jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

RDLS - My Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Elvishmaid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 19:50    Reply with quote

I agree that the songs from the new album sound much better live.
I don't really know why.

I like RDLS but it lacks the groove the former albums had. It's more predictable rock stuff. Again the songs gain in live performances.
Smoke and mirrors is one of my favorites.

I wish Jamiroquai did more cross over things like "Do you know where you're coming from"-it was a sort of unique.

Am I the only who thinks that Jay is maybe more interested in cars than music these days??

John Doggett

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:21    Reply with quote

Rock Dust Light Star is the best Jamiroquai's album since Synkronized.

I got a deep respect and admiration to Toby Smith work! But don't be unfair: Matt Johnson's playing is brilliant (especially in live!!)

A funk Odyssey showed the lack of inspiration of Toby and Jay: find one track as good as She's a Fast Persuader? There's is no cohesive element!
while RDLS got this subtle cohesion.

Don't forget: only time can reveal the album's values...

Seb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 13:14    Reply with quote

John Doggett wrote:

A funk Odyssey showed the lack of inspiration of Toby and Jay: find one track as good as She's a Fast Persuader? There's is no cohesive element!

No offense, bu are you joking or trolling mate?
AFO is a concept album, about space and funk, inspired by/tribute to 2001 space odyssey (album was released in 2001) mixed with Marvin Gaye "interplanetary funky ship space"-like lyrics.

http://lyrics.wikia.com/Marvin_Gaye:A_Funky_Space_Reincarnation

You can't say there's "no cohesion".
It's even more obvious if you heard the interludes tracks from the test pressing edition.

Cheers
Seb

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 03:47    Reply with quote

I would never say which album is the best from Jamiroquai. Because for me, I'm not sure, actually. I think it depends on my mood.

I do think that the cohesion of the group changed, and probably caused first Stu to leave, then Toby. (Maybe before Van Gelder? & others). And the times and new members change the music.

And now Marvin Gaye. A prime example of a single artist who had changed and grown over the years. It was inevitable and evident in his music how the times had changed. What was he gonna do, sing Motown forever? Laughing

Arrow Seb -thanks for the MG reference to a song from 'Here, My Dear'. An album I believe I read as Jay's favorite MG album. And funny, I think Why? -it never made commercial success. It was written for his ex-wife (the divorce settlement was a future designated album's proceeds granted to her), and I think it was believed he deliberately sabotaged the style. However still expressive, he'd probably created a masterpiece of sincerity (that I still don't fully appreciate) about love, divorce and places of escape. And just possibly a huge influence on Jamiroquai, and AFO. Marvin was a bit out in space at that time!

And well, AFO has its redeeming qualities. Just not everybody will appreciate them, just as some won't see the qualities in 'Here, My Dear'.

Time to listen to "Here, My Dear" again. angel

jahmorican

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 19:21    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
Marvin was a bit out in space at that time!

Heh heh...yep.

Propers to you for knowing some history behind that. Commercial success or not, Here My Dear is one of the greatest breakup albums ever. (And yes, I believe there are enough concept albums like that for 'breakup albums' to be given their own category).

I respect what everybody has said about RLDS, and I agree that it does have a different vibe about it compared to any other album in the JMQ canon. I still love it, though. I love the live sound. Overall it doesn't have the groove that the band had from '94-'97, but that's because it is an entirely different band (save for Jay and Derrick). I'd be bloody well bored if they made the same recycled grooves over and over again- and as 'derivative' as some have said that JMQ sounds, I don't feel like they've ever done that.

I just believe that with the bands I love the most, regardless of what I think their 'golden' periods are or were, I deserve to give every piece of new music its proper place. There are a couple of songs on RLDS that aren't favorites of mine, sure- but with me, that's true for every JMQ album.

On a partially related note- I've turned my son on to JMQ, too. (He just turned seven a few weeks ago). Either White Knuckle Ride or All Good in the Hood have replaced Dynamite as his favorite JMQ songs (he can't decide)- although he's a huge fan of Little L, also. Wink

-Alex

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 18:06    Reply with quote

Oh, thanks jahmorican.

Jahmorican wrote:
Quote:
I just believe that with the bands I love the most, regardless of what I think their 'golden' periods are or were, I deserve to give every piece of new music its proper place. There are a couple of songs on RLDS that aren't favorites of mine, sure- but with me, that's true for every JMQ album.

I totally agree Mr. Green

And yes, my almost 4 year old loves Jamiroquai, and even knows a lot of the lyrics.

John Doggett

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 14:04    Reply with quote

Seb wrote:
John Doggett wrote:

No offense, bu are you joking or trolling mate?
AFO is a concept album, about space and funk, inspired by/tribute to 2001 space odyssey (album was released in 2001) mixed with Marvin Gaye "interplanetary funky ship space"-like lyrics.
You can't say there's "no cohesion".
It's even more obvious if you heard the interludes tracks from the test pressing edition.
Cheers
Seb

2001: A Funk Odyssey (Test Pressing Edition) is a true concept album with these cosmical vibes indeed!
You quote the Here My Dear album which is one of my favourite, and the relation between A" FunkySpace Reincarnation" and some tracks like Feel so good, You Give me something,Main Vein, and Do it Like we used to do is obvious.
However, in the final version, I think this atmosphere is broken with Corner of the earth and love foolosphy: I don't see/hear any cosmical vibes in these tracks; by the way Love foolosophy doesn't feature on the original album!You have to wait with Stop Don't Panic to feel again these vibes.
Don't misuderstanding: AFO is a good album. But there's a lack of groove in final release (Do it Like we used to should have be on the regular track!!) and the missing of the interludes break the cohesion.
I've said the lack of inspiration between of the big place of synthetic drums, the big missing of horns, the lack of solo, the repetitive tempo of most of the tracks and the general impression of cold synthetic sound! A Funk Odyssey is the perfect opposite of the Emergency On Planet earth! (Both begin with these wind sound)In order to finish.
With real drums, with horns, with more bass and all the tracks, AFO should be the best Jamiroquai'album.
It's "only" a pretty good album... Wink

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 17:13    Reply with quote

Is the song "Do it like we used to" only available on the original test pressing of AFO?

I found this version 8:07 long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=432Vm3DUJIM

And yes "Corner of the Earth" does break up the album. Never liked it where it is placed!

Sandriche
Officer & Jamily Coach

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 22:37    Reply with quote

I haven´t heard that one in ages...I nearly forgot about it Shocked
fantastich track!

Tiffinypie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 00:25    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
Is the song "Do it like we used to" only available on the original test pressing of AFO?

yes , such an odd song to me , but I like it.

Tiffinypie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 00:31    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:

I think it's An Online Odyssey, such an odd song to me , but I like it.

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 02:49    Reply with quote

Tiffinypie wrote:
HoneyBee wrote:

I think it's An Online Odyssey, such an odd song to me , but I like it.

Snooze You Lose is available on An Online Odyssey. DILWUTD is available on The special Asian Tour edition along with Everybody's Going To The Moon. It's also available on the Japan and the Australian Limited edition as well.

You can also get that song on a special single release of YGMS, which has a bunch of vids on it as well.

Discogs has all the info if you're interested. Lastly, that youtube video's length is stretched out by silence. The correct length of the song is 7:35.

Seb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 06:19    Reply with quote

Test pressing edition+EGTTM =AFO définitive version IMHO.

John Doggett

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 23:29    Reply with quote

Seb wrote:

100% agree! Everybody's going to the moon got that Funk Odyssey vibes! I can't understand why it doesn't feature on the regular album too!
But somebody knows what's the story of Love Foolosophy which doesn't feature on the Test Pressing Edition?

FunkyVibes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 00:58    Reply with quote

John Doggett wrote:
Seb wrote:

100% agree! Everybody's going to the moon got that Funk Odyssey vibes! I can't understand why it doesn't feature on the regular album too!
But somebody knows what's the story of Love Foolosophy which doesn't feature on the Test Pressing Edition?

I can't recall the source, but I remember reading that the band had created five different versions of Love Foolosophy (I think) and they hadn't decided on which version to go with, so it wasn't included on the test pressing. And then of course, the other tracks, A Funk Odyssey, Cannabliss, and So Good To Feel Real were never finished in time for the album, although the demo version of SGTFR is hidden on the retail album.

I also don't understand why the title track, Synkronized, was never included on Synk. In the interview with Al Stone, he indicated that it was finished along with the other tracks. Maybe it used samples that were never approved?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> New Album *Rock Dust Light Star* All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: