jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

My own review/experience from Rock in Rio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai Live – 2008
View previous topic :: View next topic  

SweDanFunk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 23:11    Reply with quote

My own review/experience from Rock in Rio
Music as something higher.

Music sometimes takes me higher. Jamiroquai´s Rock in Rio gig was no exception.
Sure sometime you just dig the groove or whatever the song is about.
But when i listened to the Rock in Rio 08 bootleg i remembered how it was
being front row, i was in another place,
i especally think of Travelling Without Moving cause i dont remember anything, i was in another time and place.
First i thought, they cant possibly know how much i love their music...

Being a fan since 2003, Jamiroquai´s music has meant a lot to me.
When i first heard Virtual Insanity on the radio it was anything else i have ever heard before, it was magic.
Strange enough a month later i heard Emergency On Planet Earth and i thought: wow this sounds like that other band, i felt the same magic...
i laughed when it actually was the same band, so i had to check out more of them.
My brother worked as a janitor at Sony so he could gave me some Jamiroquai singles (Perfect!) and actually a signed Little L single (cool!).
I bought one record at a time and playing it over and over and then getting the next...it was like an adventure.
So i just had to see them live...you never know whats going to happen and they hadnt been to Sweden doing a full live gig since 1997 and Jay has joked about the Swedish crowd...
My brother know Spanish so we decided that Rock In Rio was perfect.
So lets jump to THE day, we flew from Stockholm to Madrid 2500 kilmometres to see ONE band, sounds normal to me xD.

We met up with some other fans and took the bus together to Arganda De Ray.
Waited outside the concert area for 4 hours, not a cloud anywhere, but we had an umbrella for the sun...nice!
When they opened the gate we runned to the front of the stage...and that was some marathon...and it was still 6 hours untill Jamiroquai would enter the stage!
But i was actually not front row, i was second row...bah...so my brother asked a girl (who had dressed up as Amy Winehouse, obviously a Amy fan) if it was ok that i got in front row when it was Jamiroquai, and she was really kind so i got front row...whohoo!
Just before the concert i was just hoping for a great concert, i was afraid if i would not think it would be good, did i have too much expectation?
But when they all entred i was in another place.

"Whats this drum beat...not starting with Canned Heat?...what, what was this?? A new song? WAIT...ITS THE KIDS!!
EVERYBODYS TALKING ABOUT KIDS...OOOOO MY FUCKING GOOOOOD, THE KIDS GOT FUNKY SOUL AND GROOVE EMOTION...HAHAHAHAHAH I CANT BELIVE IT THEY ARE PLAYING THE KIDS"
and about that time my voice was destroyed...i jumped up and down like crazy.
As for the review: I dont remember anything...well almost, i high fived Jay from front row...and you yourself probably know how good they are live...
I have heard many people saying: "Wow i cant belive i see Jay in real", but for me it was everything that was unbeliveable to see live...the stage...the lights...the bandmembers, it was a wonderfull experience.
I cant describe how good these musicians are, but i will try to take the best of them...
Jay for going in every song so well, its like he has this button that makes him feel the song and the world around it.
Paul for his awesome bass fills, you cant fake that shit, thats pure love!!
Matt for creating a cool vibe with the keyboard, i remember his rhodes solo had me crying on Love Foolosophy (well maybee anything had me crying that night but it was so beautiful)
Rob for always knowing where to put in his things, that man has an awesome groove that makes me getting goosebumps.
Sola for putting the Iroquai in Jamiroquai, Jamiroquai wouldnt be Jamiroquai without him...
Derrick for being...Derrick.

They cant know how much i love their music...but i think they do, beacuse they are musicians and they themself are fans of other music so they know how it feels to be dragged to that special feeling.
They themself got so inspired that they started to play their instruments...and when you see how Jay is really "going in" for every song you know they trying
to create that feeling in every song.
You feel a higher love, you are getting excited, and its true what they say: music is making the world a better place cause at least im getting more humble and nice.
Ofcourse its not only Jamiroquai that takes me higher, when i first heard Knocks Me Of My Feet by Stevie Wonder, that was my turning point (And i didnt even really listening to the lyrics first!, think i just got his feeling...),
but Jamiroquai is close to my heart.
First i thought: is that really whats music is about? Am im the one being crazy thinking this "new" way?
I was not the one being crazy...i just have never thought of it that way before, i think you all know what i mean.

Even if Jamiroquai inspired me to start picking up the bass i have never thought: THATS what music is about.

Just wanted to share my feelings.
I myself want to create higher experiences as a musician to spread love...

If you that reads this and are a member of Jamiroquai...keep on spreading love.
And if you that reads this and are a human and a member of the world...keep on spreading love.

Heres some photos:

Yes im in the front!:

Just before Jamiroquai would enter the stage, im really nervous Razz:

I thought it was a BAND Wink:

When they started with The Kids, i was in total ecstasy:

Freedom:

When Jay´s in good mood, everyone´s in good mood.

I dont think i sang good since the crew in front of me is laughing haha, but i dont care...Wink:

The Crowd:

Can you look cooler?:

Best bass player in the world, i think he gave me a look at the kids haha, i must have looked really funny, jumping up and down Razz:

Thanks for everyone for the love i felt being there and everyone i met, and Paul, even though we didnt met you are a really cool guy, keeping me inspired on my bass playing!

Sorry everyone for my english, hope i can express my feelings Xp.
Im improving and my dream is to move to London to play in a funk band.

/Daniel

Last edited by SweDanFunk on Sun Aug 03, 2008 23:28; edited 2 times in total

mojogonlopoto
JamilyTree Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 23:18    Reply with quote

I don´t play bass, but I´m agree in everything you are saying here. Wonderful concert, to be remembered, on of the best of the last era, I think.

Hey... who is this idiot?

Posted image has been reduced in size. Size of original image (47805 KB) is 604 x 453 pixels. Click image to view full size and better quality!

Oh...it´s me...

deesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 23:39    Reply with quote

Hey Dan -

Thank you for that great review and the photos. I really dug reading it, especially since this was your first time seeing Jamiroquai and because so many feelings you described we have all felt on our first time.
I really liked how you gave them all individual props and the respect to Paul for inspiration in your own musicianship.

So funny about the singing and the crew in front of you...ahhh, I know my ass can't sing, but I do anyway. I'm even on a bootleg sounded a HOT MESS.

I think it also does something for your independence and free spirit when you do hop on a plane to do something like this.

Your English is fine by the way!

Anyway, thanks again for sharing and although I wasn't there - reviews like this atleast make me feel like I atleast had a droplet of the vibe that day.

Here's to having many more concerts for you (and me..haha)

Deesha

lol mojo!

Jana B

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 17:54    Reply with quote

Daniel, sorry! I read your review just now...amazing! I love these kind of review...with feelings, do you know? It's not only that thing, "in the third music the bass wasn't so good"...blá, blá.
Amazing!

Júlia*

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 18:47    Reply with quote

Re: My own review/experience from Rock in Rio
SweDanFunk wrote:

Freedom:
Posted image has been reduced in size. Size of original image (48139 KB) is 604 x 453 pixels. Click image to view full size and better quality!

wow!

awesome review! Mr. Green
thank you!

www.twitter.com/jupennylane
www.twitter.com/jamiro_brazil

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 20:17    Reply with quote

thank you for this beautiful review! Very Happy

***STONED AGAIN***

SweDanFunk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:56    Reply with quote

jamirokaki wrote:
thank you for this beautiful review! Very Happy

Thank you everyone, i can only tell i wrote it directly from my heart 2optimist

Funkiroquai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 16:31    Reply with quote

SweDanFunk wrote:
Thank you everyone, i can only tell i wrote it directly from my heart 2optimist

Quote:
"Whats this drum beat...not starting with Canned Heat?...what, what was this?? A new song? WAIT...ITS THE KIDS!!
EVERYBODYS TALKING ABOUT KIDS...OOOOO MY FUCKING GOOOOOD, THE KIDS GOT FUNKY SOUL AND GROOVE EMOTION...HAHAHAHAHAH I CANT BELIVE IT THEY ARE PLAYING THE KIDS"
and about that time my voice was destroyed...i jumped up and down like crazy.

That's right, I liked this moment, great expression 5thumbsup The same feeling here Smile

Cosmic Girl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 17:57    Reply with quote

mojogonlopoto wrote:

Hey... who is this idiot?

Posted image has been reduced in size. Size of original image (47805 KB) is 604 x 453 pixels. Click image to view full size and better quality!

Oh...it´s me...

HAHAHAHA..........................

Maybell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 01:31    Reply with quote

jijijijij

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai Live – 2008 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: