jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

RDLS - My Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

funk4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:25    Reply with quote

Re: RDLS - My Thoughts
Funk Fiction wrote:
All Good In the Hood just stays on the same damn chord then changes around for unoriginal melodies, and the chorus is so offsetting and forced I can't help but cringe. The fact that it relies so heavily on effects and computers to make it sound good pisses me off. There's no grease and chemistry or dirt that the older efforts had.

About all good in the hood: maybe you should watch this performance at the afterparty of the nobelprice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQnmiFwkwNI

This is real Jamiroquai-jammin,if u ask me. Never judge a Jmq-song before you've heard it live, i'd say
Smile

I to think that this album lacks some up-tempo funk songs. But actually that's my only negative thought about it. It's jazzy, diverse, great to listen to when you're driving (SAFP especially), and so on...

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 16:45    Reply with quote

Funk Fiction opened this thread with
Quote:
Rock Dust Light Star is simply put, NOT a JAMIROQUAI album.

Well, it is. Laughing

RDLS has a little bit of something for everyone. And if you are a real music fan, you'll enjoy at least some of the different styles.

Probably the most difficult thing about RDLS is placing it into a genre. And of course, some styles from previous albums are absent, while new styles are introduced. But if you only like one style, or have an expectation of it sounding like another album, or another song, you'll always be disappointed. And if it did sound like another album, or another song, well then you'd probably criticize it. Razz

As for "All Good in the Hood" playing the same chords repeatedly, and yeah, it seems the chorus is the only place where it changes, which sounds off to me too (I'm sure I put this in my review). And lyrically, "cherry-picking love grenades" makes me laugh -WTF? But overall, I still think it's a pretty good song.

It's so easy to look backwards into a musician's catalog and say how great some song were. Wouldn't you be hungry if all they'd made was EOPE?
I feel bad for Stu & Toby, because their departure left them out in the wind. And Jay keeps going on with Jamiroquai. But, I think Jay owns the rights to the name, and he is Jamiroquai.

Jamiroquai for me, always seems upbeat, and complex. Even though some of the greatest songs ever are simple; in lyrics, in chords, in music. (that's another subject.)

immediately3000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 22:52    Reply with quote

Looking over JMQ’s back catalogue, they’ve always had musical diversity across the various stages in their career. It’s easy to zero in on the tracks with a common style that you’ve enjoyed the most from JMQ and then forget that they’ve actually been diverse. Morning Glory is a world away from Black Capricorn Day, Corner of the Earth from Getin Funky, Journey to Arnhemland from King for a Day, Music of the Mind from Supersonic, Feels Just Like It Should from Stillness in Time, Little L from Virtual Insanity etc. The RDLS album also brings diversity and TCDT, SAFP and WKR bring back some fond memories of yesteryear.

Having said all that, RDLS is most definitely not one of my favourite albums. I like Hey Floyd as well and I’m 75/25 in favour of Lifeline Confused, but I find that I’m indifferent to a lot of the other tracks or I find them mediocre or they make my ears hurt. They can’t please all of the people all of the time (apart from the people who think being a sycophant makes them a real fan). There are a great number of B tracks and album tracks I like in the back catalogue and there are some I don’t like, but we’re able to cast our net more widely over their back catalogue so the ratio of older tracks we like is bound to be higher. Looking at the situation objectively, I haven’t given up on JMQ over the RDLS album. If this stage of their career isn’t your 'cup of tea', maybe the next one will be…

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 04:32    Reply with quote

Laughing

Yes, the music catalog is diverse.
And I even had to look up 'sycophant'. Hmmm....Still not sure what a 'real fan' is.
Seems like some sort of club to be accepted into.

I think Lifeline is the most marketable tune. (love the stats 75/25 Laughing)
The longer the artist is around, the larger the back catalog. The more to love.

But I think a lot of people are throwing all their eggs into one basket.
You can Listen to Jamiroquai, but not only Jamiroquai.
It seems like some people want them to be everything they want.

immediately3000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 15:53    Reply with quote

Sycophant's a great word. Might even adapt it to this: "sycofan" to describe those people who think that every JMQ track is "great" or "cool" and would rush out to buy a copy of the sound of JMQ sneezing. All of this making them a 'real' fan.

I agree HoneyBee, there are other artists out there. There are more JMQ tracks on my music player than by any other single artist/band, although there are plenty of other artists/bands on my music player too. My musical tastes cover many genres. I don't just listen to JMQ so I can cope if not every one of their tracks/albums are to my liking - I can only hope that the next one will be.

ninjia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 13:39    Reply with quote

Interesting logic!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked I don't like RDLS album and if others like it, they simply are sycophants!!!! Or, I don't like every Jamiroquai's song and if someone insists that every Jamiroquai's song is great or cool this someone is sycophant!!! I have some questions for you!!! Are you sure that you are objective??? What do you think who is a "real fan" ??? Do you understand what's a real music in general??? That, every Jamiroquai's song is geniale independently of that, people like it or don't like!!! I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW:::: What's the benefit for Jamiroquai's sycophants??? Laughing Laughing Laughing

immediately3000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 15:51    Reply with quote

What I said was very clear - there's no facility to write with crayons here. Re-read. There are actually people out there who think you're not a 'real' fan if you wouldn't rush out to buy the sound of sneezing just because it's by JMQ.

Example:

"I like every JMQ track. Do you?"

"Not every track."

"You're not a real fan, then."

Clearer?

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 19:43    Reply with quote

ninjia wrote:
Quote:
Interesting logic!!! I don't like RDLS album and if others like it, they simply are sycophants!!!! Or, I don't like every Jamiroquai's song and if someone insists that every Jamiroquai's song is great or cool this someone is sycophant!!! I have some questions for you!!! Are you sure that you are objective??? What do you think who is a "real fan" ??? Do you understand what's a real music in general??? That, every Jamiroquai's song is geniale independently of that, people like it or don't like!!! I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW:::: What's the benefit for Jamiroquai's sycophants???

I think you're making fun of Immediately's logic!

Not everybody who likes RDLS is a sycophant!
Just because someone is excited in anticipating a new album, or if someone buys the album because they always do, and consider themselves a "fan" doesn't really make them a synchophant. Maybe every album they've bought has had flaws and disappointments. Wink (sadistic music fan)

The meaning I got was rather than privately enjoying the music, good or bad, they focus on the "ass-kissing" talking about how much they love everything and how they are a fan. And anything "Jamiroquai" would be sacred. (I have one favorite artist like this)

So I'm not sure who I agree with more, ninjia or immediately, cuz I have a killer headache today!

But you gotta love Immediately's great style!
Quote:
there's no facility to write with crayons here
Laughing Laughing

ninjia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 20:54    Reply with quote

Sorry 'immediately3000' but, only one thing is a very clear in your talk, that you are insulting people call them sycophants who like RDLS album or every song of Jamiroquai. Do you understand this? And noone never said to others here, if you don't like every track "You're not a real fan, then." But what I noticed is that people who don't like RDLS were/are very agressive on people who like the new album. That's all.

CLEARER?

ninjia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 21:16    Reply with quote

PS: And you can express your thoughts how do you like or dislike something, without touching "call" other people.

immediately3000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 21:55    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
The meaning I got was rather than privately enjoying the music, good or bad, they focus on the "ass-kissing" talking about how much they love everything and how they are a fan. And anything "Jamiroquai" would be sacred.

Yes, I’m talking about the ass-lickers, the insincere. Those who frown on fans who don’t like every track. The ones who take offence when their insincerity is rumbled.

ninjia you have misunderstood everything I said in your offended haze. I suspect – looking at one of your posts that contains pulsating hearts and nothing else – that I may have touched a truth nerve.

Javis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 23:58    Reply with quote

come on guys, this became offtopic long ago, there's no point in discuss when somebody is really fan or not.

Lets just discuss our feelings regarding the latest album in relation to the other ones.

ninjia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 00:00    Reply with quote

I expressed three pulsating hearts towards three songs /Canned Heat/Virtual Insanity/Lifeline/ performed by the band with orchestra on nobel prize in Oslo 5heartbeat 5heartbeat 5heartbeat ... Didn't you like them? ok, everything is clear with you... bye bye.

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 18:51    Reply with quote

Etiquette shows it's impolite to enter into someone's house and criticize them.
And even harsher to criticize their friends standing there. Especially if you were a previous friend, but this time without a key.
We are always welcome to not enter.

And rather than attack a person (which is lame), explain exactly what is missed. Or accept the differences, and move on.

Harmony, exists with different notes.

What is the topic, anyways?

somersault

Funk Fiction

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 21:24    Reply with quote

This got a little bit out of hand, but thanks HoneyBee for being rational about it all.

Quote:
Harmony, exists with different notes.

Loved that! Beautifully said!

Anyway, to steer things back on topic, I'll address some of the earlier posts:

When I mentioned RDLS is not a Jamiroquai album, I meant that metaphorically. Of course it IS a Jamiroquai album, but what I'm trying to say is that the first 6 albums had more of a connection with each other than RDLS has. RDLS is such a huge departure from Jamiroquai's sound. Whereas every previous album had funk, soul, disco, r&b, jazz, ethnic/world, and even film-esque music elements, RDLS really abandons most of that and delves into pop rock, soft rock, ballad type material.

IT ISN'T BAD MUSIC, it's actually good music. It just doesn't sound like Jamiroquai. Take Too Young To Die or Blow Your Mind and compare them to Planet Home (which is a track I also love very much.. again without Zender). They're totally different, but Jay's upbeat, complex, melodic vocals, on top of Toby's every so funky/jazzy chords and song writing styles are still present. Planet Home or any of the Synkronized/AFO stuff doesn't sound ANYTHING like EOPE, but it's still very Jamiroquai and it's tough to explain or convey that feeling.

I'm obviously not hungry for more EOPE stuff as I even think ROTSC or TWM are even better albums and the subsequent albums after that are still really great along with being VERY stylistically different. Rock Dust Light Star is just missing that feeling I got from the previous works. It doesn't make me feel... happy. Jamiroquai music always makes me feel happy, makes me feel good.

When I listen to RDLS, it makes me feel depressed. It makes me feel confused, uneasy.. even nauseous if you will. There's definitely great material in there but in the context of simple pop music. It's only about Jay now and his depression and the whole thing's just a downer.

I haven't given up on Jamiroquai either and am hoping that RDLS is just a phase for Jay to whine about his problems. He's already delivered such stellar material at such a high quantity that it's actually OK for him to release something that's finally and unfortunately "subpar". I'm sure he can regain the canned heat in his heels. That actually reminds me, Jay used to be the type of guy who could make it through the "bitter times", I mean come on:

"All these bitter times I'm going through, just DANCE." Talking about no matter the pain, I'm gonna make it anyway. That uplifting, positive, and powerful attitude IS COMPLETELY ABSENT in RDLS and you cannot deny that.

I don't want Jamiroquai to be everything I want them to be. I listen to tons of other music as I'm sure all of us do. Jamiroquai just happens to be the most different, the most characteristically unique, and infectious music that I listen to. They have delivered such great music in so many different styles ranging from Morning Glory to High Times to Picture of My Life. In this sense, they have metaphorically and practically delivered everything musically. I'd think about that before blindly assuming people just want them to be everything they want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: