jamirotalk.net header image

Impressum / EditorialEditorial  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Private messagesPrivate messages  Log inLog in

I'm tired
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

ElTouffoDrum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 21:33    Reply with quote

And money change everybody !

It's possible -with celebrity, money and drugs- that Jay had a very bad behaviour at the Synkronized - Funk Odyssey time. Now he left Sony and the system he became more sympatic. Not the jumpy space cowboy he was, but a great mister. But some consequences still irreversible...

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 05:16    Reply with quote

I wonder if anybody criticized Marvin Gaye when he stopped singing about hitchhikers in the '60's.
Laughing
And in 1970 he wrote his very political album "What's Going On" which Barry Gordy Jr. didn't want to release (b/c he didn't want controversy) but it sorta became Gaye's most famous album.
Then Gaye went into his sexual revolution phase from "Let's Get it On".

I think his music is all over the place, and yet he is revered as one of the greatest singers, maybe. And everybody seems to be rediscovering him today. His music lives on, regardless of the life Marvin lived.

Blame? for the change? change can be good.
I actually realize I'm not a huge fan of some of the (vocal) style in the first 2 albums. (I wrote about this on the other blog.)
But they're still great songs.

ragadoodles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 08:05    Reply with quote

Why does it need a good reason for something not to like? I'm not a music expert and it´s not my thing to dissect and analyze every note or word of a song or album.
Music should make me happy ,make me feel good and let me flying higher than a pig in space but since DY and RDLS they don´t make me happy, they bore and disapoint me.
Jamiroquai belongs to this rare kind of arists that have something special, its own distinctive sound but they lost this uniqueness.
Other Bandmembers do other Music projects beside Jamiroquai,but Jay becomes a lazy, convenient snob and as long as to have a good lifestyle are more important than his music, I do not expect much from the Band. What they do today is not even cheap mainstream, not enough for a chart placement and surley no enought to make long lasting impressions in the history of music.

Zsoma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:53    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
I wonder if anybody criticized Marvin Gaye when he stopped singing about hitchhikers in the '60's.
Laughing
And in 1970 he wrote his very political album "What's Going On" which Barry Gordy Jr. didn't want to release (b/c he didn't want controversy) but it sorta became Gaye's most famous album.
Then Gaye went into his sexual revolution phase from "Let's Get it On".

I think his music is all over the place, and yet he is revered as one of the greatest singers, maybe. And everybody seems to be rediscovering him today. His music lives on, regardless of the life Marvin lived.

Blame? for the change? change can be good.
I actually realize I'm not a huge fan of some of the (vocal) style in the first 2 albums. (I wrote about this on the other blog.)
But they're still great songs.

Marvin Gaye was a troubled soul but a revolutionare and visionare too, he didn't make album just for living (OK, he did Hear My Dear to pay off his ex wife but that's still an extraordinary piece of art with all its lyrics and melodies), Jay should never be compared to him, they're just not the same level.

In the last couple of years Jay seemed burnt out, he really seems a tired person on stage. Gigs have become like a routine just to be able to finance his luxury activities. Now that he's out of contract he's got nothing to lose, mainstream music changed in a way that his music would never be commercially acclaimed so he could simply do whatever he wants, yet he ends up doing stuff like Hurtin which neither old, nor new fans like at all.

Anyway, like irranteres I've also given up hope and high expectations to the band, I come up here like once every month and see if anything happened but usually there's nothing....

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 17:44    Reply with quote

Zsoma wrote:

Marvin Gaye was a troubled soul but a revolutionare and visionare too, he didn't make album just for living (OK, he did Hear My Dear to pay off his ex wife but that's still an extraordinary piece of art with all its lyrics and melodies), Jay should never be compared to him, they're just not the same level.

@Zsoma -nice pic btw!
Marvin was a revolutionary & visionary in What's Going On (didn't start out that way -it was probably developed from all the drugs). But when I first heard "Here, My Dear" I thought it was crap. (it's still not my favorite -he rambles all over the place, but we now see that as art).

Zsoma wrote:

In the last couple of years Jay seemed burnt out, he really seems a tired person on stage. Gigs have become like a routine just to be able to finance his luxury activities. ... yet he ends up doing stuff like Hurtin which neither old, nor new fans like at all.

Well Jay isn't that young Space Cowboy -but he still dances on stage. A feat most people in their 20's can't do! And maybe the last tour was to fund the next album. I see Jay as a musician, and not to live up to a visionary standard. Maybe that's the difference.
I know Marvin went bankrupt at one point, so he definitely needed the work! and Marvin did look a bit tired on stage in his 40's. Which can be expected.

but haha it's not about making you agree with me, we just see the same thing in a different light. and that's okay. Expect nothing from everything and you will be surprised.

I do think Jay's first passion may be cars, then music.
Hey -I like "Hurtin'"! It's a Rock tune. Wink Probably more Rob's influence with all that guitar. That actually sounds like a tune from my locale!

I don't have a lot of favorite bands, because I'm selective.
But I do love Jamiroquai. Because they got something nobody else got.

iranterres

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 23:05    Reply with quote

Well... I don't mind about Jay looking tired on stage, he's not young anymore.

But I cannot stand the uninspired gigs.

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 14:01    Reply with quote

I'm in too deep thinking about this stuff when I can't sleep!

Uninspired gigs? It's gotta be tough to always love your job. I hope with new music will bring inspiration, or vice-versa.

But to clarify, I think Marvin didn't start out as a revolutionary. He wrote about what was in front of him and wound up there. (and then on to sex).
I do think Jamiroquai started as a revolutionary. So to the early fans this was their purpose.

Back in '97 I probably didn't realize the true meaning of the lyrics of Virtual Insanity. My first impression of the band was the fact that they were playing something nobody else was. I didn't hear EOPE & TROTSC until 2010, so the message missed me. But we were all involved in that in the '90's -trying to make the world a better place- eating vegetarian, recycling, integration...

ophone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 17:25    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:
-trying to make the world a better place- eating vegetarian,

Well, and then we see Jamie Oliver roasting a big piece of meat at Jay's mansion. Wink

Poderfunk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 18:54    Reply with quote

Zsoma wrote:
yet he ends up doing stuff like Hurtin which neither old, nor new fans like at all.

i love it, specially the live versions with horns, is so rocky!
And I WILL SAY IT AGAIN I LOVE ROCK DUST LIGHT STAR, is one of their bests, if people around the world do not appreciate it, find a time machine and go to the years 60 or 70 or go listen to daft punk!
you all sad people go to bed or get out of here, always saying bad things to the band or jay, why don't you try to be happy and optimistic?

Jamiroquai only needs a little of lucky nothing more! like Daft Punk!

HoneyBee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 22:09    Reply with quote

somersault

Poderfunk wrote:
Quote:

clever line

and btw I'm not vegetarian

iranterres

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 23:12    Reply with quote

HoneyBee wrote:

and btw I'm not vegetarian

HoneyBee I always love your last lines Very Happy

Zsoma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:35    Reply with quote

Poderfunk wrote:

Daft Punk was "lucky", that's all? They have been working on their latest album for 4 years, knew exactly who they want to work with, what gear they want to use, what they want the album sound like and then they cleverly built up the whole commercial strategy, starting from the Get Lucky riff appearing during SNL in March. Go and do the research to figure out what RAM is all about.

And thanks for the advice, I DO listen to RAM for the past couple of months instead of RDLS...

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 14:09    Reply with quote

Everyone is talking about Daft Punk now, but a lot of people forget how monotonous, repetitive, and overall mediocre their previous album Human After All was.

Anyway, I keep reading stuff in this topic but I still don't get what the big problem is.

Javis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 15:15    Reply with quote

It's always the same story, fans getting bored by the lack of activity, long times between albums, etc. Some ppl don't understand jamiroquai is not , and will never be, what it was in the '90s, so they get frustrated and say jamiroquai sucks, but the reality is that, when a new album comes out, everybody is happy and jamiroquai turns to be the best band ever again.

Honestly, it's getting repetitive and boring to read these posts. You are tired of waiting? there are a lots of super interesting bands out there, start listening more music, discovering new artists should be exciting enough to keep you distracted until a new jamiroquai album is out.

You don't like latest jamiroquai albums?, well, that's only a matter of taste, being disrespectful won't take you anywhere, this forum is full of people who loves jamiroquai's music and can appreciate their latest work.
Personally, I think you must be very narrowed to say RDLS or Dynamite sucks, of course they are very different to the earlier ones, but there are plenty of good songs in these albums.

So, summing up, you are bored, I don't care, these crybabys posts are the only thing that sucks here.

Dye
Correspondent & Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 15:47    Reply with quote

Yes, that's my current feeling too. I agree with your post, Javis.
At the end of the day, it just feels like people talking s*it about the band just because they're bored and it's free.

There's so much music out there. In fact, I haven't been listening to Jamiroquai a lot this past year, I discovered a lot of stuff to keep my ears entertained until they come back with another album which is always such a big event for me. Like I said earlier, the simple fact that my favorite band is still making music is enough for me.

All this talk about the 90's version of the band vs. the current one is getting repetitive and it goes nowhere pretty fast, because it just doesn't matter anymore. It's in the past, you have the albums to keep listening to them, you have hours and hours of live concerts. Just... get over it.
The 'band isn't what it just to be' that pops up every now and then is just a moebius strip of a discussion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JAMIROTALK.NET Forum Index -> Jamiro-Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: