jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Derrick's Drum Clinic in Melbourne Jan 4, 2012

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:14    Reply with quote

Derrick's Drum Clinic in Melbourne Jan 4, 2012
This is actually in Cranbourne which is a suburb south-east of Melbourne, way out in the sticks!

Details:
http://au.yamaha.com/en/news_events/musical_instrument/derrick_mckenzie/

Sunnyday

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:43    Reply with quote

Cool! Are you heading there?

Joolz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 03:17    Reply with quote

I was fortunate enough to get along to this awesome night with about 60 other people. Like most masterclasses, Derrick went through the usual of explaining his current setup on stage, why he changed from Sonar to Yamaha and played a couple of tracks from RDLS (Hurtin, She's a Fast Persuader) and did a solo performance of Use the Force.

He was a really great guy, really fun to listen to and very down to earth.

He also let out some interesting information during to class too Smile

1. Hurtin is his favourite track, and it was recorded at 4am after the band was on a night out having a few drinks and I quote, "funny smokes"
Jay didn't like the recording but the band insisted that this was "the one" and so they all went home.

When they returned the next day Jay had completely changed the song and added parts from previous jam sessions. The band, again, just said to Jay to leave it as it was, and that's how it's heard today Smile
Hurtin actually has an additional three minutes at the end of it without Jay, backup singers and horns. It's just the band grooving.

Derrick told us that Jay is "a perfectionist". He wants every song to be as good as possible. In jam sessions, Jay would stop the band after a song and might say, "Lets include that little break we did two weeks ago." Most of the band have no idea which break they did, so Jay would go away and listen to all the previous recordings until he would the one he was talking about.

This is particularly evident in She's a fast persuader. The outro of the song is completely different, and Derrick said that it was actually apart of another tune they wrote. Jay thought it would sound good together, so that's what we got Smile DERRICK ALSO SAID THAT THE OUTRO TO SHE'S A FAST PERSUADER WILL BE FEATURED IN ITS ENTIRETY ON THE NEXT ALBUM.

I was trying to think of questions that the whole Jamiroquai community have been dying to find out over the years, so I asked him this:

"Who's the bass player on the album version of Space Cowboy?..Mr. X"

Derrick gave me a very diplomatic answer (unfortunately Razz ). "The person who knows has left the country (i'm figuring he's talking about Jay), but I can say that he was a Music Producer." I guess that really narrows the list down then *cough*

Derrick also went on to talk about tolerance. It's needed more-so after two years of touring, living with the same people, doing the same thing. Little things can definitely get on your nerves. My friend asked if that was the reason for Stuart's departure. Derrick said that Stu left on his own accord, focusing on his own career. It kinda makes sense that this was the reason too.

Two years of touring
Jay and Stu getting on each other nerves
Stu's heart isn't into it; wants a break
Stu wants to focus on his solo career and baby
Stu leaves, s**t goes down, still wants to sign the publishing rights
Makes Jay angry, Jay scraps album.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Zender era, I love Zender, but I can see how leaving the band at the end of the production process and then wanting to sign the publishing rights would get Jay so angry.

Anyways, I had a lot of fun, got some photos, signature, some inside goss. All round great night.

Oh and to the Australian members on Jamirotalk:

Jamiroquai is currently in discussion with Australian promoters for a tour this year!

edit: I know I don't have any proof this being said (no recording devices). But hopefully, you guys can just take my word for it.

also..wowow long first post Embarassed

Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 04:10    Reply with quote

I was there with a couple of mates too. You forgot he played WKR right at the end to close off the session.

The bit of She's a Fast Persuader he spoke of that is to be on a track in the next album is that crazy free-flowing section from the end of the extended version we've seen him play in that video from a previous clinic thing he did. The one he played for us Wednesday night was that extended version.

I loved how that little kid asked him to play some Latin stuff and he busted out all of UTF. Afterwards he was like "is that Latin enough for ya?" Haha.

Joolz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:00    Reply with quote

That little kid was awesome haha.

Ahh well, all I can do now is wait for this speculated tour.

While I'm an absolutely dead broke student, I don't care how expensive they are, I'm 100% going lol.

Sunnyday

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 18:46    Reply with quote

Woooow, thank you Joolz and Andrew for the inside info! Very Happy
Entertaining to read and it just seems like it's been a great night!

Derrick is such a nice guy really.

Any info on where else they'll be heading this year?
The year is still blank and I'm anxious to know Wink

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 18:38    Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
I was there with a couple of mates too. You forgot he played WKR right at the end to close off the session.

The bit of She's a Fast Persuader he spoke of that is to be on a track in the next album is that crazy free-flowing section from the end of the extended version we've seen him play in that video from a previous clinic thing he did. The one he played for us Wednesday night was that extended version.

I loved how that little kid asked him to play some Latin stuff and he busted out all of UTF. Afterwards he was like "is that Latin enough for ya?" Haha.

Wasn't that one All Good in the Hood?

Andrew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 00:42    Reply with quote

Yep, my bad. Always getting those two mixed up for some reason...

Joolz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 09:05    Reply with quote

Sunnyday wrote:
Woooow, thank you Joolz and Andrew for the inside info! Very Happy
Entertaining to read and it just seems like it's been a great night!

Derrick is such a nice guy really.

Any info on where else they'll be heading this year?
The year is still blank and I'm anxious to know Wink

No he didn't mention any other places. But yes, he is really nice and it was a great night! Smile

John Doggett

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 22:56    Reply with quote

Thank you very much Joolz for these precious informations ! You're great !

Ps: Next time, can you ask him about Symphonized and "the mysterious latin funk song aka Midnight funk" Wink

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 06:22    Reply with quote

Welcome joolz, and thanks for sharing your story!! good

Meike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Bandmembers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: