jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Jamiroquai only for girls and gays?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Javis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 16:27    Reply with quote

it's not offensive because their are putting me as gay, it's offensive simply because it's not cool to judge people for their music taste it happen all the time and I just got tired of that.

no problem with gay ppl, I have many gay and lesbian friends and I love to spend time with them.

men, this shit got me really angry Mad

CosmicMouse
Jamirotalk mum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 16:46    Reply with quote

Come on Javis, Tanja has not offended you! She even said that it was not her intention to offend anyone.
She is just wondering about a theory a friend of her has made. And she is asking, if we think, it might be true.

She is NOT saying, "all male jamiroquai fans are gay"

Please read again her first posting carfully!

So, and just imagine, if she DID say this sentence to you "all male jamiroquai fans are gay" I guess you WOULD be offended. But that is YOUR decicion, because as you say, being gay is nothing bad.

I imagine, if someone said to me: Hey Meike, you are lesbian, (what I am not at all), I would smile and say: no, I am not. But maybe I should be, because I am missing out something. Wink

Why would it be offensive??? I don't see it. And Tanja has contacted me through PM and is very sad because she just wanted to discuss this theory, nothing more, nothing less. She doesn't want to offend anyone.

To contibute to her question, I can only make a guess.... I know a few gay people here in the forum, I know a lot of musicians here in the forum and I know a lot of girls here in the forum... BUT I also know a big percentage of boys who are straight here on the forum. But not everyone told me his sexual preferences, so how can I know for sure? Wink
I think, it is a quite balanced mixture.

Javis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 16:58    Reply with quote

ok, I'm sorry for react this way.

is just that , as I said, I have many gay friends and I just hate people to make preconceptions of how gay ppl is.

but you're right, Tanya didn't want to offend anybody.

funkmaster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 17:03    Reply with quote

Quote:
because everyone else think the same, so, you have only to say sorry and GTFO

This is not true, sorry. I don't think the same way.

Come on folks, let's not drive this any further. I also can't see anything offensive in the initial post.
Quote:
it's not cool to judge people for their music taste

Nobody has judged anybody - particularly not you personally, Javis.
Your problem is just, that you've constructed a causal relationship where none exists!

Look, today we have Tuesday and today we have a rainy day (at least here at our place) - but that does not mean, that every Tuesday is a rainy day. However, should we come to the insight, that e.g. 65% of all Tuesdays are rainy, then you can draw two possible conclusions from it:
1. If this percentage is higher, than the percentage for other days like Wednesdays or Fridays, you have a significant difference between the various days of the week. This would be really interesting Smile
2. If all days of the week have similar chances of being rainy, you know that it has nothing to do with the Tuesday.

BUT, never ever you should construct the causal relationship between the two criteria and "judge" the Tuesday bei saying: ALL Tuesdays are rainy. This would not be logical!

Thus, nothing offensive. Everything fine. No need to be annoyed.

If you are really interested in the figures and percentages, we could do an anonymous poll on that subject. This could read as follows:
[ ] I am femal or gay and/or a musician
[ ] I am male an neither gay nor a musician

How about that? Smile

Regards,
Miran

Javis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 17:18    Reply with quote

I don't like labels, I don't think we should do somethink like that to determinate "most of the jamiroquai fans are gays".

We are not straight, not gay or lesbian. We are just people with an excelent music taste Razz

jamirokaki
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 21:45    Reply with quote

well in my case, most of my male friends like jamiroquai (not any of them as much as i do but they like it. and they are not gay, but lot of them are musicians. in the case of the girls, they also like it...
around me lots of people like jamiroquai (in the last years, maybe since 2001 or so, earlier it was not well known by most people)

-i don't see jamiroquai as specially a "gay people" band (as an icon) as some other can be (scissor sisters? boney m? village people? Rolling Eyes ) but i know lots of gay men that like it.
-many musicians like jamiroquai because they always had great musicians in the band (derrick, sola, stu...) and they make proper good music.
-same happens for people (men,women, gay, straight...) who are not musicians but are music lovers (
-as for the girls, it's a fact that at least in my enviroment they use to like some band because they like the frontman, the singer or any of the star on it, and i'm not speaking musically, same can happen, in this case with gay men.

i won't say jamiroquai is for girls,gays and musicians, but it's sure that many of them (i'm not in any of this "labels") like them.
i don't feel this thing offensive for me, but i do feel it so silly and ignorant. in other hand i think it can be offensive for gays and girls because it pretends that some kind of music is made for them as if they were from other planet or something.
musicians are so nothing wrong with it Razz

***STONED AGAIN***

fUnK[iLo]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 01:14    Reply with quote

Well, in my group of friends (except those I've met thanks to Jamiroquai) there is only one girl apart from me that likes the band. The rest don't like it at all. And I don't have any male friends that like JMQ (again, except the ones I met here). I guess it is because they only listen to music on the radio or at the discos, and that's all they know, and they are not interested in knowing about more artists!

On the other hand, I know some musicians and they all like Jamiroquai. some are fans, some not, but they all admit their music is great Very Happy

I really know this little Corner of the Earth it smiles at me...

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 19:22    Reply with quote

Hahaha! Jamiroquai only for Girls, & Gays (and musicians)! Well that's a stereotype!
(I think people say this because some think Jay is gay.)
Okay, so the offended ones are the guys, because this reference insinuates they're gay!

The conversations here are just sometimes hilarious! Laughing Laughing

C'mon -stereotypes are never right. A guy doesn't need to be gay to like Jamiroquai! And a proper poll would be pointless unless you polled the entire JMQ-liking population! But CosmicMouse is right -if one straight guy says he likes Jamiroquai, the theory's wrong!

I think Jay's music is comparable to Smokey Robinson.
I love Smokey (but I'm a girl!) Wink

Sandriche
Officer & Jamily Coach

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 23:19    Reply with quote

Most of the people that I know (outside the jamily) who like Jamiroquai are musicians ( who are like really into it), musicians+gay, a few girls and a few guys.
I got introduced to jamiroquai by a gay friend and I will thank him forever Wink Very Happy
a statistic would be interesting..but if you think of a concert like live in verona and look at the crowd I think we can very safely say that there are men and women ,gay and straight, musicians and non musicians.
but the percentage is hard to say.

I don´t think the topic is silly .I couldn´t find one statement in tanjas post that was in any way offending.

Gonza-Arg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 01:21    Reply with quote

....a wise man once sang "Preconceptions, it's eternal human infection"

Poderfunk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 04:02    Reply with quote

xD this topic is funny!
but like someone said, in verona you can see gays! hahah and I think that you can see many of them Shocked
but I still think that Jamiroquai is for anyone! not only for girls and gays xD

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 04:12    Reply with quote

Should I dare say, I think the preconception is that Jay is gay.
(oops I think I already said it! Doesn't matter to me, and not saying he is!)

teecheedeedee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 05:22    Reply with quote

I believe this conception comes largely due to the fact the Jay is a very well dressed, stylish man, and he is the posterboy of the band. Essentially this gets warped into a kind of gay mentallity

Musicians are definitely more likely to like Jamiroquai though (in my experience), particularly those who play bass or drums, and who have trained at jazz school etc.

This is not offensive in the least. It's a topic for discussion, no intellectual person would make the case that men who like jamiroquai are gay. I have absolutely no idea why this has caused offense.

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 15:23    Reply with quote

Teecheedeedee wrote:
Quote:
I believe this conception comes largely due to the fact the Jay is a very well dressed, stylish man, and he is the posterboy of the band. Essentially this gets warped into a kind of gay mentallity

Hmmm, I think he has had so many styles over the years (Native wear, urban wear and headwear...) , before the current well-dressed style.

I think his style dancing defines how he is perceived. And (unfortunately) where I'm from, the men don't express too much on the dance floor! Laughing The masculinity expectations are different here. But that isn't saying male artists that dance aren't appreciated.

And definitely agree:
Quote:
Musicians are definitely more likely to like Jamiroquai ...(for) those who play bass or drums, and who have trained at jazz school etc.

Musicians and Dancers really appreciate Jamiroquai!

Snorry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 18:56    Reply with quote

4 of my ex girlfriends found Jay Kay´s dancing very gay.

I mean REALLY gay Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiro-Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: