jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

New album: Automaton
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 59, 60, 61  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 13:46    Reply with quote

grevatious wrote:

Well, You have to define "gone". Incognito, Brand New Heavies and James Taylor Quartet are Still jazzing it up! I don't think acid jazz is dead. I believe it has changed, evolved.

I mean the movement is not as prominent as it was in the early 90's.

grevatious

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 14:16    Reply with quote

zeioIIDX wrote:

Songs I skip when listening to the albums in full:

EoPE - Hooked Up, Whatever It Is, I Just Can't Stop
RoTSC - Light Years (I only like the funky sections)
TWM - Drifting Along, Didjerama
Synkronized - Black Capricorn Day, Destitute Illusions
AFO - Stop Don't Panic, Twenty Zero One
Dynamite - FJLIS (sometimes), World That He Wants, Hot Tequila Brown
RDLS - Hurtin', Blue Skies, Goodbye To My Dancer, Never Gonna Be Another

Really? Black Capricorn Day is one of my favorite songs ever! Other than that I skip almost all of those as well Confused except maybe Blue Skies

grevatious

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 14:17    Reply with quote

Dye wrote:
grevatious wrote:

Well, You have to define "gone". Incognito, Brand New Heavies and James Taylor Quartet are Still jazzing it up! I don't think acid jazz is dead. I believe it has changed, evolved.

I mean the movement is not as prominent as it was in the early 90's.

Well that is true. It is a shame though Sad

eviltimeban

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 14:54    Reply with quote

I love "We Can Do It". Haven't heard the others yet.

grevatious

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 14:58    Reply with quote

eviltimeban wrote:
I love "We Can Do It". Haven't heard the others yet.

I like it, not love it - 7/10

Zsoma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 15:01    Reply with quote

grevatious wrote:
zeioIIDX wrote:

Really? Black Capricorn Day is one of my favorite songs ever! Other than that I skip almost all of those as well Confused except maybe Blue Skies

You skip Whatever It Is..? Light Years?? Black Capricorn Day?? Destitute Illusions?? Twenty Zero One?? The rest I agree on Dynamite and RDLS but any of the ones before would be a highlight on Automaton...

eviltimeban

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 15:13    Reply with quote

Songs I skip:

EOPE: none
ROTC: used to be The Kids but I like it now
TWM: Drifting Along, Spend A Lifetime
Synk: Capricorn Day, Where Do We Go From Here
AFO: none really, though Twenty Zero One would be least favourite
Dynamite: most of it
RDLS: all of it

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 15:42    Reply with quote

The good thing about not liking Deeper Underground is that I don't have to skip it because it isn't in any of the releases I own :^)

Vincenzo89

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 15:53    Reply with quote

eviltimeban wrote:
Songs I skip:

EOPE: none
ROTC: used to be The Kids but I like it now
TWM: Drifting Along, Spend A Lifetime
Synk: Capricorn Day, Where Do We Go From Here
AFO: none really, though Twenty Zero One would be least favourite
Dynamite: most of it
RDLS: all of it

Where do we go from here it's one of the Best Jazz/Funk song jamiroquai have done

For now i will skip all the songs i hear from Automaton , but i'm waiting for the other

andrezferreira

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 15:56    Reply with quote

Dye wrote:
If they had kept doing the same style of the first album over and over again, they wouldn't have lasted this long, that's what I think. The acid jazz movement is over, the 90's are over, all the musicians from that era are gone. It is time to move on (it has been for a long time).
Personally, as much as I love those first albums, they would've been stuck in Incognito mode, basically doing the same album and styles for decades.
Jay was smart enough to slightly change the sound from one album to the other. They didn't drastically change, but their sound has evolved and I think is gonna be quite fascinating to listen to Automaton in its entirety.

Totally agree with you Dye

smellbob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 16:39    Reply with quote

grevatious wrote:
zeioIIDX wrote:

I agree that Black Capricorn Day along with Canned Heat and Butterfly are my top tracks from that album.

I think the smooth bridge which is the best part of the song takes forever, but I love how they end the song with it. So nice.

I also have to say Light Years is not at all a bad song lol. Well to me it's not. Hooked Up is very underrated. Destitute Illusions is an alright song to me. Feels Just Like it Should I don't get why people hate. No it's not their style, but it's still a good song.

But all those other songs are kinda forgettable yes.

Tlum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 16:46    Reply with quote

!!! SPOILERS !!! SPOILERS !!! SPOILERS !!!

OK, after first two listenings, I make some points here to clear some things.

It definitely is not RDLS No.2. It has completaly different feeling. Sometimes more minimalism with special "Jamiroquai" touch (like lot of strings etc). For Rob, there are only two positions - to play simple guitar lick or a litle rock like solo. Some songs ending are in the place where I would like to listen to them farther so I really hope they will have some extended mixes of them (for example Something About You, Vitamin)
phunkynassau wrote:
There's a song by song review in the Dutch magazine Jazzism. The reviewer is pretty positive. A summary:

1. Shake it on - strong track, great refrain, many synthesizers, disco (Giorgio Moroder/Stevie Wonder/Bee Gees)

The Bee Gees feelings is because of strings. Stevie Wonder feelings is because of using of organ I think. Bass reminds me bass guitar from tracks from Patrice Rushen.

phunkynassau wrote:
5. Hot property - heavy bass synthesizer, Russian voice (!?), experimental soundscape, great bass slapping technique, shallow lyrics

Hahaha, no Russian voice in here. It is the antipiracy tag in the copy for press, nothing more. I don't think it will be in the final mix.
"Hot hot hot" reminds me once again Bee Gees era.

phunkynassau wrote:
6. Something about you - typical Jamiroquai, guitar part like Nile Rodgers, classic soul (Bootsy Collins/James Brown), great production

It reminds me some very concrete song but I don't know what one (the "feel like dancing" part). Nevermind - it is some sort of the song that sounds good on the first hearing but I don't think it will remain that good after ten or more listenings. We will see..

phunkynassau wrote:
7. Summer girl - party song, handclaps, strings and emphasis on percussion

Highlight for me. The very Jamiroquai like song from the 20th century. Lots of strings and some horns too! Nice bridge. "Slower Cosmic Girl" feeling. Prince reffering lyrics here - "no diamonds or pearls"!! Lots of backing vocals from the girls.

phunkynassau wrote:
8. Nights out in the jungle - long intro, Motown, falsetto, virtuous bass, monkey sounds (!)

Long (and we will see if it will be anoying after more listenings) beat (bass + drums); cowbells and not only monkey sounds, but more animals like sounds here (and percussions). Starting with the "Send me into hyperspace" (Cosmic Girl) or "Kick that switch and Hyper-Zoom!" (Everybody's Going To The Moon) like voice. Scratching during the last part of the song. And probably flute.

phunkynassau wrote:
9. Dr Buzz - (one of the) best track(s), great refrain and rhythm, 70s soul/disco, guitar solo

Goodbye To My Dancer feeling at the beginning. Saxophone solo before the guitar one (no other horns, only solo). Every oldschool Jamiroquai lovers will be in love with the second part of the song I think.

phunkynassau wrote:
11. Vitamin - very uptempo, classic soul (Isaac Hayes/Curtis Mayfield), soprano saxophone solo ('at last some horns')

Synkronized/TWM feeling for me. Once again clasic Jamiroquai with a little bit more.

phunkynassau wrote:
12. Carla - great song, should be next single, style and sound like Stevie Wonder's Talking Book album

This is deffinitely not the song for only one listen. Great dealing with the "main topic" (BIG LYRICS SPOILER "Carla. I want the world to see how much you mean to me. Carla. Noone can ever know that way you make me glow. I give you anything - my life my world I bring. Look what You've done to me! You've make my life complete. Carla. Carla.") and also great "last song". Sometimes French film soundtrack feeling (from the 80's). It is really strong one, but not the song for the next single in my opinion.

So that is my point of view. More I will know after this Thursday evening after my interview with Matt. It will be sent here right after its broadcast in our radio show sometimes in the next week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

wounded buffalo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 17:40    Reply with quote

Thanks Tlum, that sounds really promising.

I like We Can Do It, it's quite simple but there's a real groove to it which Superfresh just doesn't have IMO.

My ratings so far:
Automaton: 9/10
Cloud 9: 7/10
Superfresh: 3/10
We Can Do It: 7/10

iPoriel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 17:46    Reply with quote

Interesting interview : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuucvVaDcGw

The original was deleted.

Just click on the YouTube info under the video to listen the sample - or wait until the release Smile

Javis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 17:57    Reply with quote

Looking at the tracks you guys skips it becomes more evident we all have different tastes and if you like a song or not doesn't mean anything, because others might like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 42 of 61

Jump to: