jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

What do you think of this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Javis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 21:05    Reply with quote

legspinner wrote:
That, quite simply, is why I like it. Issues with cover versions usually lie with the artist just copying the original interpretation with a few token vocal variations, the result is a poor and lazy tribute.

In that point I want to agree with you, although I don't like this version, I'm happy everytime I see a band doing a cover that sounds very different to the original song.

Funk Fiction

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 07:33    Reply with quote

Tiffinypie wrote:
Feelin like the oddball here.
Now I 've heard other people try to sing it like Jay and Fail bigtime. When a clip of someone that Jay PICKED to be apart of Jami and she "took it to church". Yes its bluesy, soulful, gospel-like and its jazzy too. I like it and she put her foot in it. Laughing Her voice is great, its strong it will knock you down. Maybe you guys aren't used to this type of singing , hence this is where funk came from.
Funk Fiction if you are a music head like you claim then you understand me.

I just don't get it many are fans of funk music , but didn't like the way she sang WYGL.

You make some great points. And remember, I even said that she has an amazing voice from an objective standpoint.

I'll elaborate. I've always appreciated music over lyrics/vocals. I used to listen to a lot of hiphop throughout middle school and I'd always vibe with a song if it had a good beat and never cared about what the lyrics were. If the music was good, I'd memorize the lyrics. So essentially music first, vocals second. A lot of the music I've grown up with has been instrumental music. That of course, makes me a minority as most people prefer music with lyrics and is also why ALL pop music comprises vocals.

Jamiroquai has really turned that around for me and as a result, I've developed an immensely large appreciation for lyrics and vocals. You say this is the type of singing/style is where funk came from. You're right only to an extent as it was much more the James Brown style of singing, which had more punch, attitude, bite, and an overall different style of innovation which is much closer to Jay's singing. The bluesy/gospel style made way for certain types of soul and rnb and of course, more modern blues and gospel... but not funk. Again funk is more about attitude, a certain cool or hip factor, rather than emotions being poured out.

Yes, funk is related to the aforementioned genres, but more in the sense of harmony/music theory rather than singing style or performance. Far too often do I hear a super promising house track build up (whether it's disco, funk, or jazz house) only for it to be completely ruined by a wailing diva that drowns out or smothers the rest of the awesome music instead of blending in with it or only mildly being on top of it. The super soulful, gospel, bluesy singing is so over the top and begs for attention that it simply isn't my dig.

If you notice, the notes that Jay sings are rarely sustained for a long time. Most of the notes Jay sings are very short, acute, and punchy. They aren't long, filled with vibrato, or sustained in any way. There are of course exceptions to this, but usually those longer notes are very soft and sweet (i.e. Morning Glory). Plus Jay's voice has a very youthful and rich sound to it and I largely prefer it over Beverly's.

Anyway, I hope that explains the whole me knowing about music and being a fan of funk but not liking Beverly's rendition of WYGL. In the end of the day, it's just my opinion and I appreciate the fact that she's a talented singer. She just needs to sing different songs or if she wants to do a Jamiroquai cover, then sound like you're covering Jamiroquai.

2tilt

Sandriche
Officer & Jamily Coach

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 09:57    Reply with quote

I think her role in Main Vein was just perfect!! Very Happy

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 22:55    Reply with quote

Wow! I agree with Javis & FunkFiction! Again!

When you hear a song you love, covered, the cover is never good enough. But I have to say, her version is unique.

Beverly got some cool style going on. And that style goes great with her voice. She really shows her ability, but seems to throw in too many runs for this type of song, and the vibrato is a bit unfluid (forced?). Ex -"we depend" @ :50. But not to criticize Beverly, just don't like it in this song.

Kinda like how Christina Aguilera recently sang the national anthem. Well, not that bad! Embarassed

But Beverly is a great singer. And she completely changes "WYGL"'s making it original. It just doesn't work for me. In another song, maybe.

And I do know blues, funk and soul. Before I knew Jamiroquai. Very Happy

Poderfunk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 13:39    Reply with quote

I really like the cover! is great.
and i think she's got a beatifull and nice voice.
Covers are covers.
When jamiroquai plays covers, they improve the sound but in other way, no with the original vibe of the song (listen to the differents versions of "sunny" that they've played).
When you play a cover, you put your vibe on it, and that's make the cover much better and almost a new song.
A matter of taste.
hey! thank you for the video!

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 03:56    Reply with quote

So funny -this song sung by Beverly has been playing in my head!

Tiffinypie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 13:18    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
So funny -this song sung by Beverly has been playing in my head!

HAHA Twisted Evil yew like it, admit it.

hihi jk

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 00:11    Reply with quote

Tiffinypie wrote:
Quote:
HAHA yew like it, admit it.

It sounded a bit off my first listen, but it's growing on me. Laughing

Here are some artists with similar styles with runs
En Vogue "Don't Let Love (Go)" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6pnzyfFi9w&feature=related

Freddie Jackson "Rock Me Tonight" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD4_BD2enEA

Jamirocat

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 06:40    Reply with quote

2grouphug Welcome and hi everyone.

I like the tempo of her version, her voice, as well as the music on this version. 2goodvibes sweet and soulful.

HardSmokerI

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 19:57    Reply with quote

Absolutely stunning performance! It is amazing how she is feeling the vibe and the message of this wonderful song. I would love to hear more cover versions like this. Her new album is definitely a no brainer!
Another more unspectacular and for my ears a bit soulles version you can hear from two Swiss guys called 2forsoul: http://www.amazon.com/When-You-Gonna-Learn/dp/B0047XO1SS

Jamirocat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 16:11    Reply with quote

that's the first I've heard that cover, HardSmoker! (well, I just got a sample of it), and the more that song gets heard, the better. (for the lyrics anyway)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Bandmembers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: