jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

RDLS - My Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Vincenzo89

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 03:19    Reply with quote

Funk Fiction wrote:
This got a little bit out of hand, but thanks HoneyBee for being rational about it all.

Quote:
Harmony, exists with different notes.

Loved that! Beautifully said!

Anyway, to steer things back on topic, I'll address some of the earlier posts:

When I mentioned RDLS is not a Jamiroquai album, I meant that metaphorically. Of course it IS a Jamiroquai album, but what I'm trying to say is that the first 6 albums had more of a connection with each other than RDLS has. RDLS is such a huge departure from Jamiroquai's sound. Whereas every previous album had funk, soul, disco, r&b, jazz, ethnic/world, and even film-esque music elements, RDLS really abandons most of that and delves into pop rock, soft rock, ballad type material.

IT ISN'T BAD MUSIC, it's actually good music. It just doesn't sound like Jamiroquai. Take Too Young To Die or Blow Your Mind and compare them to Planet Home (which is a track I also love very much.. again without Zender). They're totally different, but Jay's upbeat, complex, melodic vocals, on top of Toby's every so funky/jazzy chords and song writing styles are still present. Planet Home or any of the Synkronized/AFO stuff doesn't sound ANYTHING like EOPE, but it's still very Jamiroquai and it's tough to explain or convey that feeling.

I'm obviously not hungry for more EOPE stuff as I even think ROTSC or TWM are even better albums and the subsequent albums after that are still really great along with being VERY stylistically different. Rock Dust Light Star is just missing that feeling I got from the previous works. It doesn't make me feel... happy. Jamiroquai music always makes me feel happy, makes me feel good.

When I listen to RDLS, it makes me feel depressed. It makes me feel confused, uneasy.. even nauseous if you will. There's definitely great material in there but in the context of simple pop music. It's only about Jay now and his depression and the whole thing's just a downer.

I haven't given up on Jamiroquai either and am hoping that RDLS is just a phase for Jay to whine about his problems. He's already delivered such stellar material at such a high quantity that it's actually OK for him to release something that's finally and unfortunately "subpar". I'm sure he can regain the canned heat in his heels. That actually reminds me, Jay used to be the type of guy who could make it through the "bitter times", I mean come on:

"All these bitter times I'm going through, just DANCE." Talking about no matter the pain, I'm gonna make it anyway. That uplifting, positive, and powerful attitude IS COMPLETELY ABSENT in RDLS and you cannot deny that.

I don't want Jamiroquai to be everything I want them to be. I listen to tons of other music as I'm sure all of us do. Jamiroquai just happens to be the most different, the most characteristically unique, and infectious music that I listen to. They have delivered such great music in so many different styles ranging from Morning Glory to High Times to Picture of My Life. In this sense, they have metaphorically and practically delivered everything musically. I'd think about that before blindly assuming people just want them to be everything they want.

really like your words ...i'm feeling the same

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 18:08    Reply with quote

Very Happy Great thoughts!

funk4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 19:19    Reply with quote

Funk Fiction wrote:

I'm obviously not hungry for more EOPE stuff as I even think ROTSC or TWM are even better albums and the subsequent albums after that are still really great along with being VERY stylistically different. Rock Dust Light Star is just missing that feeling I got from the previous works. It doesn't make me feel... happy. Jamiroquai music always makes me feel happy, makes me feel good.

When I listen to RDLS, it makes me feel depressed. It makes me feel confused, uneasy.. even nauseous if you will. There's definitely great material in there but in the context of simple pop music. It's only about Jay now and his depression and the whole thing's just a downer.

Damn, you just said what's been on my mind exactly. I do like the new album, but it doesn't give me that happy feeling, that funky feeling, that soul education ALL the other albums gave me. The new songs lack rythm, soul, and that deep groove. They're good songs, but if I didn't knew the other albums I would never become a Jamiroquai-fan just for this album . I would just ... like it, but that's all.

BUT there's always Jamiroquai live Smile And I know for 100 % that the guys still are amazingly groovy when they get on stage. Even these new songs will rock in the new tour. I'm sure of that.

Seb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 21:03    Reply with quote

Quote:
It doesn't make me feel... happy. Jamiroquai music always makes me feel happy, makes me feel good.

When I listen to RDLS, it makes me feel depressed.

This topic is really full of interesting replies, very personal, very deep on everyone' feelings about the album, it's a real pleasure to read it.

Indeed RDLS is more "dark", more mature. I also felt this lack of spontaneity, happiness, and more calm.
In the recent Taratata french tv show, Jay talked about "being down makes you write your better songs".
As you said, he's now older, 40+, maybe he realized that he was already on the second "half" of his life. We knew him as an angry teenager, revolution (93), saving planet earth, dreamer, lover, space drugs addict.

RDLS is about planet earth future destruction (RDLS), crude sex without any love (fast persuader), wasted time in love stories (Smoke and mirrors, goodbye to my dancer) getting old and losing relatives (never gonna be another). No place for hope or dreams anymore. Destitute Illusions obvious next step ?

The guy has now so much personal experience, went through so many things, so many disappointments (artistically and personal)

He's not a naive teen anymore, so we can't blame him, like a rapper who has became billionaire and doesn't rap anymore about the hood that he doesn't live anymore.

That's maybe why since a few days I'm listening again to AFO test pressing edition, so much hype in it, so much dynamic sounds, the perfect representation of the prosperous and full of splendour period he was living at that time, drugs, girls, success: electro-disco.

That's why I love Jamiroquai, so many different era; different kinds of sound, of moods, but always quality music you can swap according to your own feeling.

Cheers
Seb

mandalin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 23:28    Reply with quote

I like the album. It works well with me as I am going between being reflective and doing things to take a break from being reflective Smile. Lifeline is great. The music has always had a -ness and it still has it's own -ness. You know it when you hear it. I will keep listening to this one too.

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 21:09    Reply with quote

Welcome Mandalin! I don't get the ____-ness? What's missing?

Seb -I agree -we really have some good readings here!

It's funny to focus on how the artist has changed.
But, I know I've changed a lot since first hearing Jamiroquai in 96/97.
I always like music with more depth. Even if it isn't my story.
But to me, Jamiroquai's music will always seem sunny to me. Even RDLS. sunny
I mean, c'mon, Blue Skies is from the darkest place? what the f***
(I just found out where all the other emoticons are!)

teecheedeedee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 08:51    Reply with quote

I agree with a huge amount of what has been said already. This is the best thread to date critiquing RDLS.

For me, it's not just the studio album RDLS that bothers me. It's also the way the band has been pretty useless at showing their appreciation to global fans for the last half decade. If you live in Europe, you're fine. Jamiroquai seems to constantly tour everywhere there. Why they haven't played in other places (apart from maybe South America, can't recall exactly) is completely beyond me. It's frustrating as hell being a fan when the artist never shows up in your neck of the woods.

Also, the cover art of RDLS. Pretty damn vain if you ask me. It shows exactly what Jamiroquai has become; a singer, not a band. Same goes for the last three album covers. I don't regard myself anymore as being a fan of the current "band" by any means.

mandalin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 17:00    Reply with quote

@ HoneyBee- thanks for the welcome. There isn't a blank implied with the compliment. I am meaning 'soul'- personal -ness, soul, quirks, etc. Smile Speaking of California soul was good. Made me happy all day. And today too.

Funk Fiction

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:14    Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the awesome comments! I didn't expect the thread to communicate as well as it has. =]

I was feeling that acid jazz mood tonight and I did some work in my studio. Would love your opinions. I'm thinking it still needs some brass, some Dzire style scrathcing and cutting, and Jay's vocals (I can dream,right? Wink ).

alright

Here it is:

http://rensound.com/portfolio/Audio/Secondary/funk%20up%20tempo.mp3

Here's hoping Jamiroquai gives us an Acid Jazz Renaissance with the next album!

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09    Reply with quote

Funk Fiction wrote:
Thanks everyone for the awesome comments! I didn't expect the thread to communicate as well as it has. =]

I was feeling that acid jazz mood tonight and I did some work in my studio. Would love your opinions. I'm thinking it still needs some brass, some Dzire style scrathcing and cutting, and Jay's vocals (I can dream,right? Wink ).

alright

Here it is:

http://rensound.com/portfolio/Audio/Secondary/funk%20up%20tempo.mp3

Here's hoping Jamiroquai gives us an Acid Jazz Renaissance with the next album!

Are you making an album dude? Because this is awesome!!

Funk Fiction

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 06:58    Reply with quote

At least an EP. It's really tough to gather and record the standard band on top of a percussionist, a horn section (3 people), a strings section (4 - 6 people), etc.

That's actually a very basic small tease of what I have going on but I feel like I should share once there's much more definition and completion to the project.

Thanks for the kind words! =]

robotscantadlib

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 18:43    Reply with quote

I'm actually really tired of people attributing the quality of the new albums to being more 'mature.' They simply aren't as good or fun. They're okay, but missing something in terms of an overall cohesive element and a certain intangible Jamiroquai flavor.

As an exercise, think about which album you'd pick if you could only listen to one for the rest of your life. I guarantee it wouldn't be Dynamite or RDLS. Jamiroquai without Toby isn't Jamiroquai, at least in the studio. Live, they still got it.

ophone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 20:46    Reply with quote

robotscantadlib wrote:
I'm actually really tired of people attributing the quality of the new albums to being more 'mature.' They simply aren't as good or fun. They're okay, but missing something in terms of an overall cohesive element and a certain intangible Jamiroquai flavor.

As an exercise, think about which album you'd pick if you could only listen to one for the rest of your life. I guarantee it wouldn't be Dynamite or RDLS. Jamiroquai without Toby isn't Jamiroquai, at least in the studio. Live, they still got it.

I agree!

cheebalover

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 23:24    Reply with quote

ophone wrote:
robotscantadlib wrote:

I agree!

i agree too!
but still do you think if toby returned that jamiroquai would again have that jamiro vibe? i think not..it was an era and now its gone, and yes they still got it live Wink

robotscantadlib

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 04:53    Reply with quote

Quote:

i agree too!
but still do you think if toby returned that jamiroquai would again have that jamiro vibe? i think not..it was an era and now its gone, and yes they still got it live Wink

It wouldn't be quite the same, but it would have to be much closer to the old feel than the new material. I really started listening deeply to Jamiroquai in 2002 or 2003, so I'm not biased toward the old stuff due to nostalgia, and I had a feeling that the first five albums were united by some sort of common thread vs. the new stuff. Yes, even AFO. I didn't even know Toby left Jamiroquai until I poked around the liner notes of Dynamite. It was an 'ah ha' moment..ah ha, this is why this album is sort of crap.

There are really a combination of factors on why the new stuff sound the way it does, including personnel changes, Jay's voice changing, and using different producers. The old stuff is just way more legit and classic. Dynamite and RDLS are albums that are easily forgotten minus a couple of tracks on each. Their older stuff was solid, inspiring, and invigorating from beginning to end.

To put it succinctly, Toby was to Jay as Rod Temperton & Quincy Jones were to Michael Jackson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: