proper band record. For all the publicity that Jay Kay gets and the fact the Jamiroquai is often referred to as him rather than them, Jamiroquai are a band and a brilliant one at that! This record really shines because it has been recorded live and that organic style of recording brings out just how good they all are, led by the fantastic talent of Jay Kay.

I must stress that these ignorant reviews that we get everytime the band release an album - 'they all sound the same' and the like are getting tiresome now. If you're not going to listen properly, then what is the point in reviewing the album?

The main point is that Jamiroquai are back and on top form. Jay's voice is sounding terrific and the return of the brass section on this album is most welcome! Despite the formulaic accusations of the past, it's the consistency but yet variety on this album that pleases me. White Knuckle Ride is a great slice of electro-funk. Hurtin' is a dirty Led Zep-esque track which grows on you. Two Completely Different Things recalls the funk soul in the style of Marvin's What's Goin' On? and sounds beautiful. Blue Skies and Never Gonna Be Another showcase the softer side of Jamiroquai and in particular, Kay as a supreme vocalist and moreover, that the band can do the slower, emotive tracks just as well as the upbeat funky stuff. Oh and as for She's A Fast Persuader - now that is classic Jamiroquai!

Brilliant album by a brilliant band. They are a breath of fresh air and are like no other band these days. Always have been and always will be my favourite band! Long live Jamiroquai!

buffaloman

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 19:08    Reply with quote

I think Paul Turneris getting some recognition for his bass-playing.
Very Happy

Last edited by HoneyBee on Wed Nov 03, 2010 03:08; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: