jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

RDLS - 3 months later
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jamirowolf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 17:43    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:

And not sure if the album has even been marketed in my side of the world.

I agree HoneyBee! wtf is with the promotion here?...I haven't even bought my album yet...not until they put a little effort on promoting here...makes me wonder if they're at least considering coming to tour the US/Mexico area at all?

JamiroquainPt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 21:03    Reply with quote

Well, I think the promotion of the album, by Universal Records, is limited to some countries in Europe, and maybe in Asia.

For example, here in Portugal, there was NO promotion for the album, no singles promoted on the radios, at the moment we can hear the WKR, from time to time.

In the official music stores, there aren't any singles as on eBay their scarse too.

My final opinion, besides this is a great album, the promotion of the record and singles are one of the worst ever seen, in my point of view.

/Tiago

Jamirowolf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 21:52    Reply with quote

Eu concordo meu amigo Tiaginho!

Rita

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 15:41    Reply with quote

eu também concordo!! here in portugal, i've only heard wkr and blue skies once on the radio and an announcement about the new jamiroquai album in FOX LIFE, so i'ts normal that a lot of people don't know about rdls

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 22:41    Reply with quote

Jamirowolf wrote:
Quote:
I agree HoneyBee! wtf is with the promotion here?...I haven't even bought my album yet...not until they put a little effort on promoting here...makes me wonder if they're at least considering coming to tour the US/Mexico area at all?

I've heard nothing here. Nothing. Except my Cd bought on Amazon.co.uk.

I don't really understand the marketing costs. Why not drop it into the U.S. stores?

Tlum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 16:50    Reply with quote

Sandriche wrote:
Still loving it!!!
For me whenever I listen to jamiroquai I mainly listen to RDLS...I love listening to it in the car.I am mainly skipping Never gonna be another and two completely different things.

Album sales don´t reflect on the quality of a product. Jamiroquai is too complicated for the taste of the average radio listener.

Still not loving it!!! Wink

But my vinyl just arrived so I hope it will be better than the CD master.

As you pointed it Sandy - I think the only place where I like to listen to RDLS is car as all songs fit well with driving. But it is too low for such a band!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ragadoodles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 21:48    Reply with quote

another dust-catcher more in the board

ophone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 22:56    Reply with quote

I still like it, especially since the landlord and landlady of my favourite pub played it 4 times in a row a few days ago!

I offered the waitress of the pub the simple album as a gift just after its release. The waitress is at the moment on vacation and left the album in the pub.
The landlord and the landlady told me that they like the album, the lady even asked me if the guy on the cover is a DJ! Laughing
I immediately rectified her, by telling her that this guy is the singer and the main songwriter of the band called Jamiroquai! Wink

Really, I still like the album as I liked it at the beginning, although I still prefer the first 2 albums of our favourite band, I think RDLS to be way better than Dynamite and on the same quality level as TVM or Synkronized! (Even if it's a totally other style of music.)
I don't care if there aren't real hits on this album, as long as I like most of its songs!

robotscantadlib

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 01:53    Reply with quote

Over the past few months I've given the album 40+ listens on commutes to work. I was turned off at the beginning because it seemed like we'd been lead to believe that many elements of the old style were coming back, then WKR and Blue Skies came out. Thought WKR was alright, BS was saccharine and unlistenable..but listening to it more now, I see the value in those tracks. They weren't the best singles, but they're generally well-crafted songs. WKR is very forward thinking production-wise but doesn't translate well to the live stage. This is a first for Jamiroquai, and is a bit concerning.

As for the rest of the album, I thought there were a few high points, but they weren't as numerous nor did they have the qualities that made their past efforts stand out. I think it's a good album that is a hodgepodge of all the best things they've done over the years, but it still feels a bit flat to me. It's as if Jay feels that he's done his share of challenging music and is resting on his laurels a bit, just doing it for the fun of it. It's all a bit less euphoria-inducing and intense. The horn lines aren't as snappy or involved in the melody, and it's as if the dreamy keyboard & synth sound they're famous for has taken a back-seat to a guitar-driven approach. Songs like All Good in the Hood, Hey Floyd, and Fast Persuader have their quality, classic Jamiroquai bits, but the x-factor is missing. It feels somewhat standardized and predictable/formulaic. I suppose every artist has a certain amount of creative fuel in the tank, and we're lucky to have had it last this long. I just think we're beginning to get to a quarter tank of gas left - it'll get you there, but how much juice is left? If anything has truly suffered, it's the songwriting - it's just not as clever as it was before. Too much 'baby', not enough in terms inspirational messages, things that make you think.

In all, it's not their best album (ROTSC) and not their worst (Dynamite). It's comfortable and familiar, but I suppose I was looking to have some real heat on every track. Whereas their first four or five albums felt right on the money and seemed to have some sort of cohesive element (I'll exclude TWM, which I think is similar to Dynamite in that regard), this one feels a bit scatter brained and phoned in. I'm very happy for the return of a more 'live room' sound and a stronger voiced Jay, but it seems like the magic of the early albums is that we felt he really believed what he was singing. This time around, it's as if he thought 'Alright, we gotta have a ballad. Let's write a ballad. There's a formula to this.'

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 15:22    Reply with quote

Ophone wrote:
Quote:
the lady even asked me if the guy on the cover is a DJ!

Laughing Laughing That's today for ya!

robotscantadlib wrote:
Quote:
but the x-factor is missing

hilarious! Laughing

I listen to Blue Skies today, and it's very mature and composed. And that is what Jay seems to want to present. And listening to this song, it reminds me of a ballad maybe from earlier era, maybe the 70's. It seems to have the traditional components of a song (verses, chorus, even modulation).

And the album for some songs for me, seem to have a Motown feel, with the the background music and backup singers (crazy?)
I was gonna post something -but rather not compare

EDDI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 15:46    Reply with quote

I have to say i really like the album, was worried it may do a Dynamite and i think its great for a week or two and then forget about it. Personally i think the album is the best they have done musically since Travelling Without Moving, its mature and shows genuine class. Although not my favourite Jamiroquai album i find myself listening to it again and again, and there is 5-6 tracks on that really grab me. As far as im concerned Fast Persuader, All Good In the Hood and White Knuckle Ride would get on any Jamiroquai album. Fast Persuader i'd class as one of their greatest tracks probably around 3rd or 4th for me. I think the album took into account what the fans wanted, such as, horns, and back too some old school routes, and fast persuader has a Travelling Without Moving feel to it, Two Completely Different things has a little Stillness in Time meets Tallulah. While capturing the "new jamiroquai". People bang on about the olds days, but i think many should move with times and enjoy the music instead of harping on about the past. Overall Opinion, world class musically, very mature, shows class, some great songs, the bands tight, still not my favourite of jamiro albums as the first 3 are classics, and Synkro and AFO have a real nostalgic feel about them, because it was then i first started to here and see and remember Jamiroquai as a little 10 year old. I hope everyone who contributed on the album is proud of what they have done, and i really look forward to seeing the boys and those lovely backing singers at the MEN on April 19th!

hookedup

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 05:01    Reply with quote

Move with the times and enjoy the music? I can't enjoy the music if it isnt as good. You make it sound like everyone talks about the old days and how awesome it was just because of nostalgia. Everyone talks about the old days because the first 3 albums were just that good. Plain and simple. It was just THAT good. The last two albums seem to have a lot of filler

Funk Fiction

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 05:49    Reply with quote

hookedup wrote:
Move with the times and enjoy the music? I can't enjoy the music if it isnt as good. You make it sound like everyone talks about the old days and how awesome it was just because of nostalgia. Everyone talks about the old days because the first 3 albums were just that good. Plain and simple. It was just THAT good. The last two albums seem to have a lot of filler

Yes. I second this. In fact, "move on with the times" or "get with the times" type statements can be borderline moronic. I'll use a non-Jamiroquai example. With every day, month, year that passes by, I find myself less and less and less interested in modern technologies, especially phones. We are at a point where most people's eyes are spent staring at the phone in their palm rather than the beautiful world or people. Too busy checking facebook, emails, twitter, web pages, texting. I actually am beginning to not care about any of this and actually want to get an older phone that is only capable of making phone calls and texting (some people are texters and prefer to communicate that way unfortunately). I feel like this may be a very healthy change for me and I can spend my internet activities at an appropriate environment, at home.

Someone may argue that that is an outdated and obsolete way of thinking. Someone may say "you gotta move on with the times". Someone may even argue that texting, tweeting, etc. is actually "AWESOME". I honestly hate the fact that the world (myself included) has become dependent on the computer/internet and its features (from digitizing music to GPS systems). I wish we would continue to use and depend on physical media (CDs/Vinyl Records) rather than going completely digital. A lot of people's social abilities (mainly children being raised in this type of world) are being permanently damaged and lack the ability of confrontation, visitation, responsible communication, etc.

Jay even gave us this warning with his greatest hit, ever, Virtual Insanity. We're all forgetting about "this love we have for this useless twisting of all our new technology". How clever, as we've already arrived there by "moving on with the times".

People bang on about the old days because those old days were THE REAL DEAL. The 93-97 Jamiroquai was some type of mysterious and magical accident that graced the world with such an organic chemistry between masterful musicians. That magic was broken once Stu left, although not entirely. Once Toby left, Jamiroquai was damaged beyond repair. It's just not Jamiroquai anymore and these aren't the "times" I want to immerse myself in.

RDLS is just OKAY at best. Even though it has some class and merit scattered, it is a lot of useless material that belongs in a lesser pop artists album. This is JAMIROQUAI we're talking about here!! To give RDLS too much credit is an insult to the integrity of that name!

Gonza-Arg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 07:16    Reply with quote

Funk Fiction wrote:
RDLS is just OKAY at best. Even though it has some class and merit scattered, it is a lot of useless material that belongs in a lesser pop artists album.

Yeah! any lesser pop artist can record an album like "rock dust light star"!!

/Sarcasm off

Funk Fiction

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 08:21    Reply with quote

Gonza-Arg wrote:
Funk Fiction wrote:
RDLS is just OKAY at best. Even though it has some class and merit scattered, it is a lot of useless material that belongs in a lesser pop artists album.

Yeah! any lesser pop artist can record an album like "rock dust light star"!!

/Sarcasm off

Hahaha, good one! This is actually very true considering today's pop music. So you make a good point. When I think "pop music", I usually encapsulate pop music from the 60s to present day and simply disregard this last decade as a terrible mistake. This isn't the most appropriate perspective for current pop music.

My point is: I think Jamiroquai can do better. A lot better.

It's also interesting that that is the only quote you pay attention to compared to the rest of the rather large post. Are you that sensitive to RDLS criticism?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: