jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Rate *Blue Skies*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you like new song BLUE SKIES?
I love it! It's a great song!
17%
 17%  [ 19 ]
Nice one, but I expected something different.
22%
 22%  [ 25 ]
It is ok, but somehow I am dissapointed.
22%
 22%  [ 25 ]
I don't like it.
24%
 24%  [ 27 ]
It is absoultely crap... I am no longer a fan.
9%
 9%  [ 10 ]
I haven't heard it yet...
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 109

Mocha319

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 16:12    Reply with quote

I love it! It's a great song!
Heart 4butterfly 2goodvibes

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 03:21    Reply with quote

This song is sticking in my head. You can't choose this. It just happens!

teecheedeedee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:53    Reply with quote

Tbh I think it's rubbish. I very strongly dislike it, along with the other two songs currently in circulation. There's no real groove to any of them. And honestly, the talk of musical 'evolution' is pretty ridiculous. Moving from fresh jazz-funk organic music to bland, conservative, (still)over-produced pop? That's devolution.

I think from here on in, the divide between oldschool fans and new fans will continue to widen. From a technical perspective, Jay's voice sounds weaker than all the other albums to date, and it seems that the musicians really aren't pushing themselves to do anything other than make a backing track for a singer.

Not impressed.

robotscantadlib

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 20:20    Reply with quote

teecheedeedee wrote:
Tbh I think it's rubbish. I very strongly dislike it, along with the other two songs currently in circulation. There's no real groove to any of them. And honestly, the talk of musical 'evolution' is pretty ridiculous. Moving from fresh jazz-funk organic music to bland, conservative, (still)over-produced pop? That's devolution.

I think from here on in, the divide between oldschool fans and new fans will continue to widen. From a technical perspective, Jay's voice sounds weaker than all the other albums to date, and it seems that the musicians really aren't pushing themselves to do anything other than make a backing track for a singer.

Not impressed.

I agree, except that I think his voice is virtually the same here as on Dynamite, maybe even a little smoother (could be studio 'treatment' though.) The good news is that it hasn't deteriorated in the past five years as opposed to the five years before that, but the bad news is that the limitations on his voice are limiting the melodic qualities of the songs. He's said it himself - the voice has changed and he has to use it differently. Can't be easy to write songs when you hear certain things in your head that you just can't achieve anymore..

It's not a good song from any perspective - songwriting is cheesy, the phrasing and melody is boring, and the production sounds way too processed and predictable. Goes to show that the band is not interchangeable - despite having this set of musicians for the past five years, they still sound like a bunch of session players when recorded in the studio (they clearly still rock live). Nothing signature about it..missing the 'glue.'

Poderfunk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 04:34    Reply with quote

Mmm I don't like it .. but I think it's like Feels just like it should single...
For me dynamite it's a great album but FJLIS is like the worse song (but still like it a little) but blue skies is kind of boring...
Mmmm To me:
Rock dust light star: 6/10 Smile
White knuckle ride: 10/10 Very Happy
Blue skies: 2/10 Confused
:L

SkateCowboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:59    Reply with quote

I wish I could hear this song without those backsingers. The song is not good. But I think they are destroying it. And a better basplayer for this tune thanks... I am not going to mention Stuart Zender.. ooopps. I just did.. But Cmon... Jamiroquai is dead. This is not Jamiroquai.

Guly from Argentina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 13:48    Reply with quote

I've just listened to it once. I need more to have a honest opinion.

jamirrorquai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 17:29    Reply with quote

Ok there seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on this song but for christs sake some of the comments are just laughable,

Jamiroquai isnt dead - the sound is evolving as is has always done, that is what makes it so unique and why it survives in the modern times that shows such as American Idol, the X Factor and loads of others have created.

Jamiroquai are sooooo talented in all aspects of the band from the goals to the past and the previous members helped the sound that was needed at that time.

If for example Jamiroquai didn't change the sound and push the boundaries so much all we would be talking about right now is how the new songs sound so much like the old one and the creativity has gone.

If you want to support a band that to stick to old styles and sounds maybe you should go and become a fan of Oasis.

Me I will stick with the finest musicians who make a different sound for every song. Love it or hate it I will always be a Jamiroquai fan and will always sing or dance to anything they produce because I am a real fan, not just someone who when they dont like something will slate it because it's different.

Winterkat
Moderator & Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 18:07    Reply with quote

jamirrorquai wrote:
Me I will stick with the finest musicians who make a different sound for every song. Love it or hate it I will always be a Jamiroquai fan and will always sing or dance to anything they produce because I am a real fan, not just someone who when they dont like something will slate it because it's different.

In my humble opinion there is a big difference between a ('real') fan and someone who idolizes everything his/her idol does.

A fan is someone who gives his/her honest opinion and never loses sight of the fact that the person whom they are a fan of, is human like anyone else. No two people will ever agree on everything if they are honest enough to admit that. I think it is even admirable when you can appreciate someone eventhough you are aware of their flaws.

Now an idolizer will worship anything their idol throws at them and will never voice a negative opinion. They identify themselves completely with their idol and lose their own voice. There is nothing wrong with looking up to someone and using that in a way that enriches your life and makes you a better person. But there is a fine line that should never be crossed because then things become dangerous and you get situations where a female idolizer attacks another women because she is prettier and got more glances from the idol.

When all you encounter in your life is yeasayers, it is very hard to grow as a person. It is only when you accept that people have different opinions and that every opinion is equal, that you can take a step back from yourself and grow. I am sure that if the members of Jamiroquai would prefer to only have idolizers, Matt would not have refrained from answering Meike's questions. In that case they would have just shrugged off the negative comments and continued as if nothing had happened.

Being one of the people who dared to voice negative thoughts, I feel quite insulted by your statement that I am not a real fan because I don't sing or dance to anything they produce.

I apologize for posting again a long post today Embarassed

Javis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 18:28    Reply with quote

jamirrorquai wrote:

I don't know if that's to be a real fan, but anyway, I wouldn't be that proud to say that... sound stupid to me

jamirrorquai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 19:59    Reply with quote

Winter

you are of course entitled to your thoughts, I would not question your fan status, but hear is my point

Would you buy a ticket to a concert just to see the old songs and leave when they play a new one ? no ! you will do what most others will do which is learn the words to the new songs and sing and dance to them like everyone else.

The negative comments about this song are unfounded, it is a beautiful song and if any other artist released it i bet it would have other comments.

As someone who came to the Jamiroquai party late (damn guns n roses and metallica) I have only been a fan for about 5 years but as i am now a fan i will always be a fan til i die. Shame most people dont see it that way Sad

russky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 20:28    Reply with quote

i think the main gripe with this track is that it is not what the band said they were striving for when leaving the last record contract. It seems to sound like alot of 'pop' songs in a few peoples opinion & in the majority of peoples views is definately not a track to lead the album with.

However, it does have a place on the album & most fans will never like the whole album for example - Deeper Underground? Now most people who know me on here will appreciate that i walk off when this is played as it's one that i have never liked & in my opinion shouldn't be an encore song anymore.

Am i not a true fan Question

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 20:35    Reply with quote

russky wrote:
Deeper Underground? s it's one that i have never liked & in my opinion shouldn't be an encore song anymore.

+1

jamirrorquai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 21:51    Reply with quote

I see your point here

But you walk off at the end of the concert, would you walk off ig it were say the first or second song ?

And I totally agree that this is not the song to lead the album with, I think imho that is why White Knickle Ride has been promo'd

I also agree that this song has a place on the album, and that as stated it is not where the band want to be, but after being away for over 5 years they need to appeal to a younger audience who have no idea who they are or what they have done, and this song is very very radio friendly.

universal will need to see a return on its investment for the band to secure more albums and to do that they need to appeal to the young people of today, not just the ones who have been fans for ages and who will criticise the first release with sayings such as Jamiroquai is dead etc etc.

Winterkat
Moderator & Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 08:35    Reply with quote

jamirrorquai wrote:
Would you buy a ticket to a concert just to see the old songs and leave when they play a new one ? no ! you will do what most others will do which is learn the words to the new songs and sing and dance to them like everyone else.

You obviously don't know me. I don't mean that in a bad way, just stating it as a fact. I have very strong opinions and I am a headstrong person. At the same time I am extremely openminded and I love the fact that everyone is different. I respect everyone's opinions. But in the end I make my own decisions and it is very hard for them to get changed. You may wonder why I am telling you this... I hate FJLIS, always have, always will. If they would play this song at a gig I will not go all 'woohoooo' and pretend I love that song. I will wait for it to pass and a better song to come along. I will not leave the concert because of this one song but I will not learn the lyrics by heart, sing along and dance to it. If I don't like it, I don't like it period. Now it is very likely with Jamiroquai that their live version is 'nothing' like the album one. If this happens and I am feeling the different vibe of the song, I will dance along and show I am enjoying the song. I would like to stress once more that it is okay not to like everything someone does, yet still consider yourself a fan, and even a real fan at that. And I understand that there is an audience for FJLIS and they have every right to hear that song played at a concert. I will not start moping because they played a song I don't like.

I have been a huge fan of The Rolling Stones my entire life. I went to 3 of their concerts and enjoyed them to the fullest. I don't like their new material and will not buy it, nor pretend I love it, nor go all crazy when they perform it. Does this mean I am wasting my money when I go see them?

jamirrorquai wrote:
The negative comments about this song are unfounded, it is a beautiful song and if any other artist released it i bet it would have other comments.

I will be extremely honest about this. If anyone else had released this song I would not have given it another listen. But it is a Jamiroquai song and I need to give it a fair chance before dissing it. I listen to it once a day now before going to bed (I can't get over it making me so drowzy) and I enjoy it at that moment of the day.

russky wrote:
i think the main gripe with this track is that it is not what the band said they were striving for when leaving the last record contract. It seems to sound like alot of 'pop' songs in a few peoples opinion & in the majority of peoples views is definately not a track to lead the album with.

Right on the money Wink

jamirrorquai wrote:
universal will need to see a return on its investment for the band to secure more albums and to do that they need to appeal to the young people of today

The young people you are referring to are not the ones who have the ability to spend a lot of money on a 'hobby'. It's the people in their late 20s and 30s who have the money, time and willingness to spend a lot of money on music they love by buying albums, attending concerts etc. And what do you know... that's the existing fanbase!
The young people you refer to are the ones who don't understand why you would buy an album... let alone a single (*shock*) if you can download it for free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: