jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

*Rock Dust Light Star - FAN REVIEWS of the new album*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Gonza-Arg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 04:38    Reply with quote

mr.az wrote:
Gonza-Arg wrote:
mr.az wrote:
i miss the dynamite era because many of the tracks were political statements, from DGHAC, SDISJ to WTHW

Seven days? political?

not the whole track, but even jay said in some interview that seven days was way political with the line''why u have to drop that bomb on me?''. it wasn't the whole track, anyways that line was enough Cool

no, I'm pretty sure that was a metaphor, mate! Smile

mr.az

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 05:03    Reply with quote

yes,it is Very Happy
i remember a small interview on ftv about dynamite, here he said about seven days being political.
i swear i havent heard in any other place Wink
AFO=AUTOMATON

fUnK[iLo]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 14:55    Reply with quote

Gonza-Arg wrote:
mr.az wrote:
Gonza-Arg wrote:
mr.az wrote:
i miss the dynamite era because many of the tracks were political statements, from DGHAC, SDISJ to WTHW

Seven days? political?

not the whole track, but even jay said in some interview that seven days was way political with the line''why u have to drop that bomb on me?''. it wasn't the whole track, anyways that line was enough Cool

no, I'm pretty sure that was a metaphor, mate! Smile

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that "to drop a bomb on someone" in this context means "to deliver bad news"..

I really know this little Corner of the Earth it smiles at me...

iranterres

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 23:03    Reply with quote

That's a review topic, and the "bombing" thing Jay reffered is about his falling for the girl. Whatever...

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 17:53    Reply with quote

Overall, it’s new Jamiroquai music and I’m thrilled. Great vocals, instrumentalists -very talented, music is great with new styles. And I think I understand the meaning “Pipe & Slippers”! When I listen to new music, I listen with open ears and nit-pick. But eventually it becomes background. And all songs should have some peak. Also recognize one of their trademarks is to combine styles. One element throughout the album not my taste, but it'll grow on me. Many songs’ end continues past, which I think is one of their trademarks! (not typical of pop). And this will be the best part of "LIVE" performances.
Many Lyrics based mainly on relationships. I kinda miss Space Wink

Rock, Dust, Light, Star probably my favorite song. Has a surround hum to it. Feel Good chords. Music is great and well written. And at 4:02 he says “Cheeba” but I’d swear he says “Cheetah!” After RDLS the world will go on
She’s a Fast Persuader –love it! The JMQ element. The only possible clubbin’ song. LOL Just can’t believe the part "I'm travelling at the speed of light/sound” he didn't put Cheeba here! Surprised
Lifeline –woke up with this one in my head today! Just about the best song. Kinda a Motown intro and upbeat. But then a Beatlesque sound, then jazz. Moves through many styles. But a feel-good song. Well- written, great vocals!

Two Completely Different Things is a great song. I love the music, smooth rhythms & vocals.

Goodbye to My Dancer Slow groove. I like it overall, but not sure if I like the chorus, too slow. Best part is when he comes back with “Now I pretend…It’s Over now” Like a shout back!

Smoke & Mirrors –kinda funky/jazzy. Cool lyrics. The Rolling Stones reference. Good song. Cool girl chorus “Tonight my dear, tonight your lovin...”

Still love Hurtin’ Simple, and funky, rock. Great instruments. Builds up to the chorus. Bold.

All Good in the Hood is great. Rhythmic, great vocals. The chorus sounds a bit off. But gives it that character. Can't wait to hear the remix.

Hey Floyd –I’m sorry, but the lyrics ‘ride that crazy white horse’ draws me back to Laid Back and another great song! But music reminds me of ‘Bob Marley’ and the ‘Police’, and Jay has a great reggae voice, and then it turns into a fast groove, then jazzy keyboards, a bit all over! Could still become my favorite!

Never gonna be Another -zzzzZZ

cheebalover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 22:18    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
. And at 4:02 he says “Cheeba” but I’d swear he says “Cheetah!” After RDLS the world will go on

he says "hit it"

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 04:13    Reply with quote

Wooah!
What an album!
I haven't read all the reviews, I've been away from the forum most of the time, but I think is pretty safe to say that this is a clear return to form for the band. Better than A Funk Odyssey and Dynamite for sure. It feels like a mixture between all the albums between EOPE and S.
I find it hard to believe that (almost) the same line up made D and RDLS, two albums that musically, for me, are worlds apart. That tells a lot about the production of a record and how important is.
Jay was spot-on on that commentary about Dynamite's sound being 'sterile'. I'm glad he can learn from previous experiences.
The biggest and best decision that the band made is to record this album entirely live, without computers, without electronic drums (at least that we can hear of!). That's something we've been asking since AFO and they delivered.
Second, and most importantly, are the stars on this album: mr Paul Turner and the entire brass section. That's what make this album "thirty six thousand miles" away better than the last two.
Don't get me wrong, I like the electronic era of Jamiroquai (and that bossa-nova incursion in AFO). But this recordings just blends a lot better with the first 4 albums.
The first album for Paul Turner, congratulations for the awesome input. Hopefully the whole Zender talk will end at this point -not for some, sadly-.

Track by track analysis (sort of)

Rock Dust Light Star
It's a nice song to start the album. I've heard the live version so many times! This is a very good version, although I can't help but feel that there might be a better version, longer, more instrumental, somewhere. In that Behind the Scenes video, for example, there's a much...I don't know, cleaner sound of this song. Even the live one has a little more instrumental parts. It sets up quite well the rest of the album.

White Knuckle Ride
It works a lot better in the context of the album, and it may be the only song on the album that reminds me of the Jamiroquai we heard in AFO and D.

Smoke and Mirrors
Now we are talking! This is a great song, one of my favorites. What I particulary like about this song is that there's no recognizable chorus defined. The title of the song is taken from a line near the end. The sax solo represents what we've been missing from Jamiroquai all this years.

All Good In The Hood
This could be a grower. The bass is awesome, and so are some keys and guitar bits here and there. I don't mind the 'weak' chorus. Is a catchy rhythmic funky tune that may have worked better longer and with some small melody changes. But I don't care, I bet this will become a favorite some day! I haven't heard this one live yet (Walking out...walking out! catchy).

Hurtin'
I really like the first part, but the song goes nowhere, it doesn't change at all. Is just layers on top of each other: first the drums, then a guitar, then the guitars, then Jay, then the backing vocals, then the keyboards, and finally everything smashed together. The end of the song is just noise to me. Sad, because this time they captured quite well the rock and funk fusion.

Blue Skies
I don't understand all the fuzz they made about this song, is a perfectly nice summer song to hear while driving. I really like it, is not their best ballad, but it comes close. The strings and Jay's voice are great. I think people asociate this with Robbie Williams because of the video. If the video had the entire band playing á la Alright, the response could've been different. The lyrics about a new chapter in your life is interesting.

Lifeline
I missed those strings! Thank you Simon Hale!
Great start, great middle, great end. I like how the song changes all the way and sometimes is quite different from the Jamiroquai we know. The last chorus right after the song reaches its peak is very well put, is something a song like Hurtin' needed, something different to end the song.
Another favorite...maybe because is so catchy, I keep singing this.

She's A Fast Persuader
Oh well... here it comes: probably the best Jamiroquai song since Canned Heat. There, I said it. Everything on this song is close to perfection: the spacey keyboards, the bass, the slowed-down chorus, the percussion and the constant urgency of the rhythm all the way. Even the filthy lyrics makes it special. (Is like a mixture between Travelling Without Moving and Radio).
I got goosebumps the first time I heard it. Awesome. Just awesome. My favorite song on this record.

Two Completely Different Things
Another winner. This is old school. I don't think any other artist releases this kind of music anymore, besides known brothers Incognito. And what's interesting is that this song is originally from the Dynamite era, the album that may be the most distant from the known traditional early Jamiroquai sound. This song just irradiates good vibes, as simple as that. Just beautiful.

Goodbye To My Dancer
Nice nice! The reggae-esque sound works beautifully with the vocals, and this song has an awesome middle break, that whole "got another lover who loves mistakes" part is incredibly well done.

Never Gonna Be Another
Your traditional slow song that must be on every album of every artist. What I really like about this song is that it sounds straight from the Marvin Gaye and Motown era with that keyboard. This could easily be a ballad from way back in 1977. The album needed a moment to breath between songs, and I'm glad this song is here.

Hey Floyd
Now here's where things get interesting. This is the first time -along with Angeline and Hang It Over- that I feel that Jamiroquai is evolving, musically speaking. I'm not talking about going back to the roots and all that infinite discussion, but actually getting into new sounds and trying something different. The blaxploitation/reggae mixture fits perfect with Jamiroquai. Jay uses his voice in a different way and even the lyrics doesn't sound like standard Jay's writing.
I always wanted them to do something like what Isaac Hayes did with Shaft (God, I love that album!) and listening to this I can't wait for them to keep getting into this sounds. This is growing on me like a disease. Great way to end the album.

The bonus tracks:
That's Not The Funk I Want
Yes, sounds like a b-side, no doubt about it. It doesn't fit the album. Still, there's something nice about the song, I can't really tell what it is, but it is a decent bonus track that sits right next to Snooze You Lose.

Angeline
Like I said earlier, I feel this are new sounds for Jamiroquai, much more funk/rock oriented (and in a nice way, not like in a Black-Devil-Car way). It has to grab me yet, but I can tell is good stuff.
(Angeline = Little Angela from High Times?).

Hang It Over
The first 20 seconds doesn't sound like Jamiroquai AT ALL. And that's good. What a fun and different song. I know is not possible, but I can so see this as a single, just to prove people that the music styles Jamiroquai handles is much more than they think. And is good stuff too.

Now, I have to say this. Jay has one enormous task to learn for the next album:
drop the word BABY from his vocabulary. Just drop it.
If you pay attention, it gets annoying. Really. I know is like a trademark, maybe in the same way The Beatles had a "yeaaaahhh" on every song. But the 'baby' at the end of every line of almost every chorus, keeps away the song from being different.
What I mean is, if the lyrics contain another word instead of 'baby', is a much richer song, it has more content. If Jay tries to stop saying it, he's gonna have to a) change the word or b) change the structure of the line he's singing. If you take away that 'baby', there's a word needed, is not an ad-lib.

Lyrically, however, the songs are very good. Although you may have noticed the tematically identical 4-song-bunch about break ups: H, GTMD, NGBA, TCDT. Clearly this is an important subject for Jay. I don't mind at all. Hell, for me one of the best albums is Sea Change by Beck, and was written right after his break up. It's a sad but also a beautiful album.
I think there's a difference between writing love songs that are just 'bland' (talking about how is the love and all that crap) and actually write about the consequences of love, in a heartful way. It's a more mature approach about the subject than previous Jamiroquai efforts (Love Foolosophy, for example... with that video, even the title makes it sound not serious at all).
Still, and with that said, I'd like them to come back a little bit to more social and/or political issues. It was a trademark for the band in the early 90's and they should never lose that.

Mature could be a word that may describe this album. As you can see, I'm very happy with the results of this record!. The only song that I'm currently skipping is Hurtin'. The rest is a pure joy, a perfect mixture of old, current, and new Jamiroquai sounds. I'm extremely curious about what they left behind for the next album. Hey Floyd, Hang It Over, Smoke and Mirrors and Two Completely Different Things, to name only a few, show the potential that this line-up of amazing musicians have in store for, hopefully, many many years and albums to come.

My respects to Jay, Derrick, Sola, Matt, Rob, Paul, Hazel, Valerie, Lorraine, Malcolm, James, Jim, Simon and the rest of the people behind, and Charlie and Brad producing, engineering and mixing this awesome record.

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 04:19    Reply with quote

Cheebalover
Quote:
he says "hit it"

I don't think so. Maybe it's Cheatham (or what his real last name is). Or something else. Listen with your i-pod & earphones.

As for overall album -I think what is good is the arrangements of the songs. Jay's voice is quality throughout.

And agree with Dye -much more mature sounding. I think this is how he'll (they'll) be presented as well.

Also agree, want a bit more political, less relationship.

(However, I don't hear Marvin Gaye in Never Gonna Be another Sad But it may be growing on me.)

Sandriche
Officer & Jamily Coach

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 04:57    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
Cheebalover
Quote:
he says "hit it"

I don't think so.

it´s in the official lyrics!!!it´s "HIT IT"..and that´s what I also hear on the record.

DYE!!! you are back..!! loved your review Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 09:00    Reply with quote

Well, I finally received my special edition uk copy in the mail today, so I gave it a good listen all the way through in one sitting. (I didn't listen to the remixes.) Prior to this listen, I had no idea what any of the songs sounded like, including the singles released beforehand.

It's a very interesting album, and I think all of the tracks share a common vibe with each other. This album also seems to be heavily influenced by classic rock with bits of 80s funk thrown in for good measure.

RDLS has a good consistency, and I rate it higher than Dynamite. The difference between this album and the previous 3 is that, to me at least, the highs are not as high, and the lows are not as low. It has a very laid back, solid sound. I also think that this album sounds fresher than Dynamite or AFO, and I enjoyed the production used on the songs.

With changes in the band lineup, I guess a different vibe is to be expected, and it's for that reason that I don't really think 'RDLS' carries on the vibe of the first 5 albums. It's an evolution in sound for better or for worse, and Dynamite was the mishmash transition. I imagine the next album will carry on a very similar sound to RDLS, but I hope the subsequent album features funky keyboard action PROMINENTLY, because I sorely missed that element. Matt sounded non-existent on a lot of tracks.

The instrumentation all around was really well done, and JK's voice is better than it was on Dynamite or AFO.

A few criticisms: On the whole, the arrangements of the songs sounded tame and unadventurous. That's not to say they're bad. These songs simply reminded me more of classic rock than jazz-funk. Additionally, I don't know if this was on purpose, but the lyrics and singing didn't seem to synchronize with the music as fluidly as they did in the past. My own opinion of course... Lastly, a lot of these songs sound derivative of elements from other songs. Like certain parts were copy & pasted into new arrangements. The intro to AGITH with the Queen bassline throwback for example.

Short reviews of a few songs:

RDLS: Really sounds like 70s classic rock. It's ok.

WKR: Sounds like cheesy euro club music... for the afterhours. As a club track, it lacks a lot of bite.

S&M: I like. More or less.

AGITH: I would've gone with this as the first single. Pretty good song.

H: After reading all the ruckus this track caused, and then finally hearing it for the first time... all the criticisms seem really exaggerated. His voice sounds a little rough, and the track is more classic rock than funk. eh

BS: A short little relaxing track. It's decent. I would not have picked this as a single, though. It does not excite.

L: O.K. song. Something about it reminds me of a tv sitcom theme song, though. I like the barely audible flute... they should've made it more pronounced.

SAFP: I like this track the most. 4/5 It could've been arranged a little better, though.

TCDT: I like it about as much as SAFP, I think. 4/5

GTMD: Interesting song... kinda classic rock/reggae

NGBA: A sad melancholy song... but it's pulled off well.

HF: Interesting combo... 4/5 They should've released this as a single, with multiple versions of the track. Non-reggae version/ full on reggae version, maybe an instrumental & the album version.

A: Decent song... the beginning, after the first Angeline, reminds me of the mario bros underground theme, which was inspired by a track from an obscure album called 'friendship'

HIO: Very New Orleans influenced. A cool b-side.

Pretty good album. None of these songs exhibited what I like to call 'single gold'... a song that has essentially perfect arrangements & lyrics... you know, Like SDISJ or LL or CH or Alright, etc...

A lot of these songs also had a lingering sound that reminded me of someone reminiscing of better days as they watch their time run out.

robotscantadlib

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 16:50    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
Cheebalover
Quote:
he says "hit it"

I don't think so. Maybe it's Cheatham (or what his real last name is). Or something else. Listen with your i-pod & earphones.

(However, I don't hear Marvin Gaye in Never Gonna Be another Sad But it may be growing on me.)

Absolutely says 'hit it.' People want to imagine 'cheeba' is all over the place..come on. Has nothing to do with the song.

This album is definitely a return to form, musically. Lyrically, it's still missing the quality we got from the Toby/Jay partnership.

Overall, I'm happy with it, but I really do think SAFP could've been a lot better. The bass-line is lacking, there's just too much space to catch a solid groove off of it. The horns are also squashed in the mix and sound kinda flimsy. Sax solo was uninspired, and the 'girl's got crazy rhythm, coming from a stranger place' part always throws me off. I guess it's not what I expected to happen in the song, I wanted the energy level to continue going 'up', if you know what I mean. There are a couple of painful moments in the album such as the 'you're cool when you're burnin' part of Goodbye To My Dancer. Never Gonna Be Another is a track I can't even listen to, it's just so bad. Surely they can produce a better ballad than that..Everyday and Falling are just light years beyond it.

Zsoma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 17:00    Reply with quote

Sandriche wrote:

DYE!!! you are back..!! loved your review Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Let me second this Cool !

John Doggett

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 20:43    Reply with quote

Dye wrote:
Wooah!
What an album!
I haven't read all the reviews, I've been away from the forum most of the time, but I think is pretty safe to say that this is a clear return to form for the band. Better than A Funk Odyssey and Dynamite for sure. It feels like a mixture between all the albums between EOPE and S.d.

Excellent review Dyego. I couldn't make it better! Do you think that this album is a kind of successor of "our" dear Synkronized?

Sandriche
Officer & Jamily Coach

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 21:48    Reply with quote

I just wanted to add that " baby" is not really bothering me..but maybe it´s because I am a girl Laughing Laughing

" ..Baby you`re an angel..."
love2 *sigh*
it just works! haha

*LeeLoo*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 22:44    Reply with quote

Talking about the lyrics, at the second chorus of She's a Fast persuader seems to heard an echoed voices in one says "she's coming from stranger place" in the main line and the other says "she's coming from stranger pleasure" more in the background. I don't know if those are my headphones or some kind of word game (in the last case it'll a good one).

And are my headphones too or here Jay breath too... louder?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: