jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

The Reggae Resurrection: Matisyahu!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Music & Musicians
View previous topic :: View next topic  

JamiroFan2000
Correspondent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 20:39    Reply with quote

The Reggae Resurrection: Matisyahu!

buffaloman_R Hello, buffaloman_R

Please don't let the topic heading fool you, just really great to see ACTUAL Reggae coming back into the forefront of new American Musical Interests. Since Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley's amazing new album "Welcome To The Jamrock" in 2005, a new name has come up, with a unlikely source....

Matisyahu make look like your usual timid Hasidic Jewish Rabbi, but beneath that exterior, beats the heart of a innovative Reggae artist whom seems to be channeling "Bob" through all of his "forest thick" songs. I first heard of him late last year with his live album "Live At Stubbs", but easily brushed him off as a "gimmick act". But in "second wind", his songs are so deep and amazing, that I just had to give him a second chance. From the costume closure of "Warrior", to the pistol lipped beatboxing of "Beatbox", Matisyahu is the real deal.

For 2006, Matisyahu has returned with a thoroughly exciting and spiritually reinforcing debut studio album called "Youth". It is no mystery why he is a artist to watch, whose lyrical delivery rivals other reggaeton artists like Bounty Killer, Elephant Man and many others. "King Without A Crown" is the "crown jewel" of the new album and anyone whom loves Reggae, on merely a respect factor OR just loves it, MUST check out this album when they can. You can also learn more about Matisyahu at his official site here: Arrow http://www.matismusic.com Thanks for listening and enjoy Matis! Peace!

Sincerely,
JamiroFan2000

deesh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 23:37    Reply with quote

i'm not much into reggae anymore since it went so commercial. i blame sean paul - i can't stand him. i mean strongly dislike him. he jus sounds so phony and those songs of his are hideous.

but damien marley is so beautiful that i don't care what comes out of his mouth. he has his fathers defined and sexy features (in my opinion). his album was actually ehhh..alright. one of those to burn off someone else, not buy.

and matisyahu - ummm, no! i'll pass. although he has a huge fanbase. he is selling out concerts everywhere. i'm just not feeling him at all. i think he uses the 'hasidic jew' thing as a gimmick personally to help his popularity. that might not be his fault though and more of the media's or the people steering his career. like i said..i'll pass

*edit* and i think reggae isn't dead to be resurrected. maybe in america, because we water down cultures. reggae is a culture, not just a musical genre. it is thriving in the carribbean where it originates from...it never died. this crap that we label as reggae is so shameful to the true reggae artists and culture*rant over Smile

jgrizz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 00:24    Reply with quote

Cool BRent....This guy is all I have been listening too lately!!!!!!!!!!!!

he's just blowing up everywhere and it's pretty amazing, he's influencing my own music........just awesome dub style reggae with a poositive message.........

I am christian by default but jew or christian or whatever it may be...it's very positve and spiritual.....

Laughing the musicians are really great as well and they are mostly the best LIVE .....I have a few shows now from www.archive.org complete sets

and I am realyy picky when it comes to music .....JMQ JMQ JMQ""" """ """

Wink Wink Cool Cool Cool bless I ..........peace

almatri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 01:06    Reply with quote

deesh wrote:

and i think reggae isn't dead to be resurrected. maybe in america, because we water down cultures. reggae is a culture, not just a musical genre. it is thriving in the carribbean where it originates from...it never died. this crap that we label as reggae is so shameful to the true reggae artists and culture*rant over Smile

You're right Smile I live in the west indies, and reggae is still the music style the most listened here...
And imo Sean Paul is not really doing reggae (well except for 2 songs maybe...), it's more dancehall/ragga. But I agree with you, he's doing crap now :/

samiam688

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 22:07    Reply with quote

funny story
i saw them live and after the concert they were blaring
mein vein through the speakers as the venue was clearing

jgrizz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 17:43    Reply with quote

Quote:
funny story
i saw them live and after the concert they were blaring
mein vein through the speakers as the venue was clearing

That's cool Samiam, I downloaded that show, it's really good.!

I can't wait til they come back I will go for sure.

peace

~J

deesh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 13:38    Reply with quote

OH MY MY MY MY - I got free tickets to see Damien and Stephen Marley last night.

And, got to meet Damien briefly. Geeez, that man is beautiful and so sexy..woo! Laughing

I went mainly for Clayton who likes them both, but ended up having a great time. They put on a wonderful show. So much energy, sing some of their fathers famous tracks and just all around give the audience every penny's worth.

I suggest anyone who can - see these 2....you will love it..I promise! Razz

jgrizz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 14:15    Reply with quote

Laughing That's awesome Deesh! I've only seen Ziggy live....how was Stephen?

I always liked his vocal in the early Ziggy years.... I though he sounded the most like Bob....

Did they perform together? or separate acts?

peace

deesh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 20:06    Reply with quote

Hey J -

Stephen has a great raspy Rasta voice. It didn't sound like he was straining or trying to hard or anything. It was just write and altered a few times to fit the style and vibe of the song.

Dope!

jgrizz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 19:37    Reply with quote

Matisyahu is on tour right now Stubb's in Austin TX again!

I might be going to the Aneheim Grove show Nov. 20th 2008 anyone else going to see Matis anywhere else?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Music & Musicians All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: