jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

Jamiroquai in Singapore: A Fanatical Funk Odyssey PART 3+4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai In Concert
View previous topic :: View next topic  

davina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 06:31    Reply with quote

Jamiroquai in Singapore: A Fanatical Funk Odyssey PART 3+4
For an intro and the first two parts, refer to http://www.jamirotalk.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1983. To view the full album with large 'n' lovely high-resolution pictures, check out http://kinkyzebra.multiply.com/photos/album/2

Jamiroquai in Singapore: A Fanatical Funk Odyssey (Part Three)
by Davina
Uploaded 22nd Feb 2002

See this picture?

This is me.

No, not the one in the silly hat, the other one.

Yeah. That's me.

That's me in Singapore.

That's me on a stage in Singapore.

That's me with Jay Kay of Jamiroquai on a stage in Singapore.

And this is my story.

Like in Parts One and Two, I only have the memory of mine and a few others as a form of reference, and that the truth may be distorted from a first-person perspective. My apologies in advance. I recommend a read through Part Two to get a clearer overview of the situation before reading this article, as I'm going to start this off rather abruptly...

Jay is finishing off the second song, 'Cosmic Girl'. I have originally planned not to flash my banners so early into the show, but Ivan beside me seems more eager than I am to show them!

"Davina! Your banner!!" Ivan shouts at me.

I'm so caught up in the song that for a split moment I don't know what he's talking about. "Huh?! Oh yeah, okay!"

Whoever went to the Xfresh launch on January 5th must have seen the red and yellow drapery that decorated the stage area. I took home several metres of yellow cloth that day. Razz I then bought some red paint and came up with something in one night, just 3 days before I left for Singapore. After painting the banner, I found out that I had a bit more space at the end to make another smaller banner. Luckily I had something else in mind to write.

When I got to the stadium that night, I was a bit surprised to be the only one who came with a banner (two, in fact!), with the exception of these two guys to my far right who flashed a banner at Nick before the concert. It simply said, 'WHERE'S ZENDER?' (Stuart Zender is the ex-bassist of Jamiroquai). Luckily Nick didn't take it personally; he just gave a lighthearted shrug.

I grab the bundle of cloth I've left on top of the railing in front of me. Which one is this one?, I ask myself. Oh, I doesn't matter... Just get it up!

It was the smaller banner.

'Cosmic Girl' finishes, and Jay walks around the left side of the stage, right in front of where we are standing.

"Quick!" Ivan helps me unfold it and the both of us hold it up. It's the one that says 'WHAZZUP, MUTHA-FUNKERS!"

It catches Jay's eye. He stops to take a quick glance, and walks away.

Huh?! It wasn't that offensive, was it? I look at the banner, and to my horror, it's covered in tattered paper.

It's back to front!! We're showing the wrong side!!

"Quick! Quick!" Ivan says.

We flip the cloth around and flash it again. But it's too late. Jay has already seated himself on the other side of the stage, ready to introduce the next song.

Bugger.

Ivan and Elzena share my anguish. "Don't worry, next time round!" they tell me.

So the third song, 'Main Vein', sails by, and when that finishes, Jay is on the left-hand side of the stage again.

"Quick! The banner again!!" Ivan shouts at me.

"Okay! Okay!"

I grab a banner. Again, I have no idea which one it is.

It's the big one... I need more help!

With Elzena on my left and Ivan still on my right, we unfold it and spread it out right across the front row.

My mother came out of the house one night to find newspaper scattered all over the floor, with an extraordinarily large, long piece of cloth spread right across the parking area, and me on top of it painting something in red. She tried reading what I wrote, and she started telling me all sorts of things that skeptical parents usually tell their children when they see them painting stupid banners. My dad came back from work later on and joined in the 'fun'.

"What makes you think that they are going to see that? Jay will be concentrating on his singing, he won't be bothered to read your banner!"

"It's so hard to read... all the letters are too close together!"

"It's such a long message! Believe me, he won't have any time to read it!"

"All the lights will be in their eyes... they won't be able to see the audience at all, let alone your banner!"

"And it's so big, too! You'll be blocking everyone behind you when you put it up!"

"And who do you think is going to help you hold that up? Did you ever think about that?"

And to top it all off, my dog walked all over my banners while I was watching them dry, making the 'C's look like 'O's and the 'K's look like 'R's. Bloody marvellous.

At this moment, my tummy is caught in a swirl of emotions. Anticipation, anxiousness, fear... Will he see it? Okay, it's pretty hard to not to see it because of its sheer size and it's in the front row, but will he read it? And if he does read it, will he heed to my request? Were mum and dad right about all those things they said? My head feels like exploding right now...

Jay walks right in front of where Elzena, Ivan and I are standing.

He sees something.

Oh.

He stops in his tracks, walks to the edge of the stage, and crouches down.

My.

And he starts reading out my banner.

GOD.

"I... know... hat's... a... bit... v-vish-ous... but... can... pls... come... b-boog..."

He seems to let out an expletive and the audience starts laughing. Oh, no. He can't read it. I am dead. I expect him to just forget about deciphering my banner and move on to the next song. But he insists.

"Oh, hold it up straight guys, hooold it straight!"

Elzena, Ivan and I bring it up and stretch out our arms until they are on the verge of dislocating themselves. Luckily, the cloth is thin enough for us (and the crowd behind us) to see through. I hold my breath.

And Jay tries reading out my banner again.

Veeerrry slowly.

Because my mum was right about one thing: it is pretty hard to read.

"Jay,... I... know... your... hat's... a... bit....... vicious..... but... can... I... please... come... up... there... and... boogie... with... you...?"

He looks at the three of us.

We bring the banner down, and Elzena and Ivan point crazily at me. I, naturally, point to myself.

He's going to say no. Definitely no. I know, Jay. Just say no.

The audience screams.

Time seems to slow down as my smile turns into a wide gape, watching Jay slowly grin a most mischievious grin. Still crouching, he beckons me with circling arm movements. It's impossible to mentally register.

I point to myself, shake my head and mouth out in disbelief, "Noooooo..."

He nods furiously and continues to call me on. The motherfunker isn't joking.

"NOOOOOO"

I turn to Elzena, who has transformed into a raving maniac.

"OH MY GOD!! DAVINA!! GO!!!"

Ivan and Elzena give me a boost as I try to jump over the railing. I almost plunge headfirst to the floor on the other side, but I feel someone hold my sides to lift me up and over. It's a security guard, and he's carrying me as though I'm as light as a teddy bear.

I pass my camera to a ballistic Ivan and make my way towards the side of the stage. The front row fans that I pass cheer me on. I am being guided and watched from all sides by security guards. A burly guy, presumably a bodyguard, then takes my hand and leads me to a small set of steps that lead to the stage.

I look down to take each step up, as Jay continues talking to crowd.

"We normally don't do this, but for this we'll make an exception... You just have to ask!"

I make my first step on the stage. Rob is standing nearby; he recognizes me. He glares at me, as if to say 'YeeeoooOOOUUU...'. I give him a shy smile and wave back. Nick also recognizes me and smiles. I turn around and...

The crowd...

is MASSIVE. The sea of faces is the most unreal thing I've ever seen in my life.

I then look at Jay. He turns his head, smirks and asks me, "So, are you ready?"

You know how you point at someone with both hands when you want to convey 'You da man'? Cornily enough, I did that to him with a cheesy smile thrown in for good measure.

He stretches his hand out to the spacious stage around him, and tells me that I can move wherever and however I want. I approach him to center stage...

He gives me a sideways hug, and the frenetic crowd is waving at me. Whether it is to welcome me on or to shoo me off, I am not completely sure.

Jay then says something else before asking me again if I am ready. I nod. And Jay signals his band to start the music.

I am clueless about what song is going to be played.

Oh crap, what have I gotten myself into...

The bass beats of "Little L" begin to flood the stadium.

I just stand there with a stupid grin on my face.

Davina, you're supposed to dance.

Oh yeah, okay.

I thank my brain for still functioning, and start to shake my bum just a little bit. Jay looks on cheekily.

I love dancing in general, but it's only recently that I've probed more into non-choreographed, off-the-cuff dancing. (Pretty obvious who inspires me.) I usually lock myself up in my room after work, play some good music and just dance with what little space I have on my messy floor. Or when nobody's at home, I blast the music from the living room and let myself loose all over the house. I'm definitely no pro. It was my own little personal thing... I had never planned to show off my moves to anybody, not even my family, let alone to my favorite band and 7,000 other people. A secret pastime was going to be revealed the first time. Which is why I'm so confused about why I didn't feel nervous up there. It most probably was because of my state of shock.

The music starts to kick in.

I quickly look around the stage.

Okay, let's pretend that this is my room.

I look at the audience.

And this is my dressing table mirror.

I look at Jay.

And this is... this is... Oh for Christ's sake Davina, just MOVE!

Jay does a little twirl, and I do the same. And that just triggers off everything.

I spin around the stage. I jump. I dip. I dive.

I frankly can't remember much of what I did. I'm just saying all this because that's what I must have done.

In short, I just boogie. And Jay hasn't even started singing yet.

When he does he turns to me. I look at him and mouth the opening lyrics back at him.

"There you were freakin' out... trying to get your head around the fact that you and me and love is dead..."

Jay looks straight at me, his beady brown eyes slightly hidden under the fur of his hat. It doesn't register. It's just too silly to believe. To me, I am now just watching the 'Little L' video with my head pressed right up against the television screen.

Jay diverts his attention to the audience. And I make my merry way to the other side of the stage, keeping in mind that Jay's hat is still indeed vicious.

I look at Toby. He's laughing his head off. Gosh, either he's just really taken aback or I look like a complete and utter retard. I think it's both.

At some points, I hear Ivan's signature screams. I crouch down to where Ivan and Elzena are, and wave at them.

Mid-way into the song, Jay sings the song at me again, this time with his arm outstretched towards me.

Is this an offer to hold my hand?

I do the same thing to him; I warily keep myself just out of reach, my fingers just barely touching his.

Go for it.

I hold his hand. He holds it firmly and smiles with approval.

HOLY ****!!

He takes me to the front of center-stage and continues singing with my hand in his.

He eventually breaks away, and I carry on doing my own thing. Unfortunately, I get so absorbed into trying to leave a good impression that I forget to savor the stadium's 'double-clap' moments during the chorus.

Miraculously, no bodyguard in sight to drag me away yet. And I get to stay on stage for the entire song. Which is a bad thing in a way, because I start running out of moves. Towards the end of the tune, I end up doing monotonous moves in one spot. Gosh, why are they extending the length of the song so much?!

It's difficult to tell at what point the song will end. It does eventually. And thankfully, I stop dancing just in time.

The audience screams. I look out into the stadium and smile in wonderment of the whole situation.

Jay turns to me, beaming from ear to ear, as if to say "You go, girl!" He then comes over to me and gives me the biggest hug that I've ever received from such a skinny bloke.

By this time, Jay is saturated from top to toe in sweat, his shirt clinging to his chest and back. I feel his stubble rubbing against my cheek, and at this point, I feel dizzy. I hear the piercing screams fade away into the distance, and all I can do now I laugh. At one point I don't believe that Jay is hugging me, until I hear him chuckle back right into my ear. The only words that I manage to utter are an orgasmic-sounding "Thank you!" and he laughs again.

He releases his hold and shows me to the audience. "Let's give a big round of applause for this lovely young lady!" He says, and they do just that. I mouth a 'thank you' to them and wave. I then make worshipping gestures to the band and they all acknowledge with laughs and clapping.

I look to the side of the stage, and the burly guy who led me up is now motioning me down. Time's up! I turn one more time to the audience to wave, and I step down.

The security guards surround me again. I'm headed towards the front row from where I came from, but the guards say "No! No! Cannot!" One of them takes me by the hand and I follow him... aaaaaaallll the way to the back of the standing area.

Aw, maaaaaaaaaan...

I hear Jay commenting on my 'performance', ending with something along the lines of me "getting my wages next month".

Tick, tock, tick, tock...

I get a few compliments here and there from fellow fans that I pass. "Congratulations!" "Great stuff!" I humbly thank them.

I finally reach the back and I thank the guard before he deserts me.

No way am I going to stay here.

Time for some good manners.

I push my way through the front, trying my best not to offend anybody. Some look at me with an indifferent stare, while others smile and give way.

I miss out on enjoying a large portion of one of my favorite Funk Odyssey songs ('Love Foolosophy') during my long journey to the front.

I'm about to lose hope in getting back to my original place until I recognize a handful of people in front of me. I grab the shoulders of Ivan and Elzena and sing along to the song at hand. They excitedly welcome me back, but Ivan has bad news.

"I could only take one picture... The guards threatened to take away your camera!"

"Oh freakin' h*ll! Can't they make my camera an exception?!"

"I don't think so, sorry... But don't worry, I took a real good one of you hugging Jay!"

"Oh! Thank you so much!"

As you must have noticed, I look pretty dodgy in the picture, and so does Jay, but I guess that sort of balances out. And I look a bit squeamish about holding him, but the picture must have actually been taken when I was in the midst of getting a better grip. Just wanna let you know that I have NO problem whatsoever hugging a sweaty celebrity. ;P

Elzena is proud to tell me that the 'Space Cowgirl' she wrote on my arm before the show began was extremely prominent. Cool!

I asked Elzena to write it for me in coincidental conjunction with my attire for that night. Razz

And so the show goes on. I bounce along to the rest of the vibes with glazed eyes.

A song or two later, Ivan shakes me vigorously by the shoulders to bring me back to earth, but without much success.

"DAVINA! YOU WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!? YOU JUST DANCED WITH JAY!"

"...I did?" I say in bewilderment. He shakes me again.

"YOU DANCED WITH JAY KAY, YOU B**CH!"

"...I did?"

He can't believe it, and I don't know what to make of it myself.

Soon after another song, Jay comes over right in front of us. He looks in my direction, beams, and starts making worshipping gestures. Is he doing it at me? I'm not too sure, but I'm not taking any chances. I return the gestures in synchrony with Ivan's right behind me. Jay laughs and resumes the song schedule.

I guess it was for me, after all... And for a somebody like him to do something like that to a nobody like me, it was a HUGE honor.

Throughout the rest of the show, Jay sneaks some quick glimpses at me. He always seems to look in my direction with a knowing glint in his eye, but I shake off the implausible notion. But Rob does happen to look at me at some points and smile back.

Since that night, I've been given very small honorable mentions in a few concert reviews here and there. One I find the most amusing is one from a Singapore paper, that had something written about the concert the very next day:

Quote:
A fan danced with lead singer Jay Kay and provided a good laugh for the rest.

Jay Kay invited her up when he read out a banner she held aloft: "Can I come up there and boogie with you?"

Before we knew it, she was up there, dancing like she had been rehearsing for this moment the whole week.

The audience cheered when she ended. Happy, perhaps, that she finally decided to stop trying to steal Jamiroquai's thunder.

The thought of being anonymously famous is rather outlandish, to say the least. But it is pretty cool.

My serious thoughts on those six minutes on stage with Jamiroquai? Please don't ask me at this moment in time. I'm still on the long road to recovery from the shock of it all. Ask me about it today and I will shake my head in disbelief. I mean, out of all those fans, out of the 7,000-odd people there, why me? It baffles me. I look at that one picture today and even when I say it in my head, it still doesn't convince me that I danced with Jay Kay. I woke up the very next day wondering if it was a dream, and then I looked down to see the writing on my arm and I almost fell out of bed in fright. And it didn't help to find that the memory itself was nothing but a hazy mish-mash of bright lights and loud sound.

The only thing that I can clearly remember, strangely enough, is Jay's stubble jabbing my cheek when he hugged me. Go figure.

-End of Part Three-

Next Week:
The concert aftermath. Davina says her byes, but not before she makes a final attempt to see the band members. And will she get a chance to talk to Jay? Find out soon in the fourth and final part of the Xfresh Jamiro-journal!

Jamiroquai in Singapore: A Fanatical Funk Odyssey (Part Four)
by Davina
Uploaded 12th Mar 2002

In Part 3, Davina tried her best to recall an unforgettable experience - one which she ironically and most conveniently couldn't remember very well. Her little bopping session with Jamiroquai's Jay Kay has left her in a whirl, but the night can't last forever...

The concert is finally over. Stunned, I remain holding on to the railing for some stability. The crowd slowly disperses and I can finally breathe again. Elzena, Ivan and I stick around for a while and engage in some impish chatter about what we had just experienced. Where is Sula and Brian? I don't see any sight of them... I guess they already left the building. Oh dear... At least I can keep in touch with them when I get back to Malaysia.

Just as a side note, Ivan has very recently read Part 2, and has told me that I left out something interesting - thanks for the memory jolt, Ivan! There was one part in the concert when Jay was talking about his new video, and Ivan, being his unruly self, shouted out, "YOUR VIDEO ROCKS, MAN!" Surprised, Jay looks at him and says, "Thanks, mate!"

For others who don't have the slightest idea of what's going on, please refer to Parts 1-3 of 'Jamiroquai in Singapore: A Fanatical Funk Odyssey' that can be found in the Xfresh Out and About section.

I feel all eyes on me as people walk past. Fans from the seated areas above also look down and point. I suddenly feel two feet small.

The guy standing behind me during the concert asks for a picture of us, and I happily pose with my now-famous banner with Elzena and Ivan.

"Now we have to get back your recorder!" Elzena reminds me. "We have to look for this guy called Sam."

I smuggled in a digital recorder into the stadium. Security nabbed it from Elzena when they saw me pass it to her before going on stage. Not like I was planning to make a profit from a bootleg recording or anything like that, but hey, these guys are just doing their job.

We find Sam soon enough, and he tell us to follow him. Elzena obligingly accompanies me, and we tell the other guys Ivan, Wen Sheng and Anand, to meet us outside the stadium.

We follow Sam through the left row of lower seats, in the direction of the stage. We cross the front row railing, and another security guard looking on approves of our access with a nod. We turn to the left and walk down a small, green hall that leads us outdoors. We pass a railing barrier at the entrance, where I see some fans loitering around.

Elzena turns to me and says softly, "You know what, Davina?"

"What?"

"We just walked through the secret passageway - the one the band uses!"

"Oh, we did? Cooool..."

We head to a security office, where Sam leaves us in the hands of another guard, of whom hands me back my digital recorder safe and sound. But just as suspected, it's minus any form of previously existing sound files. Including the recording of Jay reading out my banner. Thankfully, this guard isn't your typical cocky type. I thank him gracefully for the safe return of my recorder (I thought I wasn't going to see it again!), and he wishes me well.

As we head back towards the 'green hall' area, I whisper to Ezlena: "Hey, you know what? They didn't erase everything..."

"Davinaaaaaa..."

"You know, when we talked to Rob and Nick before the show? I taped some of it and put it put it in 'lock' mode, which means that you can't erase it unless you know how to..."

"Oh my god. Davina, you cow."

"I know."

I guess that now explains the high detail of Part 1. Razz

The number of fans surrounding the backstage exit is still minimal at the moment. We join Ivan there, but he isn't sure where Wen Sheng and Anand are. Rob comes out shortly after, and the fans shout their praises to the guitarist who really made in impression on stage despite it being his first time touring with the band. Rob thanks everyone modestly, and comes over to sign some autographs and pose for photos. Rob sees me and compliments my dancing skills, and I humbly thank him. "You know what my secret is?" I ask him later.
"No, and what would that be?"

"Dancing in the bedroom."

"Dancing in the bedroom? Wow, it must have really paid off, then!" an amused Rob replies.

While we wait for the appearance of Jay Kay, some people recognize and congratulate me; one of them bears an uncanny resemblance to Kate Moss.

We eventually do see Wen Sheng and Anand in the distance behind us, and they seem to be talking to someone. Could it be Nick? Elzena wonders whether she should take her chances and run over there to get his autograph on her ticket, if it is him. Despite my coaxing to go for it, he reluctantly sticks around with me and Ivan. Wen Sheng and Anand walk over to us, and Wen Sheng proudly shows off a half-full bottle of beer in his hand. "Hey, Nick gave this to me! Should I finish it?"

I give him a sinister glare, but he takes no heed and takes a clean swig.

"OH my god. There goes like 2 million bucks. Now it's worthless!" I cry.

Wen Sheng just smiles.

Toby comes out, and flashes go off everywhere. Toby first goes to a huddle of guys on the other side of the railing. After some signing and shaking hands, Toby takes a camera from one of them and takes a picture of himself with the rowdy guys laughing behind him. Meanwhile, Rob has been talking to a female crew member and making frequent disappearances into the hall.

Toby comes around to where Elzena and I are standing. I ardently ask him for an autograph and a picture, and agrees with a smile. He leans over the railing to pose with me after signing my inlay (He's gigantic!). He doesn't say anything to me at all the entire time, but I could sense that he knew who I was.

After half an hour of waiting, the moment has finally come. Jay comes out, and everyone starts screaming for him. "I have to go now, bye!" He tells everyone with a wave.

The fans shout louder for him, waving back with pens and merchandise to sign.

"I have a plane to catch first thing tomorrow morning!" Jay says, and he carries on walking.

The fans let out a huge "Aaaaaaawww!" And beg him to stay just for a while.

Jay does stop. He turns around and tells everyone with a shrug, "I'm a superstar, I don't do autographs!"

"Please Jay?" I hear many fans plead.

"Okay, take all you want now," Jay says and poses momentarily for some camera shots.

"So take care..." he continues. He then looks at me straight in the eye and points at me with both hands while still talking to everyone, "...and I'll see you all soon. Bye!"

"Bye!" we all say.

As he disappears into the tour bus that promptly drives away, everyone waves, with a strain of disappointment lingering in the air. Elzena looks at me with a face of disgust and calls Jay something which cannot be mentioned in this article. Razz I agree. I suppose that's just Jay. Good ol' cocky Jay. He had the cheek to say that he was a superstar! Heck, without him, he wouldn't even BE one! Arrogant little fart. Okay sorry, I don't know what came over me. I'll stop now. So anyway, all of us should have seen that coming.

As a form of condolence for all who were waiting there for the past half an hour for the moment of truth that fell flat on its face, the other band members appear one by one and head towards the two tour buses. Some are lucky to catch them to take some quick photos and an autograph. Again, I miss out on an encounter with Sola whilst running out to see the buses getting ready to leave; the most we can do is just wave at him and Derrick while they board. The three backup singers are close behind. I shout out to one of them, "Hey girl, I dig your voice!"

She laughs and says, "Thanks, I dig your moves!"

I thank her with a laugh too and wave the singers goodbye.

Soon, all the tour buses have left the venue, and the excitement dies down. A few fans still hanging around comfort themselves by striking up chats with the remaining crew members. I hear from other fans that the DJ Roy 'The Roach' Marsh is still around and has signed autographs for some people. Ivan, Elzena, I head back to the backstage area hoping to meet him, but we instead talk to another guy who I initially mistook for him.

The crew member recognizes me and starts to tease me about becoming famous and then neglecting my friends and having that typical celebrity attitude problem. Remembering what happened just minutes ago, I laugh cynically. A Jamiroquai fan comes up and asks for his autograph. He seems surprised, and turns to another crew member behind him and says, "Hey hey, I'm famous now!" As he happily signs his first-ever autograph, I ask him, "So, what do you..."

"Do? I'm the guy who just stands around and doesn't do s**t and get paid for it!"

We all convulse into laughter. This guy's pretty cool! It's time for him to go and we say goodbye.

Ivan, Elzena, Wen Sheng, Anand and I ponder about whether the band is going to party or head for their hotel to call it a day. The time is coming close to 11.45p.m. I am curious about what the Zouk logo was doing on the concert promo poster, so I suggest going there or Velvet Underground (two popular clubs in Singapore under the same roof). Unfortunately, everyone has already organized a ride home after the show, and I didn't want to get my aunt and uncle worrying about my whereabouts either. I borrow Ivan's cellphone and reluctantly call my aunt's house.

I found out later that there was an after-party at Velvet Underground. If only I followed my gut feeling and went! But that would have caused inconvenience for my aunt, who was waiting for my call for her to pick me up right after the show; bad enough that I delayed that call after waiting around backstage. If there's ever a next time, I'll throw caution to the winds and just take my chances.

It starts to drizzle. *Gasp*, I realize that I am holding only one of my two banners! I swore I came out of the stadium carrying two! Ivan says that security may have already chased everyone out, but asks if I want to try going back into the building anyway to look for the missing banner. I hesitantly say no. It would be too hard to find, and I tell him that at least the more 'important' banner is with me. But just in case something happens to it, I ask for a picture to be taken of it.

Shortly after exchanging contact numbers with each other, Elzena's ride home arrives. Wen Sheng, Anand, Ivan say goodbye and wave her off; I feel blessed to have met her here.

I follow Wen Sheng and Anand and Ivan to the bus stop further out at the main road. Ivan is planning to take a taxi home, while Wen Sheng and Anand are waiting for a bus that will take them near a friend's house that they are staying over at. I find out that the two of them are also returning to Malaysia tomorrow, but in the afternoon (my trip was due in the morning). Ivan manages to flag down a taxi (it's so wonderful to flag down taxis in Singapore because they pass by so frequently), and we see him off. Wen Sheng and Anand also promptly depart from the bus stop after spotting the right bus to take them to their friend's house (the thing about taxis can be applied to buses too). They leave me alone to frolic about the crumbled cement by the sidewalk, to play with my shadow under a brightly lit streetlamp, to fling my head back and let cool droplets of light rain fall on my face, to let a fresh memory seep into my brain.

My aunt and uncle soon turn up to take me home, and I make sure that the trip back isn't a quiet one. My groggy aunt and uncle are kept wide awake with my bewildering twaddle about the concert, and something about a banner and a dance and a hug from a guy called Jay sprinkled in between.

Later on at the house, after bouncing off the walls and being laughed at my aunt (who subsequently calls me 'very cute'), I am too shocked to do anything. Too shocked to bathe, too shocked to pee, too shocked to sleep. I sit in front of my bag that desperately needs packing and gaze wondrously at the floor instead. I eventually do bring myself to lie on my bed at the prompting of my other aunt (who woke up to go to the loo), and an hour later, the unbelievable happens: I fall sleep.

Elzena said that it was only going to hit me the morning after, and it did - partially, but not enough yet to be convincing. My aunty tells me that my mother called while I was still sleeping, and she told her that '(my) dream came true'. And what did my mother do? Laugh. (That was supposed to be my job.) I gingerly board the bus after saying my goodbyes and many thank yous to my uncle who drops me off at the departure venue.

Whilst at the stop for customs check, I wonder what on earth I should frustratingly do for a full five hours with nobody to discuss the concert with. I look at a girl seated next to me.

Now just what makes me think that she was there last night?

I sigh to myself and look the other way.

"Excuse me..." I hear from the same girl.

"Yes?"

"Were you by any chance at the Jamiroquai concert last night?"

"Yes I was..."

"...And were you the one who danced with them up there?"

"Yeah, I did!"

"Oh! I recognized you from that writing on your arm there!..."

I laugh and thank God for giving me a travel companion. It's going to be a pretty interesting trip home...

"My name's Jessica."

"Davina."

The end. Finally. Xfresher Davina thanks you and hopes you enjoyed your ride aboard her Fanatical Funk Odyssey. You may now slowly peel your hands off the hand railing, unfasten your seatbelts if you can still feel your fingers, and pray to God that Jamiroquai won't come down to Asia anytime soon so you don't need to agonizingly sit through another 4 articles when Davina blows her savings account to see them again...

Last edited by davina on Tue Nov 30, 2004 01:06; edited 7 times in total

FRA
Jamily Coach & Correspondent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 06:41    Reply with quote

.....DAVINA!!!!!

u r a lucky woman! Wink

http://www.myspace.com/frajamiroquaiaddicted
www.jamitaly.altervista.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

cheeeba lover

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 07:43    Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked
I READ EVERY SINGLE WORD YOU WROTE LIKE A BOOK!!!
WHAT A GREAT STORY!!!!! Very Happy Cool Cool Cool Cool

crazy buffalo man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 08:05    Reply with quote

Davina! i loved how you wrote it! i read everything..i even found myself laughing loud at times! LUCKY GIRL! Very Happy

aYa
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

VirtuallyInsane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 14:42    Reply with quote

GREAT read Davina!! Mr. Green Brought back memories of when I first got my internet access & started looking for all manner of Jami gems. I remember reading this back then when you first posted it & thinking what a funky lucky girl you were!! Since then it's been good to know ya!! Hopefully talk soon... 2goodvibes

~ Yvie ~

davina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:28    Reply with quote

aw gee golly whiz, thanks guys *blush* glad you enjoyed the read! Very Happy
i've been reading through it before posting it up and the experience feels like yesterday again - i actually forgot about some small details which i've mentioned! so yes, if you get to do anything cool with the group, make sure you record it in a way that NO memories fade whatsoever.
speaking of which, i've heard about a few ppl who recorded the concert on video - boy would i just LOVE to watch that Embarassed

Ah, those were the days, eh Yvie? Miss you to bits Wink

PietroChocko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 08:49    Reply with quote

that was the best EVER review of a concert in a first-person view!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ur a lucky girl davina!!

Catman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 19:02    Reply with quote

im remember reading that when it happen'd awhile back its pretty amazing ay! Very Happy hehe g00d on ya Very Happy

KMackdaddy1972

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 14:09    Reply with quote

Davina,

That must have been a great experience and thanks for sharing it!

Peace,

KMack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

muzzander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:57    Reply with quote

i was sooo closee to be in that concert....damn examination.. Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiroquai In Concert All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: