jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

New album: Automaton
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 59, 60, 61  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

zeioIIDX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 15:50    Reply with quote

Downloaded Spotify, used a VPN to change my IP location from US to AUS, and was able to listen to the album version of Cloud 9. Really digging this track, it's almost like a mix between Smile and Little L in a way. March 31st is so far away! If there's a video for Cloud 9, I wonder what it will look like!

grevatious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 15:56    Reply with quote

def.con.1 wrote:
Javis wrote:
iranterres wrote:
A better effort than the previous single.

I completely disagree.

Being so experienced in funk music, making a funky track is much easier for them than going through a different direction.

Cloud 9 sound good, but has nothing new and there are no surprises. It's a safe place for them.

I can feel much more effort put on the first single, Automaton is disruptive and catchy, and might not be well received by all the fans, but the numbers show the track is doing well and is generally well received.

Agreed. People's preference for "Automaton" vs "Cloud 9" seems like a general indicator of what kind of fan they are. I think people who favor "Cloud 9" are happier when the band stays within a certain framework. That's fine, but I prefer when bands progress and experiment a bit. "Cloud 9" is a bit safe and well within what Jamiroquai have done for many years.

Well I consider myself a fan, but I'm not a fan of the songs, I'm fan of Jay, Derrick, Paul, Rob, Sola and Matt as musicians, so I always give every song a chance and try to appreciate them by what the band tries to express through them.

I find Automaton to be different but then again, the sound of Jamiroquai has been different in every album, that is one of the things I love about the band!. It is not a pop song but it is catchy and really well composed!

Now, it is true that Cloud 9 stands a little on the safe side but it does not mean it is a bad song! I find it really good though I think is lacking some punch to it, something that makes it a little different from the rest, but it certainly is a song that is going to be enjoyed by a wider audience! And I expect the reviewers to compare it to Bruno Mars or Daft Punk just because of the synth sounds.

Overall I'm really happy with the the album so far! I've already pre ordered it so I guess we will have to wait a bit to really have a complete taste of Jamiroquai's return!

**I'M AUTOMATON**

funkyette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 16:36    Reply with quote

2cloud9 is giving me beach vibes while currently going through a snow storm

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 16:38    Reply with quote

zeioIIDX wrote:
I just have to say, I LOVE the tone of Cloud 9. It's a nice departure from things like Where Do We Go From Here? and Little L, I mean lyrically. I love how this time Jay is saying "You know what? Screw you. I'm much too good for you anyway so go ahead and turn your back on me and walk away." He's saying he realizes this woman isn't right for him and instead of trying to fight to stay with someone who isn't compatible with him, he's over it already. Gonna go find a new woman who will appreciate him and not play silly head games or use him for his fame and fortune. Laughing

I especially love the timing of this track's release because lately, I've been having such terrible luck with women using me, taking advantage of me, and just messing with my heart in horrible ways Sad So I needed this sort of pick-me-up and affirmation that you know what? It's not my loss, it's theirs Wink I'll find someone better instead of sulking around being depressed.

haha! yes! there are better women out there Wink

I love the intro and the snippet, but how do you have the lyrics?
Can you guys hear the entire song?
What I hear I love! bumpin' heart

djbuffaloman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 16:38    Reply with quote

Cloud 9 Totally influenced by Sister Sledge's He's the greatest dancer

Last edited by djbuffaloman on Thu Feb 09, 2017 16:41; edited 1 time in total

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 16:41    Reply with quote

djbuffaloman wrote:
CLOUD9 Totally influenced by Sister Sledge's He's the greatest dancer

yes!

funkyette:
Quote:
2cloud9 is giving me beach vibes while currently going through a snow storm

yeah!

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 17:28    Reply with quote

Is it too early to say that it looks like the production and the sound quality is much closer to Synkronized? I like the way each instrument is clearly audible, specially in Cloud 9.

robotscantadlib

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 19:06    Reply with quote

I actually think Automaton is a much better and cooler song. This doesn't bring anything new to the soft disco-funk table. Had everyone and their mom not been producing similar, more daring tracks the past few years (Bruno Mars comes to mind) with better vocal performances, this might be ok. This is like a throwaway or bonus track on any pre-RDLS Jamiroquai album. There's nothing about this that screams Jamiroquai other than Jay's vocals. It could be any song playing at Zara.

Insipid and uninspired, songwriting and production-wise. I don't understand why they went in-house with Matt Johnson vs. any number of younger, fresher producers who are in touch with today's sound and could tap into the talent of the band. The guy just doesn't have 'the touch.'

Jay's inability to do the vocal gymnastics of the past has really limited the way the songs come out, as he can't melodically ride complex harmonies as well. Let's hope some of the deeper cuts are a proper return to form.

def.con.1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 19:26    Reply with quote

Too early to tell for sure but, based on the songwriting, instrumentation, and production of "Automaton" and "Cloud 9" it looks like Daft Punk and Mark Ronson's most recent albums ("RAM" and "Uptown Special" respectively) are big touchstones for the new Jamiroquai material.

I'm not just talking about that obvious electro and disco influences, but the smooth, pristine, almost "yacht rock" Michael McDonald sort of sound Daft Punk and Ronson mined on their previous albums.

SkyHigh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 19:27    Reply with quote

I love "Cloud 9".....it has that unmistakable Jamiroquai funk sound.If this song and the title track are any indication,it looks like Jamiroquai have created a strong,satisfying album.I'm ecstatic!

JamiroFan2000
Correspondent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 19:49    Reply with quote

Man I gotta hear the album versions of this dang it! Anyway, based off a couple listens off the radio debuts, "Cloud 9" is a nice little summery ditty, the summer vibes of "Smiles" meets a more sub-dued "Love Foolosophy". The shimmering chorus and Rob Harris twinkling guitar licks really wrap "Cloud 9" up in a nice little sun-kissed bow. This is a perfect summer song, a solid track! Smile

Vintage73

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 19:49    Reply with quote

Chorus
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrwmnd7b7yM

JamiroFan2000
Correspondent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 20:11    Reply with quote

Cloud 9 Lyrics By Zeio (From His Comment On r/Jamiroquai):

You pick me up then you put me down.

Can't seem to find my way around ya.

See what ya think when you don't think it now.

You lost my love but someone found it.

And now when the rain falls upon my head,

I don't think of you ah-much at all.

Just one thing seemed to make you care.

Who's going to drive and take you home?

Only a fool could walk away from me this time.

I look up to Heaven, every star I see is mine.

I'm walking on air and every cloud is Cloud 9.

You get your kicks playin' stupid tricks.

But I've found another crush. You've got me now.

Game, set, and match. Don't seem to be no catch.

I don't think she'll drive me to the wall.

Ooh, we go out at night

And the world starts feelin' right.

And she don't care about Hollywood.

I know you don't believe it.

But this time I really mean it.

I hope it's clearly understood.

I'm not the one, the one for you.

Can't change it baby.

I know it baby.

Can't change it baby.

Only a fool could walk away from me this time, yeah.

def.con.1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 20:14    Reply with quote

Full track stream on YouTube (unofficial, so might not be up for long):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=283flRfdwNE

Edit: (no, it's been taken down now, but still cached on my machine so I've got that on repeat now)

Curry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 20:18    Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Naysayers never die. Nothing ever makes you guys happy.

I love both songs. And from one analytic mind to another, you kill the song when you cherrypick it to death.

Just step back and chill. Enjoy life with a good song.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 25 of 61

Jump to: