jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

New Jamiroquai Video
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Curry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 00:43    Reply with quote

SkillipEvolver wrote:
-final question--- two drones (meant to be Spaceships?) Come to greet him at the end of the video. --do they have different destinations? ---and then jay walks away not wanting any of it ----has the programming taken over? Sad is that the statement?

That part reminds me of the movie, Artificial Intelligence (A.I.), where Haley Joel Osment's character is trying to get away from Flesh Fair.

def.con.1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 18:56    Reply with quote

I think there's a bit of over-analysis going on here. I don't think the video is meant to be absolutely cohesive, but rather draw from a lot of common sci-fi concepts. The concepts of nuclear annihilation, aliens (and "alienation"), robots, AI, and evil scientists etc. are pretty common since the 1960's (David Bowie etc.).

The final scene in the "Automaton" video is an obvious reference to Jamiroquai's past. Just a bunch of discarded items and callbacks. Jay Kay's character looks at them with mild curiosity, maybe even disdain (judging form the way he carelessly drops the satellite dish). The character represents "Jamiroquai 2.0", aware of the past but looking to the future.

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned in these threads before, but the High Times compilation cover art makes a similar statement with Jay Kay's headgear. It's a callback to the final scene of the original Planet of the Apes film, where the characters stumble upon the Statue of Liberty on the beach (which coincidentally wears a similar pointy/spiked hat or crown). In that film, the statue is a relic (once epic in symbolism) from a previous era before nuclear annihilation. It all ties into themes Jamiroquai has touched on since its inception with "When You Gonna Learn" and "Emergency on Planet Earth." For such a fun band, "doom" is a constant theme.

I guess the message is, enjoy life while you can because it's short.

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 19:01    Reply with quote

Interesting. I never noticed the Planet of the Apes reference.
For me, the cover of the High Times Singles symbolized the end of an era. Like, a long voyage at sea and finally arriving to land.

def.con.1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 19:32    Reply with quote

Dye wrote:
Interesting. I never noticed the Planet of the Apes reference.
For me, the cover of the High Times Singles symbolized the end of an era. Like, a long voyage at sea and finally arriving to land.

Yeah, it was always pretty obvious to me. Especially because both images depict very similar rocky beaches, rather than idyllic tropical beaches.

Both images do symbolize the end of an era. The tragic end of an era. In Planet of the Apes it shows man's hubris, once capable of building beautiful monuments to lofty ideals like "liberty" but ultimately annihilating itself through technological/nuclear destruction.

Somewhat sad and unnerving, also showing a certain sense of sly self-awareness on Jay Kay and the band's part. They were constantly written off as the band with the guy with the "hat". Usually, when a band puts out a "greatest hits" or "best of" album the band is basically admitting that it has already reached its pinnacle and the world has passed it by. The album is sort of a summary of the band, released for posterity. In this case, all that remains is the "hat" itself.

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 22:02    Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by HoneyBee on Tue Jun 06, 2017 16:49; edited 1 time in total

mr.az

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 03:17    Reply with quote

Jay was telling us that he still remember how all started, but this is a new era for him(and the band)
AFO=AUTOMATON

def.con.1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 22:31    Reply with quote

mr.az wrote:
Jay was telling us that he still remember how all started, but this is a new era for him(and the band)

This.

zeioIIDX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 04:29    Reply with quote

mr.az wrote:

This is what I gathered from it too. I took it as him sort of reminiscing and longing for those past days of starting up Jamiroquai and how things used to be. The old band mates, the gigs, those original jam sessions for older albums, the feeling of gaining fame and recognition, etc. And of course probably also just the fact that Jamiroquai had a different sound and mainly used nothing but real instruments for that jazzy/funky sound. It's like during the time the band has been on a hiatus, the world has just sped by at a rapid pace. As a middle-aged man in this era, he must feel out of place in a way with how quickly technology, especially the internet and social networking, has taken off as well as how addicted people are to it.

I'm only 30 and I've already felt this way for a long time now. I look at my 7 year old and think, "Wow...she is growing up already knowing how to use touch screens, computers, ebooks, cell phones, the internet, CDs/DVDs/Blurays, and she has grown up playing advanced 3D video games." She's got access to streaming services like YouTube and Netflix. Meanwhile, I grew up with an NES, VHS tapes, cassettes, writing letters to people, board games, paperback books, playing outside with friends and exploring the neighborhood, landline phones, etc. I realize that technology advances and there is no getting around that. It's just surreal to think about though when I look at the things my daughter and the younger generation just know and take for granted while for me, obviously things were not where they are today as far as the convenience of technology.

I deactivated my Facebook two months ago and people freaked out like "What happened to you? Are you okay? Why did you delete your profile?" As if I'm a weirdo, an outcast, or like there just has to be a problem because I chose not to have something that everybody has. Don't get me wrong, I love technology, I'm a geek. I build computers as a hobby and I'm a full-time web developer. I stay up to date on gadgets and science advancements. I just think that at some point, as a species, we are going to just become so dependent on technology that we become lethargic and lazy to the point of no return.

But I digress! New Jamiroquai album on the way lol. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album, I'm excited as heck.

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 16:15    Reply with quote

zeioIIDX wrote:

I deactivated my Facebook two months ago and people freaked out like "What happened to you? Are you okay? Why did you delete your profile?" As if I'm a weirdo, an outcast

Social media can be scary!

Last edited by HoneyBee on Thu Feb 16, 2017 16:44; edited 2 times in total

SkillipEvolver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 18:37    Reply with quote

Yeah it is kinda surreal sometimes..

Have u ever been looking up reviews on YouTube and then suddenly a junior pops up with a young voice, it's crazy!

But ya know? It's ok , I mean no offense to you or your daughter. It's just another form of 'presentation' which they have these days.

www.youtube.com/SkillipEvolver
Www.soundcloud.com/SkillipEvolver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: