jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Prince secretly playing guitar on Hurtin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Cosmic_Tanja

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 16:55    Reply with quote

Prince secretly playing guitar on Hurtin
Hello everybody,

I heard a (stupid) rumour:
A friend of a friend (yeah, lame I know) knows someone who knows someone (even lamer) who has Prince's email (I doubt that) and he says Prince told him that he played the guitar on Jamiroquais new album. Especially on Track 5, which would be Hurtin.
This person is SO agressivly convinced about this that I cannot give him any proof for this. When I show him interviews, like Rob saying he played all tracks and Jay wanting him to play the guitar dirtyer or Derrick saying that the whole band played all tracks live and even the album credits say differently, this person claims that Prince did this secretly and does not want any credits for this, nor wants this to be public.
I immedately said this is not true. I mean c'mon, as if Rob would let someone else play the tunes on the album they put so much work in. And also why does his perfomance sound the same live? I think it would be humiliating for Jamiroquai and especially Rob Harris if someone else ghost-played on the album.
After all it's what Milli Vanilli did with their vocals Wink

How can I proof this person wrong (probably never?) and do you think this is a bigger rumour among Prince fans?

Happy New Year!
Cosmic_Tanja

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 17:00    Reply with quote

You could just tell your friend that he should register on facebook (if he isn't on it already) and add Rob Harris to his friendlist, then he can contact Rob and ask him directly. As far as I know he replies to questions when he has the time. Not sure if this one is too stupid to answer though. Wink

JamiroFan2000
Correspondent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 02:28    Reply with quote

Re: Prince secretly playing guitar on Hurtin
Cosmic_Tanja wrote:
Hello everybody,

I heard a (stupid) rumour:
A friend of a friend (yeah, lame I know) knows someone who knows someone (even lamer) who has Prince's email (I doubt that) and he says Prince told him that he played the guitar on Jamiroquais new album. Especially on Track 5, which would be Hurtin.
This person is SO agressivly convinced about this that I cannot give him any proof for this. When I show him interviews, like Rob saying he played all tracks and Jay wanting him to play the guitar dirtyer or Derrick saying that the whole band played all tracks live and even the album credits say differently, this person claims that Prince did this secretly and does not want any credits for this, nor wants this to be public.
I immedately said this is not true. I mean c'mon, as if Rob would let someone else play the tunes on the album they put so much work in. And also why does his perfomance sound the same live? I think it would be humiliating for Jamiroquai and especially Rob Harris if someone else ghost-played on the album.
After all it's what Milli Vanilli did with their vocals Wink

How can I proof this person wrong (probably never?) and do you think this is a bigger rumour among Prince fans?

Happy New Year!
Cosmic_Tanja

buffaloman_R Wink Happy New Year Greets Jamily Wink buffaloman_R ,

Well, I think I can slightly unravel this mysterious rumour, though your friends do have a few wires crossed. First off, indeed, sister Meike is right, you should initially have your friend get a Facebook, friend Rob Harris and ask him directly, he is the bandmember whose online the most. Second off, maybe your friend is thinking about Stevie Wonder, reason I say that is that Prince DID make an 'uncredited' contribution on guitar on Stevie's 2008 album, "A Time To Love", on it's first single "So What The Fuss", you can directly tell that Prince is on the song when Stevie, at the beginning, remarks openly, "Hey Prince, Pop It!". I hope that info helps you out on that rumour, btw welcome to Jamirotalk and enjoy your stay! Cheers!

Sincerely,
JamiroFan2000

robotscantadlib

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 05:58    Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Doesn't sound anything like Prince. Some people can convince themselves of just about anything.

msammon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 08:00    Reply with quote

Jay doesn't do duets on albums :-) or allow others to help other than the band

Cosmic_Tanja

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 09:39    Reply with quote

If he'd do a duet he'd do it out loud and not secretly!

Of course it would be the easyest thing to get him on facebook and ask Rob himself. But he won't get facebook and even if he did and molested Rob with such a question, then he'd probably still believe he was right, cause he thinks he has this information from Prince himself.

I know Prince appeared on many albums and yes - even "secretly" - but not on Hurtin. So either Prince is lying or he's talking to a fake Prince (my opinion) Surprised)))
I'd love to ask Rob myself, but I think it's wasting Robs time ;o)

But as it seems nobody hear has heard this rumour before... (yeh, cause Prince doesn't want us to know! lol)

JamiroDiz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 13:45    Reply with quote

I'm quite well-connected in the Prince world I'd say, but i never came across this rumor before. Plus it's highly unlikely, plus it wouldn't make any sense, plus the behaviour your friend describes (not wanting to have that rumor spread, still talking about it to some, etc.) doesn't fit. It's a hoax i guess.

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 16:45    Reply with quote

Hey Jamily, and most of all, dear Cosmic_Tanja!

Funnily, I got an unexpected email from Rob Harris today, clearing up this mistery! He has obviously read this thread and wanted to give his feedback.

Read here what he is saying about the rumour, whether Prince played on the new album.

Rob Harris wrote:
All i can say is , what a compliment. I love Prince's guitar playing and although i'm sure these rumours aren't coming from Prince himself for me its nice to be even spoken about n the same sentence lol. I would seriously question the person who claims he's having chats with prince about this as i can't imagine him divulging such information anyway.
i can tell you that these rumours aren't true. I'm afraid its all me. Prince was in no way involved. If it was him i'd be the first to be shouting it from the rooftops.

I guess this clears it up! Go and tell your friend, Tanja! I hope he's not too upset! Wink

Mouse

Júlia*

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 17:22    Reply with quote

thanks Smile

www.twitter.com/jupennylane
www.twitter.com/jamiro_brazil

Gonza-Arg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 17:30    Reply with quote

Quote:
All i can say is , what a compliment.

Laughing Rob rules

iranterres

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 03:30    Reply with quote

Rob's a true gentleman...

Gobiline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 04:18    Reply with quote

He's so humble! Wow, I admire him more for that. Is he reads JTalk, all I can say is: Thanks Rob, because of your funky sound I loved JMQ.

mr.az

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 04:26    Reply with quote

great, rob reads jtalk¡¡¡¡¡ Very Happy Very Happy
AFO=AUTOMATON

Cosmic_Tanja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 18:21    Reply with quote

Thanks so much
Thanks so much!!! Surprised))))

The guy is speechless now and apologizes for believing his "friend" was talking to Prince

My biggest attention to Robs guitar playing is on Hey Floyd. This distorted sounds on the right has ALL my attention, though it is not mixed and meant to be in the foreground Surprised))

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 18:47    Reply with quote

Prince? Funny! But, Yeah, I didn't see any credits to Jamie Starr on the album. Wink

Funny, I've already said Hurtin' sounds so American, Rock (U.S.).
And Rob is a great guitarist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: