jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

*Rock Dust Light Star - FAN REVIEWS of the new album*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

*LeeLoo*

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 20:47    Reply with quote

Two days ago I finally got the album and heard it completly 3 times (2 in my headphones, and 1 in the car) and I must confess I'm going to love it. It worth all the time we waited for.

I'm amazed how, after that terrifying prom that haunted me for the last two months all the tracks pasted perfectly when listened the whole album. It has some sort of continuum that puts sense of all: RDLS must be first and Hurtin' 5th... at last is how I feel it.

Also I must take of my hat for the way that band can paste differents genres in an album, even in a song, and make it sound cosistent and just right. All of them are geniuses and listening the work seems that every one of them find their place and make it comfortamble.

Must say that I can find some weak point in the lyrics, not the way they're written but the main theme of these. It have to many of that "baby, baby, baby" stuff. I've never felt very identified with the things Jay's explains in these, for me it's all about "based in real life events" (from his real life) so I've always heard as a passerby. I would preffered more controversy and general worries (war and all that stuff) but still being written right.

The tracklist has my preferences. WNR, AGITH, Lifeline, SAFP, TCDT and HIO makes me put a happy face Very Happy and the rest still in hiatus Confused (I hate TNTFIW Mad ). I can't say it has bads songs, in any case some of them have to grow on me.

Rock, Dust, Light, Start is starting to grown on me and White Knukcle Ride where in my dance album from the first moment I heard it.

The intro of Smoke & Mirrors makes me shivers, that bass, drums and keyboards are awesome, all with that falsetto that looks like a prologue of a black novel.

I was singing All the Good in the Hood from the very first moment I listened it, has a catchy chorus and funky bass.

I' starting to have the trick of Hurtin', it's so hoarse but I like that loser feeling that Jay's distilles from being f*cked off. Blue Skies it's well done and has a chill and cute sound (being a ballad still being a bad note for me).

Lifeline has a vintage rhtym with the brass and I like the way Jay's plays with his voice here.

She's a Fast Persuader it's going to be in my personal Top Ten with Radio and other awesome stuff. I'm longing to have the lyrics and try to translate it, it's going to be a challenge to me. Love the bass and sax' solo, also it has some AFO reminiscence for me (an AFO era's fan is talking). Saying in two word: F*cking awesome. (Strange last minute turn, it's like a censor) Confused

In Two Completely Differents Things Jay's voice sounds more mature and worked and has spark, I love how he sounds here. The brass puts a fancy note in all the melody, is very solid work and flows easily.

I must got the clue in Goodbye To My Dancer, Never Gonna Be Another and Hey, Floyd!. The first because I'm not (I've never been) a reagge fan so for me sounds calm and enthic, it's well done and the riffs are pretty good. The second is slow, reflexive, makes me think in TV dramas Confused . And as someone said before, the third is gonna be echoed in live concerts if the band dare to play it (I repeat the reagge thing).

Angeline sounds pretty old fashioned for me, is funny but dont' make me move or sing; I'm not flashed for this one. It's easy going.

I've heard the rocky intro of Hang it Over with caution until the second 36. From that very moment has 3 awesome minutes of jazzy sound. I really love it in a passionate way, the sax and trumpets, the keys, the tempo that Jay gives to it, it's like a truly smile. I almost cry when he says "and I feel so good". Embarassed After that the guitar and rock comes back to life and breaks the magic. All the whole song it's good but for me the star it's that back no to old but older school style (gonna say 40's?).

I'm not gonna say a thing of That's Not The Funk I Want because for me is a waste of time. Mad

Saying shortly; that album is more the things they wanted and less the things we wanted, but it's really well done and make us remember why we're fans of them. Also, I feel more teamwork here that never before and I thank it, because I like talk about Jamiroquai in plural.

cheebalover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 21:07    Reply with quote

1."Rock Dust Light Star" -nice tune but jay spoiled us with better ones

2."White Knuckle Ride" - meant to a chart topper, but its mediocre

3."Smoke and Mirrors" -amazing, pure quality, masterpiece!

4."Al Good in the Hood" - sounds amazing live!

5."Hurtin'" -booring, repetitive

6."Blue Skies" -after 100 times listennng, i am digging this tune

7."Lifeline" - i simply dont like it!

8."She's a Fast Persuader" -very good track, love it, should have been a single instead of wkr

9."Two Completely Different Things" - amazing old school jamiro vibe tune, whenever jay does something with a latin flavour it turns fantastic!

10."Goodbye to My Dancer" my favourite! i adore this tune, its mindblowing and layback, i play it the most

11."Never Gonna Be Another" very nice but falling, butterfly are still better

12."Hey Floyd" amazing, unpredictable, suprising, funky, love it!!

13."That's Not the Funk I Want" -dont like it...its cheap

"All Good in the Hood" (Acoustic Version) -booring

"Angeline" - a bit naughty, love it, good song

"Hang It Over" - very good

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 03:46    Reply with quote

LeeLoo (love the name btw)
Quote:
Saying shortly; that album is more the things they wanted and less the things we wanted, but it's really well done and make us remember why we're fans of them. Also, I feel more teamwork here that never before and I thank it, because I like talk about Jamiroquai in plural.

So, overall it's good but it's weak in some areas? Lyrics kinda pop-ish?

I like a little more political agenda. But to be honest, I was shocked with Dynamite and the mention of Bush and "The world that he wants" which I presume is about him. Maybe seen as 'anti-American'. I'll bet he's playing it safe this time! Wink

"Not the Funk I want" -not that good ratings! I'm sure I won't get this one with my copy. Whew!

Well, I don't think I'll be getting my copy(s) too soon Sad
But interesting to see the opinions. Some songs only heard (w/annoying skipping version) on Youtube.

Galaxyfunk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 08:08    Reply with quote

brought from itunes shortly after midnight 1st nov..
... love it Very Happy soooo good to have um 'back'.. 4 years for 14 tracks... im in outerplanetry cosmic heaven

iranterres

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 20:49    Reply with quote

Finaly I will post my definitive review of the album. And It's based in the Original Version, i will update the review with the bonuses since my deluxe version arrives at home. Very Happy

So here it goes:

Rock Dust Light Star: Jay's well known thoughts about religion, faith and nature very well presented in this tune, though not as striking as his previous lyrics inside the context, tries to deliver a message and it succeeds on the task. Musically speaking, it a well made tune, very mannered. For me sounds like one of the earliest songs recorded for the album, while feeling how the sound progresses with its arrangements very well placed but with a tone of "free will" as it goes, sounds like they wished to get off the chains wich were keeping them tied to something. Score 6/10.

White Knucle Ride: Certanly is the closest approach the band has ever taken into the mainstream, even more than Don't Give Hate a Chance, since the lyrics are softer and the melody is catchier, surely its the song that any random pop oriented listener will point out and say "that one is good" but personally it fails to impress on anything else. Although it's worth stating this tune becomes a monster when playing at live, sounds far from the overproduction it received. Score 6/10 Live Score 8/10

Smoke And Mirrors: It's the first song in the tracklist that starts showing off the how the album really feels, the daring bassline and the Jay's 'story-telling' style of singing is a remark. It really feels like a song that you would say it's from Synkronized though it was never recorded there. But i think the song demonstrates it's going to grow into something bigger but it doesn't happen. Overall one more demonstration of the funk prowess of Jamiroquai. Score 7/10

All Good In The Hood: This socially conscious tune is a powerful funky that definitely marks the true comeback of the brasses, Paul, Rob Derrick and Sola seems to be perfectly "synkronized" and delivered one of the best funk tunes in years. This song surely will be another live monster when played by them. And Jay's 'telephone voice' last seen on Scam really brings out a bit of nostalgia. Score 8/10

Hurtin': Jamiroquai is well know as one of the very few bands in the world capable of playing any kind of musical style flawlessly. On Hurtin' is not different. Here the band sounds like having a saturday picnic with Pink Floyd watching AC/DC in the TV and talking about how good Queen sounded in the late 70's. Jay's ability to use his voice as a toy of his own taste is awesome, pure jewel. Although far from being the strongest tune in the album, it's creativity and innovative spirit is meriftul. Score 7/10

Blue Skies: The "alien" song of the album. This one sounds different from anything recorded for it, from its production technique to arrangement type. It's beautiful, nice lyrics. A tune that flows naturally, where every note and every instrument is very well placed. Jay's voice sounds a bit too powerful for this kind of vibe, but it doesn't overshadow the quality of the tune. Some may find it boring, some may get delighted but the most important is, it wants to pass a message, it does, and does it in a very smooth way. Score 7/10

Lifeline: Someone maybe came up with an idea: "hey, let's see how good Marvin Gaye feels with some contemporary riffs, now lets add a bit of Barry White's mellow juice and shake it a bit with some wild horns, how would it sound like?" The answer: Lifeline. But there's a problem, Marvin Gaye is never outdated so does Barry White, coupled with very cool strings to make it sound edgier, Jamiroquai wanted to throw itself head-on into the late sixties with a small touch of the 70's Motown-esque wild and reckless sound. Clapping, strings and horns going wild towards the end of the song, shows how messy and fun this song and its lyrics are. Indeed a good surprise of the album. Score 9/10

She's A Fast Persuader:This song is a constant burnout, from its lyrics to its fast-pacing nonstop action. Here Jamiroquai tells you they're back to break the house and blow your mind definitely. The song is complete, is gorgeous, no one will let this one pass unoticed. Here the band is on it's true essence, fast, crazy wild reckless and with shameless lyrics, She's A Fast Persuader has it's place in the shelf of the golden tunes of Jamiroquai. For those who said the song has indecent or inadequate lyrics, go back home and cry to your mama. Score 10/10

Two Completely Different Things: Jamiroquai likes to demonstrate why it's Jamiroquai and here it's not any different, Two Completely Different Things, goes as you're in a sunny day walking at the beach with that nice girlfriend you got and you feel that nice breeze passing through your back. That's how this song is, a smooth and nice trip to the golden vintage days of Jamiroquai. The vibe of the soung is just perfect. The band found the right spots for the brasses and Matt's inventive synth bites makes this song one of the best (if not the best) tunes in this album, after listening it first, you want to listen to it again because it's so nice and warm that it hypnotizes you and when you get yourself back again, it's gone. I'd give a toe to watch this tune played live. Score 10/10

Goodbye To My Dancer: Seemingly a very personal song of Jay, we see him playing once again with his story-telling style of singing a song and also his ad-libs, the backing vocals this time doesn't sound exaggerated, they are well suited for the tune and Rob's riffs are sweet. I'd say it's Rob who carries this song on his back and takes it to another level. Definitely a very fun and creative song on it's forays into reggae music. Score 8/10

Never Gonna Be Another: The "where i am" moment of the album, the tune has no surprises aside from Matt's interesting lines with his Rhodes that makes it a bit warmer. Pretty decent for an album filler. Score 5/10

Hey Floyd: Here's the greatest surprise of the album. Hey Floyd starts a bit shy, but as it progresses it becomes clear that this one is from a different breed. Too many different styles inside one tune, swift tone changes, wild percussion, not mentionating the reggae part wich is worth of note with Jay's brilliant adlibbing and Paul's kickass bassline made that part into a genuine reggae. Later on, Sola's innovative percussion makes its name in song's bridges and later on with the mastery of Matt Johnson and his rhodes solo accompained to Jay's voice, definitely made the drug-themed Hey Floyd sounding like a pocket synphony and one of the most solid tunes Jamiroquai has produced in the last 12 years so far. Score 10/10

Final Considerations: As a milestone for the band, the album shows a more mature Jamiroquai with it's genuinely funky sound, is definitely a comeback for them and surely one of their most solid works since Synkronized, although Rock Dust Light Star may sound a bit patchy due to the mood swings in the album, it is a true improvement over the last works, and marked a change in direction for the band. It also marked Paul Turner's consolidation with his bass playing mastery, specially seen on She's a Fast Persuader and Smoke And Mirrors. And as you listen to the album, it feels as the tracks are flowing the later tunes seem younger and as they were placed propositaly to mark how the band's sound was being shaped during the recording process. Overall an excellent album. Average Score: 8/10

Last edited by iranterres on Sun Nov 07, 2010 02:01; edited 3 times in total

Space Clav
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 21:31    Reply with quote

iranterres wrote:
Review

Great review! It was very interesting to read.

petra0666

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 09:10    Reply with quote

I Love to read all your reviews!!!
Thank you!!

John Doggett

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 13:41    Reply with quote

iranterres wrote:

She's A Fast Persuader:This song is a constant burnout, from its lyrics to its fast-pacing nonstop action. Here Jamiroquai tells you they're back to break the house and blow your mind definitely. The song is complete, is gorgeous, no one will let this one pass unoticed. Here the band is on it's true essence, fast, crazy wild reckless and with shameless lyrics, She's A Fast Persuader has it's place in the shelf of the golden tunes of Jamiroquai. For those who said the song has indecent or inadequate lyrics, go back home and cry to your mama. Score 10/10

Never Gonna Be Another: The "where i am" moment of the album, the tune has no surprises aside from Matt's interesting lines with his Rhodes that makes it a bit warmer. Pretty decent for an album filler. Score 5/10

Great Review! I like your comment about SAFP's lyrics! You're right!
Yet, I'm not agree with the NGBA's rating: it's one of the nice moment of the album, and it will growing on us for sure! I'll give 8 for it's sweetness

But all tastes are in nature! Wink

smills

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 19:28    Reply with quote

Yeah, I also disagree with the Never Gonna Be Another reception! It's a beautiful track, it's subtle and paces things before the crescendo of Hey Floyd. There is also a Pink Floyd feel to the guitar and a beautiful warmth to the rhodes. This track is one of the best on the album with an understated and sweet chorus that people are misinterpreting as too poppy or catchy. Effective and great music can be simple too. One reviewer elsewhere said it well "if you can't handle pop hooks in well constructed music, you're not listening to your music right".

Butterfly in June

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 08:32    Reply with quote

I simply love reading all the reviews Very Happy

nitric

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 18:52    Reply with quote

@Iranterres,

Great review dude!!!

I only disagree on the uderrated "White Knuckle Ride" which is a meant to sound as a commercial hit and it reaches the target. It's a very danceable and catchy tune which would be a newer "Little L".

Also disagree on the overrated "Hurtin'". It lack creativity, specially the over-repeated guitar riffs.

It's great to see such a detailed and complex review like this one!

*LeeLoo*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 22:05    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
LeeLoo (love the name btw)
Quote:

So, overall it's good but it's weak in some areas? Lyrics kinda pop-ish?

I've been reading the lyrics and I must confess that are less pop-ish I've guessed from the first begining. Say that Jay's accent doesn't help at foreing audience to understand what he's saying, so I must translate those before give a final opinion.

There are lyrics about love, like always, but try to find a group who doesn't talk about love (in all its manners, from good to bad), even Rammstein has love-themed songs (sad songs, must say). Usually I prefer songs about "how upset I feel with you" than "oh my darling you're so sweeet ooooooh". It's my personal taste. But I've always thought that Jay's a good songwriter 'cause his lyrics are kinda clever and uses good literally tools for it (not always, remember, just go and check the simplicity of Little L, and I love the song).

mr.az

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 23:23    Reply with quote

for the ones who miss political lyrics, RDLS says''there's nothing about your war, i can call it what i like'' Wink

yes, i miss the dynamite era because many of the tracks were political statements, from DGHAC, SDISJ to WTHW
anyways, i like it what i have heard from this new album Cool
many lyrics on RDLS reflects me...so, its something weird, at the same time i feel related, then i skip some tunes because they sound like my thoughs singed by jay Exclamation

maybe next album will have more politic, then all genres styles sounds
anyways, i give this album 7/10 and i think will have it for a long time Cool
AFO=AUTOMATON

Gonza-Arg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 00:11    Reply with quote

mr.az wrote:
i miss the dynamite era because many of the tracks were political statements, from DGHAC, SDISJ to WTHW

Seven days? political?

mr.az

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 00:21    Reply with quote

Gonza-Arg wrote:
mr.az wrote:
i miss the dynamite era because many of the tracks were political statements, from DGHAC, SDISJ to WTHW

Seven days? political?

not the whole track, but even jay said in some interview that seven days was way political with the line''why u have to drop that bomb on me?''. it wasn't the whole track, anyways that line was enough Cool
AFO=AUTOMATON
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: